Process for bringing IV meds

oraf7

We are being cautious and bringing IV antibiotics for one of our children who may or may not need. Is there anything special I need to know about bringing these. We are not flying taking the Bus service from Boston.

Thanks

Cheryl

We are being cautious and bringing IV antibiotics for one of our children who may or may not need. Is there anything special I need to know about bringing these. We are not flying taking the Bus service from Boston.

Thanks

Cheryl

Unless you are in need of specific meds, the on-board infirmary will have IV solutions and all the ACLS and basic meds you will need. If you or someone is a physician and traveling along, keep in mind of international laws come in place and the license may not cover (just an FYI not a slam) out of the State where that person is allowed to practice.

If you do not have a licensed physician traveling along (RN, NREMT-P do not count) but need specific meds administered via IV while on board, you should call 1–800-Princess and ask to speak with their Medical Department for instructions.

Regardless of what you decide to do, please be sure to notify your cabin attendant and request a sharp’s container and a BIO bag.

Good luck!

What princess explained is that they are UK registered and that they will not have the exact antibiotic which is Clindamycin but something similar. Unfortunatly she is allergic to most other classed of drugs so we don't want to take a chance feel it's safer to bring the clindamycin as a precaution. We have a letter of condition for Princess also. Thanks for the advice and no we will not be traveling with a nurse or physician bringing for the Ship Doc only if necessary.

I don't see that there would be a problem. I am not familiar with IVs and the equipment needed, but if you are simply bringing a bottle or bag of the specific antibiotic she may need and plan to use the ship doc to administer with the IV equipment on board - plus you have a letter of condition - you should not have a problem.

If the meds need to be refrigerated, then you will have to travel with a cold pack and a small cooler, then transfer them to the cabin refrigerator. I do this with injections that I take weekly, and have never had a problem or even been questioned. I make sure to have the Rx label from the pharmacy.

If you must bring IV or other equipment in order to administer the medication yourself, still I see no problem. Laws should not enter into caregiving for yourself or a member of your family which you routinely perform. Just pack the equipment in the proper luggage...and enjoy your cruise.

Letter or not, I would seriously look into this with Princess. Their onboard doctors (I would think) will not dispense an IV that is brought onboard by a passenger. I might be taking this wrong and you are able to administer the IV yourself. But if you are looking for the ship's doctor to do it, I would really look a lot closer if they will or not. Liability issues come into play here and the cruise line is very picky about that sort of thing.

Hopefully, you won't need it, and have a great cruise.

Don't ask this question here and rely on the answer. Contact Fleet Medical at Princess to get their official stance. This is potentially too important an issue to rely on answers from an enthusiasts' message board. Hopefully you can work something out.

Don't ask this question here and rely on the answer. Contact Fleet Medical at Princess to get their official stance. This is potentially too important an issue to rely on answers from an enthusiasts' message board. Hopefully you can work something out.

The best advice!

Thanks I have called Fleet Medical and my bases are covered, Thanks all

Wonderful! Glad you are all set now. It is better to be prepared for the worst and get the best out of cruise then not be prepared for something that might come up.

Have a great time!

In addition to calling Fleet Medical, you might want to find out what you'll need to have in order to bring bags of IV fluid/medication on the airplane -- particularly if you're going to be hand carrying it. I'd be a little concerned about packing it since the temperature excursion (and depressurization) could cause problems. Check the drug label and find out what temperature is needed. (Bags can often get quite hot in the summer if they're left for a bit in a baggage trolley out in the sun.)

I know clindamycin comes in both injectable and oral forms; why not the oral form instead? Clindamycin comes in small vials for injection (at least on the veterinary side, which probably came from a human medical distributor anyway).

Just a thought.

dogdoc2002

In response to above we aren't flying so no issue there. We are bringing both oral clindamycin and IV Clindamycin. Oral will be tried 1st if needed but sometimes to penetrate she requires a couple of days of IV as it gets to this area better. It's complicated to explain but the course of action is to be on the safe side as if it isn't treated promptly she will develop sepsis.

Be sure to take out insurance that will cover being air lifted off the ship to the nearest hospital. Hopefully, you won't need it but if you do, it's a small price to pay for such a critical service.

Carry hand sanitzer with you at all times in case the ship you are traveling on doesn't have dispensers in public areas.

Hope all goes well with your cruise...enjoy!

As far as traveling across state lines in the U.S., getting on a plane, getting on a ship or entering the U.S. from another country, all that is needed is an original, legible prescription with all drugs in original containers.

As far as getting the ship’s medical department to help, you have already gotten that info.

Archived