17 People robbed on Conquest Jamaica excursion

oakbend

Just adding a little local Jamaica "charm."

Have you ever noticed the people who are cleaning the streets near the dock in Ocho? Usually one or two people with about four or so policemen watching over them. They're cleaning the streets on their hands and knees. DH asked a policeman what was his crime and he was told "public urination." Seems like it's a problem in Jamaica.

Also, although we've never had a problem with locals in Jamaica, one of our tablemates had an interesting story to tell. A young, cute girl, on her honeymoon. She and her dh were offered drugs and declined. The said she was "snotted." What's snotting? Apparently the drug dealer came up to her and blocked one nostril and blew -- right onto her! :eek:

That's disgusting. Maybe if the cruise ships quit going to Jamaica they'll feel it in the decline in their economy and make some changes & quit harrasing the tourists.

Without reading this entire thread, have any of your items been returned to you? I understand that no money was returned.

IMHO it is unbelievable that the cruise ships would continue to visit this port. If the police in Jamaica can't control the crime there, why should we take our dollars there. They should find another port until they can take control of the natives.

This may of already been put here but if it has you will read it twice..

I found this on the ports of call board...

Carla

email from Bob dickinson re: Jamaica

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received an email from dickinson (CCL CEO)regarding my concern about safety in Jamaica:

Dear ,,,

Thank you for contacting us and allowing us the opportunity to address your concerns.

We would like to assure you that the safety and security of our guests is our number one priority. Carnival works closely with local and federal law enforcement agencies in an effort to provide a safe vacation experience for our guests, both aboard ship and in ports of call.

With regard to the situation in Montego Bay, your concern is very much appreciated. While Carnival Cruise Lines carries tens of thousands of guests to Jamaica each year without incident, we are extraordinarily troubled and concerned by the recent situation and have been interacting extensively with the Jamaican authorities. Furthermore, we have suspended the sale of the shore excursion in question.

We hope this information is of some assistance to you and also hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you aboard a Carnival ship in the future.

Best regards,

Bob Dickinson

Without reading this entire thread, have any of your items been returned to you? I understand that no money was returned.

IMHO it is unbelievable that the cruise ships would continue to visit this port. If the police in Jamaica can't control the crime there, why should we take our dollars there. They should find another port until they can take control of the natives.

I agree! We were to Ocho Rios in October and did not encounter or hear of any of the problems that they are having in Montego Bay.

The farthest we are going when we arrive in MB this week is the terminal which is right near the ship pier.

We definitely WILL NOT go downtown or on any excursions in Jamaica.

I agree! We were to Ocho Rios in October and did not encounter or hear of any of the problems that they are having in Montego Bay.

The farthest we are going when we arrive in MB this week is the terminal which is right near the ship pier.

We definitely WILL NOT go downtown or on any excursions in Jamaica.

We're also on RCI again this week.

This may of already been put here but if it has you will read it twice..

I found this on the ports of call board...

Carla

email from Bob dickinson re: Jamaica

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received an email from dickinson (CCL CEO)regarding my concern about safety in Jamaica:

Dear ,,,

Thank you for contacting us and allowing us the opportunity to address your concerns.

We would like to assure you that the safety and security of our guests is our number one priority. Carnival works closely with local and federal law enforcement agencies in an effort to provide a safe vacation experience for our guests, both aboard ship and in ports of call.

With regard to the situation in Montego Bay, your concern is very much appreciated. While Carnival Cruise Lines carries tens of thousands of guests to Jamaica each year without incident, we are extraordinarily troubled and concerned by the recent situation and have been interacting extensively with the Jamaican authorities. Furthermore, we have suspended the sale of the shore excursion in question.

We hope this information is of some assistance to you and also hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you aboard a Carnival ship in the future.

Best regards,

Bob Dickinson

This little letter is fina and dandy regarding this articular excursion, bvut what do they plan to do aboutt their passengers who unknowlingly walkk into a store and are harrassed until they "buy" something lest they be harmed or arrested or the cruiser who is walking down the street and continually offered drugs and/or prosititutes???

My guess is that after this robbery has happened along with ALL the other things that randomly happen to cruisers there---soemone wll have to be physcially harmed or killed before they will leave that port.

My guess is that after this robbery has happened along with ALL the other things that randomly happen to cruisers there---soemone wll have to be physcially harmed or killed before they will leave that port.

Not if people quit booking the cruises that go there. Especially those who keep saying "I'll just stay on the ship", well my question is why pay to go there anyway? You're paying for a stop on your vacation that you do not intend to enjoy. Would you book a flight to the Grand Canyon and just stay in your hotel? That makes as much sense. It's a waste of your money either way. The only way the cruise lines will "get the message" is when the itineraries that include Jamaica are no longer selling. As long as people are willing to pay for that itinerary, the cruise lines will continue to sell it. Period.

This little letter is fina and dandy regarding this articular excursion, bvut what do they plan to do aboutt their passengers who unknowlingly walkk into a store and are harrassed until they "buy" something lest they be harmed or arrested or the cruiser who is walking down the street and continually offered drugs and/or prosititutes???

Starketcher - I wholeheartedly agree with you!!! What I don't understand is what do the cruise lines get out of this? What would be the difference if they drop Jamaica for another island? I would really be interested in finding out.

Starketcher - I wholeheartedly agree with you!!! What I don't understand is what do the cruise lines get out of this? What would be the difference if they drop Jamaica for another island? I would really be interested in finding out.

Remember there are 1 or 2 maybe 3% or cruisers using CC.. what about the remaining 97% that may want to goto Jamaica? I understand the problems some have incurred there.. but lets do the math.. if all 3000 passengers did a poll.. I do not think that Jamaica would be removed.

Remember there are 1 or 2 maybe 3% or cruisers using CC.. what about the remaining 97% that may want to goto Jamaica? I understand the problems some have incurred there.. but lets do the math.. if all 3000 passengers did a poll.. I do not think that Jamaica would be removed.

....until somebody loses an eye....

If these 97% or so cruisers were given truthful information about what the majority of tourists encounter in Jamaica, do you think they wouldl go?

For those that know about Jamaice and the encounters and still want to go, then that is their decision and I say go, but go with a knowledge of what the port will entail. For the others who would not know (new cruisers, people not on CC, etc), I am afraid they will find out the hard way!

It's a beautful country but I will not go back or book a cruise that goes there & I have not in the past few years as I will not patronize a corrupt country that is not trying to better themselves.

If these 97% or so cruisers were given truthful information about what the majority of tourists encounter in Jamaica, do you think they wouldl go?

For those that know about Jamaice and the encounters and still want to go, then that is their decision and I say go, but go with a knowledge of what the port will entail. For the others who would not know (new cruisers, people not on CC, etc), I am afraid they will find out the hard way!

It's a beautful country but I will not go back or book a cruise that goes there & I have not in the past few years as I will not patronize a corrupt country that is not trying to better themselves.

I myself knew about Jamaica since my 1st land visit in 1987... didn't start cruising until 2006.. so there are many many out there that are aware of what goes on .. as I was well aware at 17 what could happen:rolleyes:

Regardless of what people think or want. The cruiseline should decide for the safety of all their passangers. Those that really want to go should go on their own, apart from a cruise

Wow! And you (hmstins) live in Houston? Good thing cruise ships can't get there. Looking at the Houston crime statistics I'd prefer to take my chances on Jamaica.

http://houston.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Houston&s1=TX&c2=san+francisco&s2=CA

Houston had 334 murders in 2005 with a murder rate of 16.3/100,000 people. At least some of these killings can be contributed to the vast scores of welfare types who were bussed to Houston and dumped after Katrina.

Jamaica had 1,600 murders in 2005.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2006/01/060103_murderlist.shtml

Given they have around 2.7 million people, their murder rate was around 59/100,000.

Why one would rather go to this Isle of Death is beyond me.

Just to add some REAL statistics to this thread. Try reading this http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita

You'll see that Jamaica is #37 and the U.S. is #8.

Lighten up a little, I understand the point. I was just trying to show that crime is more likely to happen in the US than in Jamaica per 1000 people.

Does it really matter? They are crimes against people.

OK, you have your opinion and I have mine. Except mine is supported by fact not speculation. If you have better data to support your opinion please provide.

No offense, but you should at least _read_ more into your data.

For Murders per 1,000 people, the US is ranked 24th of 62. We ranked 6th of 62 in total number of murders.

Jamaica on the other hand ranked 3rd out of 62 in per capita murders. While their total number of murders was lower, ranking them 17th out of 62, the Jamaicans are limited to just how many people they can kill. With their per capita rating of .324196/1,000 people, they would rack up just under 100,000 murders. The US had a total of 12,658 murders with 300M people. If Jamaica had that population, a half of million people would die from murder in just five years.

Facts don't lie, people lie with facts. I would much rather be in a place where I am more likely to get something stolen when I am not around vs. being a victim of a violent crime. When you consider this is comparing the advanced world with the 3rd world, and does not include the most recent violent years (data is from 1998-2000) for Jamaica, I am very glad I heard about this incident. I personally will never visit Jamaica. Others are more than free to visit, I just don't want to hear any pro-Jamaica folks complain if they become a victim of a crime.

It is too bad this discussion has become what it has become. Hope some have enjoyed themselves here on behalf of a tragic incident on 17 people trying to enjoy their summer vacation. By the way I think I can speak for all 17 of us it feels as if I went to hell instead of a Caribbean Cruise that should have been a vacation of a life time for my two daughters.

I think the discussion is good. People are actually going out and finding their own data and making their own choices. Anything that helps people understand that _anything_ that comes out of an employees mouth might be a sales pitch is a good thing. I think the other half of the discussion is that of Carnival paying for damages. If they honestly said it was "guarenteed safe," then I lean toward that being a verbal contract, therefore they should pay up for items lost and maybe some visits to a shrink. Outside of that, I just cannot say this should be awarded any "pain and suffering."

This discussion is good because we are now providing facts that Jamaica has problems. Now anyone who has read this thread cannot come on here demanding compensation if something happens to them in the future. They knew about the problems and went anyway. In the end, it is just a roll of the dice.

I was at Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios last Sept with no problems. Was this in Ocho Rios or not. I anm planning on going on the Liberty in August and we are stopping there agaion. I have the Rafting on the Martha Brea River booked. Wonderingif it is safe now?

Regardless of what people think or want. The cruiseline should decide for the safety of all their passangers. Those that really want to go should go on their own, apart from a cruise

...the cruiselines cannot GUARANTEE the safety of any passengers in any port, based on your logic, they would not go anywhere.

I am sorry this happened to you, but I still want to be able to cruise to Jamaica.

I was at Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios last Sept with no problems. Was this in Ocho Rios or not. I anm planning on going on the Liberty in August and we are stopping there agaion. I have the Rafting on the Martha Brea River booked. Wonderingif it is safe now?

We did this last Conquest cruise. All went well. You need to understand you are out in the boonies on this excursion. Is there an opportunity for the bad guys to find you ... yes. But again we went and all was well. Doubt there is any excursion out there that does not at least provide an opportunity for something to happen. Not yet convinced we should all stop leaving the relative safety of our homes.

Not if people quit booking the cruises that go there. Especially those who keep saying "I'll just stay on the ship", well my question is why pay to go there anyway? You're paying for a stop on your vacation that you do not intend to enjoy. Would you book a flight to the Grand Canyon and just stay in your hotel? That makes as much sense. It's a waste of your money either way. The only way the cruise lines will "get the message" is when the itineraries that include Jamaica are no longer selling. As long as people are willing to pay for that itinerary, the cruise lines will continue to sell it. Period.

Carnival knows how many get off the ship in each port. I cruise not only for the ports but for the ship and to be at sea. I will on the Freedom New Years 2008-2009 and we stop in Jamacia and I nor my kids will be getting off the ship. Stopped in Jamacia once and seen for myself. Once is enough for me. Where there drugs there are guns and problems. If enough people stay on the ship, Carnival will drop the port.

I myself knew about Jamaica since my 1st land visit in 1987... didn't start cruising until 2006.. so there are many many out there that are aware of what goes on .. as I was well aware at 17 what could happen:rolleyes:

Yup, none of this is 'new'. I visited Jamaica in the mid 80's and IMHO it was bad then.

one of my wife's cousins and her husband just returned from a RCCL cruise that stopped in Jamaica.

She said that the waterfalls were nice, but has ZERO intention of ever returning. This is coming from one of the most upbeat people I know. My wife no longer wishes to ever see Jamaica

If enough people stay on the ship, Carnival will drop the port.

Unfortunately I'm not sure this is true. If the ship sails full AND more people stay on board and spend money on the ship while it's in port... I doubt they'll be in a hurry to change that. :rolleyes:

No offense, but you should at least _read_ more into your data.

For Murders per 1,000 people, the US is ranked 24th of 62. We ranked 6th of 62 in total number of murders.

Jamaica on the other hand ranked 3rd out of 62 in per capita murders. While their total number of murders was lower, ranking them 17th out of 62, the Jamaicans are limited to just how many people they can kill. With their per capita rating of .324196/1,000 people, they would rack up just under 100,000 murders. The US had a total of 12,658 murders with 300M people. If Jamaica had that population, a half of million people would die from murder in just five years.

Facts don't lie, people lie with facts. I would much rather be in a place where I am more likely to get something stolen when I am not around vs. being a victim of a violent crime. When you consider this is comparing the advanced world with the 3rd world, and does not include the most recent violent years (data is from 1998-2000) for Jamaica, I am very glad I heard about this incident. I personally will never visit Jamaica. Others are more than free to visit, I just don't want to hear any pro-Jamaica folks complain if they become a victim of a crime.

Also look at the comparison between land mass size. Murders per square mile in Jamaica vs. United States. Jamaica's crime is concentrated into a small Island.

Archived