Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

I have a reservation picking up at PC with Avis using the A153700 code and was concerned about this as well. So on advice from Shirley Nelson Brown, I called the local agency and spoke w/ the manager (a lovely woman, BTW). She checked her computer, pulled up my ressie and I gave her my code. Her response...yes, you're fine, the computer took it without any trouble, you'll be fine. Never asked if I was an employee, told me to make sure I had my ID, nothing. Just that the computer accepted it.

I happen to have a back up w/ Thrifty but was hoping to avoid the drop fee now in place. I have one w/ Thrifty out of MCO but don't have any other options, as I need a minivan and either no one has them available or the prices are very high. So I'll suffer the add'l cost and take Thrifty (even with the drop fee, it's still relatively reasonable) and we'll do Avis back. If there is a problem, I'll walk over to Thrifty and take theirs.

If anyone uses the code in the next couple of weeks, can you report back?

You won't have a problem with Avis - once you get there, speak to Patty, Monica, Jerermy or Bob and they will stand by their word - trust me they will.

always

Shirley

As I mentioned in another post not to long ago...I booked a convertible in California using the Hertz 1757580 CDP #. After reading some stuff on this thread I checked on my confirmation and realized it said to please have 3 forms of ID. :eek: Well, I got a little worried because that discount code is for Hertz retirees and maybe they wanted an ID. I called Hertz to question why 3 forms of ID's and the girl responded it was because we were renting a luxury convertible and when renting a luxury car 3 ID's are needed. We went over types of ID needed and no problem...everything is set. Pheww!! :p:)

As I mentioned in another post not to long ago...I booked a convertible in California using the Hertz 1757580 CDP #. After reading some stuff on this thread I checked on my confirmation and realized it said to please have 3 forms of ID. :eek: Well, I got a little worried because that discount code is for Hertz retirees and maybe they wanted an ID. I called Hertz to question why 3 forms of ID's and the girl responded it was because we were renting a luxury convertible and when renting a luxury car 3 ID's are needed. We went over types of ID needed and no problem...everything is set. Pheww!! :p:)

Anyone have experience renting a car from Port of Miami to FLL? Any prices, codes, rental car companies to suggest?

How did you get from Port of Miami to car rental place? Do they shuttle? Do you have to take a cab? How much?

Thanks for this great thread!

Have you even bothered to read just the last month's posts on this thread? It is clearly stated and absolutely true that Alamo, Thrifty and Dollar have shuttle buses from POM to their rental locations at MIA at no charge. I just rented from Thrifty last week and had no problem with the shuttle. There is a designated area at the POM terminal to stand, and the buses stop there. I overheard a pier employee telling someone that you have to call Hertz for a pick-up and in a few minutes I saw a Hertz van pull up. There is no drop fee at FLL.

Just be sure to show your renting location as POM so they know they have a customer there to be picked up.

Read back a little more and you will find some codes that are supposed to be good, and discussion about them. The Avis code seems too good to be true; but sounds like it is OK. I got a great rate for my one day last week using that Avis code, but opted for Thrifty because it was just a couple of bucks more and I knew there would not be the possibility of a problem.

You won't have a problem with Avis - once you get there, speak to Patty, Monica, Jerermy or Bob and they will stand by their word - trust me they will.

always

Shirley

Shirley,

Do you have an email address for the avis folks in Cape Canaveral. I tried the one listed on the website and it doesn't work. Its easier for me to e-mail at this point than call.

Thanks

Greg

I posted this on another thread today.

Now let me tell you a little story from the wee hours of today. I will be in Fort Lauderdale next week for 5 days. I always rent a car, but found the prices this year much higher. Ridiculously higher, but Easter is early and I didn't reserve as far in advance as I should have. But using all my travel skills, I was holding a reservation for an acceptable cost of about $200 for the 5 days. Even Hotwire was showing prices of $60/day. I have always found that Priceline works best when you are close to your dates of travel. So last evening I got an e-mail from Priceline offering $4/day bonus cash for a car rental. In other words my bid would show as $4 higher than what I was offering, so I figured lets give it a try.

If you are familiar with Priceline they tell you what the average prices are when you make a bid, and with cars they tell you the price at which you have a good chance of being successful. So I bid $20/day for a full size car ($24 with bonus) and the system actually laughed at this and said I had a good chance at $84/day and a great one at $88. It's at this point that they hope you will raise your bid. Since the whole point for me is to achieve a significant savings over what I already had reserved, I put the bid in at the $20. The image on my screen said working working working and finally kicked over to where I surely thought I would see the fateful word SORRY. But noooooo, instead it said CONGRATULATIONS, National (my favorite rental company) had accepted my bid. Total with all taxes and fees was $138.

So patience my friends, patience.

Shirley,

Do you have an email address for the avis folks in Cape Canaveral. I tried the one listed on the website and it doesn't work. Its easier for me to e-mail at this point than call.

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

I am sorry to say that their email address has not worked in a long time.

I am at home at this time, but I can give you their local and fax number tomorrow if you are interested - You will be speaking with Monica, Patty or Jeremy and they will help you to the best interest for your needs.

Always

Shirley

Now let me tell you a little story from the wee hours of today. I will be in Fort Lauderdale next week for 5 days. I always rent a car, but found the prices this year much higher. Ridiculously higher, but Easter is early and I didn't reserve as far in advance as I should have. But using all my travel skills, I was holding a reservation for an acceptable cost of about $200 for the 5 days. Even Hotwire was showing prices of $60/day. I have always found that Priceline works best when you are close to your dates of travel. So last evening I got an e-mail from Priceline offering $4/day bonus cash for a car rental. In other words my bid would show as $4 higher than what I was offering, so I figured lets give it a try.

If you are familiar with Priceline they tell you what the average prices are when you make a bid, and with cars they tell you the price at which you have a good chance of being successful. So I bid $20/day for a full size car ($24 with bonus) and the system actually laughed at this and said I had a good chance at $84/day and a great one at $88. It's at this point that they hope you will raise your bid. Since the whole point for me is to achieve a significant savings over what I already had reserved, I put the bid in at the $20. The image on my screen said working working working and finally kicked over to where I surely thought I would see the fateful word SORRY. But noooooo, instead it said CONGRATULATIONS, National (my favorite rental company) had accepted my bid. Total with all taxes and fees was $138.

Great post. I may try again. The last time I started to bid on priceline I got what you are describing. It scared me off & I didn't continue. I'll have to try it again.

Greg,

I am sorry to say that their email address has not worked in a long time.

I am at home at this time, but I can give you their local and fax number tomorrow if you are interested - You will be speaking with Monica, Patty or Jeremy and they will help you to the best interest for your needs.

Always

Shirley

Shirley,

That would be great, I will make time to give them a call. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Greg

Signman or anyone else they may know the answer to this. I tried to name my own price on priceline, however I need to pick up in Miami & drop off in FLL. It's not giving me the option to put in a drop off location. I didn't follow the price on through because I was afraid it would be pick up & drop off in Miami. Does anyone know if it will give me the option to drop off later in the pricing?

Shirley,

That would be great, I will make time to give them a call. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Greg

HelloGreg

you can call them at 321-783-3643 and fax number is 321-783-3654 and make sure to give this board credit for the information I gave you.

Always

Shirley

PS if you have anymore questions, just let me know

This will be our 1st time at MIA. We will be driving from Orlando and return the car rental to Hertz, Dollars or National ( Not decide which one to use). Does any one know do they provide drop off to Port of Miami after we return the car? tks for the info.

Just wanted to let you all know that I was able to get a full size car from Dollar for 50.30 at the Fort Lauderdale Airport location on Saturday 3/1, and returning to the Miami airport location on Sunday 3/16. For our return with pickup at Miami Cruise Port it is 49.18. I used the BJs code which is Bj3013.

This is the best I have seen.

I'd like to rent a car from west palm for a cruise out of Mia. I like to use either hertz or national. I'd prefer national since I need 2 cars (9 of us going) and both my wife and I have emerald isle numbers. Does national have a close drop-off (and pickup for after cruise) location? and do they run a schuttle to the port?

Thanks

Charlie

OK I need to really bring each and all up to speed if you are returning a car back in here at Cape Canaveral.

I did some checking today and if you do NOT fill your gas tank before turning it in, you will be charged $6.999 a gal so save yourself a little bit of monies by stopping at one of the gas stations before you turn it back in.

Just food for though

always

Shirley

First off, I would like to ask if the same is true this year for car rentals in Florida that there is no drop-off charge for one way rentals (major companies).

My wife and I will be taking a repositioning cruise from Seattle to Miami (NCL Pearl) and then, instead of heading straight home, we want to go to Orlando for a few days (EPCOT, etc) and fly out of there. If possible, we would rather not mess with MIA, but if the better deals are at the rental agencies only at the airport, will suck it up and take the shuttle (at least we won't have to mess with TSA inside the airport).

Any ideas?

We had a reservation using this code which gave a fantastic rate as it is the Avis employee rate code as I understand it. We went to pick up the vehicle on Saturday and we were questioned how we got the code and if we had the necessary documentation to use the code. As we didn't, I quickly got out my backup reservation using the Florida Visitor Bureau code that I had found. I still got a very good rate and it was a lot cheaper than their current daily rate. Just be careful using code A153700 and have a back up plan just in case they ask for proof like they did with us.

First off, I would like to ask if the same is true this year for car rentals in Florida that there is no drop-off charge for one way rentals (major companies).

I thought this was true too, but I he tried to make a reservation today picking up after my cruise in Miami and dropping off at PBI. While Avis didn't charge (don't think Hertz did either), Dollar and Thrifty did. Aren't Dollar and Thrifty major companies? Of course Avis had a better rate using one of the codes I found, not sure it'll be easier since they don't have a shuttle service. Info would be helpful...thanks.

Archived