Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

I have have p/u at mco on April 19 --Budget 47.17

Avis 52.85

PC on April 26 --- Budget 51.37

Avis 48.68

We are definitely going to rent for the 1 day out of MCO to the Port but I think for the trip back to the airport we are going to suck it up and use DCL buses. I just think it will be easier with all our luggage to just take the bus vs. getting on the shuttle with everything and than dealing with the car rental dragging more luggage and than catching a 12:35 flight. I think I will have better peace of mind.

We are flying into Jacksonville, mid Feb. and doing Orlando area pre and post cruise, NEED a van for 6 of us. Budget is the only one that doesn't show a sold out page when I try and drop in downtown Miami pre cruise.? thus thats why we fly in there! ($144 for 2 days and no free shuttle to port, $15 by cab ) But when I try and do return trip, I have to rent VAN from Miami airport as vans are not kept in town?:confused: HOW much is cab from port of Miami to airport??, and what should I expect as a turn around time to get back to port with van to pick up others? To many questions? Thanks

We are flying into Jacksonville, mid Feb. and doing Orlando area pre and post cruise, NEED a van for 6 of us. Budget is the only one that doesn't show a sold out page when I try and drop in downtown Miami pre cruise.? thus thats why we fly in there! ($144 for 2 days and no free shuttle to port, $15 by cab ) But when I try and do return trip, I have to rent VAN from Miami airport as vans are not kept in town? HOW much is cab from port of Miami to airport??, and what should I expect as a turn around time to get back to port with van to pick up others? To many questions? Thanks

Colton's Dad, I am very confused by your plans. If you are flying into Jacksonville aren't you picking up a car(van) there? Why don't you drop at the airport location and use the free shuttle to the port? many companies have shuttles from the airport location to the port. Have done it many times with Thrifty. They shuttle everybody and all the luggage, no need to drop people off at the port first. They drop you off in front of your ship.

I have seen the Alamo bus too so I know they also provide this service.

Colton's Dad, I am very confused by your plans. If you are flying into Jacksonville aren't you picking up a car(van) there? Why don't you drop at the airport location and use the free shuttle to the port? many companies have shuttles from the airport location to the port. Have done it many times with Thrifty. They shuttle everybody and all the luggage, no need to drop people off at the port first. They drop you off in front of your ship.

I have seen the Alamo bus too so I know they also provide this service.

Ah , I can see another call to rental agency is needed, Thought I had the new guy? :rolleyes: He stated no free shuttles to port !!, (Budget that is) , so was trying to drop off at closest place in Miami to save cab fare back to port .

And yes, Jacksonville is where we arrive, tour Florida and go insane at Disney etc, then off to Miami. I did forgot about Alamo , I will check them out further. Thanks

Again, can anyone give any information on the new Avis code that is now being given out? The other one has been blacklisted and the new one gives me the same great rates as that one but the last thing I need is to find myself getting to the rental agency and having the code denied.

I have a great rate with Thrifty from MCO/PC so I might keep that one, as the thought of dragging my luggage across the road and up into the garage with my mom along isn't exactly what I'd hope to do. It's just as easy to pull it to the curb and wait for the shuttle to get us.

On the way back, I am torn between wanting an agency on site at MCO (we're staying overnight at the Hyatt MCO) or one off site. While it would be good to drop the car right at the airport and head to the hotel, I then have to do the bag drag from the garage into the airport (and that's coming up from the ground level). If I use off site, does anyone know where the shuttle drops you off (is it on the upper departures level)? If so, that's much easier for us as we then only have to pull the bags through the main concourse to the elevators of the hotel.

Again, can anyone give any information on the new Avis code that is now being given out? The other one has been blacklisted and the new one gives me the same great rates as that one but the last thing I need is to find myself getting to the rental agency and having the code denied.

I have a great rate with Thrifty from MCO/PC so I might keep that one, as the thought of dragging my luggage across the road and up into the garage with my mom along isn't exactly what I'd hope to do. It's just as easy to pull it to the curb and wait for the shuttle to get us.

On the way back, I am torn between wanting an agency on site at MCO (we're staying overnight at the Hyatt MCO) or one off site. While it would be good to drop the car right at the airport and head to the hotel, I then have to do the bag drag from the garage into the airport (and that's coming up from the ground level). If I use off site, does anyone know where the shuttle drops you off (is it on the upper departures level)? If so, that's much easier for us as we then only have to pull the bags through the main concourse to the elevators of the hotel.

Do you mind me asking what your rate was? I got 38.00 + tax=47.02 at Budget.

This code is good. I say take advantage of it.

Do you mind me asking what your rate was? I got 38.00 + tax=47.02 at Budget.

I booked the pre cruise with Thrifty. And compared to your rate, it's not that good, but please remember that we're renting for 1 night of the week going into Easter and it's for a minivan so the price is about $84 for the one day (3/15-3/16) and then on the way back, I'm booked with Budget and we're picking up another minivan on 3/23 and dropping off later that night (we're staying overnight at the Hyatt MCO before a very early flight home on Monday) and that is coming in at about $87. With the Avis code, the pre cruise price was $84 and the post cruise was $70, so very comparable either way, except Avis is on site and Thrifty is not.

Need to decide what to do, but I have some time. At least the ressies are made and the rates are locked in (at least as long as the code is good) and I can decide as we get closer if the Avis code is still valid.

Oh, and with the Thrifty, I didn't use any code (nothing dropped their price at all) and with Budget, I think I used a Costco code (I'm a member).

ETA: My original prices were up closer to $130 for the pre cruise and almost $100 for the post cruise so these prices are definitely an improvement.

Try these... pulled them from another site on the net where they have tips for saving money while in Florida... I haven't used/tried these codes, but have used others from this website with success in the past...

Save at Avis with AWD/discount code K199060, which comes from a major Florida tourism organization and can be used by anyone.

Save at Avis with AWD/discount code K492101, which comes from the Florida Vacation Guide, distributed by mail to tourists. Available to anyone.

Wal-Mart Customers (i.e. anyone) can get up to 20% off rentals at Avis. Use AWD/discount code B021615.

Another Wal-Mart code for Avis: Use AWD/discount code B021600. Source: Wal-Mart edition Rand-McNally Atlas.

Try these... pulled them from another site on the net where they have tips for saving money while in Florida... I haven't used/tried these codes, but have used others from this website with success in the past...

Save at Avis with AWD/discount code K199060, which comes from a major Florida tourism organization and can be used by anyone.

Save at Avis with AWD/discount code K492101, which comes from the Florida Vacation Guide, distributed by mail to tourists. Available to anyone.

Wal-Mart Customers (i.e. anyone) can get up to 20% off rentals at Avis. Use AWD/discount code B021615.

Another Wal-Mart code for Avis: Use AWD/discount code B021600. Source: Wal-Mart edition Rand-McNally Atlas.

Joe these are giving me a rate just as high or higher as any I've found with Avis. The earlier code you gave as being a replacement for the bad one really gives the best rate. I'm going to hold all of my reservations (r/t with Avis and 1 way each w/ Thrifty and Budget) and see what happens in the next couple of months. I'm not going until March so I can see if anyone reports any problems with the newer code.

Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Just used Avis code K199060 for a FLL airport rental in 3/08 and returning to MI61 for a cruise out of Port of Miami next day. Total cost for a mini van was only $69.73! Cheapest around for 6 of us cruising. No credit card required to hold, so if there is a coupon problem, we can go to our other choice at Thrifty for only a few buck more and no coupon.:)

Port of Miami

Hertz (0.8 Miles away, 1015 North America Way, Miami, FL 33132)

Avis (1.4 Miles away, 99 Se 2nd Street Miami, FL 33131, 5 minutes/$7 cab ride to port)

Typical cost: $45

Having said all these companies, I personally perfer Avis car rental - the premium business class car rental agency with reasonable price. From my experience, they are the best choice to rent. They usually have best airport location, shuttle to/from port and friendliest agents. There is no reason to kick off or finish your vacation with problems just to save $5. Since I am so into saving money, I have searched various different sites for discount codes. I have discovered Avis AWD C031529

I want to add a thank you. I'm saving 35.99 with this code for a mini van. Total April '08 rental for the van is $66 with taxes. :)

I always use Hertz and feel I get treated better. I just went on line and check rate and got a mini van in April 08 for a rate of 56.69 and even a lower rate of 48.59. Now if you know rental codes and I do, I got avis down to 36.89 under code A113400 and even lower at 33.00 under code A153700. So price wise I have found you can get it for just about as cheap as the no name brand. I have over 100 codes for Hertz,national,and avis. But I still use hertz 90 percent of the time

I always use Hertz and feel I get treated better. I just went on line and check rate and got a mini van in April 08 for a rate of 56.69 and even a lower rate of 48.59. Now if you know rental codes and I do, I got avis down to 36.89 under code A113400 and even lower at 33.00 under code A153700. So price wise I have found you can get it for just about as cheap as the no name brand. I have over 100 codes for Hertz,national,and avis. But I still use hertz 90 percent of the time

Betcat, it seems that you rent alot and know if the codes are good or not. I would prefer Avis since they are onsite at MCO and it would be easier so I'm going to try your 2 codes. Do they require any sort of ID or paper coupon? I just like to know in case there is a problem.

ETA: I tried each of the Avis codes you listed above and each was great. If I use A153700 I can do a minivan from port to airport when we return for $38.62 (which is $3 lower than the other code). Just to be sure...where are these codes from so I don't find myself with a big surprise when I get there to rent it.

Unfortunately, they are sold out for our arrival (3/15) from MCO to port so I'll have to use someone else.

Used A153700 for Minivan from FLL return Downtown Miami in March. 42.80 Total cost. When reservation confirmation came up listed as corporate code. Is this going to be a problem when I go and rent? Do I have to show them anything when I get to rental corner? Don't want to pay more when we get there. Thanks for help. Just trying to cover all bases.

Most of the rental agents just print up the rental agreement as it is in the computer. Just so you know the 3700 is a avis employee code. Yes I have used it and I am a Hertz employee. The thing is none of the car rental have a badge or something that shows you are a employee. I jsut say I am a car shuttler. That is what I do at hertz 1 day a week. I have even asked how do you know if someone is really a employee and they always say there is know way to fine out other then call the area you are from. The other code is for Florida state employee. So I can get away with it because I have a Florida DL. But if you want any other code I have AAA or Cosco or Walmart or Sams club a bunch of unknown. With National I have codes that waive the under age of 25 fee. My son uses them all the time. But I can say me and my family and friends have never been asked for any ID. Like I say the just pull up the way it is in the computer. Know watch the stuff fly on what a bad guy I am. Save it for someone else. We have people do it all the time at hertz and we don't even care as long as we get our cars rented

betcat - Thanks for the codes, If i sounded rude in my post i am sorry. I am just a person who worries about everything before i leave for vacation. You said you have codes for Hertz to. I prefer Hertz over Avis. Can you help me out. Thanks so much again for the codes for Avis. You have been a great help

Most of the rental agents just print up the rental agreement as it is in the computer. Just so you know the 3700 is a avis employee code. Yes I have used it and I am a Hertz employee. The thing is none of the car rental have a badge or something that shows you are a employee. I jsut say I am a car shuttler. That is what I do at hertz 1 day a week. I have even asked how do you know if someone is really a employee and they always say there is know way to fine out other then call the area you are from. The other code is for Florida state employee. So I can get away with it because I have a Florida DL. But if you want any other code I have AAA or Cosco or Walmart or Sams club a bunch of unknown. With National I have codes that waive the under age of 25 fee. My son uses them all the time. But I can say me and my family and friends have never been asked for any ID. Like I say the just pull up the way it is in the computer. Know watch the stuff fly on what a bad guy I am. Save it for someone else. We have people do it all the time at hertz and we don't even care as long as we get our cars rented

So Betcat, do you think I'll have any issues at all? I love the rate and it's easier to return the car to the MCO airport location when we return on Easter Sunday at 9:30 PM rather than going to Thrifty offsite and taking the shuttle with 2 kids and my mom. I'd be happy to take a look at your other codes to see if the rate is anywhere near this one but I have a feeling that the general codes won't bring it down that far. Any thoughts you have on this are greatly appreciated.

Wow I just tried Avis and used the A153700 code and for my 2 day and 16 hour mini van rental it said $128.41 total. Thats for April and picking up at FLL and returning to MIA before getting on our cruise. Does Avis shuttle over to the port when dropping off? Also Right now I already have a rental from Dollar for the same but it is $164.00 total. Hmmmmm i love the Avis price....but I am kinda like Poohbear and worry about getting there and them not letting us have that price?? Should I worry? LOL

P.S. I tried the Avis A113400 code and it was $137.60 total. It says corporate code also but it was said the 700 one was a employee code, is this one too?

Or should I try a different one or Hertz?

Thank You Thank You Thank You.

Every little savings helps......with the family of fours budget for 10 days.........:)

For those having trouble entering codes and getting an error message that code is invalid I was having trouble also until ...

I was copying and pasting and after several tries I noticed that after pasting there was a blank space after the code. If you hit the backspace key to eliminate the space, the code will then work. Or you coulc just type in the code rather than copy and paste.

First is friends of Hertz employees 1736927. Then there is a hertz family code that is 1652960 it is a better one. Then a hertz retiree code 0208890. And no again to having a problem. Just to make sure I always have a reservation in 2 names. Like J doe and John Doe. So I have a back up. You don't need a credit card hold for a car and I never give any more information then just the name. I also make a reservation at another car company. Why you might ask. Because(and this happen every other day at our location) we don't have enought cars to cover our reservation and tell people sorry but not everyone return there cars today and we don't have a car for you. BULL! We just rented everything out. The only one we saved was for our gold card holder. It use to be they would hold cars for everyone, but now they tell us to get everything off the lot. Its all about have the numbers to show we have rented everything. The manager get a big bonus then. So because I have seen this with all car rental company cover your butt and make another reservation smoewhere else. One other BIG, BIG THING!!!!!!!!!! If you are renting at ORLANDO when you come off the freeway and need to fill up your car. There is only 1 gas station off the ramp. It sit across from Thrifty and Hertz. They also have a Wendys there. DO NOT FILL UP THERE. He keeps his price per gallon up about 1.00 to 1.25 HIGHER the down the road. Keep driving about 1/2 mile to 3/4 of a mile past him. There are 2 more stations on each side of the road. Then make a u-turn and return to the airport. He has been charging and makeing bir profits on gas for a few years now. When I was last in Orlando (2 month ago) his price was 4.29 for regular and down the street I got it for 3.09.

Archived