Difference between Titanic and cruise today

SheriNtexas

The idea that a cruise ship could sink today has me amazed. I didn't think that could happen anymore, and only a mile from shore too. What a very sad day. And there are two passangers missing still.

Not sure why you would think that couldnt happen. Passenger ships sink pretty regularly. Most often ferries. But ships do run aground, and get hit by bad weather, etc. Theres generally only about a half inch of metal between you and disaster. And, praise God, when they run aground, or have a fire or something, there is generally plenty of time, as in this case, to evacuate passengers and crew. I am amazed that apparently, only two people are missing.

but to quote someones signature line on this forum "theres still more planes in the sea, than ships in the sky"

I think the two passengers missing are a father and daughter, very sad. Cruise ships can and will sink, nothing is "unsinkable". The Titanic is a favourite of mine, truly a marvelous class of vessels. As tragic as her sinking was she is not even close to being the greatest disaster at sea, there have been some much worse.

actually, you make the ship go in circles by driving one side's props forward, and the other side in reverse. Even with Azipods

That is not true. Azipods turn. When the ship wants to turn sharply, the Azipods are turned 90 degrees.

That is not true. Azipods turn. When the ship wants to turn sharply, the Azipods are turned 90 degrees.

by reversing one pod 180 degrees from the other(they swivel 360 deg) the ship can spin in a radius of exactly the distance from the pods to the bow of the ship.

Not turn sharply, but spin.

by reversing one pod 180 degrees from the other(they swivel 360 deg) the ship can spin in a radius of exactly the distance from the pods to the bow of the ship.

Not turn sharply, but spin.

If the ship turns 90 degrees, it is a turn. If the ship turns 180 then it is spinning.

Getting back to the original thread.............................

Dinner in the specialty restaurant (Ritz Restaurant) on Titanic cost about $100 per person (without alcohol) in 1912. That same year the average American earned a total of $300.

In 1912, nobody had heard of Fixed Traditional Dining. You had a table assigned to your cabin for the duration of the cruise. You went to that table when you were hungry, possibly invited others to join you there, and stayed until you were ready to leave.

Mass feeding in shifts (later known as traditional fixed seating) only became "traditional" in the 1960s / 1970s.

• 4 weeks later...
NO WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST WHEN IT COMES TO LIFE BOATS THESE DAYS IT WOULD BE EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!:eek:

I can't believe no one mentioned this one yet....$30 SODA CARDS!:mad:

How about 15% gratuity for Bar drinks or the recommended tipping amounts in general? It's my understanding that tipping is very different overseas than in the Americas.:eek:

Another one I don't recall seeing.......Motorized Scooters! Watch out toes.:D

Teenagers in their OWN rooms while Mom & Dad are in a Jr suite on another deck. Families used to travel together & stay together (Maybe they were with the nanny on the Titanic).:p

Archived