Denied Boarding !

We booked a cruise on Serenade this past week. My wife's 14 yr old son is from her first marriage so he has a different last name then us. With all the emphasis on Passports we went out to get him a passport. Well, once at the pier RCCL asked my wife to prove he was her son and until she could denied us boarding. Luckily, we were able to get a friend to go to our house, get his birth certificate, go to Staples, and fax it to the pier in San Juan. When I asked if we'd get our money back if we couldn't get them a copy we were told that it was up to the TA. Our TA, Cruise Planners, lost our tickets so we never got them, then we were told to print the SeaPass from the RCCL website and present it at check in. I think that someone should have picked up on the different last name since they know his age when booking and informed us that we needed additional documentation. Luckily, all turned out well and we boarded. It is amazing how the proffesionalism form one employee varies from others. Some are downrite rude who do not show an ounce of sympathy. Another example, when we told our TA we never got our tickets we were told to go online to print out the tickets. When online we wanted to verify that we were printing the correct items. When I called RCCL I got a rude woman who wouldn't tell me what to print out. She told me that I had to call my TA. I told her it was her website and that's why I called her. After I hung up, I called back and got a polite man who told me exactly what I needed. Amazing.

I'm about to cruise on July 1st, and my kids have different names than mine as well. So you're saying I should bring their birth certificates too then, just in case? They both have passports, and I was thinking of bringing their birth certificates because of something on the RCI website that said you need permission from both parents if only one parent is sailing. I got different answers from all the RCI people I spoke with so I am coming with everything in hand now. I think I might even bring divorce decree showing I have custody!!:p Don't want to be denied boarding for any reason. Glad you made it!!:)

Wow! I am surprised that you were not required to present a Notorized Letter from the other parent or guardian that you had authorization to take a minor out of the country and medical care.

Glad you were able to board. Did you have a good cruise?

If they are under 18 and only one parent is taking them they have to have a permission paper and it has to be notarized. Any way that is the way it was two years ago, unless it has changed. If the other parent isn't able to be found you have prove that you have sole custody.Like I say this may have changed.

If they are under 18 and only one parent is taking them they have to have a permission paper and it has to be notarized. Any way that is the way it was two years ago, unless it has changed. If the other parent isn't able to be found you have prove that you have sole custody.Like I say this may have changed.

Regardless of official RCCL or other carrier policy, it is a very good idea to have explicit written permission from the other parent.

Best if it specifically indicates indicates what trip is authorized.

This is not necessarily because a cruise or airline will deny boarding, but customs and immigration in some countries are more in tune with stopping trans-border kidnappings. Technically, at least in the past, Mexico required a non-traveling parent, married to the other parent or not, to authorize taking a child over the border. Of course many border crossings are not monitored that closely so it would not be hard to get away with it, but it sure could ruin a shore hop if you were scrutinized and couldn't get off the ship with the child in that port due to the regulations.

Add on the more stringent regulations for coming and going to/from the USA as a US citizen you could always get a border agent who gives you a rough time. Personally I am glad that they are watching because in the USA now there are plenty of US citizens married to non-US citizens having kids and when things go bad some of the kids end up back in mom or dad's home country against the wishes of the US citizen parent.

Then there are situations like ours where DW and I have different last names although we are legally married. DD has my last name, so it could be difficult for DW to cross a border with DD. In Texas they issue for a fee a small version birth certificate which I happen to keep in my wallet since it would be with me on international trips. (I even have various foreign currency from various past trips, I just forgot to take the money out of my wallet. Maybe Hong Kong or Australian dollars will be accepted in the Caribbean.) We also travel with passports, and DD is on her second passport and she is only six going on seven. We have never had to explain the last name difference anywhere we have gone, including Mainland China where I expected to have to do a lot of explaining, especially since DD was 11 months at the time. The only issue we ever had was on the last two trips, both to Australia she no longer looked like she did at 10 months when her picture for the passport was taken so she was asked who she was...mostly the agent there being friendly. All of our good luck is great but we would rather be safe and have proof with us.

Thus my recommendation is to have proof of authority to take the child with you, especially if not both parents are traveling or last names do not match up.

Have a safe and joyful trip!!!

I'm about to cruise on July 1st, and my kids have different names than mine as well. So you're saying I should bring their birth certificates too then, just in case? They both have passports, and I was thinking of bringing their birth certificates because of something on the RCI website that said you need permission from both parents if only one parent is sailing. I got different answers from all the RCI people I spoke with so I am coming with everything in hand now. I think I might even bring divorce decree showing I have custody!!:p Don't want to be denied boarding for any reason. Glad you made it!!:)

I had to show my divorce decree proving that I have sole custody before I was allowed entry back in the U.S.

In our case the second parent was deceased. Luckily RCCL took our word on it and did not ask for a death certificate. We were told that it was not an immigration issue ,but a company policy. We tried to get customs to scan his passport since my wife had to provide a boatload of evidence to get the passport. They told us the info we needed wasn't accessible on their computer.

Although this policy may be on RCCL's website I still think a travel proffessional and RCCL staff should pick this up and give us a heads-up. Luckily all ended well and we had a good cruise. In the future we will bring a birth certificate and the death certificate of his dad.

Actually, you only need both parent's signatures to get a passport, not take them out of the country. By the other parent signing for the passport, they are already authorizing that travel, for asl long as the passport is good.

I took my nephew with me on a cruise, who I had his mother's permission with a letter. Her last name is not the same as his, which neither are the same as mine. No problems at all, but we had the passport for him.

Also, if you are carrying the passport, you wouldn't need a birth certificate too, as you have to send the birth certificate in order to get the passport to begin with.

Actually, you only need both parent's signatures to get a passport, not take them out of the country. By the other parent signing for the passport, they are already authorizing that travel, for asl long as the passport is good.

I took my nephew with me on a cruise, who I had his mother's permission with a letter. Her last name is not the same as his, which neither are the same as mine. No problems at all, but we had the passport for him.

Also, if you are carrying the passport, you wouldn't need a birth certificate too, as you have to send the birth certificate in order to get the passport to begin with.

You only need both parent's signatures to get a passport if you have joint custody. In my case I have sole custody and only my signature was required.

My thoughts exactly!!

###

It used to be the law that you had to have the notarized form. It no longer is (for most itineraries). That having been said, I present it to clients as if it's something that they MUST do. I do disclose that it's not the law. At the same time, I run down a list of possibilities that could happen without that notarized consent form. It's just not worth taking a chance no matter how great the relationship between ex's is.

I am a single dad. My son just greduated high school and I have been the custodial parent since he was 7. (His mother and I are good friends...now)

My point is that I have taken him on several cruises since he was about 12 and never once did anyone ask about his mom or any additional paperwork...other than his passport. I also never got signed permission from his mom...although she would have probably given it freely. In hindsight I was lucky and foolish because they could have denied boarding and really screwed things up..

That never happened to us, but I can understand why some would be strict about proper paperwork...

Just sailed with an unaccompinied minor, needed the notorized form. Sailed with a divorced parent twice both times they were required to have the forms. Not being nasty. but the requirements are listed on the, the passport site, the royal caribbean site and my TA listed them as well. A birth certif. did not prove the ability to take ones 1/2 custody child or full custody proof out of country, the notarized letter does.

not blaming you at all, it's one of those you just don't know if someone doesn't point blank point it out with all the vacation mess your trying to handle.

in fairness the other way... if you really read the fine print, I think its all in there... we all miss stuff, especially the fine print.

just glad it all worked out . A great heads up for all divorced parents and those bringing the kids friends.... don't forget the medical release forms as well.

You only need both parent's signatures to get a passport if you have joint custody. In my case I have sole custody and only my signature was required.

This is true.

Also need both parent's sigs if they were never married,unless paper work states one parent has full and sole custody.

As for RCI's website. It states that you must have a parent(s) signature. Doesn't require both. Have cruised without both. Passports are another issue, both are needed under most circumstances.

After reading all the info on this thread, I am more confused then ever! Here is my situation: I am divorced, we have a 16 year old daughter and we have joint custody, although in name only because she never stays with him. When we applied for her passport they didn't ask for anything from my ex-husband! I know there is a form that i need to have signed by my ex and notarized saying that I have his permission to take her out of the country. Does it make a difference when you have joint custody vs. sole custody? We are going to Paris this summer and I will definitely do my research on all this. In our divorce decree it says that either one of us has a right to get a passport for her, but we have to let the other person know the details of the trip. I never thought that there would be actual laws about this, I was just basing this on our divorce papers!:o

FYI - Just returned from the Mariner and we had my daughter's friend traveling with us. She was 17yo, of course with a different last name, passport in hand and a "notarized permission to be with us letter" available in my purse. No one between the airlines, cruise officials or custom/immigration ever blinked an eye or asked her one single question during emabarkation or disembarkation. Just looked at her passport and handed her boarding docs and room key.

I guess it all depends which line you get in.....

FYI - Just returned from the Mariner and we had my daughter's friend traveling with us. She was 17yo, of course with a different last name, passport in hand and a "notarized permission to be with us letter" available in my purse. No one between the airlines, cruise officials or custom/immigration ever blinked an eye or asked her one single question during emabarkation or disembarkation. Just looked at her passport and handed her boarding docs and room key.

I guess it all depends which line you get in.....

The Hague Convention on International Child Abduction doesn't cover 17 year olds, it does 14 year olds.

The Hague Convention on International Child Abduction doesn't cover 17 year olds, it does 14 year olds.

Well then, just off the Mariner with DD friend who is 14 and no-one blinked an eye at her passport or asked who we were or asked to see the permission papers I had avail. Even on excursions or the rockclimbing wall. Thought that was interesting. She did have to have a seperate customs form because of her last name.

Maddening as it is, things happen ... the upside is, you were able to board. I firmly believe that passports for minors should have their parents names in them.

How was your cruise?

That is a good idea that I've never heard mentioned before. As anquishing as it was for these parents, I can sure understand the cruise lines point of view.

Archived