Wow. Pride of Hawaii Taken Out of Hawaii Service - to be moved to Europe!

Jana

Now they can redirect the crew from three ships to two. In addition I read that 15% of the crew can now be international. Hopefully this will allow NCLA to offer a better product and they will be able to increase the demand, by decreasing the supply. Hopefully this will reduce operating costs while increasing revenue.

You don't increase demand by decreasing supply. In fact, most likely decreasing supply will drive up the price, thereby decreasing demand.

What happened is the NCLA felt it had too much supply, and thus could not sell all of its supply. There is a difference between selling cruise cabins and selling boats for example. If you have ten boats and only five buyers, then you don't build any more boats until you find more buyers. However, once the ship leaves the dock, any unsold cruise cabins are lost forever.

What NCLA is hoping is that there is enough demand to fill two ships, even if the price is higher than it was where there were four ships. Or to put it another way, NCLA over estimated the demand for the cruise cabins in Hawaii.

Staffing of the ships is a different issue unrelated to demand. However, I suppose there is a small relationship between supply and staffing. It would seem NCLA was having a problem staffing all three ships. So, now NCLA has one less ship that it needs to staff. NCLA is hoping that it will be able to fully staff two ships when it was having trouble staffing three ships.

Time will tell.

Have they made any statements about why they are doing this?

You might want to read the press release (post 4 this thread). It seems to be a financial decision because NCLA has been losing money. While reducing NCLA to 2 ships from 3, they also are removing the international ship. In essence, Hawaii will have 2 ships rather than 4.

I'm sorry I haven't been following this discussion for a while and I'm at a loss. Does NCL now have some west coast cruises that go out to Fanning Island without doing Hawaii?

The Sun was going to replace the Wind with its Fanning Island itineraries. After the Pride of Hawaii arrived, NCLA's operational profits fell significantly. Thus NCL decided to drop the international crewed ship, the Sun this year, leaving only the repositional cruises untouched. The Sun will do a Vancouver to Hawaii and a Hawaii to Miami itineraries this year.

The Wind departs NCL's fleet currently. The Sun wasn't going to Hawaii until after her Alaskan season. Hawaii ship cut to three American flagged ships.

NCL also decided at that time to change the Pride of Aloha's itineraries to 10-11 day itineraries, reflecting many cruisers are doing Hawaii over two weeks, taking two weeks off. Three of the four weeks itineraries do Hawaii only, one week does the Fanning Island itinerary.

Recently, NCL decided to reposition the Pride of Hawaii to Europe begining in February. This would cut the NCLA fleet to two, one doing a 7 day itinerary, and one doing a 10-11 day itinerary.

But this year the Sun is doing two Hawaiian itineraries, none to Fanning Island. Other cruise lines do this repositioning cruises through Hawaii. Its very possible the Sun may do so again in the future.

Thanks to everyone for trying to bring me up to date on the situation.

I think I understand about the decision to reposition POH to Europe and also to forgo replacing the Wind by the Sun and basically just give up on those itineraries.

What I'm struggling to understand is why NCL(A) would decide to divert the Pride of Aloha to Fanning Island on one out of every 4 cruises. I was under the impression that the main advantage to having American flagged ships was that they could then avoid the long trek to and from Fanning Island, so I'm wondering why NCLA would re-introduce that stop unless they feel there is a real market for a cruise with fewer port days or a demand for cruises to Fanning Island.

Might it be because of some agreement they have with the authorities in Fanning Island and they have either a legal or moral reason for still sending a ship their at least occasionally?

What I'm struggling to understand is why NCL(A) would decide to divert the Pride of Aloha to Fanning Island on one out of every 4 cruises. I was under the impression that the main advantage to having American flagged ships was that they could then avoid the long trek to and from Fanning Island, so I'm wondering why NCLA would re-introduce that stop unless they feel there is a real market for a cruise with fewer port days or a demand for cruises to Fanning Island.

Seems to be a large number of folks who WANT to visit Fanning Island.

Thanks to everyone for trying to bring me up to date on the situation.

I think I understand about the decision to reposition POH to Europe and also to forgo replacing the Wind by the Sun and basically just give up on those itineraries.

Might it be because of some agreement they have with the authorities in Fanning Island and they have either a legal or moral reason for still sending a ship their at least occasionally?

NCL has an exclusive agreement with Kiribiti (Fanning Island). That agreement didn't come free. Having already spent money to lock up Fanning Island, it would be foolish not to send a ship there. They might even lose its exclusively if they never sent a ship there.

I agree, the purpose for flagging these ships under the American flag was to avoid "having" to sail there, never-the-less, NCL apparently feels there is at least some demand, thus one of four Aloha sailings will attempt to go there.

As it is, in 42 days (6 weeks), NCL will try to sail to Fanning Island just once, but will sail exclusively around Hawaii nine times. Math; 6 weekly cruises for the America, and 3 of 4 ten/eleven day cruises for the Aloha.

90% of the passengers will get Hawaii exclusive cruises, only 10% might go to Fanning Island. That's 90% more exclusive Hawaiian sailings than if they were all flagged under Bahamas colors.

From the same press release as the POHI move -

In addition, NCL plans to build up to three new third generation Freestyle Cruising ships for delivery between 2009 and 2011. NCL is on target to have the youngest fleet in the industry by the end of 2007, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy the flexibility of Freestyle Cruising on the newest, most contemporary ships at sea.

The Crown is going next. These new ships are supposed to be around 150,000 tons.

Seems to be a large number of folks who WANT to visit Fanning Island.

We just got off the Wind from the 4/4 cruise. We loved the cruise, the ship, the staff and the food. It was great. I happen to like sea days, so going to Fanning was no trouble for me. In fact, I couldn't imagine doing all ports and no sea days, you never have down time. The actual island of Fanning Island was OK, but I won't be upset if I don't go back.

We sailed on the Star back in 2002 when it was doing the Fanning Island cruise.

When it was announced that the Sun would be doing the trip to Fanning, we started making plans for another Hawaii cruise.:)

We have done the Dream twice now and were not interested in doing this cruise on the Wind.:(

When the opportunity presents itself, I guess that our next Hawaii cruise will be on the POA and it will be on the one that includes Fanning Island. The combination of sea days and the day at Fanning made the trip special for us.:D

• 3 months later...

I'm posting late to this thread so I don't know if anyone will even read it, but I just had to put my two cents in. I'm really saddened by this move by NCL. I cruised the POH last summer and I loved it. Contrary to what many have said, the crew was great and I feel very sorry that they are being abandoned by they're company. I personally feel that NCL is doing every thing wrong two bring NCL-A to profitability. The first mistake was starting with three ships. I think that a better plan would have been to send a Jewel class ship first, followed by the Pride of America. I don't know what should have been done with the "Sky" which became the Pride of aloha, but this ship was too old for this itinerary. Even with the refrurb the ship was simply designed for another time. The crews probably needed time on other ships so that they would be ready for the task that would be asked of them. I say this because the early reviews of POA service was dismal.

As I said earlier, by the time I went on POH the crew was very good, friendly, and quick to offer help. NCL fans should understand what this really means. Less choices for Hawaii sailings, higher prices, and many hard working americans loose they're jobs. (despite the fact that NCL says that they will be offered jobs throughout the fleet.)

NCL says that POH will return when the time is right, but I hope none of you are holding your breath.

I disagree. During the last year the ship with the best reviews has been the PoA, except when the air conditioner went out The ship with the worst reviews has been the PoH. Bigger is not always better. Its my opinion the Sky class of vessels are still new enough, freestyle vessels despite their age. While the six ships of the Star class is newer, people book Hawaii for the Hawaiian itineraries, not necessarily a brand new ship.

Since there is no competition in Hawaii, its best to have the older new ships there. I am sorry NCL cannot afford to have all of their ships less than five years in age in their fleet, some ships have to be older. Believe it or not cruise ships are designed to last for their first operator twenty years. Not five. Then there are another twenty years operating for smaller cruise lines before they are scrapped. A life of forty years.

A ship don't make a great cruise, you do.

I'm posting late to this thread so I don't know if anyone will even read it, but I just had to put my two cents in. I'm really saddened by this move by NCL. I cruised the POH last summer and I loved it. Contrary to what many have said, the crew was great and I feel very sorry that they are being abandoned by they're company. I personally feel that NCL is doing every thing wrong two bring NCL-A to profitability. The first mistake was starting with three ships. I think that a better plan would have been to send a Jewel class ship first, followed by the Pride of America. I don't know what should have been done with the "Sky" which became the Pride of aloha, but this ship was too old for this itinerary. Even with the refrurb the ship was simply designed for another time. The crews probably needed time on other ships so that they would be ready for the task that would be asked of them. I say this because the early reviews of POA service was dismal.

As I said earlier, by the time I went on POH the crew was very good, friendly, and quick to offer help. NCL fans should understand what this really means. Less choices for Hawaii sailings, higher prices, and many hard working americans loose they're jobs. (despite the fact that NCL says that they will be offered jobs throughout the fleet.)

NCL says that POH will return when the time is right, but I hope none of you are holding your breath.

I'm going to agree with Don, but for different reasons. Later this year when the Gem joins the fleet, NCL will have 10 ships built wearing Freestyle art on their hulls proudly. 6 of the Star class, 2 from the Sky class, the Spirit and the Pride of America. Having a mix of ships sailing around Hawaii provides more variety.

Nine of ten remaining ships in NCL's fleet will have been built with Freestyle Dining in mind, built to Star Cruises dining model. It is true that the Pride of Aloha, ex-Sky, was built before Star Cruises bought NCL in 2000, and will provide the smallest choice of restaurants on any NCL ship far into the future, Hawaii is the best market for it. Over a week's voyage, there's two overnight port stays, and ports every day on its 7 day itineraries. One could always decide to dine ashore if variety is wanted. The need for extra Speciality restaurants, free or fee, is far less than on any other itinerary NCL sails.

Because the need for a variety of restaurants in Hawaii can be satisifed ashore, pulling the Pride of Hawaii, the ship with the most restaurants, from Hawaii was the wisest choice. It's extra restaurants will be appreciated by passengers more (including Europe) elsewhere.

... its best to have the older new ships there.

Older new ships?

I'll add this to the list that includes jumbo shrimp and closest distant.

Now I've got to ask, are there any new older ships?

I agree with DECruiser 1 -- I sailed on the Pride of Hawaii earlier this year and loved it; no problem with the crew or the ship at all. I was very sad to hear it was being repositioned to Europe and I hope it will return to Hawaii some day (soon) (but am not holding my breath). I think the real problem with the 3 ships in Hawaii was a lack of marketing. NCL marketing is all focused on freestyle and casual cruising--a marketing plan aimed at getting people who want less formal and regimented dining to switch from the old-style lines to NCL. The Hawaii ships deserved a different sell--the customers who should have been targeted are the land-based tourists. The NCLA ships are a great way to see four islands in one week without the hassle of flying around or changing hotels. Hawail is a very hot market and with a little effort, NCLA could coax some of those hotel dwellers onto their ships, but I did not see any advertising outside the usual cruise journals and cruise-related web sites.

The complaints about the service on POH (and the other Pride ships) were from long-time cruisers who expected the same level of pampering as on the typical cruise, which is a lot more pampering than land-based tourists get. So by targeting cruisers rather than land-based tourists, NCLA limited its customer base unnecessarily and targeted those people most likely to be disappointed in the product being offered.

Hopefully, someone at NCL will realize their mistake and get back into the Hawaii market with three American-crewed ships.

Archived