More about Carnival's New Family-Unfriendly Policy Concerning Beverages

dande11

Well I think its about time, and it is from the people that have abused the system.

So lets get a recap

#1 No F-deck

#2 No extra fluids ( water, pop, rum...ect) because of abuse (prob)

#3.....???????? Maybe Formal night will become formal Night again :D ....oops thats another post

I may be a little tired today, but I take total offense to you post.

Have you ever tried to bring a Pizza Hut pizza into Chucky Cheese?

And then the overdramatizing of the "soda" and "bottled water" equals family. Since when don't people drink water from the tap anyway. . . .especially kids.

Agree or disagree with the policy is one thing. . . but making this an "anti-family" campaign is another.

Would you be offended if I called SRS and complained about your parenting. . . after all you are using your children (family) as a tool to try to get what YOU want. . . seems to me you are using them.

Geesh, that's a little harsh! What is wrong with you people anyway.

Like many of you who posted in an earlier thread, I, too, am unhappy about Carnivals's new no-water, no-soda beverage policy. My wife and I have taken 6 Carnival cruises in the last 18 months and have been satisfied with them until this latest money-grabbing stunt. My wife and I each bring a bottle of caffeine-free diet soda per day to take our early morning and late night medications, and a bottle of our favorite water to take with us on our shore excursions when we're in port. I called Carnival's Guest Relations today to confirm their new policy. What I found most interesting is that they said they'll confiscate your water or soft drinks without compensation, BUT EACH PASSENGER OVER THE AGE OF 21 IS STILL ALLOWED TO BRING A BOTTLE OF BOOZE ONBOARD! So how much sense does that make? Talk about inconsistency and hypocrisy! Here's to Carnival's corporate gurus!! Time to start looking for another cruise line if Carnival is going start all this nonsense. I guess they feel they haven't been squeezing a sufficient amount of money out of passengers.:mad:

You're probably right. It's one of the LEAST expensive ways for you to spend a week. You know it, we all know it. So no, they HAVEN'T been "squeezing" enough money out of passengers. It's cheapskates like you who give Carnival the reputation it has. If you think Carnival is "ripping you off" so badly, why don't you just take your money, go somewhere else, and see how far the same money gets you? If you can get the same or better cruise for less money, then go for it. Otherwise, quit whining about it - no one really cares and some of us are sick to death of the griping.

LOL! I think Carnival is a very family-friendly cruiseline. I cannot imagine having to tote cases of water/soda. It is hard enough keeping track of everyone's luggage and carry-on bags.

Last year, we pre-purchase most of our drink coupons. The tickets were a little less than paying regular prices (as compared to cost of drinks in 2005). There are separate tickets for regular drinks, alcoholic/non-alcoholic.

We'll continue to travel Carnival..... most of the passengers tend to purchase soda, waters, etc while onboard or at port.

I think this policy also co-incidentally (or not?) was implemented right before the spring break rush of cruises.

Like another poster said, it won't be long until people are smuggling water/soda in their bottles of wine. :D

Hi Kim! Not jumping in with a yeah or nay on this board . . . I posted on another board about this issue and got flamed . . . ouchy ouchy!

I'll be skeptical of this new policy until we actually hear from people who have had water/beer/liquor removed from their checked luggage. Carnival can say they don't allow people to bring drinks onboard, but until they actually start removing the drinks from checked luggage, it's still going to happen. People will just stop carrying it on, and will check it.

Everyone should stop freaking out, until (if?) it actually happens. Carnival has said forever that you can't bring alcohol onto the ship, but I've seen porters actually put smuggled beer on ice in cabins, and I've seen them bring in extra drinking glasses for smuggled booze, and I've NEVER heard of anyone getting alcohol or any other beverage removed from their checked luggage.

I think that Carnival may confiscate anything you try to carry on, but won't take it out of your luggage. I guess time will tell.

It's cheapskates like you who give Carnival the reputation it has. If you think Carnival is "ripping you off" so badly, why don't you just take your money, go somewhere else, and see how far the same money gets you? If you can get the same or better cruise for less money, then go for it. Otherwise, quit whining about it - no one really cares and some of us are sick to death of the griping.

Ok, let's see...no one cares and you're sick to death...then why post a nasty reply and bump this up to the top. Some people should really be ashamed of yourselves. So many people here seem to be so mean-spirited and can't wait to find something they don't agree with so they can bash. Where's the love?

RCI does not allow wine or any other alcohol to be brought on board but they do allow you to bring on board a reasonable amount of water and soft drinks. Of course this could also change since Carnival has now changed their policy. Time will tell. If folks want to be mad at anyone then blame the folks that brought the rolling coolers and suitcases full of beverages on board. Like someone stated earlier, you are going on a cruise and not a camping trip.

Gordon, according to the article here on CC, and according to some on the RCI board, they actually changed their policy before Carnival... of course, I don't see the "big stink" over there like there has been over here...

Before I knew about this new policy, my boyfriend and I were thinking of bringing some water with us, and then I decided it was my vacation and I don't feel like lugging water onto a ship, when they have perfectly good water ON the ship.

We plan to both get a soda card. It's vacation--live a little!

We're spending $80 on a soda card for two of us, and I guarantee you we're on the tightest budget out of anyone on here :D :D

If Carnival was upset that people were bringing cases of water/coolers onboard, why didn't they just limit the amount you are allowed to bring? I've never brought soda or water onboard, I'm just curious. They allowed such large quantities, then suddenly stop everyone from bringing ANYTHING onboard, it just seems that limiting it might have been a better answer. :confused:

Yes...even the cat gets bottled water....the tap water is terrible. No fancy brand or anything - just Pubix brand water.

But I dont' know - maybe it was the water but I didn't care for the tea, my kids didn't care for the juices, etc. Admitted we may be picky.

But so what? I'm not complaining about it but I would have liked to buy some "known" brands -- maybe Juicy Juice or whatever - especially for taking on excursions, etc. I don't mind paying for it. I just would have liked a few more choices. Maybe it was just this trip - but the drinks tasted a bit off.

Of course on previous trips I was drinking more alcohol than on this one.

Either way - I think it is a fair policy. It is like a movie theatre - -they make their money on concessions and not on ticket prices. I assume it is similar with Carnival.

If Carnival was upset that people were bringing cases of water/coolers onboard, why didn't they just limit the amount you are allowed to bring? I've never brought soda or water onboard, I'm just curious. They allowed such large quantities, then suddenly stop everyone from bringing ANYTHING onboard, it just seems that limiting it might have been a better answer. :confused:

They did try to limit it... they stated "a reasonable amount"... but sadly, many people have no clue what "reasonable" is and can't possibly survive without drinking a dozen mountain dews a day :p LOL They tried limiting, it didn't work...

People would continue to attempt to push the limits and complain when it was strictly enforced.

Kind of like when the speed limit is 35 mph and you go 45 mph and complain it was ony 10 mph over:rolleyes:

Kind of on topic, kind of not--

Is the soda card good for all types of sodas? I know on another CL someone said they specified which sodas (coke, diet coke, sprite, etc). I was surprised to see that. Would I be able to get a diet cherry coke or something?? Or do they specify which sodas you can get?

I'm sure it's a hassle, but so is paying $3 for a teenie bottle of water. If they didn't want people to bring so much, they should at least keep their prices reasonable. People are on the ship for a week, sometimes more, and most of them will spend plenty of money while there, why not stop overcharging them for bottled water, and keep everyone happy. I'd bet that Carnival can buy those bottles for about .18 cents each. If they are not allowing people to bring their own on anymore, they should lower the price, even a teensie bit.

People would continue to attempt to push the limits and complain when it was strictly enforced.

Kind of like when the speed limit is 35 mph and you go 45 mph and complain it was ony 10 mph over:rolleyes:

Good analogy! And then if they let the 45 mph slide, you get the, "Well...he got out of a ticket. I was going 50...that's only 5 mph over what he was going!" And then it just gets out of hand!

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. Makes sense!! Well, at least they tried, lol! Just goes to show, everyone's idea of reasonable differs greatly. They needed to spell it out!

I guess they thought if people were adult enough to go on a cruise, they were adult enough to be reasonable :p People just took advantage of it, and if a business sees an area they may be "losing" money on, they eventually will do something about it... But believe me, had they said that each person could bring on say a 6 pack, there would be people whining and moaning about that, that they drink a 6 pack a day, wha wha wha. Then they would have just brought on a case, to "try to get away with it", and then someone in line would have seen them take a case and done it on the next cruise, etc etc etc. Carnival can't win in this situation... and I guess rather than relying on the security guys to count drinks, they banned everything.

People get ruffled over the smallest crap.

I also have a favorite Spring Water that I love to drink. I would never consider packing it. I don't understand the mentality of lugging ANY beverages on a vacation, but that's me.

The bottled water on the ship isn't expensive. This was a surprise to me. I just discovered this on my last Inspiration cruise. I had previously always been content with the tap water but on this cruise it was totally undrinkable (don't know why) so I drank bottled instead. It didn't cost any more than what I'd have paid for it off the ship, so it didn't bother me to buy it. And although it wasn't 'my brand', FTLOG, I can certainly drink another brand for a week. (personally if I could live on a cruise ship I'd be happy to give up my favorite brand all together :D ) I say this as a VERY fussy water drinker. I can actually tell bottled waters apart....and they do all taste different, but not having your favorite for the length of a cruise and getting hysterical over it is really a bit dramatic donchathink????

Kind of on topic, kind of not--

Is the soda card good for all types of sodas? I know on another CL someone said they specified which sodas (coke, diet coke, sprite, etc). I was surprised to see that. Would I be able to get a diet cherry coke or something?? Or do they specify which sodas you can get?

Its good for al sodas, coke, sprite, diet etc...Plus if you drink alot of soda it can be a good deal

Archived