Concierge Lounge?

We are considering booking a GS for May of next year on the Radiance, our first cruise with RCI and our first suite. Have previously cruised HAL and Princess. We understand having a suite entitles you to use the concierge lounge. I know what the concierge can do for us but don't know what amenities there are in the lounge itself, i.e. newspapers, magazines, coffee, goodies etc. Could any past suite cruisers please enlighten me. Thanks.

Along with the suite passengers you will be joined by the Diamond Crown and Anchor members.

The concierge club has fresh coffee 24 hours a day. There is a continental breakfast in the mornings and pre-dinner canapes along with an open bar.

Dinner menus for the dining room and the specialty restaurant, DVD's to borrow, some magazines,wine list, etc. Brief flier style newspapers are available in the Library but go early as the US News tends to disappear before noon.

I'm sure there are a few more things but that's what I remember.

Don't forget you also get canapes delivered to your stateroom everyday. I can't remember but I think majority of time it is before dinner.

Enjoy the GS and remember you will be spoiled with this category (or higher) from here on in.

Enjoy your cruise.

Only the Voyager and the Radiance class ships have concierge lounges.

You will be given a special key for the concierge lounge.

We liked the lounge on the Serenade (Radiance class) better than on the Voyager class, as the lounge on the Serenade has a view of the sea. On the Voyager class ships the lounge is in the center of the ship, and has no windows. The amenities are the same, of course.

Happy Cruising, Ginnie

We have not cruised on the Radiance ships before, and have a future trip booked on Jewel of the Seas. When you say "Open Bar" -- is that only beer and wine? or are mixed drinks provided, as well.

Thanks.

Bookit

The open bar is wonderful! I had campagne and caviar. Hubby had scotch on the rocks. And they had good brands not bar brands. Beer was in the refer so did not see how many brands of beer they carried.

Mixed drinks or whatever your little heart desires...nice, huh?

trufles2:

We are definately looking forwarding to checking this out on the Serenade 9/26/04 to Hawaii!! :D Sounds like a wonderful way to relax.

Bruce

If you have access to the Concierge Club, then you may use the services of the concierge. He will help to book your Portofino reservations, spa treatments, shore excursions, make recommendations to you for tours etc. He magically got us onto a tour that guest relations said had been sold out. His hours are posted but he is usually in the concierge club lounge from about 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. or 8:30 and maybe during the afternoon as well. He also chats with the guests. If you are in the royal suite, you get extra special attention. We have access due to Diamond membership, and have found the concierge to be always pleasant and helpful.

In addition to coffee and tea, there is espresso and capuccino available 24 hours a day. You serve yourself.

We like to visit the concierge club before dinner - I have a glass or two of champagne. After dinner, we might drop in for the chocolate covered strawberries and a brandy.

We feel truly spoiled! :)

SeaBaby

I enjoyed having the concierge lounge. You are given a special key card to open the door. The hours for open bar are short -- from as I recall -- 5:30 to 8:30 pm. The lounge is open 24/7 and the concierge is on duty for two segments each day. She/he is helpful in a number of ways, and WILL remember you when you come in. The one on AOS hugged me when I was leaving!

Royal suite holders have access as well. Category 2 and above qualify.

Thanks for your replies as to the "open bar" -- this sounds a nice perk for us, as the GS is a little more pricey on this ship, than past ones (without the concierege).

I am also excited that it sounds a very pleasant way to spend some time -- love those special coffees, and the fact that we can have some canapes and a drink before dinner!

Bookit

The other perk of Concierge service is to pick which color tickets you want for debarkation. That was great!

Also, they do have mixed drinks available, but not foo-foo bar drinks. More of your mixer type drinks (rum and coke, etc).

Our first cruise was on the Voyager two years ago and we upgraded at the pier for a Grand Suite. It was wonderful and spoilied us for life. Now we're going on our second cruise, and have booked a Junior Suite; hoping that we can upgrade to a Grand Suite at the pier again. If not, I'll be truly depressed....

Enjoy. You'll have fun.

Can anyone tell me if the Concierge will make reservations for the rock wall as well? I know my son is going to want to climb it a few times while on board but I don't want to have to spend the first day running around making reservations for everything.

Reipleysmom- don't think you need reservations for the rock climbing. My DH and his friend wanted to try and they just walk up and before we knew it they were all suited up.

Socks are a must so make sure he brings them along.

Not sure if the concierge can prebook, but it does not hurt to ask. Although I think it is first come first serve.

Hope this helps.

Riotgrl13,

I have cruised on the Splendour twice, in a GS. I would say that my experience dictates that: perks vary with the cruise length and port of embarkation. On an 11 day Panama Canal cruise (Port of Galveston), there were: chocolate covered strawberries for "sail-away", canapes each afternoon, and truffles and petit fours (several times late evening). On a recent 5 day cruise (Port of Galveston), there was a small fruit plate, upon boarding. Each cruise, there were (I like the RCI "Explorae" brand products!) full size shampoos, lotions, basket w/mending kit, shoe-shine, etc.)

Embarkation (GS) was controlled on the 11 day Panama Cruise. It was ABSOLUTE CHAOS ON THE 04/28/03 5 day cruise! In 5 RCI recent cruises, I have never seen anything like it! Once it was announced that the ship had "cleared immigration", there was a mad rush by almost everyone (except us, LOL!) for all the stairs, elevators. It was as it the Splendour had our money -- now LOTS OF LUCK! So, do not count on a high level suite for any special treatment as far as embarking or debarking ... we were scrambling with the people who had paid hundreds less than we for this cruise. BTW, 1 piece of our luggage "wasn't there" by the time we got to the terminal -- our loss was over $2,000.

Now, I loved the recent refurbishment -- I wanted to stay on and go to Barcelona -- if I had, maybe we would have that luggage!!

Bookit

The best part of getting a GS is the GS. Concerige service is nice, but when the drinks are free (something like 5 - 7), it tends to get crowded and you're not supposed to take drinks from the lounge to your room. You will love your room. We did a 10 day PC cruise on Brilliance and stayed in a GS. The room made the cruise. Big, nice balcony, nice sound system, big bathroom. Easy to entertain in etc., etc. You will love it!

Mark & Janet

Shadow...

I was on the Radiance. email me and I will be happy to email you a lengthy reveiw of the ship.. I was also in a GS room...1036 very very nice room.. and I do have many many pics for you.. email me with Radiance review in the title so i dont delete it and i will forward you all the emails...

Thanks Tom

plyman69@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived