Smoking on Azamara

pittipatga

So you might consider that as a smoker I should have had Information about the restricted smoking policys.

Phil

I would support your stance if your cruise was imminent. A year away is a long time to make alternate plans. If local governments forced restaurants/bars to abolish smoking overnight there would be a huge outcry. They typically provide six months notice of a change in policy, so one year is more than fair.

As far as complaints from neighbors on adjoining balconies about smoke and ashes etc - these boards are absolutely full of them.

Now your previous statements may have been made tongue in cheek - so I apologize for not necessarily recognizing that.

I am sure if you have not made your final payment you can cancel or transfer to another ship without penalty

For those that are in the penalty phase you might try asking if you can transfer your booking to another ship without penalty or cancel without penalty because of the new policies.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Write a letter to the CEO stating your displeasure in the way things were kept secret. Stating you would not have booked knowing there would not be smoking allowed in the cabins, no formal nights or no children's programs etc...

This whole thread is amazing to me, even as a person who smoked for forty years before my recent coronary.

But...the most amazing thing is that the smoking policy is being seen as some sort of "secret" or on-purpose delay of the release of the policy almost as an effort to "trap" smokers.

I think what the delay in the first cruise today shows is that this whole Azamara Journey exercise has been a pretty last-minute change in plans and has caught everyone fairly flat-footed, including the company, who is going to be in the hole a couple of million for the problems onboard that delayed today's sailing.

Too often here, we tend to assume the worst possible construction on things that happen...this thead, for instance, and the IN (wansn't it?) in late from Hawaii last weekend.

Sometimes things just happen and their ain't no devil to be discovered.

I would support your stance if your cruise was imminent. A year away is a long time to make alternate plans. If local governments forced restaurants/bars to abolish smoking overnight there would be a huge outcry. They typically provide six months notice of a change in policy, so one year is more than fair.

As far as complaints from neighbors on adjoining balconies about smoke and ashes etc - these boards are absolutely full of them.

Now your previous statements may have been made tongue in cheek - so I apologize for not necessarily recognizing that.

Your right. my cruise is not imminent, and I have plenty of time to make other plans (although I probably won't, because we have commited to other folks, who by the way, as well as my wife are non smokers)

My point remains the same, the unfairness to those folks who are in a penalty phase, I know, I know life is not fair,:p

Phil

Restricting smoking to a certain area of the ship is a great compromise that really should appease everyone. Both the smokers and non-smokers alike suffer minimal discomfort and disruption as the few steps both have to take to either get to or go around the smoke deck seems reasonable. As does the amount of notice given by the line.

Sounds like they have found a niche' (cruisers who love restricted smoking ~not totally nonsmoking~ like Oceania) and are trying to fill it..

From what I have been told, the restrictions sound almost exactly like Oceania, i.e. totally nonsmoking except for the two areas mentioned.

I wish there were no smoking at all on Azamara, but am thrilled that I don't have to "jump ship" from Celebrity to Oceania just to be assured that no smoke from someone else's balcony will drift to mine, won't have to worry about fires from lit cigarettes on the balcony, a la Princess, that the linens and other softgoods won't be stinky.

I applaud Celebrity/Azamara for the decision to go non-smoking.

They WILL succeed, regardless what the smoking naysayers predict.

In fact, I think I'll go out and buy some stock. :-)

My point remains the same, the unfairness to those folks who are in a penalty phase, I know, I know life is not fair,

Phil

I fully understand that point and was definitely on the other side of the fence earlier today with respect to how could Celebrity/Azamara do this to their passengers.

One would expect them to waive the penalty clause if so requested. However if someone is in the penalty phase there is very little time to make alternate arrangements and re-arrange flights etc..

My point from earlier today also remains the same - "This has been one very poorly managed transition all in a knee jerk reaction to being rebuffed by Oceania in their takeover attempt". Plans to hatch a new cruiseline is not an overnight affair and I think Celebrity/RCI jumped the gun without really knowing what they were doing. Doesn't seem like a real smart business move to me.

Good luck in whatever you plan to do as after a tiny amount of research I realize your transatlantic on Quest is tied to a B2B on another ship and obviously not easy to rearrange.

I hope Azamara sticks to their policy regarding smoking. There are smoking areas on the ship. If a smoker isn't happy with that, then they can cancel their cruise. If they are in the penalty phase then i guess they have no choice but to be an adult and smoke only where allowed or forfeit their deposit. How can we get our children to respect rules if we as adults are going to ignore them whenever we don't like them? Happy Sailing!

Thanks for the good wishes Mr, Tucker. Things will work out, the cruise out of Rome departs the same day we arrive on the Quest.

Ya know, my sweet wife was more upset about the smoking issue than I was, even tho she is a non smoker, she is always thinking about my comfort, either that or she is fearful of my onery mood if I go to long with out a smoke:D

Phil

I smoke and think the smoking restrictions in public spaces on Azamara are good ones. However, I would make one change -- smokers may smoke in cabins and on balconies on the port side cabins only. That way, people who are very allergic or sensitive to smokers can book the starboard side and those who smoke, or don't care, can book port side.

rswallis; I totally agree with you. I am a smoker and yes I do make every effort to be sensitive of non-smokers; even though i'm sure at times my smoking annoys people. I am well aware of this. What you are suggesting is probably the most reasonable idea I've heard / read here. That way the two ships could cater to both.

We were actually at the point of booking the Quest but now are awaiting the verdict on Monday as to the smoking policy before we book. This would have been our first try with Celebrity.

I'm still hopefull that Azamara / Celebrity is reading and watching this board and will make a decision that is equitable to all.:rolleyes:

I smoke and think the smoking restrictions in public spaces on Azamara are good ones. However, I would make one change -- smokers may smoke in cabins and on balconies on the port side cabins only. That way, people who are very allergic or sensitive to smokers can book the starboard side and those who smoke, or don't care, can book port side.

The four of us agree 100% with your response. Glad this news broke one day before, and not one day after, we booked our upcoming cruise. Some things sometimes do work out for the best. The Journey had sounded very good, except for the dining attire arrangements, but that was something that could be adapted to without affecting the overall cruise experience.

We will be watching along with a number of you for the outcome. Until then, all of you lucky non-smokers, have a wonderful first cruise. We can't wait to hear all about it.

Count us among the canceling cruisers. Luckily our booking was on the Quest next March but unless something drastic happens in the next few days we'll be dropping a great cabin on what could have been a great cruise for us. Some have asked "why not wait?" Well, we always book a year out, give or take a month or two. We'd narrowed our research down to three cruises and decided on the Quest. Since then the cabin category we were interested in on one of the other cruises has booked full.....that's why we won't/can't wait too long to dump the Quest cruise.

I am really thrilled to see the the smoking policy was change with less than Amonth to go before my cruise so I guess Ill fofit half the cruise fare and cancel my other bookings. this on top of the fact that this cruise was booked in May of last year and when they changed to Journey I got A room in a much worse location than I had on the Zeinth.

Celebrity has made a very bad move in trying to copy Oceania outright. I hope they are reading these boards and come to their senses! If they were counting on former X passengers moving up to Azamara, they are in for a rude awakening. I tried Oceania once and will not return due to their absurd smoking policy. I could not even enjoy my pipe anywhere indoors, only in one small outside area by the pool. I remember when all the Michael's Clubs were cigar bars, then they eliminated those and the rooms sat empty until they could figure out what to do with them. I have been an avid Celebrity fan until this announcement, have over 15 cruises in five years with them, but with this decision they have lost my business, for better of for worse.

I'm actually surprised that more cruise lines haven't made the balconies non smoking ever since the fire on princess which was causes by a cigarette. I feel for the smokers but more and more places are becoming non smoking. Even here in Maryland starting next February, all restaurants, bars and private clubs will be non smoking. Can't wait might rejoin the American Legion now that I can eat there without stinking. Another 10 years, I truly believe that you'll only be allowed to smoke in your house and car.

Take care,

Michael

I'm actually surprised that more cruise lines haven't made the balconies non smoking ever since the fire on princess which was causes by a cigarette. I feel for the smokers but more and more places are becoming non smoking. Even here in Maryland starting next February, all restaurants, bars and private clubs will be non smoking. Can't wait might rejoin the American Legion now that I can eat there without stinking. Another 10 years, I truly believe that you'll only be allowed to smoke in your house and car.

Take care,

Michael

In Puerto Rico, you cannot smoke in your own car (while driving), you will get a fine...

I have not posted on this board before, since I usually cruise with HAL. However, we are booked on the Journey in December. I had not realized that Celebrity had such a liberal smoking policy. Personally, I am thrilled that the Journey will have a very limited smoking policy, since I have very bad asthma. I was worried that since we have an aft cabin, we would have smoke drifting down to our veranda from the top decks aft. However, I do agree that Celebrity has done a lousy job of notifying people. I would be equally ticked to find out in mid December that they had rescinded their current smoking policy and gone back to a more liveral one. With that said though, I feel much better about being able to breathe easier on our cruise. Just my opinion.

For all you asthmatics and smoke allergies, why is it you only blame smoke to cause an attack? the asthma came from something internal with you alone, or did your previous smoking cause the problem? How do you avoid all the other irritants? Something in the air or food caused you to get this diagnosis. As for areas to smoke being so limited, how would you drinkers like it to be told upon boarding the ship that the new rule is no alcohol in your room, balcony,the dining room, the pool,the theatre, sitting areas, and decks? Yes, you can have a drink at a table in the aft area of the ship, on one side only!! Come on non smokers, we smokers have other places to go and enjoy ourselves, so we don't need your comments about how happy you are about no smoking. The point to this thread is HOW IT WAS HANDLED WITH NO WARNING!

For all you asthmatics and smoke allergies, why is it you only blame smoke to cause an attack? the asthma came from something internal with you alone, or did your previous smoking cause the problem? How do you avoid all the other irritants? Something in the air or food caused you to get this diagnosis. As for areas to smoke being so limited, how would you drinkers like it to be told upon boarding the ship that the new rule is no alcohol in your room, balcony,the dining room, the pool,the theatre, sitting areas, and decks?

If you smoke a cigarette next to me, it "may" affect me, BUT if I have a drink next to you, it WILL NOT affect you!

Yes, you can have a drink at a table in the aft area of the ship, on one side only!! Come on non smokers, we smokers have other places to go and enjoy ourselves, so we don't need your comments about how happy you are about no smoking. True, mean comments are uncalled for! however, everyone here is entitled to their opinion, such as yourself, no?

The point to this thread is HOW IT WAS HANDLED WITH NO WARNING! X/Azamara should have informed everyone of the new smoking policy.. thanks for pointing this out!? :rolleyes: [/quote]

;)

It didn't take long for the comment of how a drink next to me would affect me, I knew the comment was coming!!! You missed the point!!! I was saying if your enjoyment is a drink, and you are accustomed to drinking in your room, dining room etc., and that priveledge was taken away with no prior notice, how would you feel? Would you want to stay on the ship or perhaps not even book the cruise? That's what the smokers are getting at!!

Hi Everyone !

I am glad this thread is staying relatively civilized. I realize this is a very sensitive topic for all of us. I hope the thread continues in an informative fashion.

I am not in favor of smoking in cabins and even more so, on the balconies. I hope we havent forgotten what happened on Star Princess. While it was tragic that 1 person died, it could have been far worse. That event was a real eye opener for all Cruise passengers.

I have been amazed that since the Star Princess accident, that more Cruiselines have not either banned smoking onboard, or reduced it dramatically. I know that those passengers who smoke, will not be happy with any curtailment of smoking, but safety onboard a Cruise ship MUST always come first.

For those who made comments that its not about smoking, but more about how the matter was handled, you have my sympathy. IMHO, this decision should have been made a long time ago, so that smokers could make a decision that works best for them.

Come on non smokers, we smokers have other places to go and enjoy ourselves, so we don't need your comments about how happy you are about no smoking. The point to this thread is HOW IT WAS HANDLED WITH NO WARNING!

For those who made comments that its not about smoking, but more about how the matter was handled, you have my sympathy. IMHO, this decision should have been made a long time ago, so that smokers could make a decision that works best for them.

Exactly the point.

It would be nice if someone from Celebrity/Azamara came forward and apologized - saying basically we screwed up with this extremely late notice, this will indeed be our policy henceforth and what can we do to make it better for you if this policy is seriously going to impact your pleasure on the cruise you booked.

Never going to happen and that is why this will remain a can of worms and a very emotional controversial issue to those who now feel slighted and have not time to make alternate plans.

The fire on the Princess was a tragedy. It was caused by a cigarette. How many cruisers are at sea at this very minute. Many many thousands I would think. 24/7/365. One incident with all those folks smoking on their balconies and rooms seems statistacilly insignificant. There are far more folks falling overboard - probably from alcohol. I didn't want this tread to get into a battle between smokers and non-smokers. Drinkers and non-drinkers. I don't do either and don't care who does or doesn't. I just wanted to go on vacation. If you want to smoke - fine -if you want to drink - fine. It was just an attempt to discuss the way Celebrity has handeled the rules for their new ships. One day before their failed first sailing, a new web site with new information. When I called Celebrity to inquire about the Quest, I was told they would let me know Monday. I just found this entire way of doing business kinda sad. I will sign off this thread now.:confused:

Archived