A virgin cruisers review of R714 Easter Sunrise!!

Hi all

After reading Charmain's fantastic and detailed review, I didn't know whether to post one, but decided as it was my first cruise I would post one from a 'first timers' perspective.

Embarkation: Ron and I arrived early at Portside after picking up Sue(timtamau) and hubby Greg in a stretch limo! Fantastic to see their faces when we arrived at their hotel, as they thought we were picking them up in a maxi taxi. Checked in our luggage and received 'Pink A' boarding passes. We were boarding by 10.50am and the whole embarkation procedure was very smooth and easy and took about 20mins. Stepping onto the ship for the first time....WOW!! Pinched myself, was I really there??? Then we went straight to our cabin, luggage ready and waiting for us. We stepped inside (still pinching myself) and I have to admit we did a little happy dance, we were so excited!!! Cabin 1004, Verandah Deck. Our wonderful cabin steward - 'Gus' showed us what we needed to know about the cabin, then we quickly unpacked and headed out to watch others board and wait for sail-away!

Ports of Call:

Noumea - Didn't really enjoy it. Lemon Bay tour is just a bus ride to that area and there is not much there apart from a few cafe's. Would probably look for next cruise that didn't include it as a port of call. (although we did enjoy the waffles!!!)

Lifou - Loved it. Beautiful island. Beautiful people. Great snorkelling (according to Ron, I didn't snorkel). arm tropical waters for swimming.

Vila - Lots to see and do in Vila. Enjoyed the Wharf markets, and the shopping in the city was good. Duty free - great prices.

Wala - Loved it. another beautiful island with friendly people.

There is something special about the smaller islands. (and good snorkelling again, says Ron) Swimming was nice there, although there were some people who got stung from stingers in the water. (luckily not any of us)

Pentecost - Probably my favourite island (and our hottest - 35degrees and very humid!!). The Land diving is a must see. They really are amazing, and you hold your breath as they plummet to the ground. The locals are always smiling and friendly. Another nice spot for swimming and snorkellking, although the pebble beach is hard on the feet(take the aqua shoes!)

The one and two dollar coins come in hand on the smaller island. But if you have smaller notes ($5 and $10) take these as well. The locals will often ask if you can change the coins for notes, as they cannot exchange our coins(only notes) for their local currency.

The Star: Being a 'cruise virgin', I can only say very positive things about this ship. We enjoyed every inch of her. All the facilites were wonderful and the staff were truly amazing. From the wait staff in the dining room to bar staff to cabin stewards, all were friendly and NOTHING was ever too much trouble.

The Food: Plenty of it, huge variety, casual dining to the more formal. And if you feel like a change I would HIGHLY recommend the Club Bahia Bar and Grill Steakhouse. For $20 you get a three course meal with your choice of steak for mains(or a barramudi option), great choices also for entre and dessert. (Try the blooming onion entre it's amazing and how could you go past New York Baked Cheesecake with fresh strawberry sauce for dessert!!)

The Entertainment: We found the shows to be fun and very entertaining. But we didn't bother with the guest entertainers' shows. After seeing them the first night briefly we didn't think much of the 'comedian' and I'm not much of fan of impersonators, so didn't go to see Peter Byrne (Neil Diamond), but I'm sure they were entertaining in their own right.

We spent time watching the karaoke in the Casablanca Bar - always fun. Enjoyed the International crew show, and the Anything goes Pub night.

Bingo was fun (didn't have a win:( ), and the champagne waterfall was amazing and something i've always wanted to see.

Theme Nights: A chance to dress up and have some fun. The two formal nights were wonderful and evryone on board looked amazing. Most got involved on Island Night, with lots of colourful shirts, leis and grass skirts. And of course the cocktails in the souvenir flashing glasses!! Western night saw less people dressed up, but we still managed to have some cowboys(and girls) and a few sheriffs at our table. Rock and Roll night saw some people go to a lot of effort, especially the Rock and Roll dance group from South Australia, that was their night to shine.

Overall thoughts:

First glimpse of the Star - Breathtakingly exciting!

Stepping on board for first time - Breathtakingly exciting!

Fellow passengers - Fantastic!

Meeting CC Margarita girls - A wonderful time together getting to know you all - thanks!

The Cocktails - YUMMYYYY!!!! (need i say more)

Onboard shopping - Fantastic bargains (the watches are cheap people!!) Don't ask how many I came home with...sshhh!!

The Crew - All of them - truly amazing!

Being home again - SUCKS!!! (hahaha)

Would I recommend cruising - YES YES YESSS!!!

Will I be booking another cruise - YES YES YESSS!!!

A BIG thankyou to Kaz and partner Chris for organising our tour of the bridge, and also for our invites to Champagne Mimosas with the Cruise Director and the Captain's Club Cocktail Party. We felt very lucky and priveleged to have been invited.

Hope I haven't bored anyone with this review, but i've run out of people to talk to about the cruise (until I go back to work on Monday), so I needed to tell a few more people and this was the best way to do that!! For those of you who want to see some photos of the cruise including the photo of the CC Margarita girls, here is the link:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558717508DJasdo

One final thankyou, to all of you who offered advice during the months prior to our cruise, your words of wisdom helped in so may ways and contributed to the overall success and enjoyment of the holiday. Again, THANKS!!:)

cheers!!!!

Karen;)

Lovely to see your reveiw-

Do you mean it is your first cruise ever as I see you have a few posts on the board?

We will be cruising for the first time ever on the Pacific Sun March 29 2008 Brisbane to Cairns- Whitsundys 7 night cruise and yesterday I paid deposit and book us on Pacific Dawn 10th August,2008 9 night Cruise- Noumea , Wala, Vila.

We have booked an outside Empress cabin on Pacific Sun and a balcony Cabin on Pacific Dawn.

March is a long way away but we are going to Thailand /Bali in June for a month.

The neat thing about cruising is you can book pricebreaker fares with a minimumal deposit and pay it off as the year goes around.

Lovely to see your reveiw-

We will be cruising for the first time ever on the Pacific Sun March 29 2008 Brisbane to Cairns- Whitsundys 7 night cruise and yesterday I paid deposit and book us on Pacific Dawn 10th August,2008 9 night Cruise- Noumea , Wala, Vila.

Hi Oysterfield,

Two cruises booked for 2008, lucky you.........ok i'm officially jealous!!! Gotta get myself to the Travel Agent!!

cheers!!

Karen;)

PS: I cruised in 1978 on the Kota Bali out of Fremantle, but it was little more than a livestock carrier (yes we were carrying livestock), so I don't count that one!!

Hi Karen,

Thanks for posting your great review. I really enjoyed reading it and your pictures are great.

Nothing like starting at the top with a balcony cabin. :p

It looks like you had a fabulous time and it's made me do the 'happy dance' with excitement as ours is coming up soon.

After reading Charmain's fantastic and detailed review, I didn't know whether to post one, but decided as it was my first cruise I would post one from a 'first timers' perspective.

Thanks for you review... I encourage everyone to write reviews. We all have different perspectives and experiences and it would be great for everyone to hear about them. I had heaps of time to write my review so I took advantage of it. I look forward to seeing everyone's thoughts.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Thanks for you review... I encourage everyone to write reviews. We all have different perspectives and experiences and it would be great for everyone to hear about them. I had heaps of time to write my review so I took advantage of it. I look forward to seeing everyone's thoughts.

Cheers,

Hi Charmain

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Ive been looking at cruises today..... hmmmm wonder how soon before I book!!

cheers!!

karen;)

WOW!!! What great photos. Thanks for sharing Karen...

Yes, that when do we book the next one question??? :confused: I have to admit the last few times it's been easy for us. They have been booked before we go on the last one!!!:D

We are booked to travel on the Dawn in January. Should be great. Nan is threatening that it will be her last as she doesn't want to renew her passport and she is getting too old, but I will believe it when I see it.

Cheers,

I hope you continue to stick around. Many people don't once their cruise is over.

Karen

I agree with that. Whatever happened to Smurfette? I can't think of anyone else at the moment (too many Chardonnays). ;)

Can anyone name any more prolific past posters who have disappeared?

Jeez, 'prolific past posters'...... definitely time for another wine. :p

what about DanFromSydney & his brother BradFromNewy, Truebliss72 (Anissa who had to cancel her cruise because her son was sick then got sick herself), Neicy&Ron, realdinkidi, white mouse (first to cruise on the Star)... the list goes on and on and on and on..

Or how about some ones we prefer to forget like greykangaroo or any of the plants from Today Tonight....

Loved your review Karen & am about to look at your photos. I hope you continue to stick around. Many people don't once their cruise is over.

Karen

Thanks Karen....

Yes I plan to stick around the boards. I want to able to share in the excitement of everyone elses cruises, and to share any wisdom I might have gained on my cruise. Also, it's like visiting friends when you log on here!!!

So no, you can't get rid of me that easily!!!:D

cheers!!!

Karen;)

what about DanFromSydney & his brother BradFromNewy, Truebliss72 (Anissa who had to cancel her cruise because her son was sick then got sick herself), Neicy&Ron, realdinkidi, white mouse (first to cruise on the Star)... the list goes on and on and on and on..

Or how about some ones we prefer to forget like greykangaroo or any of the plants from Today Tonight....

Yeh chaz, Dan & Anissa were the first ones that came to mind. But there are others of course. Remember Chook (and her DH who also posted a couple of times) from SA? They went on a cruise with a heap of Rock "n" Roll dancers. Never even came back on to say if they had a good time or not.

And yes, know what you mean about greykangaroo.

Karen

Hi Chardonnaykmw. Just read your review. Great. Will look at your photos soon. DH and I did our 1st on the SUN in FEB and had a ball. I am on here all the time and never thought of not being. It is so much like a family and you want to see what they are all up to. Happy you had a good 1st cruise and will go again. Suexxx

Hi Karen,

Loved the photo's..I have downloaded them onto my computer for my 'cruise album'. I am hoping the others post theirs as well...Mel got some fun shots so I am looking forward to seeing them.

Still not sure whether or not to do my review...everyones seemed so positive and I had a few grumbles....One particular crew member really ticked me off!!! Yep!!! Chris....he took me off the list and that is why I didn't know about the Mimosa's!!! Chris Nichols dobbed him in at lunch one day.....ggggrrrrrrrrr......he knows I would be in for a free drinky poo!

Still, I have loved all the reviews as they bring back some fun memories...but it seems such a long time ago now!!

Count down has started...5 months till the Pacific Sun and 9 months till the Sun Princess (if Chris doesn't get his contract changed again).

Kaz

Kaz - we don't mind hearing negatives in reviews - helps to give people the full picutre.

Regarding Chris and the mimosa's - maybe he just wanted to keep you to himself while you were there??

Hi Karen,

Still, I have loved all the reviews as they bring back some fun memories...but it seems such a long time ago now!!

Kaz

Hey Kaz

Yes it's hard to believe it's only one week since we docked back in Brisbane. Feels a lot longer than that!! What is it about being home and back in the 'real' world, that makes holiday memories seem so distant???

oh well I have my photos and I've been looking at them on a daily basis!!

Let me know if you want any more to download for your 'cruise album', I have about another 300 that I didn't upload to webshots!!

cheers!!!!

Karen;)

Thanks for sharing the photos. I was interested to see the'onion' I have heard so much about but never seen as being a vege I don'y go to the steakhouse with the others. Just wondering who took the photo of the CC group with the captain in Casablanca and on the bridge as I would love a copy of them also??:)

Just wondering who took the photo of the CC group with the captain in Casablanca and on the bridge as I would love a copy of them also??:)

Hi Sue

I know the one in Casablanca of us CC girls and Captain Ravera was taken on Maria's camera .....not sure about the one on the bridge?

cheers!!

Karen;)

Hi Kaz, as a first time cruiser booked for Sept I am really eager to read all reviews whether positive or negative. Helps to take some of the nerves out of the waiting - at least if I have some idea of what to expect I can sort of prepare for the best or the worst....or NOT !! :-)

Hi SouthAussie100,

Trust me you will LOVE your cruise. If you are new to these boards you will find as I did, they are full of wise and wonderful people only too willing to give you advice and answer your cruise questions. Love your comment about your kids!! How old are they?, and good for you leaving them at home. We did the same thing. They survived and so did the house!!

cheers!!

Karen;)

loved reading your review karen. it is great to read so many different views on the same cruise. you guys sound like you had a ball. The "Dawn" cruise will certainly be one to remember if this is anything to go by, still sorry i cannot join you all. Maybe if someone drops out in a four berth or something!!! who knows, i will still wave you all off.

karon

Archived