Parking Vs Limo Crown In Brooklyn????

DEBL423

Sailing out on July 5th, any comments on parking vs limo ride ???? We are not sure after disembarking if its easier to have our own car or try to weave our way through the crowd and find "our" limo. Would appreciate any feedback from past passengers.!!!

Well, just wanted to say that I am going to be on the same cruise with you and my husband and I plus another couple were going through that exact same debate!!!

I have done three previous cruises, one of which we drove to the port, the other two we took a limo.

For NY, we ultimately decided to get a limo for athree reasons-

1) We don't know NYC at all and even though everyone on this site states that the port is easy to get to and cheap to stay at, I can just picture my husband and I getting in a mini arguement the morning of the cruise, and really, do I want to start off my cruise that way? (FYI- I am an awful backseat driver)

2) Even though it is the more expensive option, it is just really nice to have someone drive you there, have a glass of champagne or two before you board in the limo and help you unload your bags. For a brief moment I feel richer then I really am. :)

3) After the dissapointment of the cruise being over, I am happy knowing that I have one little luxury left before I get dropped off at my house.

Can't wait for our cruise! 36 days to go!

We drove last September and it was very easy. Upon arrival we dropped our bags off at the door which was approximately midship. We then drove to the lot located by the bow of the ship. It was a very short walk back to board. When we left we had a porter help with the luggage. He loaded into the car and we drove right off. It took less than 15 minutes...

Sailing out on July 5th, any comments on parking vs limo ride ???? We are not sure after disembarking if its easier to have our own car or try to weave our way through the crowd and find "our" limo. Would appreciate any feedback from past passengers.!!!

The car services work well for dropoff (around $45 from LaGuardia). We arranged with the driver to pick us up after the cruise and called him when our color was called. Only problem is that only certain town cars are allowed in the central pickup area - mob-boss type controlling things there. But it really wasn't a problem to have our driver find a spot near the end of the pickup area. We just made contact on the cell phone as he was pulling into the port and talked each other to a central location.

Hey CruiseKitty - Can I ask what company you chose? I was also wondering about how you scheduled a time for pick-up. We are a party of four going on the Crown and need a limo to Newark airport.

Thanks for the info...

Still up in the Air for us four here.

Parking does look safe and even on here no discouraging words portend bad things.

Cost is also always a factoring.

Right now it looks as if the cost of driving is below a limo, car service and/or taxi from here.

We are about 33 miles driving there. The cost Jumps up a lot going to RedHook in Borough of Brooklyn instead on Manhattan Island all in the same NYC too.. I am astounded for what everyone wants for about 9 more miles to drive us in there... its about 45 % :mad: more.... *YIKES*

Yes I do shop for price.

This is one of the best piers to park at. The parking is literally right next to the ship, it is secure (the gates are supposedly kept locked when no ship is in port) and the price is comparable to taking a limo.

I saw some very big lines for those disembarking the ship trying to get cabs or finding their car service. The pick up area is not that large and trying to find your limo isn't that easy.

We are going to do a Princess cruise out of Brooklyn within the next two years and we will absolutely drive and park.

Hi All, We live in Northern NJ about 14 miles to the George Washington Bridge.I drove to the pier a few weeks ago and it is easy.The area is a little funky, but it was easy.There are blue terminal signs everywhere.You can go either the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel or the Brooklyn Bridge.A car service from our house wanted $118 plus tolls and tip.That would work out to about $140 each way.The cost to park is$164 and about 20 for tolls and gas.No decision for me.Don't be afraid to drive.Like I said we made a test run and it is easy.

Take Care

Rob

My DH and I are having trouble deciding whether to drive or take a limo too. We are also sailing on July 5. If we drive, we believe that we will be able to make a quick exit. On the flip side, if we take a limo we will not have to "load" the car when we drive to the port, "unload" when we arrive at the port, and when we leave we won't have to touch our luggage again until it is in our home. :confused:

My DH and I are having trouble deciding whether to drive or take a limo too. We are also sailing on July 5. If we drive, we believe that we will be able to make a quick exit. On the flip side, if we take a limo we will not have to "load" the car when we drive to the port, "unload" when we arrive at the port, and when we leave we won't have to touch our luggage again until it is in our home. :confused:

The luggage you load and unload will be the same if you take your own car or a limo. The limo driver won't drag it to the porter for you. And the cars are parked so close to the ship, it won't take you but a minute longer to walk from your car to the porters vs. where the limo can drop you to the porter.

Hey CruiseKitty - Can I ask what company you chose? I was also wondering about how you scheduled a time for pick-up. We are a party of four going on the Crown and need a limo to Newark airport.

Thanks for the info...

Well, we chose a company called Mystic Limo, but I am a new englander so I will be coming the opposite way from you. If you google limos, there will be a couple of websites that will search for available limo services for you. Hope that helps!

The luggage you load and unload will be the same if you take your own car or a limo. The limo driver won't drag it to the porter for you. And the cars are parked so close to the ship, it won't take you but a minute longer to walk from your car to the porters vs. where the limo can drop you to the porter.

Willysgrandma, thank you. We have not cruised from this port. We will be heading out from "The Island" in our car.

My parents had a black car pick them up and we had our car parked. It cost $160 for the week which was fine but we were out of there and already in the Holland Tunnel before my parents were even in their black car. The wait to get off the ship to FIND their car service was at least 25 min. The crowds were tough. Also the option to walk off the ship with your own luggage vs. Princess carrying it off for you the morning of (Luggage in the hallway by midnight) I think delayed everything. Therefore, caused a back up in the lot at disembarkation.

I would for sure park again! It was simple and easy!! Not to mention safe!!!!!!

Just got off crown today.. parking lot is really easy!! cost me $164 for parking expensive but a lot less than a driver would cost from upstate where we live.. dropped off bags curb side at embarkation and porter took bags out to car for us (as a favor and for a big $$) put bags in and off we went at debarkation... if I can do it..you can believe me.. I HATE driving in the city and had no probs even dropped off brother at LGA took about half hour due to constuction and off we went...

Willysgrandma, thank you. We have not cruised from this port. We will be heading out from "The Island" in our car.

Ah, another Lawnguylander!

Trust me on this one - this is the most convenient parking of any cruise terminal I've ever been in. You are nearly parked right at the ship.

The only drawback is the pot holes in the roads leading to the terminal, but once you are inside the parking gates, it's a breeze. Just don't drive too fast once you get off the BQE, LOL.

The only drawback is the pot holes in the roads leading to the terminal, but once you are inside the parking gates, it's a breeze. Just don't drive too fast once you get off the BQE, LOL.

If we can survive the construction projects on the BQE :eek:, we'll be able to deal with the pot holes in the streets (I hope).

We are going on the Crown out of Brooklyn in July and want to drive and park since it sounds so easy and the best way to go, just want to know if you drop your bags at the pier first or park your car first and will a porter be available to take your bags after you park. I usually pack to much and have three suitcases and two carry ons and bring my own soda since they don't have Pepsi an the ship. WE CAN'T WAIT TO GO!!!

Trust me on this one - this is the most convenient parking of any cruise terminal I've ever been in. You are nearly parked right at the ship.

There is a way without potholes. Get off at the Atlantic Avenue exit(going south on the BQE)- not the Hamilton Avenue exit- make a left and then an immediate left and the first right follow the BQE until you see the Gulf station on the right and make a right thereafter. This will avoid the construction on either Columbia or Van Brunt....no pot holes....the problem is they are replacing the water lines in the area. You can't avoid the BQE construction however unless you go into Manhattan and up the FDR.

• 2 weeks later...

We will have to use some form of transportation to get us from the port to Newark airport for our flight back to Scotland. Any suggestions for good car service or any method of transport?

We will have to use some form of transportation to get us from the port to Newark airport for our flight back to Scotland. Any suggestions for good car service or any method of transport?

Use one of the local car services or Carmel(which has a website and some coupons) A NY taxi will charge the meter plus $15.00 plus round trip tolls($6.00) and will be close to $80.00. Arecibo will charge $50.00 or less. 7187836465.

Archived