More about Carnival's New Family-Unfriendly Policy Concerning Beverages

dande11

Now, this makes no sense what-so-ever...

At this point, you're allowed to bring film and batteries on board, as well as clothing, shoes, OTC meds, etc... those things you can still buy on board, however of course you pay a MEGA Mark-up!!!

Does that mean, to make up some lost revenue, they should ban all those things from being brought on board, so you either buy from them or go without?

That logic is backwards!

Hmmm. Would you feel the same if that logic was applied to EVERYTHING you could purchase while on board? Personal items, film, batteries, OTC meds? What if they banned taking photos while on board because they have lots and lots of photographers and photo ops. After all, they are being cheated out of mega-bucks by all those pesky cheap-skates who take their own photos.

Just looking at it from a different angle.

CruiseFever said:

"I really don't want to think about the next place I will hide smuggled booze if that does not work but somehow I can't see them doing a cavity search."

Ha! Confession time! I know someone...(NO NAMES!) who brought a bottle of beer back on the ship hidden very discreetly.:eek:

(Is that a bottle of beer in your pocket, or ...) :D

We just got off the Valor with 8 people in our group. I brought on 2 bottles of wine and a 12 pack of cherry pepsi in my carryon and I was carrying a 12 pack of pepsi and they could of cared less. We all took on our own beverages and not a thing was said. We also brought on water and again they could of cared less. Im sure it was just a spring break rule so just dont cruise during spring break.

Latest news. I just got off the phone with a Carnival Platinum Desk Rep and Carnival DOES allow "small" quantities of bottled water and soda onboard. At one time they did go to the not allowing any policy like RCL but they have switched back to allowing "small" quantities.

Here's the kicker. They won't say what a "small" quantity is. It is left up to the discretion of who ever is at the point of embarkation checking your carry-ons that day. She said some will allow a 12 pack whereas other will only allow a 6 pack. So, if you want to take it onboard that's fine but please don't be greedy!

Clarifying... You can bring "small" quantities either in your carry-ons or your checked luggage. The point is yes you can bring bottled water and soda on board. Just be aware that there is no set rule as to what a "small" quantity is. So, if it's in your carry on be very nice to the security person checking you in. If it's in your checked luggage then it's out of your hands but my guess is that unless you have a whole suitcase full it won't be a problem.

Straight from a Carnival website:

“Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities will be determined at Carnival’s discretion. As an example, guests will be permitted to bring bottles of water/soda in their carry-on or checked baggage. Carnival strongly recommends that guests do not bring a large quantity of non-alcoholic beverages that will be subject to confiscation at embarkation.”

I may be a little tired today, but I take total offense to you post.

Have you ever tried to bring a Pizza Hut pizza into Chucky Cheese?

And then the overdramatizing of the "soda" and "bottled water" equals family. Since when don't people drink water from the tap anyway. . . .especially kids.

Agree or disagree with the policy is one thing. . . but making this an "anti-family" campaign is another.

Would you be offended if I called SRS and complained about your parenting. . . after all you are using your children (family) as a tool to try to get what YOU want. . . seems to me you are using them.

Well I sure don't take offense to that because I don't work for Carnival, but I would agree with your example 100%. Help the needy, not the greedy..comes to mind.

I've never understood why people need to bring along all of their beverages along - I don't think the cruise lines charge outlandish prices for their beverages, actually. I believe at our Bengals stadium a beer goes for something like $5 or $6. YIKES. Can get it cheaper on the cruise. I'm more concerned with making sure I have all of my clothes and toiletries - I'd never make it if I were hauling along beer & water too. I have always found the tap water on ships to be fine to drink also. Yes, if you can spend the money to cruise, buying drinks on board should not be an issue - it is what it is.

Peggy

I've never understood why people need to bring along all of their beverages along - I don't think the cruise lines charge outlandish prices for their beverages, actually. I believe at our Bengals stadium a beer goes for something like $5 or $6. YIKES. Can get it cheaper on the cruise. I'm more concerned with making sure I have all of my clothes and toiletries - I'd never make it if I were hauling along beer & water too. I have always found the tap water on ships to be fine to drink also. Yes, if you can spend the money to cruise, buying drinks on board should not be an issue - it is what it is.

Peggy

You have that right. The stadiums are expensive. At the Reds game beer goes for $7. Getting them on the cruise seems like a break compare to that.

If I want to bring my own Pepsi on the ship which they do not cary what is it to you??? Its not like it was against the rules, it was totally allowed. I had a corner aft cabin which was not cheap and spent tons on pictures on top of the 2000 in cash I spent so in no way was I being cheap. It was my vacation and the pepsi made it more enjoyable.

Peggy

The difference between a Bengals/Reds game and a cruise is - 3 hours versus 8 days... I have never spent 8 days at a Reds game. :eek: Carnival allows you to bring on water/pop - so therefore we will be. :)

Peggy

Convienence for one.I bring two 2 litre bottles to mix smuggled booze with.Second I can be at the port in 15 minutes,and when you live next door its no problem to really bring anything. In SanJuan, the store is across the street so boarding and getting off is also no problem.

Like many of you who posted in an earlier thread, I, too, am unhappy about Carnivals's new no-water, no-soda beverage policy. My wife and I have taken 6 Carnival cruises in the last 18 months and have been satisfied with them until this latest money-grabbing stunt. My wife and I each bring a bottle of caffeine-free diet soda per day to take our early morning and late night medications, and a bottle of our favorite water to take with us on our shore excursions when we're in port. I called Carnival's Guest Relations today to confirm their new policy. What I found most interesting is that they said they'll confiscate your water or soft drinks without compensation, BUT EACH PASSENGER OVER THE AGE OF 21 IS STILL ALLOWED TO BRING A BOTTLE OF BOOZE ONBOARD! So how much sense does that make? Talk about inconsistency and hypocrisy! Here's to Carnival's corporate gurus!! Time to start looking for another cruise line if Carnival is going start all this nonsense. I guess they feel they haven't been squeezing a sufficient amount of money out of passengers.:mad:

I was surprised to read this about water. When did they start instituting this? Is it on the website? I would appreciate it if someone can tell me where to find this information. I always brought water aboard as I haven't had a sip of tap water since 1985 and I drink alot of water for a medical condition. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Barb

If I want to bring my own Pepsi on the ship which they do not cary what is it to you??? Its not like it was against the rules, it was totally allowed. I had a corner aft cabin which was not cheap and spent tons on pictures on top of the 2000 in cash I spent so in no way was I being cheap. It was my vacation and the pepsi made it more enjoyable.

I agree. I would pay whatever they wanted to have Pepsi on the ship, but they don't. Coke makes me gag. I don't drink coffee. And seriously, don't flame me, but if I don't have a Pepsi everyday (caffeine related) I will get a killer headache.

If they wanted to charge me $10 a bottle, I would pay it if I could pre-order my Pepsi and not have to leave space in my luggage, then go to a store on my way to the pier, put the 12 pack in the luggage, lock it up and drag it to the pier.

It's not about the money.

I would pay whatever they wanted to have Pepsi on the ship, but they don't. Coke makes me gag. I don't drink coffee. And seriously, don't flame me, but if I don't have a Pepsi everyday (caffeine related) I will get a killer headache.
Okay, I hate Pepsi but I must have Diet Caffiene Free Coke for my run and coke drinks. I take it to the BAR with me and pay full price for my drink but make sure they use the caffiene free coke. So... Carnival is not losing money and I am not raising my blood pressure. Now I have to quit brinking MY choice of mix because some $ss brought a cooler of beer?

I was surprised to read this about water. When did they start instituting this? Is it on the website? I would appreciate it if someone can tell me where to find this information. I always brought water aboard as I haven't had a sip of tap water since 1985 and I drink alot of water for a medical condition. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Barb

They instituted it in April ... they revoked it in April. This is an old thread, don't sweat it.

Barb

Well, I certainly hope your bottled water specifically says that it comes from a natural spring or aquifer. Aquafina, Desani, Nestle, and many other major player's in the bottled water game are all filtered TAP WATER.

Archived