Acapulco Earthquake?!?

luvthis

Wow. Heard on the news this morning that there was a 6.2 earthquake near Acapulco and Mexico City at just after midnight. Early reports do not mention major damage or death, but apparently it forced people out in the streets from their hotels and homes.

We're on the Sun Princess and are scheduled to dock their in a couple of weeks. Sure hope the Cliff Divers will still dive, assuming it is structurally safe for them to do so, ya know?

--Jean

Wow. Heard on the news this morning that there was a 6.2 earthquake near Acapulco and Mexico City at just after midnight. Early reports do not mention major damage or death, but apparently it forced people out in the streets from their hotels and homes.

We're on the Sun Princess and are scheduled to dock their in a couple of weeks. Sure hope the Cliff Divers will still dive, assuming it is structurally safe for them to do so, ya know?

--Jean

Isn't it awful the way some foreigners allow natural disasters and personal tragedy to get in the way of entertaining American tourists? I sure hope these people keep a sense of proportion and decorum and deliver the goods. Providing, as you say, that the cliffs arn't actually on the point of subsiding into the sea, as their deaths might then be accompanied by an annoying noisy splashy sound.

:eek:

Believe me, if the cliffs are not safe, they absolutely should not risk the lives of those divers. Even if the cliffs are still sound, the authorities need to investigate and make sure that under the water earth hasn't shifted. I have heard that the depth those divers land in is not very deep. I'd much rather return to Acapulco some other time to see the cliff divers than to have them put at risk for us "darn tourists".

I hope I didn't come across sounding like a "self-centered American". Certainly wasn't my intention, that's for sure. If my post was taken that way, I genuinely apologize. I will watch with interest, any updates regarding damage and injury to the people and structures of Acapulco.

Heck...if the ship ends up sailing by Acapulco, I'll be disappointed...just for a moment...and then I'll get back to my book in the shade on the deck at the back of the ship and continue to enjoy my cruise.

I've often wondered what it would be like to be cruising when an earthquake hit? Anyone ever have that happen?

--Jan

I'm told that being aboard a ship when an earthquake strikes is uneventful.

Even if a tsunami is generated, allegedly there is only a slight swell at sea, unlike the wave seen in The Poseidon Adventure.

Of course, close to shore is an entirely different matter - as that horrible tsunami in Indonesia/SE Asia last year showed.

Even if a tsunami is generated, allegedly there is only a slight swell at sea, unlike the wave seen in The Poseidon Adventure.

Of course, close to shore is an entirely different matter - as that horrible tsunami in Indonesia/SE Asia last year showed.

This is true of most tsunamis but not all.

When Krakatoa exploded on August 27, 1883 it produced a large wave which will traveled thru deep water. The paroxysmal explosion blew away the northern two-thirds of the island and it was almost instantaneously followed by the collapse of the unsupported volcanic chambers which formed the huge underwater caldera. It was the combined effects of the explosion and collapse of the volcano that generated the catastrophic tsunami waves that caused havoc and destruction in the Sunda Strait.

krakatau_map.gif

There are two Caribbean Volcanoes that are of concern for a similar (though lesser) event: Montserrat and Kick-em-Jenny NW of Grenada.

The Island of Guadeloupe has a very ready tsunami warning system in place in the event that Montserrat has another event. The worry is that if the Soufriere Hills Volcano (which is building up again) explodes, the entire south side of the Island may collapse into the Caribbean generating a wave that would hit Guadeloupe shortly after the event.

Chances that any of this will effect your cruise, less than one in million. :D

When Krakatoa exploded on August 27, 1883 it produced a large wave which will traveled thru deep water. The paroxysmal explosion blew away the northern two-thirds of the island and it was almost instantaneously followed by the collapse of the unsupported volcanic chambers which formed the huge underwater caldera. It was the combined effects of the explosion and collapse of the volcano that generated the catastrophic tsunami waves that caused havoc and destruction in the Sunda Strait.

krakatau_map.gif

There are two Caribbean Volcanoes that are of concern for a similar (though lesser event) Montserrat and Kick-em-Jenny NW of Grenada.

The Island of Guadeloupe has a very ready tsunami warning system in place in the event that Montserrat has another event. The worry is that if the Soufriere Hills Volcano (which is building up again) explodes, the entire south side of the Island may collapse into the Caribbean generating a wave that would hit Guadeloupe shortly after the event.

Chances that any of this will effect your cruise, less than one in million. :D

Do I get extra credit if I remember all this??:D :D

That's is definitely NOT true! We were anchored off the coast of Kona, last October, when the earthquake struck. The ship shook for several seconds, so we knew something had happened. The Captain announced right away that it was an earthquake, and since we couldn't go ashore, we spent most of the morning watching the news on CNN. The cruise staff added lots of extra activiies.

Do I get extra credit if I remember all this??:D :D

LOL!

I lived down Island for several years and was in Montserrat just after the 97 eruption which destroyed 2/3s of the island. Volcanoes and earthquakes are as dangerous as they are fascinating.

Ironically we were aboard the Crown on January 8th, sailing out of St Kitts when the Montserrat volcano had a minor eruption! We watched as the island became enveloped in dust and disappeared.:eek:

As the dust began to blow westwards, The 100 mile visibility sky became completely filled with dust cutting visibility at sunset down to less than ten miles and other then our group and the captain, nobody on board noticed! :o

When Krakatoa exploded on August 27, 1883 it produced a large wave which will traveled thru deep water. :D

Have you read Simon Winchester's book Krakatoa?? Immensly facinating. He makes plate tectonics interesting...seriously!! :)

This is turning into quite an educational thread. I'm glad I started it, even though I think I unintentionally came across as being a bit insensitive.

Earthquakes just happen. No way of preventing them. Since I'm from Wisconsin, I've never felt one occur. I can only imagine how unsettling that must be to feel the earth shake and see the buildings rattle and sway. Ughh...

--Jean

LOL!

I lived down Island for several years and was in Montserrat just after the 97 eruption which destroyed 2/3s of the island. Volcanoes and earthquakes are as dangerous as they are fascinating.

Ironically we were aboard the Crown on January 8th, sailing out of St Kitts when the Montserrat volcano had a minor eruption! We watched as the island became enveloped in dust and disappeared.:eek:

As the dust began to blow westwards, The 100 mile visibility sky became completely filled with dust cutting visibility at sunset down to less than ten miles and other then our group and the captain, nobody on board noticed! :o

No offence, but would it be alright if we didn't cruise/live near you..........

:D

Isn't it awful the way some foreigners allow natural disasters and personal tragedy to get in the way of entertaining American tourists? I sure hope these people keep a sense of proportion and decorum and deliver the goods. Providing, as you say, that the cliffs arn't actually on the point of subsiding into the sea, as their deaths might then be accompanied by an annoying noisy splashy sound.

:eek:

Sitting here holding my sides and shrieking :eek:

Thank god I was smart enuf to visit Acapulco from a passenger vessel back in 1963! :D Long before the ships started arriving in the masses :D

Believe me, if the cliffs are not safe, they absolutely should not risk the lives of those divers. Even if the cliffs are still sound, the authorities need to investigate and make sure that under the water earth hasn't shifted. I have heard that the depth those divers land in is not very deep. I'd much rather return to Acapulco some other time to see the cliff divers than to have them put at risk for us "darn tourists".

I hope I didn't come across sounding like a "self-centered American". Certainly wasn't my intention, that's for sure. If my post was taken that way, I genuinely apologize. I will watch with interest, any updates regarding damage and injury to the people and structures of Acapulco.

Heck...if the ship ends up sailing by Acapulco, I'll be disappointed...just for a moment...and then I'll get back to my book in the shade on the deck at the back of the ship and continue to enjoy my cruise.

I've often wondered what it would be like to be cruising when an earthquake hit? Anyone ever have that happen?

--Jan

No but the other week I was sitting right where I am now playing on CC, when one hit near Auckland, New Zealand, everything was rocking, the walls, the windows, the floor and even my trusty little lap top.

At sea it would seem like a big wave for a couple of seconds, unless you were sailing right over the top of it :eek: NOw that would be a bit of a giggle, right :D

--Jean

Jean excuse me for asking a dumb question, but I understood that Acapulco and Mexico City were some miles apart, I did not realise that they were close neighbours?

Pat,

We were on the Island Princess in Oct. coming into the Hilo port when the earthquake struck. You are right about the "rock and roll." But, we were lucky, we docked and spent the day on the Island.

Debr

That's is definitely NOT true! We were anchored off the coast of Kona, last October, when the earthquake struck. The ship shook for several seconds, so we knew something had happened. The Captain announced right away that it was an earthquake, and since we couldn't go ashore, we spent most of the morning watching the news on CNN. The cruise staff added lots of extra activiies.

I don't have any scientific or personal experiences to share, but I emailed Rosie in Acapulco this morning after hearing about the earthquake, to make sure her and her family were OK. She was our tour guide last October and we developed a long distance friendship. She just emailed back and said all was fine. She had a tour scheduled today with a group from the Regal Princess and it went well.

Some shaking and rattling, but not much damage or injuries.

I don't have any scientific or personal experiences to share, but I emailed Rosie in Acapulco this morning after hearing about the earthquake, to make sure her and her family were OK. She was our tour guide last October and we developed a long distance friendship. She just emailed back and said all was fine. She had a tour scheduled today with a group from the Regal Princess and it went well.

Some shaking and rattling, but not much damage or injuries.

Glad to hear that as my parents are on the Regal Princess right now.

The way I describe the "feel" on the Island pulling into Kona was...sorry Debbie, I know how you hate to fly, like the landing gear coming down on a big jet at landing. Felt VERY strange.

We felt it here in Florida, now that is Very strange also.:eek:

Jean excuse me for asking a dumb question, but I understood that Acapulco and Mexico City were some miles apart, I did not realise that they were close neighbours?

I know...there is a distance between the two places. Early reports yesterday morning did not define where exacting the earthquake happened. The news just said between Acapulco & Mexico City. Apparently many people in Acapulco left their buildings and stood in the streets. Very frightening.

--Jean

This is turning into quite an educational thread. I'm glad I started it, even though I think I unintentionally came across as being a bit insensitive.

Earthquakes just happen. No way of preventing them. Since I'm from Wisconsin, I've never felt one occur. I can only imagine how unsettling that must be to feel the earth shake and see the buildings rattle and sway. Ughh...

--Jean

I don't think you came across as insensitive, just as someone who has looked forward to a particular activity. We too are headed there next week and hope to see the famed cliff divers. I assumed that you would never want them to dive if there was a risk greater than usual. We feel they same way. Bon Voyage!

Archived