Parkwest Takes Over Rotterdam's Crow's Nest - Denies Passengers Access

It appears that Crystal is more interested than Hal. They did take the time to send the response to CC and it looks like they are taking steps to insure non group pax get the cruise they paid for.

I think Hal failed miserably.

Hal couldn't even get the story straight.

It's all about customer service....or no-customer service, in the case of HAL (concerning this issue).

HAL will continue to do this until they see a drop in revenue. Maybe groups will become the main focus with HAL, and the individual cruisers will become second-string, the "fillers' for the leftover cabins. And I suppose if the individual cruiser understands this from the get-go, then that's up to them.

Crystal does have a different market than HAL. And they must feel that they can't risk losing their individual cruisers, so they are taking action to please everyone. HAL may not be to that point yet. They must feel they have an abundance of groups to fill their ships...and enough indiv cruisers to make up the rest. But this might change, and then HAL will have to work hard to pull back in all those cruisers who left.

But there certainly are other vacation options out there. When we travel, we don't like being considered "fill in" folks. lol

Well, customer service does mean something to us, as does value. We just booked a 19 day on Regent Mariner, which IS all inclusive, all-suite for $2000 less than we paid for the HAL Rotterdam 12 nighter.

In the end, all we can do is vote with our pocketbook, and we did.

Well, customer service does mean something to us, as does value. We just booked a 19 day on Regent Mariner, which IS all inclusive, all-suite for $2000 less than we paid for the HAL Rotterdam 12 nighter.

Sounds like you got a great deal!! Congrats!!

Good for you!!! :)

You're right...all we can do is vote with our $$$. And isn't it wonderful that there are so many vacation options available to us? :)

In case anyone is still interested in this issue, I have still have not received any response from Mariner Society to my email now 6 weeks old expressing concern about this incident on our Rotterdam cruise. i did receive confirmation of receipt so i know they did receive it. have others got responses to your snail mail?

Well as chance would have it, today I received a reply from the Office of the President. I must admit the reply was thorough and quite apologetic. A token was offered. It did not seem to me to be a "form" response. Case closed for me but I do hope a lesson was learned and similar bookings will not be repeated.

Well as chance would have it, today I received a reply from the Office of the President. I must admit the reply was thorough and quite apologetic. A token was offered. It did not seem to me to be a "form" response. Case closed for me but I do hope a lesson was learned and similar bookings will not be repeated.

If you are willing to post all or part of the actual text of the letter, I'd be interested in seeing it, and I doubt I'm the only one. The "token" is your private concern, of course, but I would like to read the "thorough and quite apologetic" language, in order to gauge for myself the extent to which it seems to indicate that, as you put it, "a lesson was learned." But if you'd rather not go to the trouble of typing it for us, that's understandable. Thanks.

Thank you Tom for letting us know that you received a satisfactory response to your e-mail...I'm so glad to hear that you believe HAL took responsibility & apologized for the fiasco, which affected you..

I honestly don't think it's important to post the letter...I believe it is for you to judge if you are satisfied with HAL's response, since you were involved..Thanks again for letting us know..Betty

The "token" is your private concern, of course, but I would like to read the "thorough and quite apologetic" language, in order to gauge for myself the extent to which it seems to indicate that, as you put it, "a lesson was learned." But if you'd rather not go to the trouble of typing it for us, that's understandable. Thanks.

It would be nice if HAL really took action on this issue. I guess time will tell. If this sort of thing becomes a regular happening...you can bet we'll hear about it here at CC.

Did anybody happen to notice a thread on the HAL board this morning which was titled "Holland America Does It Again", or something similar? It was about a similar situation on the Rotterdam's recent sailing re: a block off of the Crow's Nest during that cruise for the same art selling group. My husband saw it this morning, and when I tried to find it just now (4 PM) I was unable to find it. W'ha hoppened? :confused: PENNY

Did anybody happen to notice a thread on the HAL board this morning which was titled "Holland America Does It Again", or something similar? It was about a similar situation on the Rotterdam's recent sailing re: a block off of the Crow's Nest during that cruise for the same art selling group. My husband saw it this morning, and when I tried to find it just now (4 PM) I was unable to find it. W'ha hoppened? :confused: PENNY

Believe that this is the only thread which has been here for weeks...No other thread exists unless somone on another cruise board is quoting this one..

Or your DH could be refering to the Maasdam thread, which was clarified by other posters who said that all psgrs were invited to the jazz concerts..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=573437

We have only cruised 8 times with HAL so they will not declare chapter 7 because we are moving to Princess. (The money will still be in the family) The fiasco on the Rotterdam with HAL in denial as to what happened and the error in pricing (on the Noordam?) a year ago and then requiring people to pay additonal money even after they had made the final payment is enough to convince me that I can ill afford to book with HAL again. Who knows what they will do next!!!

Alas Princess has no Crow's Nest and their version of the Lido is poor...

Bon voyage to you wonderful people I have met on this board.

Lipoppop

If you are willing to post all or part of the actual text of the letter, I'd be interested in seeing it, and I doubt I'm the only one. The "token" is your private concern, of course, but I would like to read the "thorough and quite apologetic" language, in order to gauge for myself the extent to which it seems to indicate that, as you put it, "a lesson was learned." But if you'd rather not go to the trouble of typing it for us, that's understandable. Thanks.

O2B@C,

I don't want to copy the letter per se. I don't think that is appropriate. It was from the Special Advisor to the President and used words such as "apologize for not experiencing our best" . The exact concern of the large group taking over the CN was specifically addressed. It wasn't simply generalized as others received. She referred to the CN as a "favored area". The token offer on a future cruise is just a token and thats OK with us. I wasn't looking for any compensation just an explanation. I received it and am OK. While there is no wording expressly stating it will not occur in the future, I can only speculate they are smarting on this incident. No doubt groups will reserve rooms in the future but hopefully not for an entire cruise.

As many have said in this long thread Groups are a reality and may help to keep fares lower. All we need is a balance between meeting the needs of the Group and independent cruiser. I don't think that can be that difficult if people are reasonable. A few times here and there won't be a problem for us.

Curioser and curioser. I received my letter from a Special Advisor to the President as well. Now, I only have four HAL cruises under my belt so didn't receive a "token". Not that I'm looking for one either.

I wonder what made them change the response?

I don't think we're beating a dead horse yet. It matters to me that the HAL experience stays positive. I want to look forward to our cruise and I've been perfectly happy with HAL. I'm not looking to change cruise lines. I'm comfortable with HAL. I'm making final payment on our October cruise this week.

Curioser and curioser. I received my letter from a Special Advisor to the President as well. Now, I only have four HAL cruises under my belt so didn't receive a "token". Not that I'm looking for one either.

I wonder what made them change the response?

I don't think we're beating a dead horse yet. It matters to me that the HAL experience stays positive. I want to look forward to our cruise and I've been perfectly happy with HAL. I'm not looking to change cruise lines. I'm comfortable with HAL. I'm making final payment on our October cruise this week.

Archived