Marriage License

bkerber

Nobody cares who you share your cabin with...

But if your passport or other id has your maiden name, and your tix have your married name, you may be asked to produce other identification. In this case, the marriage certificate can be useful in establishing your name change, along with drivers license, passport, etc.

Btw, this is true for airlines too.

Tatka...

Quite often someone will post that their driver's license and birth certificate don't match. Well DUH!! After the age of 25, I'd say 80% of woman have that same issue. And often they are told by other posters to bring their marriage license.

The cruiselines want your CURRENT ID and your docs to match. So I would say the only people that bringing your marriage license would apply to, would be those that were very recently married.

Thank you for all the replies. The reason I was asking was I did call RCCL this afternoon and asked some goober and of course he gave me the stock answer (reading from a book) that of course I need to bring it. How else was I suppose to prove who I was.. He said if I didnt have it upon debarkation they could arrest me.. OMG. Anyway I just wanted to know what the masses had actually experienced. 2 years ago they didnt ask me either, but I thought things may have changed. Thanks again

Becky

Why would they want it after the cruise?

Because nowadays they are more concerned with who is coming into the country than who is leaving the US. After the cruise when going through customers, they want to be sure it's you.

However, I have never been asked for my marriage liscense and last time they even had the wrong birthdate on their records, I had printed the online documentation that showed the correct date (which matched my BC and DL) but my cruise documents showed a different month and no one blinked twice.

Just curious??? So what does a woman do when she has just married say the day before & she cruises the next day. I wasn't able to change my drivers license until I could produce the marriage certificate & the marriage certificate I didn't get until a couple weeks after I was married. How do you prove your new name???

rcclbound..if you are cruising the day after your wedding, I would book in your maiden name. All of your identification will still be in your maiden name and it takes several days to several weeks (depending on area) to get a copy of your marriage liscense that you need to get everything updated.

I JUST got off the phone with the Crown & Anchor people about a coupon for our cruise this weekend. Anyway, while we were waiting for a confirmation to come up on her computer, she asked if I knew I now needed to bring my marriage license along with my birth certificate (if I didn't have a passport). I told her I was unaware of this and had never had to before. She said they were just starting to require it because we were within so many days of the anniversary of 9-11 and they were tightening security.:eek:

My husband figured they couldn't enforce this rule YET, because not everyone has been informed of this new "requirement". I guess we will try to find it though.

Aqusis is correct - book your honeymoon trip in your maiden name. I was too old and too busy to change my name when I got married, so I've never had that problem. However, I DO carry my marriage license when travelling with our kids. Even though it is 2004, some places (abroad, not so much here in the US) do not totally trust you when travelling with kids that have a different last name on their passports than the mom has on her passport. I also carry a notarized letter from my hubby that says it's ok for me to take them out of the country.

I don't mind at all - when you hear about children being kidnapped, it doesn't bother me to take a few extra ounces of paper to help prevent that type of thing. Of course, since I am not bringing my own sheets, blankets, Lysol, etc I have room for my marriage license!

Archived