No Casablanca

newfarmers

I've just read on Bill and Mary Ann's thread that Casablanca had been substituted for Gibraltar on their world cruise.

We're scheduled to visit Casablanca later in the year on our Three Continents cruise. We've already had Tripoli (a place we were both looking forward to visiting) replaced with Valetta and Messina but we actually think is a pretty good trade.

But to replace Casablanca with Gibraltar will be devastating for us. Sorry for all the Gib fans out there but it is pretty nasty. Casablanca was to be one of the highlights of our voyage. We are totally unaware here (in Aus) of any problems in Morocco.

I hope that things sort themselves out before November but if we are rescheduled we hope HAL will find us somewhere a bit more interesting to visit than that awful hunk of rock.:(

There have been some problems. I copied this from another thread.

one HAL ship has cancelled their port stop in casablanca, i think the amsterdam. the problem there is quite significant if you read the international news reports. the recent bombings are tied to al qaeda. the threat became public a month or more ago when the threat was specifically made for casablanca and including tourism points - cruise ships were named. now the bombings are reality, nor rumor. if you go to google news and look it up, you will see that this matter has not fully hit the news in the US. we have had our own problems here this past week.

we know 14 people on this cruise and not one will get off the ship if it does dock in casablanca. we are very daring travelers and sometimes do very stupid things in foreign countries. this is not a threat that we are willing to ignore.

today we have all emailed and/or called holland america to issue concern and ask that they divert. so far they haven't decided to do so but it is under consideration. this is a disappointment to us all but better be safe....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com./showthread.php?t=537267

Yes, it is a disappointment when a port stop is cancelled - but it certainly is not unusual, particularly when there are terrorist concerns.

Newfarmers, I've been to both Casablance and Gibraltar, and I much prefer the latter. Just goes to show, wide variety of opinions out there.

It was interesting to read that the World Cruise did make their ports in Bali and Israel but eliminated Cassablanca.

I agree with the OP that this port is one of the highlights of the Three Continent Cruise and Gibralter cannot compare, but as KK said, pax safety comes before tourism.

Perhaps the OP might consider cancelling this cruise and rebooking the reverse intinerary, next Spring.

We enjoyed both Casa & Gib but in this instance it's a case of prudence. While I don't personally believe the risk in stopping in Casablanca has been increased by the recent suicide bombings (which show the "planning" ability of rank amateurs), no one wants to be second-guessed (like the school officials at Virginia Tech) if something happens.

Of course, that would also mean canceling stops in any port where a lone gunman or bomber has struck - or especially where an organized terrorist group has struck. Hasn't stopped cruise ships from visiting Acapulco, though...

Hi again all

We went on line after gizmo pointed us back to the web to look for more info. In this instance we can understand entirely the diversion due to the recent bombings in Casablanca but as dakrewser and hammybee have pointed out more dangerous ports continue to be visited.

We went on to the DFAT (Aust dept foreign affairs and trade) website to see what warnings there were for places we are visiting or have visited. Thailand - be vigilant; Rio currently has a greater travel warning than Morocco; Bali and the remainder of Indonesia and all of the middle east including Israel are in the 'don't go unless you're crazy' category. Yet we continue to visit these places and we should continue to visit them. When it's your time, it's your time. Noro-virus anyone?

I understand we live in a different world, but if we follow the line that a port may have a potential danger attached to it (LA, NY, Rio, Suva, Bali, Santiago, Bangkok, Cape Town, etc etc) then all we're going to be left with is cruises to...

"This is your captain speaking, I'm sorry to inform you all that we will not be sailing anywhere on this cruise and will be remaining docked for fourteen days, enjoy your time on board".

hammybee, cancelling and rebooking sadly isn't an option.

My partner has limited times throughout the year when extended leave is possible so even if it ends up being Two Continents we'll be sailing out of Venice on Oct 22 with the world's biggest smiles on our faces:)

I agree..... safety has to be primary consideration.

We had a nice day in Gibraltar. Didn't LOVE it but certainly found it interesting enough for a one day port stop. It was fun knowing we were on the 'rock' we'd seen pics of for so many years. Lots of history.

Lots of jewelers. Feels like the Caribbean walking in their main downtown shopping areas.

LONG walk down the LONG piers to get to our ship!!

Oh my ! You are doing the full sail- not just the portion from Lisbon. What a fabulous intinerary and so much to look forward to for you and your partner.

I am contemplating this cruise, from Lisbon, for my first solo sail. It's all about the single sup for me.

Who knows what the next 6 months might bring, so let's not rule out Cassablanca yet. :)

I am sorry that they cancelled Casablanca, but I think in light of recent developments, it is prudent for the Cruise Line to cancel. Not only do they put the passengers, their staff and crew at risk, they also put their major asset (the ship) in harms way. I would assume that although they are most likely self-insured, they'd not want to take risk.

In the '70's I drove through Morocco twice with two different co-workers..The second time with another gal in my office who spoke French, but she could not drive...We drove from Casablanca to Agadir..Just outside of town, had a flat & the spare was flat..A truckload of Moroccan Men stopped to help..They removed the tire, drove to town to have it fixed & within two hours they were back with the repaired tire..We tried to pay them for it, but they would not take a penny from us..They even followed us to town to be sure we had no other problems...We drove all over Morocco through the Anti-Atlas Mountains to Fez, Marrakesh, & Rabat..In every city we were welcomed & treated so well..The Mayor of Agadir, even invited us into his home for dinner.. :) That was quite an experience & another story..;)

So when we did a Trans-Atlantic on the Westerdam in 2004, I was excited to show DH & our four friends, some of the sites in Casablanca..What a difference that trip was!:( We booked a morning city tour & 2 Armed Guards were assigned to each group for protection.. While walking through the souks a lady in our party had trouble walking & she & her DH sat down on a low wall to wait for us..The Guide stated it was not safe & NO Way could they stay there!..He sent the couple back to the bus in a Taxi with one of the guards..After lunch, we usually go out & roam through town on our own..But not this time!:( I was very disappointed & was left with the impression that Americans were no longer welcomed there..

Have a hunch HAL takes into consideration the demographic breakdown of their Passengers & if there were mostly American's on board, they would cancel Casablanca. A search of the Homeland Security WEB site today, indicated that because of the recent Terrorist activities, the U.S. State Dept has increased the Threat Level to Orange (second highest, just below red) for all Domestic & International flights to & from the U.S...Would also bet Hal will sell more ships tours in Gibraltar than in Casablanca..

JMO..Enjoy your cruise...:) Betty

We stopped in Casablanca despite there being a car bomb a few days before. The port is very secure but industrial. Very dissappointing to make up and see what's there (if you are expecting something tropical and romantic). We took a tour to Habbat (sp?) and had a very nice guide. The poverty of the region was very apparent along the drive. Was introduced to the Moroccan bathrooms (YUCK). Scenery was ok. Didn't feel unsafe until we stopped in Casablanca for a chance to shop at a downtown market. Although the store we shopped in was safe, once you went outside, you were mobbed by street merchants (watches, scarfs, linens, etc). I didn't know you could fit so much under your jacket. This was a "been there, done that" port. Would never go back. Most of the people got off in Casablanca didn't like it and wrote it down in the comment cards. It just felt a bit unsafe while walking downtown. The day after we left was the day the car bomb blew up outside an American Language school.

Happy to be able to report back.

Archived