Yokohama port to train terminal for Tokyo

amusea

Very confusing especially dragging luggage. :(

If you are travelling heavy:

Taxi from Peninsula Hotel to Tokyo Eki. 10 minutes and around 1,000 Yen.

JR from Tokyo Eki to Shin Yokohama Eki or Yokohama Eki. 60 to 90 minutes. Prices vary.

Taxi from Shin-Yokohama Eki or Yokohama Eki to Osanbashi Cruise Terminal. 10 to 15 minutes; 1,000 to 1,500 Yen.

After the cruise:

Taxi from Osanbashi Terminal to Shin-Yokohama Eki; 10-15 minutes; 1,000 to 1,500 Yen.

Shinkansen from Shin-Yokohama Eki to Kyoto. 2 hours. Check out the Japan Rail Pass for great deals. I recommend Green Car tickets.

After Kyoto:

Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo Eki; 2 hours. Transfer to Narita Express (runs every 30 minutes or so.) If you have a Japan Rail Pass, there is no charge for Narita Express. Tokyo Eki to Narita takes exactly one hour.

Thank you BruceMuzz :D

One more question: should we get a JR Pass when we get to NRT? Will this help us take the NEX to Tokyo Station so we can get to the Peninsula Hotel?

What is the JR Pass used for? Seems to be for long journeys or is it also to more around in Tokyo?

Thank you BruceMuzz :D

One more question: should we get a JR Pass when we get to NRT? Will this help us take the NEX to Tokyo Station so we can get to the Peninsula Hotel?

What is the JR Pass used for? Seems to be for long journeys or is it also to more around in Tokyo?

I am debating the same thing. It is certainly very useable in Tokyo and other cities (including ferries, etc.). JR appears to be the largest network of rail, by far. This obviously depends on where you are going, your sightseeing style. The circular Yamanote Line is a JR line, and puts you close to most of the sights.

But note that the pass must be purchased in the US before arrival. You actually get a voucher, then show the voucher & your passport at the first station to get the pass (which will be the airport travel ofc.)

Here's the government link: http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

If you google JR pass, there will be better websites which explain the process, and sell them, too. I've been pricing bullet train fares, and I know the local Tokyo fares (in general). Perhaps someone can illuminate if the Nozomi (which isn't covered by JR Pass) from Kobe to Kyoto is truly something like 3,400 yen. Seems too reasonable - perhaps I didn't read info from Hyperdia properly...

The Narita Express, though covered by JR Pass, is running a special on their trains at almost half price. I couldn't find information on how long this promotion is running: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

Just came back from Japan/cruise last week. We spent a week in Japan prior to the cruise. I don't think anyone should buy the JR Pass if you're not traveling far. The JRPass does not cover NEX.

You are correct about the distance thing.

For local travel it is not worth it.

But a one way passage from Tokyo to Kyoto on Shinkansen is the same price as one week of unlimited travel on all JR trains (except Nozomi Shinkansen) and ferries in Japan with the JR Pass.

I bought a JR Pass last month and used it on Narita Express twice; once from the airport and once back.

Edited by BruceMuzz

But a one way passage from Tokyo to Kyoto on Shinkansen is the same price as one week of unlimited travel on all JR trains (except Nozomi Shinkansen) and ferries in Japan with the JR Pass.

I bought a JR Pass last month and used it on Narita Express twice; once from the airport and once back.

Speaking from my own experience, we bought the JR Pass only because we were traveling to Kyoto and back (a week in Japan) before the ship set sail for Vancouver from Yokohama.

The reason we bought it was that it did at the end saved us a bit of money but not much. It covers the Narita Express as we all agreed on, as well as my round trip (to and from Kyoto) which would have cost between 150 - 200 I believe, on the bullet train depending on which train you take. JR Pass will not allow you to be on NOZOMI, but that's fine, there's a train almost every 1/2 hour on the other train, and just a tad slower. No biggie.

By the way, we bought a week pass for about 320 (all numbers in USD).

The train does cover the Yamonote (sp?) line, which is a circular line around Tokyo, which is sufficient if you don't mind a little walking to your visiting point. We stayed a little away from the circular line, so we took a local train, about a couple bucks to the Yamanote. Japanese trains work like clockwork, everything is right on time, well, unless there's an earthquake or they hit an animal, both of which did happened when we were there, but delay is minimal. So we stayed in Tokyo a few days, and then to Kyoto, and then back to Yokohama. When going to Yokohama, the JR Pass covers most of the journey to Yokohama station, but the cruise port is near the closest station, NihonOdori which is walking distance, say, 5 mins walk. To get there, we transfered to another train, which doesn't take JRPass to Shin Yokohama and finally yet another train to NihonOdori. It;s all signed, very easy to navigate, ask any JR rail person, they;re all over the place in the station, lots of people you can ask. Anyway, good luck.. not really sure who I'm answering the thread, I believe it's my own thread! lol

p.s. the JR Pass is mostly useless in Kyoto unless you visit the FushimiInari shrine or the bamboo forest area (which is also accessible easily through the tram)

Edited by FeelingCruisy

BruceMuzz: I am confused about the pricing. If you could confirm the following, it would completely help my planning.

I know I have to get to Shin-Kobe from Sannomiya Eki (which is closer to the port). Then if I were to take the 13:06 Nozomi 128 to Kyoto (28 minutes), then the TOTAL price is -

Take time: 28 Minutes Transfer: 0 Times Distance: 75.9 km

Total:¥ 3,650(Fare:¥ 1,080 Seat Fee:¥ 2,570)

3,600 yen, which is +/- $35.00US????? I know it's just 1/2 hr. and the train will not get to high speeds due to this particular route, but is it really $35 to ride the Nozomi?

Would you suggest buying in advance and reserving seats? I'm thinking of going to the JR office in Shinjuku station and booking reserved seats - maybe the route is particularly crowded, or will be so on port day?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• 2 months later...
No need to change trains in Tokyo: the Narita Express goes to Yokohama. Usually the train splits and one half goes to Tokyo/Shinjuku and the other to Yokohama but you don't need to worry about that complexity because you have to have a seat reservation and that will put you in the right part of the train.

Just go the the JR ticket office at Narita Airport and buy the one way ("katamichi" in Japanese) N'EX+Suica deal: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/suica_nex.html to Yokohama. This costs less than just buying the ticket and includes a Suica card preloaded with 1,500Y that you can use on any of the local trains and subways around Yokohama and Tokyo. 1,500 Y will get to Tokyo and back a couple of times....

Note that the N'EX+Suica deal has been discontinued. In its place, there's a cheap (1,500Y) ticket on the N'EX from Narita to Tokyo or Yokohama (but not vice versa): http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_nex.html

This seems to be due to new competition from very cheap (1,000Y) buses.

• 1 year later...

Speaking about Yokohama: is there anything that worth to spend time for ? Our cruise starts with overnight stay in Yokohama port, so second day we may spend in Yokohama only (as we'll have 4 days pre-cruise stay in Tokyo). Cruise ship offers 2.5 hour excursion "Sankeien Garden and

Yokohama City Drive Tour", so not sure if this has to be taken. If not - what to do else in Yokohama ? Thanks to whoever will reply on this

• 6 months later...
Hi. I am a Yokohama native, so I am happy to help you. Probably the easiest and most economical way is to walk from the pier to the "Nihon Odori" Station of the Minato Mirai Line, which is about a seven-minute walk from the pier. The path to the station is very clearly marked, but if you ever get lost, just grab someone on the street, and say slowly, "Where? Train? Nihon Odori Station?"

When you are on a Minato Mirai Line train, you have several options to go to Tokyo. You can stay on it (a train for Shibuya) until the end of the line, and you will be in one of the busiest and hippest areas of Tokyo (about 40 minutes' ride). Or you can transfer at Yokohama Station, which is the fourth stop from Nihon Odori, onto a JR Tokaido Line that takes you to Tokyo Station (about 25 minutes). You will be one short stop away from Yurakucho, which gets you into Ginza.

The bullet train is actually a tougher option. The Shin-Yokohama Station where the bullet trains pass through is about 25 minutes away from Nihon Odori of Minato Mirai Line, and you would have to make two transfers to get there. In addition, the segment between Shin-Yokohama and Tokyo is actually the slowest-running part of that bullet train line. In other words, you would not experience what the bullet train is most famous for (speed) by taking it from Shin-Yokohama to Tokyo.

If you have a particular part of Tokyo that you would like to visit, please let me know. I will give you the exact routing accordingly.

Hello, I am a newby. Can you give me direction from YOKOHAMA PORT to SHIODOME STATION and how to get ticket? Thank you

I am planning on taking the cruise that starts from Tokyo (Yokohama). Taking a train or a bus is not an option for me since I will be travelling solo. Also, I would like to arrive at least 4 days prior to cruise to explore Tokyo. What hotel would you recommend to stay at (5* only)? It should be in the safe area.

What would be the cost of taxi from Tokyo to Yokohama?

Thanks!

Hello, I am a newby. Can you give me direction from YOKOHAMA PORT to SHIODOME STATION and how to get ticket? Thank you

From Yokhama's Osanbashi cruise terminal, you first need to walk down the long entrance ramp (about 5 minutes) into the city. Cross the intersection and keep walking in the same direction. You will pass a church on your right. At the next intersection, turn right. across the street, in the middle of the block, is a brown brick building. The Minato Mirai subway station is on the B1 floor of that building. You can purchase a one way ticket at the vending machines near the entrance turnstiles. Cost is currently 460 yen.

Local trains and express trains run on the same track.

A local train will get you to Shibuya Station in about one hour; express trains take 29 minutes.

At Shibuya you have two choices; subway or taxi.

A taxi to Shiodome will cost you about 2,000 yen and take about 15 minutes.

If you want to take the subway:

First you must go from the Minato Mirai Line to the Ginza Line (both in Shibuya Station).

You need to buy a ticket (170 yen) for the Ginza Line just outside the turnstile.

Take Ginza Line 3 stops (5 minutes) to Aoyama Iichome Station.

Exit the Ginza Line and transfer to Toei O-Edo Line in that same station.

You will need to buy another ticket (170 yen) for Toei O-Edo just outside the turnstile.

Aoyama Iichome to Shiodome takes about 10 minutes.

I am planning on taking the cruise that starts from Tokyo (Yokohama). Taking a train or a bus is not an option for me since I will be travelling solo. Also, I would like to arrive at least 4 days prior to cruise to explore Tokyo. What hotel would you recommend to stay at (5* only)? It should be in the safe area.

What would be the cost of taxi from Tokyo to Yokohama?

Thanks!

Why is a train or bus not an option for a solo traveler?

I travel solo most of the time and always take the train. A bus is even easier.

ALL hotels in Japan are in safe areas. Crime is quite rare in Japan.

A taxi from Tokyo to Yokohama would cost you around US$200.

A big Thank You to whomever brought this thread back. It's answered so many questions I have. We will land in Yokohama after crossing from YVR, hope to take the train to Takayama and Kanazawa before spending several days at the New Sanno hotel in Tokyo. (we've been to Kyoto within the past 5 years) Our ship also stops at Hakodate and Otaru, would a Japan rail pass be worth it. How long should we budget for Takayama & Kanazawa and are they worth it. I'm not buying our air tickets until I know how long we will want to stay in Japan. Thank you!!

From Yokhama's Osanbashi cruise terminal, you first need to walk down the long entrance ramp (about 5 minutes) into the city. Cross the intersection and keep walking in the same direction. You will pass a church on your right. At the next intersection, turn right. across the street, in the middle of the block, is a brown brick building. The Minato Mirai subway station is on the B1 floor of that building. You can purchase a one way ticket at the vending machines near the entrance turnstiles. Cost is currently 460 yen.

Local trains and express trains run on the same track.

A local train will get you to Shibuya Station in about one hour; express trains take 29 minutes.

At Shibuya you have two choices; subway or taxi.

A taxi to Shiodome will cost you about 2,000 yen and take about 15 minutes.

If you want to take the subway:

First you must go from the Minato Mirai Line to the Ginza Line (both in Shibuya Station).

You need to buy a ticket (170 yen) for the Ginza Line just outside the turnstile.

Take Ginza Line 3 stops (5 minutes) to Aoyama Iichome Station.

Exit the Ginza Line and transfer to Toei O-Edo Line in that same station.

You will need to buy another ticket (170 yen) for Toei O-Edo just outside the turnstile.

Aoyama Iichome to Shiodome takes about 10 minutes.

Thank you so much, it was so detail. Since we travel 2 adults and 2 kids, the fare $340/ per person from Shibuya to Shiodome, then you think is it better for us to take the taxi? I heard someone told me that tipping in Japan is an insult, is that true? I also need instruction from SHIN-OSAKA STATION to KOBE PORT TERMINAL. are you be able to help?

Thank you so much, it was so detail. Since we travel 2 adults and 2 kids, the fare $340/ per person from Shibuya to Shiodome, then you think is it better for us to take the taxi? I heard someone told me that tipping in Japan is an insult, is that true? I also need instruction from SHIN-OSAKA STATION to KOBE PORT TERMINAL. are you be able to help?

I would take the Minato-Mirai line from Yokohama to Shibuya, and then a taxi from Shibuya to Shiodome.

Tipping is very rarely done in Japan. It is not expected.

From Shin Osaka station, you need to take the JR Tokkaido line to Hankyu-Sannomiya station in Kobe. Takes about 30 minutes.

Then it is a 3 minute walk to the other end of the station where you board the Port Liner train.

Fare is 220 yen, I think. You go just two stops (less than 5 minutes) to the port terminal.

Why is a train or bus not an option for a solo traveler?

I travel solo most of the time and always take the train. A bus is even easier.

ALL hotels in Japan are in safe areas. Crime is quite rare in Japan.

A taxi from Tokyo to Yokohama would cost you around US$200.

Thank you BruseMuzz!

I am not a light packer, so dragging all my luggage is a challenge. Unless the train station is really close and easy to get to then I will consider a train.

Also, a question on the hotels... I randomly checked a few hotels (The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho) and it said that the hotel is sold out for the dates of April 19 - April 26. Is it possible? Is there any major event in Tokyo on these days? Or is it because it's too early to book?

Hi. I am a Yokohama native, so I am happy to help you. Probably the easiest and most economical way is to walk from the pier to the "Nihon Odori" Station of the Minato Mirai Line, which is about a seven-minute walk from the pier. The path to the station is very clearly marked, but if you ever get lost, just grab someone on the street, and say slowly, "Where? Train? Nihon Odori Station?"

When you are on a Minato Mirai Line train, you have several options to go to Tokyo. You can stay on it (a train for Shibuya) until the end of the line, and you will be in one of the busiest and hippest areas of Tokyo (about 40 minutes' ride). Or you can transfer at Yokohama Station, which is the fourth stop from Nihon Odori, onto a JR Tokaido Line that takes you to Tokyo Station (about 25 minutes). You will be one short stop away from Yurakucho, which gets you into Ginza.

The bullet train is actually a tougher option. The Shin-Yokohama Station where the bullet trains pass through is about 25 minutes away from Nihon Odori of Minato Mirai Line, and you would have to make two transfers to get there. In addition, the segment between Shin-Yokohama and Tokyo is actually the slowest-running part of that bullet train line. In other words, you would not experience what the bullet train is most famous for (speed) by taking it from Shin-Yokohama to Tokyo.

If you have a particular part of Tokyo that you would like to visit, please let me know. I will give you the exact routing accordingly.

This is an almost 10 year old post! Can anyone confirm if the advice is still accurate?

This is an almost 10 year old post! Can anyone confirm if the advice is still accurate?

All is correct. There is one improvement, however. The Minato-Mirai line now extends past Shibuya station, continuing into central Tokyo. Minato-Mirai line becomes Toyoko Line after it passes Yokohama station on the way to Tokyo.

Edited by BruceMuzz

Thank you BruseMuzz!

I am not a light packer, so dragging all my luggage is a challenge. Unless the train station is really close and easy to get to then I will consider a train.

Also, a question on the hotels... I randomly checked a few hotels (The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho) and it said that the hotel is sold out for the dates of April 19 - April 26. Is it possible? Is there any major event in Tokyo on these days? Or is it because it's too early to book?

"Golden Week" is the end of April-beginning of May. Look up the holidays during this time.

What ship are you on?

I've posted about this week in my April 22/17 Celebrity Millenium roll call.

dog

Edited by dog

"Golden Week" is the end of April-beginning of May. Look up the holidays during this time.

What ship are you on?

I've posted about this week in my April 22/17 Celebrity Millenium roll call.

dog

Millennium. April 26, 2018.

Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...

Hello! I found your helpful information regarding getting to the bullet train.

I am arriving to Yokohama by cruise ship in a few months. I wish to take the Tokaido Shinsansen Nozomi from Yokohama to Hiroshima and back to Yokohama in the same day.

I have three questions, if you please:

How do I purchase the tickets on the internet? I am deaf and purchasing them when I get there would be very difficult.

Secondly, am I correct that the Nozomi is the Tokaido train that will go all the way to Hiroshima?

Finally, can I get on and off this train wherever I wish along the way to eat, and shop?

Thank you VERY much for your help!

Sincerely,

Grace. :)

Hello! I found your helpful information regarding getting to the bullet train.

I am arriving to Yokohama by cruise ship in a few months. I wish to take the Tokaido Shinsansen Nozomi from Yokohama to Hiroshima and back to Yokohama in the same day.

I have three questions, if you please:

How do I purchase the tickets on the internet? I am deaf and purchasing them when I get there would be very difficult.

Secondly, am I correct that the Nozomi is the Tokaido train that will go all the way to Hiroshima?

Finally, can I get on and off this train wherever I wish along the way to eat, and shop?

Thank you VERY much for your help!

Sincerely,

Grace. :)

Grace,

You don't need to purchase JR tickets on the Internet. Contact any good travel agent and they can do it for you.

If you google Japan Railways schedule on the Internet, you can get all the schedule information that you will need.

Seats are reserved on Shinkansen. If you want to get off and shop, before getting back on again, you will need separate tickets for each segment.