More about Carnival's New Family-Unfriendly Policy Concerning Beverages

dande11

If Carnival was upset that people were bringing cases of water/coolers onboard, why didn't they just limit the amount you are allowed to bring? I've never brought soda or water onboard, I'm just curious. They allowed such large quantities, then suddenly stop everyone from bringing ANYTHING onboard, it just seems that limiting it might have been a better answer. :confused:
The 'policy' has been a "reasonable" amount of soft drinks/water.. Has been for a good while, BUT.. When the rolling coolers, cases of pop/soda have been brought to the ship, they have finally decided 'enough is enough'..! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, people have a tendency to try to 'skirt the rules' by saying "It's reasonable".. Carnival is trying to take the 'policy' out of the hands of the Porter's who aren't even employeed by the cruiseline!:p

Personally (and I know I'm gonna' get flamed :eek: ), I think it is Carnival's prerogative to decide what, if any, their passengers are allowed to bring on the ship with them. IMHO! Oh Golly!!

"Troll alert" and you took the bait :D

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who intentionally posts derogatory or otherwise inflammatory messages about sensitive topics in an established online community such as an online discussion forum to bait users into responding.

Fred

Carnival gave an inch and people took a mile. I'm sure they'll eliminate the one bottle of wine eventually too. I don't buy the bottled water on the ship. I drink the ship water. It's purified. I seriously do not notice a difference from Deer Park vs. Carnival ship water. :shrugs I drink mostly water all of the time at home too.

Good analogy! And then if they let the 45 mph slide, you get the, "Well...he got out of a ticket. I was going 50...that's only 5 mph over what he was going!" And then it just gets out of hand!

Heard that excuse a million times.

Glama, the price of the water and other things are based on the cost to run the ship for that cruise plus a profit, not just the profit for the water.

believe me the cost of fuel, crew, insurance, maintance, etc. is not all covered by the cost of the cruise fare.

If people wanted a all inclusive price, i think they wold be sticker shocked at what it would cost.

the pricing is done way it is just keep people from passing out

Kind of on topic, kind of not--

Is the soda card good for all types of sodas? I know on another CL someone said they specified which sodas (coke, diet coke, sprite, etc). I was surprised to see that. Would I be able to get a diet cherry coke or something?? Or do they specify which sodas you can get?

It's for the sodas and juices they carry... I don't think they have diet cherry coke, but if they did, you could get it with your card... just can't use it for room service.

I spoke with the special needs dept at Carnival and they are allowing me to bring 1 case of water with me to mix my infant's formula. They said one case would be fine but I could try for two if I wanted. To be safe, I am bringing a doctors note stating that it was necessary to keep the same water for mixing the baby's formula to ensure no stomach upset.

If people wanted a all inclusive price, i think they wold be sticker shocked at what it would cost.

That's a very good point. Hubby and I were looking at all inclusives for this summer, and compared to cruising, they are WAY more expensive (all things considered). Especially because we'd choose a higher priced resort. We (of course) went back to cruising, where even when you are charged $3 for a bottle of water, it's still less expensive!

The above poster probably doesn't know it, but now people are gonna be smuggling babies on, just so they can bring water!!! ;)

That's a very good point. Hubby and I were looking at all inclusives for this summer, and compared to cruising, they are WAY more expensive (all things considered). Especially because we'd choose a higher priced resort. We (of course) went back to cruising, where even when you are charged $3 for a bottle of water, it's still less expensive!

The above poster probably doesn't know it, but now people are gonna be smuggling babies on, just so they can bring water!!! ;)

I got no problem with people being "outraged" with the prices, be can we please stop exagerating them?

Water is 2.25 for a regular, 3.50 for a litre bottle.

Or free. Take an empty water bottle up to the lido and fill it with water from the drink dispenser. It is purified at chilled and quite good.

I agree with this! We started looking into all inclusives when our cruise with NCL got cancelled this past weekend. Boy, we were shocked!

I got no problem with people being "outraged" with the prices, be can we please stop exagerating them?

Water is 2.25 for a regular, 3.50 for a litre bottle.

Or free. Take an empty water bottle up to the lido and fill it with water from the drink dispenser. It is purified at chilled and quite good.

Living in NY, I find some of these prices to be CHEAP! :eek:

I went to Six Flags this past summer, and a bottle of water was $3.50!

Everyone is spending thousands of dollars on a cruise and complaining about spending $2.25 on a bottle of water? :confused:

Sabrina, I was shocked too!!! You think "all inclusive, great", however, you pay through the nose for that food and drink! Not to mention the airfare to get to the beautiful destinations.

No wonder we've cruised so much, nothing else compares, even when they charge $2.25 for water!! ;)

I tried the baby thing, people wanted their babies back though..:eek:

It's for the sodas and juices they carry... I don't think they have diet cherry coke, but if they did, you could get it with your card... just can't use it for room service.

PCL didn't have it either when I cruised with them, so they just added the cherry grenadine to a diet coke :D

when you can purchase a case of water for $4.50, carnival's cost for a bottle is quite steep some may find.

Well certainly if you are going to compare it to grocery store prices, LOL! But do you do that at restaurants, sporting events, hotels, movie theaters, concerts, etc?? Everyone marks up drinks... I don't like going to a bar and paying $6 for a mixed drinks that has about $2 worth of alcohol in it, but if I want it, I pay it... I don't tell them "I can buy a fifth of that for $30" It's business, and their prices certainly aren't as high as I've seen at some of the venues listed above...

Goincruisin, that's a good point, but I think people are having a hard time with the fact that they'll be on the ship for a whole week, in their own cabins alot of the time, etc... It's just a little bit different than going to a bar for one night and paying higher drink prices. That said, I don't bring beverages, I'm just guessing how people feel, lol.

Thread # 82 on this same old...same old subject....

You all need to get over it.......You all can't bring it so get over it or book a flight to Aruba and carry your soda/water on the plane.

Oops...sorry......can't do that.:p

But, you can check it through. Remember though you are only allowed 50lbs of checked luggage per person. But you can always pay the extra cost for the weight of the water. One 16 oz. bottle is one pound. You figure it out.:eek: ;)

You pay $600.00 per person to take a cruise (if your lucky) and you are having a hissy fit over paying a couple of bucks for soda or water....

Drink iced tea...coffee....punch....OJ....lemonade......

"For free"......:D

Goincruisin, that's a good point, but I think people are having a hard time with the fact that they'll be on the ship for a whole week, in their own cabins alot of the time, etc... It's just a little bit different than going to a bar for one night and paying higher drink prices. That said, I don't bring beverages, I'm just guessing how people feel, lol.

Your absolutely right. Restaurants, sporting events etc. does not even compare to a 7 day cruise. Now if you are talking hotels.....yes we bring our own drinks......

Thread # 82 on this same old...same old subject....

You all need to get over it.......You all can't bring it so get over it or book a flight to Aruba and carry your soda/water on the plane.

Oops...sorry......can't do that.:p

But, you can check it through. Remember though you are only allowed 50lbs of checked luggage per person. But you can always pay the extra cost for the weight of the water. One 16 oz. bottle is one pound. You figure it out.:eek: ;)

You pay $600.00 per person to take a cruise (if your lucky) and you are having a hissy fit over paying a couple of bucks for soda or water....

Drink iced tea...coffee....punch....OJ....lemonade......

"For free"......:D

THANK YOU AND AMEN:)

I think the only person who actually complained about it was the original poster. The rest of us are just having a discussion because it's Thursday, and there's nothing on TV. :p

Haha...agreed. We're all on the same side..we're just having a friendly discussion. And yes, there is definitely nothing on TV

Let me see now..! Last time I went to a STEELERS game in Pittsburgh, Iron City beer was $5.75 for a 16 oz. plastic bottle (tho' they poured that into a crappy waxed cup)... So if I go on a Carnival cruise and pay $7.50 for a really cold 28/32 oz. can of Foster's, I'm getting screwed..???:rolleyes: :D Seriously....:o

ps: You are absolutely right... Nuttin' on TV except reruns of the 1st round of the Masters... :p

Oh, by the way.. We get 'patted down' and 'frisked' when we walk into the stadium.. Rolling coolers.. NOT!!!!

TV could never compare with CC!!! Some nights it's so entertaining here that I forget that I own a TV !!! :D Just Kidding!! You guys are a wealth of information. I've learned lots and saved money-so thanks for being here. :) To the original OP- they do have caffeine-free Coke and diet Coke among your choices. I hope that helps you out.

Archived