Found something interesting on Celebrity website

Psoque

I was just browsing around the Celebrity website and found something interesting. I have no idea if this is old news, but here it is:

On Deck Layout part of the website for Mercury, to find a particular stateroom by stateroom number, the website requires you to choose either 20 Apr 2007 to 16 Mar 2008 or 29 Mar 2008 to 30 Mar 2009.

Here is what I am "guessing" from this finding.

1. The ship will be undergoing some sort of transition between 17 Mar 2008 and 28 Mar 2008.

2. The ship will potentially undergo some kind of a change that affects the stateroom numbers between 17 Mar 2008 and 28 Mar 2008.

But actually, I have no idea what this means.

I was just browsing around the Celebrity website and found something interesting. I have no idea if this is old news, but here it is:

On Deck Layout part of the website for Mercury, to find a particular stateroom by stateroom number, the website requires you to choose either 20 Apr 2007 to 16 Mar 2008 or 29 Mar 2008 to 30 Mar 2009.

1. The ship will be undergoing some sort of transition between 17 Mar 2008 and 28 Mar 2008.

2. The ship will potentially undergo some kind of a change that affects the stateroom numbers between 17 Mar 2008 and 28 Mar 2008.

Hi...I know she will be back in the states in March 2008 after

her new Australian itinerary.

So I am guessing you are guessing correctly;). Before she

goes to Hawaii there will be work done during those 11 days.

Hi Psoque !

This news has already been announced. From April 13-April 20, Mercury will be upgraded, and 14 new Verandas will be added.

You can read more about it here :

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=982215&highlight=

Hi Psoque !

This news has already been announced. From April 13-April 20, Mercury will be upgraded, and 14 new Verandas will be added.

You can read more about it here :

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=982215&highlight=

Andy...the dates the OP is talking about is NEXT YEAR....

there seems to be an open time when she returns back

from Australia.

Andy...the dates the OP is talking about is NEXT YEAR....

there seems to be an open time when she returns back

from Australia.

Hi Lois !

Oh ok... maybe they will do something more extensive then. Time will tell.

Ships calender section has Mercury doing a Hawaii to Mexico cruise starting March 16 in Hawaii and ending March 28, 2008 in Ensenada....

Ooops...I thought there was an open time next year too.

thanks for the clarification:)

Hi Lois !

Oh ok... maybe they will do something more extensive then. Time will tell.

Hi Andy...nope you are correct...:eek: Don just posted the ship

is doing Hawaii from 3/16---3/28, 2008....things are getting

confused:confused:

Hi Andy...nope you are correct...:eek: Don just posted the ship

is doing Hawaii from 3/16---3/28, 2008....things are getting

confused:confused:

Hi Lois !

No worries. I do not think there is anything extensive planned for Mercury beyond what is being done in the upcoming Drydock. As I am sure you are aware, Mercury already has quite a bit of balconies, and does not need as extensive a makeover as Century did.

Of course, they might do some more upgrades to Mercury in 2008, so anything is possible. I am very happy that they are sprucing up Galaxy and Mercury to bring them more up to date !

Lois,

It's not new that Mercury is doing HNL to Ensenada in March, 2008. Our B2B Down Under ends in HNL. Those doing B2B2B end in Ensenada. It's the end of the first Down Under season. Apparently she's heading back to do the Mexico and/or Alaska cruises...

Hi Lois !

No worries. I do not think there is anything extensive planned for Mercury beyond what is being done in the upcoming Drydock. As I am sure you are aware, Mercury already has quite a bit of balconies, and does not need as extensive a makeover as Century did.

Of course, they might do some more upgrades to Mercury in 2008, so anything is possible. I am very happy that they are sprucing up Galaxy and Mercury to bring them more up to date !

I'm not sure how "connected" Host Andy is to the inner circle of Celebrity Cruises, but this statement appears very authoritative. Is this based on inside information? (no pun intended)

It is very interesting, and somewhat amusing, that a simple post has generated this much confusion. Also it is sort of interesting that a few people have already jumped into the conversation and told us about the Mercury drydock for April 2007, despite the fact that my original post was very clear in referring to something OTHER THAN THE April 2007 drydock. It's like watching a bunch of grade school kids playing a game of "telephone."

Celebrity Cruises and its IT department has made some efffort to modify the "deck plans" section for Mercury on its website, to reflect some sort of potential change to Mercury deck plan sometime in March 2008. (Note my repeated use of the word "some" in this sentence...it is intentional.) In my experience so far, Celebrity rarely makes this much effort to make any substantial change to its website, especially this much ahead of time. I started this thread because I thought that was very interesting.

I was hoping for major changes to the Martini Bar, but according to the press releases, it seems that just the carpet will be replaced there.

Does anyone know why there are "no admittance" signs to the large forward observation space on Resort Deck, immediately above the bridge? On my first two cruises on the Mercury, in May 2000 and January 2004, passengers enjoyed vantage viewing and photography while entering or leaving ports. When I next sailed on the Mercury a year later, in January 2005, the "no admittance" signs were there. Many elderly passengers and those in wheelchairs are unable to use the two flights of stairs to the observation area on the top deck.

I think it is even more confusing, since it was announced that during the brief April '07 dry dock the aft FO cabins would be changed to balcony ones and for upcoming cruises beginning with the 4/20/07 sailing these cabins would be offered as balcony cabins albeit larger than the regular 2A cabins.

Now, they appear to be back to FO category and will not change untill spring of '08. I think that is why there are two separate configurations on the web site.

As someone sailing on Mercury on 4/27/07 I have seen these aft cabins go from FO to 2A balcony and back to FO. I have been reluctant to change my cabin assignment to one of these even though the price appears good and if truly configured to an even larger balcony cabin than the normal ones it would be a great deal.

I think they have switched the planned "remodel" of these cabins until 2008 and I pity anyone who has booked one thinking they will be getting the larger cabin with a large stern balcony. The FO cabins are nice but the bed space is cramped and there is definitely no balcony.

Puli,

Where did you get your information that they are not putting balconies on the Fo cabins?

We did book those cabins just because of their size and the new balconies that will be added.

I called my travel agent and she said as far as she has heard they are still adding them on on the April dry dock.

I have also checked the Celebrity web site and it looks to me that they are still going as 2A cabins.

Can you give me any more information as to what you heard.

Thanks

Lynn

I'm not sure how "connected" Host Andy is to the inner circle of Celebrity Cruises, but this statement appears very authoritative. Is this based on inside information? (no pun intended)

It is very interesting, and somewhat amusing, that a simple post has generated this much confusion. Also it is sort of interesting that a few people have already jumped into the conversation and told us about the Mercury drydock for April 2007, despite the fact that my original post was very clear in referring to something OTHER THAN THE April 2007 drydock. It's like watching a bunch of grade school kids playing a game of "telephone."

Celebrity Cruises and its IT department has made some efffort to modify the "deck plans" section for Mercury on its website, to reflect some sort of potential change to Mercury deck plan sometime in March 2008. (Note my repeated use of the word "some" in this sentence...it is intentional.) In my experience so far, Celebrity rarely makes this much effort to make any substantial change to its website, especially this much ahead of time. I started this thread because I thought that was very interesting.

Not everyone is perfect and most on this board attempt to help others. That is why I posted the press release so there is no confusion with the planned changes for this year. Your post above comes across a little condescending.\

There is no confusion here, ship is scheduled for Hawaii to Ensenada trip during those days. No drydock scheduled for next year and the veranda's are a go at this time on the drydock this year.

Puli,

Where did you get your information that they are not putting balconies on the Fo cabins?

We did book those cabins just because of their size and the new balconies that will be added.

I called my travel agent and she said as far as she has heard they are still adding them on on the April dry dock.

I have also checked the Celebrity web site and it looks to me that they are still going as 2A cabins.

Can you give me any more information as to what you heard.

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn, My TA told me to go to Celebrity web site, go to "ships" click on Mercury and go to "deck plans". If you do you will see two dates for cabin information. I put in a FO cabin , I believe it was 8163 and under the first option: deck plans from April' 07 to May '08 the room although called a 2A is pictured and described as a non balcony room. If you change to deck plans after May '08 ,that same aft. room is pictured and described as a balcony room.

My TA could not find out exactly what was going on other than being told they probably would not be changing the rooms during this dry dock time. She could not confirm this nor could she get a valid explanation for the reason for the dual descriptions. We decided not to risk it and kept our old cabin. If you are sailing after May'08 it will not matter. Jenny

My TA could not find out exactly what was going on other than being told they probably would not be changing the rooms during this dry dock time.

Puli: I don't when you had this conversation with your TA, but the recent press release (link above in one of Lois's posts) says authoritively that balconies are being added to the 14 FO cabins at the stern during the drydock this month.

We are on the 4/27 Mercury cruise...and did book a 2A FO-soon to be FV cabin. We booked this, with the intention of having the larger cabin, and a balcony. All the information that has previously been provided hasn't given us any indication that the balconies WON'T be added during the 4/13 drydock. I'm not going to worry about with if...I love surprises.

Karyn

We are on the 4/27 Mercury cruise...and did book a 2A FO-soon to be FV cabin. We booked this, with the intention of having the larger cabin, and a balcony. All the information that has previously been provided hasn't given us any indication that the balconies WON'T be added during the 4/13 drydock. I'm not going to worry about with if...I love surprises.

Karyn

I wouldn't worry about it, they just issued the press release on April 5, four days ago. I doubt they would make a change and eliminate the balconies in the last four days.

Also, if you look at the drawings the balconies are clearly shown on both views, both decks.

Puli: I don't when you had this conversation with your TA, but the recent press release (link above in one of Lois's posts) says authoritively that balconies are being added to the 14 FO cabins at the stern during the drydock this month.

Yes, I saw the remodel schedule printed on a thread some time ago, well before the April press release, and then saw the aft cabins become available. My TA called X before the first of April. She however, did not have much confidence in the person she talked to and thus stated she was unsure of the information given to her. What has her most confused is the conflicting side bar pictures and written descriptions of the same cabins when you go from the 2007 option to the 2008 option. I am sure to some it makes perfect sense. For me I am just looking forward to being back on Mercury. Jenny

puli,

I saw what you are talking about on the deck plans for Mercury and it does show the balconies after the March 2008.

We may have to wait until the first cruise on Mercury after dry dock to get a correct answer.

Lynn

Lynn, Hopefully this is just a web site mistake and that all this confusion is for naught. I still don't understand, if these cabins are not the issue, what the reason is for having the two "dated" configurations. Maybe there is some other "deck plan" change that will occur in two stages. jenny

Archived