What's the difference?

If your cruise line specifies those two dress codes, they will have the difference posted in their FAQ.

To ask what it means to me (or anyone else here) is a recipe in chaos.

For the record, though, yes, I would find "smart casual" dressier, more a "country club casual" (to confuse you further) than just day-to-day casual.

If your cruise line specifies those two dress codes, they will have the difference posted in their FAQ.

To ask what it means to me (or anyone else here) is a recipe in chaos.

For the record, though, yes, I would find "smart casual" dressier, more a "country club casual" (to confuse you further) than just day-to-day casual.

Ok....well this is what it says on the Carnival site.

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I printed out a copy of the Capers and it has a couple nights as Casual, a couple nights as Smart Casual and 2 nights are Formal. The Carnival site doesn't say anything about Smart Casual.

Holland America used to have the level "informal" in between casual and formal (they just phased that out the past few months) and it sounds like that is what Carnival is going for. That meant jackets & slacks for men (but not ties) and something of that level for women.

I almost always wear a sundress to dinner over pants, so I could wear the same outfit for casual or smart casual or informal night (a dress).

Yes, smart casual is a bit dressier. This is how I pack for all nights of any cruise that are not formal personally.

I wear nice slacks or skirts with a pretty top and heels or a dress.

HAL has gone to only formal and smart casual which I suppose makes it easier for some but no different for me as that is about as casual as I get for dinner anyway.:)

Yes, smart casual is a bit dressier. This is how I pack for all nights of any cruise that are not formal personally.

I wear nice slacks or skirts with a pretty top and heels or a dress.

HAL has gone to only formal and smart casual which I suppose makes it easier for some but no different for me as that is about as casual as I get for dinner anyway.:)

Great.....thanks Caviargal. :) I think I will be ok with the clothes that I am bringing.

It's just strange that on the first night they have Smart Casual listed. Usually the first night is the most casual of nights right?

Some folks will not change for dinner on the first night though I do not understand it. After travelling, a hot shower and fresh clothes feel great and I would not go to dinner dressed down anyway.

Generally, the first and last nights will have more casually dressed people than the others, yes.

Some folks will not change for dinner on the first night though I do not understand it. After travelling, a hot shower and fresh clothes feel great and I would not go to dinner dressed down anyway.

Generally, the first and last nights will have more casually dressed people than the others, yes.

I plan on bringing a change of clothes with me in my carryon. Although I won't be traveling far to the ship because I live in NY and the ship leaves from NY. :D

Ok....well this is what it says on the Carnival site.

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I printed out a copy of the Capers and it has a couple nights as Casual, a couple nights as Smart Casual and 2 nights are Formal. The Carnival site doesn't say anything about Smart Casual.

I see jeans are not mentioned in the "not permitted" list for the Dining Room.

Some people may not "dress up" for the dining room on the first night if their luggage has not arrived in the room yet. They say there is no gaurantee it will be there in time. I'll wear something nice to board the ship (gotta get that boarding picture) but it will be casual. I have plans for more if our luggage gets there.

Gee all the labels keep us spinning! To me smart casual is what I would wear on a dress up Friday in a professional business area i.e. nice sweater set/tailored blouse with dress pants, flat shoes and possibly a blazer. Hubby pressed casual pants with casual shirt/polo shirt and a sports jacket and leather loafers.

Thank goodness never had to wait long for our luggage after boarding. We usually dress casually for travel , if it was to occur we'd probably just grab a bite to eat at the buffet that night.:)

Gee all the labels keep us spinning! To me smart casual is what I would wear on a dress up Friday in a professional business area i.e. nice sweater set/tailored blouse with dress pants, flat shoes and possibly a blazer. Hubby pressed casual pants with casual shirt/polo shirt and a sports jacket and leather loafers.

Thank goodness never had to wait long for our luggage after boarding. We usually dress casually for travel , if it was to occur we'd probably just grab a bite to eat at the buffet that night.:)

It's just strange that on the first night they list "smart casual". You would think that they would make it just casual. Oh well. I will be fine because I'm bringing plenty of lovely new clothes. :p:D

Same here....unless I am at the pool, or off the ship, I am dressed pretty darn sharp. I so enjoy dressing nicely...I really do.:o

Karen, I think of what you describe as business casual. That look does not work for me as I am an antithesis of preppy:) and rarely conservative.

For cruises, I consider smart casual to be what I would wear to a mid level restaurant. Dressier slacks, not khaki or cotton, a mid heel sandal or mule, nice top.

I think that it depends on personal style and that smart casual can be interpreted in different ways.

It's just strange that on the first night they list "smart casual". You would think that they would make it just casual. Oh well. I will be fine because I'm bringing plenty of lovely new clothes. :p:D

The first night willl be a mix of different looks. Most everyone will clean up and get out of their travel clothes. I make sure that my DH and I have nice clothes on when we board the ship (no jeans), because our luggage has been late a couple times. No one will be turned away on the first night. If people travel casual and thier change of clothes isn't there, big deal. What are you going to do..order room service the first day?

They just have "smart casual", not regular "casual" so that is why the first night is listed as such. Carnival only has smart casual and formal dress codes for the dining rooms.

They just have "smart casual", not regular "casual" so that is why the first night is listed as such. Carnival only has smart casual and formal dress codes for the dining rooms.

A couple of days ago I received copies of the Capers for all the 8 days and listed are "casual", "smart-casual" and "formal"....so obviously they changed to three different dress codes.

A couple of days ago I received copies of the Capers for all the 8 days and listed are "casual", "smart-casual" and "formal"....so obviously they changed to three different dress codes.

So sorry. The cruise we did in October, there were two dress codes. Maybe ask who ever you got the capers from the difference.

Can someone please tell me the difference between "casual" and "smart-casual"? Is "smart-casual" a bit dressier?

Thanks. :)

Depends on the line- smart casual on Princess is casual on RCI-where as smart casual on RCI is a step up from casual.

For anyone who does not believe me just go to their respective websites and read the defintions of "smart casual".

Before I took my cruise on Princess last fall it really confused me until another post here explained.

Archived