Guide To Florida Car Rental (Transfer To Port)

Acrossenger

Here's a tip for rentals from FLL to MIA or MIA to FLL. When you top off the fuel tank before returning the car get a receipt. Show the receipt to the agent checking you in so that you don't get socked with a fuel charge. You should do this wherever you rent but particularly at MIA & FLL.

Betcat, thanks for the info. I checked w/ Hertz and it doesn't appear they have any minivans at all available for my date.

I also checked Avis again and my arrival date has no minivans so I'll keep checking but as of now, it looks like I'll keep my Thrifty rental from MCO to the Port and then use Avis from the Port back to MCO. Together, the total for both rentals won't exceed $100 which is great, considering prior to this my one way rental was almost $100.

Appreciate your insight.

Make a reservation for a car smaller then you want(not that you need) If you need a minivan, make it a minivan. If you want a full size, but can get away with a midsize, make it for a midsize. The counter person get a cutback for upgrades and extra. Then don't ask how much for a upgrade, offer them something for a upgrade. Like 10.00$ dollars. I have got a Hummer for 12.00 more then a full size. We gave a guy a corvette go last week for 36.00$ dollars a day. It never hurts to ask. If we have a car sit for more then 5 days we mark it rent first. And alot of good deals go that way. It could have been return on a friday and needed a oil change. We mark it P.M. due. There is no one on a weekend to do them. They don't do them in the order they come in. It could of sat there Monday and done Tuesday and then taken up Tuesday. Then Wed. morning we check what has been sitting and up comes the Hummer. We mark it Rent First and then we have to get it off the lot or Corp. send us a e-mail wanting to know why it is sitting(broke down, damage, or even if it has been stolen off the lot) That is why we have to rent it out for what we can. The manager doesn't want many of cars sitting because it will hurt his bonus. So ask if you see something you want. Even if you see it as you are walking to your car. Go back and ask. Also check rates on Thursday night. That is when they do alot of rate change for the upcomming weekend. Then know what they have too much of and make deals on them and you will know if you can too when you get there.

Make a reservation for a car smaller then you want(not that you need) If you need a minivan, make it a minivan.

Betcat, that's our situation. We are five people (3 adults, 2 kids) and we will have luggage for week on the cruise, plus night before boarding and night after disembarking. I don't see how we can fit all of us and our luggage into anything other than a minivan. I'll keep checking, as you never know when people will cancel and cars will re-enter inventory for that date.

You need no type of ID to show that you are the a 3rd cousin of my wife's neice on her fathers side, to be part of my family. No other paper work to show you that you are really a friend of mine. The counter people just want your DL and CC. We don't even ask to see your AAA card if you use that discount. We just give it to you like it is in the computer. We cannot change rates. Any more we cannot make up rates. We do have a walkup rate, but we have to use what rate the computers said Hertz gave you. We also have alot of rates for like a Grad. from Penn state, but don't ask to see your Bachelors degree. But I must say I can't speak for everyone. There might be someone out there that would, but I haven't seen them yet. Nothing is set in stone. Even as a employee I have nothing other then a old paycheck stub to show. I have a employee number, but in 3 years at hertz I can't remember it because I never needed it

I am flying into MIA and leaving out of FLL. Anybody know which company will accept a car from MIA in FLL, and then get me to the Port Everglades ??? What are the best discount codes out there for just 1 day ?? Are there any ???:confused:

I am getting a car from Avis at FLL airport and returning the next day at Miami, does anyone know if I have to return it to the airport in Miami or can I return it to the other location close to the pier.

Thanks

sailorwife

You can drop it off at the downtown location 5 minutes from the port. Just advise the Avis personnel when you pick up the car.

Forgive me if this has already been asked -- I didnt see Alamo on the original/first post.

I noticed ALAMO has a port of Miami pickup/dropoff location listed. Do they offer a shuttle once you get off the ship to their offices?

You need no type of ID to show that you are the a 3rd cousin of my wife's neice on her fathers side, to be part of my family. No other paper work to show you that you are really a friend of mine.

Betcat:

How about hertz retiree code 0208890? Do I need ID of any sort? This offered the best rate for one of my rental. Do you have even more powerful CDP? Thanks in advance.

First of all...thanks for all your helpful info...very much appreciated! Question regarding making bookings at 2 different car rentals places. what happens if you fail to cancel the one you are not using? Because I have an account with Alamo, they have my credit card number...will I get charged if I do not pick up and fail to cancel? :eek: Thanks~

Re: Alamo, if you don't pick up, still call them to cancel and you should be OK. This just happened to me in Mexico. Got a ride and didn't need the rental. As I left customs in Mexico, just stopped by the Alamo desk and told them I was cancelling. No problem.

Avis code A153700

I just used this to get a minivan for $34 +tax one day each way for MCO & Port Canaveral.

This code is ok to use still, correct?

I just used this code to book a minivan as well from MCO to Port Canaveral. I got it for half of what it was without any codes or even with some of the many codes listed on this thread. I want to make sure I can use it too. It's an employee code, and I don't want to get stuck paying full price if they find out I'm not an employee.

I'm trying to book a rental to pick up at Orlando airport on 2/22 and drop off on 23rd prior to our cruise. All the companies are $100 or more for a mid size car! No problem with our return on 3/1 prices are around $30 - 40/day. Anyone know what's going on? Thank you.

I'm trying to book a rental to pick up at Orlando airport on 2/22 and drop off on 23rd prior to our cruise. All the companies are $100 or more for a mid size car! No problem with our return on 3/1 prices are around $30 - 40/day. Anyone know what's going on? Thank you.

I'm guessing it is because of the President's Day holiday. That is an extremely busy week at Disney and Uniersal and many people will probably be renting cars, so they can charge that much with the higher demand.

-Jeremy

We will be arriving in Tampa one day before cruise and getting a rental car from airport. Our intent is drop it off at/near cruise terminal. Does anyone know which rental companies have locations at the cruise terminal? Or near it with a shuttle?

Side note: From what I can see, it looks like some of the rental agencies show their nearest location as being at the airport. Hertz says it has a location at the pier but when I try to book a one way rental with dropoff there it says cars can't be dropped off there. Is it possible that agencies are shuttling people to/from the airport to get cars? Or, does this mean there really is no option for driving yourself to the pier with a rental?

We will be arriving in Tampa one day before cruise and getting a rental car from airport. Our intent is drop it off at/near cruise terminal. Does anyone know which rental companies have locations at the cruise terminal? Or near it with a shuttle?

Side note: From what I can see, it looks like some of the rental agencies show their nearest location as being at the airport. Hertz says it has a location at the pier but when I try to book a one way rental with dropoff there it says cars can't be dropped off there. Is it possible that agencies are shuttling people to/from the airport to get cars? Or, does this mean there really is no option for driving yourself to the pier with a rental?

I'm not sure which port you're going out of, but at PC, Budget, Thrifty, Avis and Hertz have port locations (not airport) so each can shuttle you. Since you said that Hertz is the problem, I'm thinking you're going out of FLL and I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

I'm not sure which port you're going out of, but at PC, Budget, Thrifty, Avis and Hertz have port locations (not airport) so each can shuttle you. Since you said that Hertz is the problem, I'm thinking you're going out of FLL and I'm sure someone else knows for sure.

Hmmm...just curious. Does Hertz have a location at the pier by Port Everglades (FLL)? I thought they were all at the airport? :confused:

I'm going out of Port of Tampa.

We are arriving in FLL on Saturday 3/8/08 and need a 1 day rental before leaving on our cruise out of Port Everglades. Does anyone know how often Avis, or Hertz shuttle customers to the port on Sunday's? We are meeting family at the port at 11:30 AM. Would it be better to return the car Saturday night, since our hotel provides free shuttle to the port starting at 11:00 AM? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Archived