First Mediterranean coming up...a few questions for veterans

bububr

Okay its not really until June 9th of next year...but I'm planning the flights and would like to try and use my miles if possible.

We are planning on flying in a day or two earlier to do some sightseeing, we have been in Europe before so we are taking our chances with the bureau of tourism recommending a hotel when we get there...we like adventure of not making reservations some times. So getting there is no problem. But if you have any recomendations they are welcome.

The main question I do have is for the return flight.

The itinerary shows us returning at 4:00 AM. The flight I'm looking at is at 11:15 AM. Now of course we do realize there is always the possiblity of late disembarkation, or a problem...but we usually roll with the punches.

Is 11:15 too early for the return flight out of FCO?

How long does it take from Civitavecchia to FCO?

Transportation to and from? best or what to avoid.

We've booked #9130 (Veranda) on Vista deck, but will wait to see if there are any price drops and may jump up to Concierge class? any thoughts?

Looking forward to your responses!

Dave:eek:

Dave,

I'm sure there are others with more details, but....the airport is quite a distance from the port and traffic can be awful. I suppose you'll be fine with an 11:30 AM flight, but I'd book later in the date to deal with possible contingencies and make sure you've arranged reliable transportation from ship to air.... Re: hotels, there are lots of recommendations on the Europe Board, but I wouldn't reserve near the airport...get something in your price range in the city. Re: reservations - remember that you're sailing in prime season and reservations are probably an excellent idea. It's a great trip - have a blast!

Dave,

You weren't too specific...but, in trying to fill in from the info given, I take it you are on the Galaxy and sailing in and out of Rome?

First, that 4 am arrival...

I have never been on a ship with that early an arrival time, but I assume that since you are coming from another EU port, customs will not be an issue...If they were, I doubt they'd be getting anyone off the ship anywhere close to 4 am...But, I would try and check with Celebrity directly...If no customs clearance and they arrive that early, making an 11:15 am flight should be easy...Though, were it me, I'd leave later--even spend an extra "wind down" night in Rome...

As to travel times and methods port to airport, I couldn't tell you...I've flown in and out of Venice and Milan, but never Rome...

On the hotel thing, though...

I've been travelling to Europe for most of my life now...and, in times long ago, used to just show up and find a hotel--often using local tourist bureaus...BUT I do not do that anymore...Times have changed...20 or 30 years ago (heck, we even toured Europe that way 13 years ago), pre-internet, the only reservations easily made from here were the big, expensive, international chains...we could ignore those, just get to whatever town we were visiting, stop by the tourist bureau and get some really nice bargains on local hotels...

But, with the internet what it is now, every small to large hotel in Europe has a website...and a way of taking advance reservations...There are sites like TripAdvisor.com providing reviews and info on thousands of hotels...and sites like Travelocity and Venere and hotels.com and Yahoo.Travel and Expedia that will make reservations for you anywhere...

And, especially in summer months, better hotels tend to book up more thanks to everyone making advance internet reservations...And, often, I've found, you can get much better deals booking WAY in advance...I just make sure to only book CANCELABLE rates...You can always continue to monitor rates and if you find a better deal, just cancel...

It only makes sense to show up without reservations when you don't know your precise itinerary...If you KNOW you will be in Rome June 7 and 8, I would book something NOW...or at least in the next 2-3 months...

Now, my advice on getting to Rome a "day or two early" is to definitely try to get there AT LEAST TWO days early...maybe more...I have always found that after several hours in airports and on airplanes...and with a major multi-hour time zone change, we are usually wiped out for at least a day or two...Even if you've been to Rome, there's plenty to see (I've been there maybe a cumulative 30 days or so over the years and still find so many new things each visit)...and when you're falling asleep after lunch...because it's the middle of the night "your time", those first couple of days won't be all that productive...

As to hotels in Rome, I've got my favorite...It might be a bit pricey for some, but you didn't state your criteria...What I really like is the location--right at the Piazza Navona...very hard to top that:

http://www.raphaelhotelrome.com/eng.html

Good luck...

Civitavecchia is roughly an hour away from FCO. To make life easy, I'd definately look into booking the transportation that Celebrity offers from the pier to the airport, as other options will be few and far between.

Also - just my personal opinion - but I found FCO to be even more chaotic than Heathrow. From the time we got there until we were at our gate took probably a good hour at least - and that was before 9/11. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, so to speak. I'd probably take a flight leaving after noon to be on the safe side.

I am taking a cruise out of Rome this year and have the same question about what time we can actually get off the ship when we return. Our flight is at 11:30 am. I called Celebrity directly and they gave me two different answers. My agent called Celebrity and received a third answer. We are trying to find out what time we should tell a driver to pick us up. But, I do know that you will have to arrange for a driver to be there waiting for you. You will not make it back in time by train or if you take Celebrity's transportation from the ship.

As for hotels, I agree with the previous posting....make a reservation even if you have to cancel it. Do not book through a site that has a cancellation penalty....book directly through the hotel. We stayed at The Brittannia before and it was perfect. You can take the train from the airport and walk a few blocks to the hotel...and then you can easily take the train to the ship. Hope this helps....

I wouldn't chance missing your flight. It will take at least 1.5 hours to get to the airport by car. So assuming that you disembark at 8AM- and get through customs, get a taxi or bus to the airport at 8:30- you won't get to the airport until at least 10AM for a transatlantic. Not much wiggle room and why be on pins and needles if you can stay a night in Rome.

I highly recomment the Hotel Imperiale on the Via Veneto (there are two similar named hotels- so make sure it is on the Via Veneto). It is about 230 Euros for a double ($ 300 American) but is well worth it. Lovely tree-lined street near the Spanish steps.

Have a great time on your trip.

Here's what happened last year on Galaxy.

We did indeed arrive at Civitavecchia at 4am. The overnight buffet turned itself magically into the breakfast buffet, and the first passengers were disembarking somewhere around 5am, so I think that very early flights were made. Disembarkation order was worked by on-boad staff: everyone filled in a form giving details of their onwards transportation schedule, and Celebrity subsequently issued everyone with a 'disembarkation time' (and instructions).

However: if the ship is delayed then you're in trouble. If your air arrangements are through Celebrity then they will sort out fresh transportation. But if you've made your own arrangements, then it will be up to you to make fresh ones, and bear the cost.

But I would certainly arrange either transfers through Celebrity, or private transportation to FCO. Using the train to Rome & then another train to FCO is perfectly do-able (we did it), but takes times and is a hassle.

You don't mention when you were in Europe before, but the last couple of years, travel in Europe has changed dramatically. As others have said, definitely book hotel rooms in advance, and I would either leave more time to catch the flight or stay the extra day and catch a flight the next morning. Flights going to the US (if that is where you're going) have alot more security that you go through than if you're going somewhere else in Europe. With handling the luggage, going through all the customs and checkpoints - I would leave ALOT of time..... Have a great time, we loved our Med cruise we took a few years ago....:D

I agree that Rome is very busy in June and, unless you are willing to settle for less than nice accomodations or to pay too much money for a room, I would pre-book.

I have some favorites hotels if I may recommend them without knowing your budget:

Albergo del Senato at Pantheon Square (book room with a view)

Grand Hotel de la Minerve at Piazza delle Minerva (BIG splurge but my favorite hotel in Rome)

Sofitel Roma near the Spanish Steps

I would arrange a private car service and not use X's transfers. Many companies offer this and you can book through your hotel or directly. I have used Bob's Limos for years and been happy.

I know your trip is a year away but one of my favorite things to do in Rome is a night tour of the city with a private driver. The city is magical after dark and even more beautiful.:) I have done this a half dozen times and have planned it again for this fall.

Enjoy planning your trip...it is great fun I know!

Hi Caviargirl!

Great hotel recommendations! You were kind enough to email me a while back with some VERY detailed info on Florence and surrounding areas for a land tour. I just wanted to let you know we did not make it over yet, but are booked on the Summit for 12 nts 11/15/08!

We are flying into Florence for 3 days pre cruise to see all that we can and will be staying at your favorite hotel---San Gallo! When the ship calls in Livorno, we will do a day tour of some other Tuscany areas!

We overnight in Rome and are planning on taking the train in, doing the Vatican and some other sites, getting a room, doing an evening tour, then the 2nd day hiring a driver for the remaining sites and back to the ship.

We will also do 2 or 3 days post cruise in Barcelona.

I so appreciated all your help, information & ideas, is there anything else you can recommend that I might not have thought about yet???? Must see/do's????:D

MBZ Girl, nice to hear you are finally making the trip and I am happy that my suggestions were helpful. I am in the midst of planning a two week trip to Italy for DH and I and three other couples, and it will be a first for most of them. I am having a great deal of fun planning and cannot wait for October. We are there for the harvest in Tuscany and have a private driver booked for two full days.

I hope you enjoy the San Gallo Palace. Have you pre-booked the Accademia and Uffizi? The staff there will take care of that for you and it is well worth the small effort to save waiting in line.

Across the Piazza della Liberta is a great place to eat, Trattoria Perseo (could be Perseus, it has been 18 months since my last visit) and you should reserve ahead of time.

I imagine I already recommended my favorite wine bars, Cantinetta Antinori and Beccofino. And the food markets are a great way to pass an hour or two and pick up some cheeses to enjoy with your wine in the garden area of the hotel.

Don't miss the views from Piazzale Michelangelo, especially when the sun is just beginning to set. And venture over to the Oltrarno and explore the side streets.

Since you will be in Rome during the warm weather, make time to have a drink at the rooftop bar at the Minerve. The views are amazing and it is just a very cool place:). I like to venture over to Trastevere for dinner but with one night would most likely head to Il Gabriello for dinner. The address is Via Vittoria 51.

As for Barcelona, I was only there for a day but the public market was amazing! I discovered it quite by accident but is not far off the main boulevard where the ships dock. It is full of food stands and a great place for lunch. I enjoyed a spinach frittata, some fresh octopus and glass of house red for about 10 Euro.

Have a great trip!

Thanks CG!

I just printed all that info too & we are hoping it will be warm the middle-end of November!!!!! I am expecting ALL types of weather and will be prepared!:D

Once I get through the TA this September, I can REALLY finalize the Med plans!!!! Keep the GREAT info & ideas coming!!!!:D

Dave, I've flown out of DaVinci four times, all during the summer months, and I have to say that outside of Mumbai, DaVinci is the worst of all when it comes to departures. You need to be at the airport three hours before your flight departs. Lines at the airport for check in are wayyyy long, and then there's the two security checkpoints and Immigration. IF you arrive at the port at the appointed time, and IF nothing goes wrong, your flight might be OK. I would not depend on Celebrity, or any cruise line, to get me to an airport outside the US. You could find yourself sitting on a bus for a long time until they decide it's full enough to leave for the airport. Get a private car for your transfer.

Keep them coming please!

Darcie and caviargal, you guys seem to have some of the more in depth info, so I'm starting to rethink things.

I guess I can fly into FCO one day before, then stay one day after, as opposed to two days before and returning back home when we disembark.

I talked to John, and we will also check out a few hotels.

Spengle, bruin Steve, and atomica....thanks for the info also!!! I guess the concensus is across the board.

Tom, ddonalds, and rebeccalouise....thanks for the great advice.

If you guys think of anything else .....please let me know

Because of the itinerary (if, indeed, you're doing the Galaxy RT out of Civitavecchia), I have no problem endorsing an 11:15A departure. While FCO is a pain of an airport, the ship indeed does arrive quite early with early shuttles departing to the airport. If you're using private transfers, through a well-established company like DriverInRome, I'd tell them my flight information and leave it up to them - their reputation depends on them knowing when they need to be where and not leaving you in the lurch.

Definitely recommend reserving a pre-cruise hotel. Many will allow you to cancel even the day of arrival before a certain time. For a bit more of a budget option which is consistent, try the Crowne Plaza St. Peters.

I am on the Galaxy this year -late summer. Do you know what time the first bus (offered by Celebrity) is from the port to the airport?

Have you ever used Stefano at Rome Cabs? Reliable?

Thanks

Dave, if it were me, I would opt for 2 days pre-cruise and the 11:15 am flight back.

I have flown in and/or out of FCO a dozen times. It is somewhat antiquated in terms of technology but I truly have never had a problem. I have also connected through there on my way to Florence and would take it every day over disastrous airports like CDG, which is far worse, IME.

Hire a car service to get you to FCO and you should be fine. To break up your visit to Rome into two less than full day segments is to shortchange the opportunity to enjoy the city.

JMO.

I actually called the Captains club last night and they said that the company recommends no departures before 10 am. So that 11:15 just might work for us. This way we could do the 2 day pre stay in Rome.

Vacation time is not really an issue except for the fact that we use all of our days, and plan them a year or so in advance. So we try to plan accordingly.

As for the hotels, we ususally skimp on those, but I think we'll shoot for more than a mattress this time.

Thanks!

As for the hotels, we ususally skimp on those, but I think we'll shoot for more than a mattress this time.

Thanks!

I understand skimping a bit on hotels so also suggest the following:

1) Use Priceline and bid 5 star luxury; you might just get lucky

2) Check out the Albergo Cesari for a perfectly central home very near the Pantheon at a good price, recently renovated

3) Consider Arco del Lauro in Trastevere, Via dell'Arco De Tolomei, 27, Rome 00153, Italie, new property, very cool and eclectic part of the Rome (the Chelsea/SoMa of Rome) and a great value

I have also found great deals at Capo D'Africa Hotel, an art deco hotel around the corner of the Colosseum. Expedia sometimes has great rates there and I lucked into a USD 145/nt rate there, albeit off season.

I would definitely choose the historic center over the Vatican area, simply because for a short trip you should be in the thick of things.

• 2 months later...

We will be doing the same Galaxy cruise in September and plan use a private car and driver to get us to fco. I know that the ship will want to know our plane information so that they can give us a disembarkation time but if we want our driver to pick us up at 8 for a flight that leaves at 12:45 will they let us off that early?

We will be doing the same Galaxy cruise in September and plan use a private car and driver to get us to fco. I know that the ship will want to know our plane information so that they can give us a disembarkation time but if we want our driver to pick us up at 8 for a flight that leaves at 12:45 will they let us off that early?

They debark the ship based on several things: Suite guests, Elite members, early flights booked through the cruise line.

If you are not one of these, you should not count on it.

We took the Galaxy last fall We did get to port about 4 am, best I recall. Had booked the Celebrity transfer, but at Cruise Critic meeting, got hooked up with some folks who had extra seats on their small bus. Saved a few bucks, got to the airport sooner.

Yes, the lines were long, but still would have had plenty of time if the flight hadn't been cancelled. Agent rebooked us on a flight which was "loading now"--and told us to go to the front of the lines. Flight was at the other end of the terminal. Arrived out of breath, found plane loading delayed (arrived late due to strike/slowdown at previous airport. Then delayed due to fog at transfer port (Frankfurt). Finally landed at Frankfurt as our plane departed the other end of the airport. Almost 3 hours in rebooking line, RON in Frankfurt. Every trip an adventure.

Anyhow, you shouldn't have any problem, assuming everything else falls into place.

Dave,

You weren't too specific...but, in trying to fill in from the info given, I take it you are on the Galaxy and sailing in and out of Rome?

First, that 4 am arrival...

I have never been on a ship with that early an arrival time, but I assume that since you are coming from another EU port, customs will not be an issue...If they were, I doubt they'd be getting anyone off the ship anywhere close to 4 am...But, I would try and check with Celebrity directly...If no customs clearance and they arrive that early, making an 11:15 am flight should be easy...Though, were it me, I'd leave later--even spend an extra "wind down" night in Rome...

As to travel times and methods port to airport, I couldn't tell you...I've flown in and out of Venice and Milan, but never Rome...

On the hotel thing, though...

I've been travelling to Europe for most of my life now...and, in times long ago, used to just show up and find a hotel--often using local tourist bureaus...BUT I do not do that anymore...Times have changed...20 or 30 years ago (heck, we even toured Europe that way 13 years ago), pre-internet, the only reservations easily made from here were the big, expensive, international chains...we could ignore those, just get to whatever town we were visiting, stop by the tourist bureau and get some really nice bargains on local hotels...

But, with the internet what it is now, every small to large hotel in Europe has a website...and a way of taking advance reservations...There are sites like TripAdvisor.com providing reviews and info on thousands of hotels...and sites like Travelocity and Venere and hotels.com and Yahoo.Travel and Expedia that will make reservations for you anywhere...

And, especially in summer months, better hotels tend to book up more thanks to everyone making advance internet reservations...And, often, I've found, you can get much better deals booking WAY in advance...I just make sure to only book CANCELABLE rates...You can always continue to monitor rates and if you find a better deal, just cancel...

It only makes sense to show up without reservations when you don't know your precise itinerary...If you KNOW you will be in Rome June 7 and 8, I would book something NOW...or at least in the next 2-3 months...

Now, my advice on getting to Rome a "day or two early" is to definitely try to get there AT LEAST TWO days early...maybe more...I have always found that after several hours in airports and on airplanes...and with a major multi-hour time zone change, we are usually wiped out for at least a day or two...Even if you've been to Rome, there's plenty to see (I've been there maybe a cumulative 30 days or so over the years and still find so many new things each visit)...and when you're falling asleep after lunch...because it's the middle of the night "your time", those first couple of days won't be all that productive...

As to hotels in Rome, I've got my favorite...It might be a bit pricey for some, but you didn't state your criteria...What I really like is the location--right at the Piazza Navona...very hard to top that:

http://www.raphaelhotelrome.com/eng.html

Good luck...

Thanks for your info, I just tried at Hotel Raphael and they are booked for 16 June -20 June, 2008. Wow that far in advance. It's a beautiful place, I remember seeing it in 2000 when I was in Rome.

I can highly recommend Hotel Parlemento near the Spanish steps. Most of the rooms are filled with antiques. Fromers states 2 star with 5 star service.

Another site to check is ITWG.com.

Archived