17 People robbed on Conquest Jamaica excursion

oakbend

Bluebonnet you might want to write down what happened, the dates and times of anyone you have spoken with. Document everything. If this does go to litigation you will have a written account of everything that happened. (You won't remember all of the details and names of people you spoke with in two years) I would also recommend keeping a journal, write down all of the feelings that you have and all of the stuff you are having to do to get your stolen id, credit cards, etc straightened out. Just a suggestion. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Yes. Definitely seek legal counsel. If your attorney can prove that the Carnival employee implied guaranteed safety, then Carnival will settle with you for a healthy sum. It doesn't undo the incident, but it may help you get past it.

Justified or not--who ultimately pays for this healthy sum?:rolleyes:

We do.

If someone should pay-it should be the tour operator in Jamaica.

Other than the one idiot poster... what negative has been posted about you?? I think you might be reading too much into things... if people still want to go to Jamaica, that has nothing to do with you.... it doesn't reflect on how they feel about you and this situation. I haven't seen where people are talking bad about you... at least not on this forum. Don't take things personally... surely everyone is sickened that this happened to you guys... except for that idiot of a kid, don't pay him any mind!!!

I agree. I don't think anyone is trying to be negative toward any of you. We can't even imagine being put in that type of situation while on vacation on a "safe" ship tour. There's nothing that we can say that will make it any better but I hope you can feel that people here really are concerned about what happened and feel terrible for those of you who had to endure it. For me, it's especially hard to hear about the children, the elderly and the disabled that were involved just because they were vulnerable. Some people will continue to enjoy Jamaica and that's their perogative.

I truly hope everyone involved can put it behind them soon and that those new cruisers who were not aware of the crime element in Jamaica, now have knowledge that gives them power.

Other than the one idiot poster... what negative has been posted about you?? I think you might be reading too much into things... if people still want to go to Jamaica, that has nothing to do with you.... it doesn't reflect on how they feel about you and this situation. I haven't seen where people are talking bad about you... at least not on this forum. Don't take things personally... surely everyone is sickened that this happened to you guys... except for that idiot of a kid, don't pay him any mind!!!

Mark Price generally doesn't give out bad info. I truly hope that it was more of a "way" he worded it, and a misunderstanding... but even so, if he is saying this, he needs to definitely reword how it is said.

You will probably never see the tape... unless you guys pursue this legally. But Carnival surely is reviewing things and will make sure Mark never says anything like that again :( I would imagine you probably aren't going to get the answers from Carnival that you want... they have to tiptoe because they are a huge corporation and any admittance of fault could hurt them (not saying it's right, that is just how it is)...your group may want to seek legal counsel...

I wish you luck in getting resolution, and moving on. God Bless you all!!

Lucy.............I don't mean negative about me, I guess I can't put into words how I feel when some are so nonchalant still about Jamaica. And that might not even be the right way to say how I feel. And you are right it was the one poster that left a bad taste in my mouth. So I stand corrected.

I truly am thankful for all the well wishes and concerns here. It means more than you can know for people to say they will not return to Jamaica. Sorry that is just how I feel. My main goal is to let others now the dangers. Yes I know it is dangerous everywhere, I live just out of a big city and understand there is crime everywhere!!!

I agree. I don't think anyone is trying to be negative toward any of you. We can't even imagine being put in that type of situation while on vacation on a "safe" ship tour. There's nothing that we can say that will make it any better but I hope you can feel that people here really are concerned about what happened and feel terrible for those of you who had to endure it. For me, it's especially hard to hear about the children, the elderly and the disabled that were involved just because they were vulnerable. I truly hope everyone can put it behind them soon and that those new cruisers who were not aware of the crime element in Jamaica, now have knowledge that gives then power.

LRene............thank you. Two of the children were mine......daughters 12 and 14!

I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope you can move past it.

I was in LA several years ago. The first night there I was offered drugs and was even asked if I needed a "companion"!!???? The next night we were mugged! So please keep in mind that this sort of thing happens every place you go. I was in Jamacia last year and I loved it. I was asked if I want drugs but nothng worse than what I experienced in LA. I would imagine that Jamacia may be in turmoil right now with their political situation so it may be a good idea to go there right now. I even get asked about drugs when walking from the parking lot to the stadium here in Phoenix.

I hope all involved are doing okay and that your next vacation will be a fantastic one!!

Lucy and jcanino, I can't believe how naive and childlike you are in your thinking. If people who LIVED there all their life are afraid to go back, what does that say? It doesn't matter what one person said, or the family next door went and it was fine, or your friends went and stayed in a resort and didn't have any trouble. The whole place is a cesspool, there IS no law and order there, drugs rule the whole island, and anyone who goes there needs to have their head examined. End of story. You want to go there? Please, be my guest!

I give up on this thread. All the do-gooders who want to pray over the poor Jamaicans just go ahead. They won't have me in their face in the future.

I have been to Jamaica 3 times - 2 times to all-inclusive and last year on the Star Princess (Ocho Rios). The first time there I was sure everyone was exaggerating about how bad things were so we rented a car and ventured out on our own. We returned to our resort within an hour of leaving it. The second time around we never even left the resort and last year we took a Princess sponsored tour. Thankfully nothing happened to us although I have to admit I do not like Jamaica. The people there are pushy, aggressive and downright intimidating. Even on the Princess tour I never really felt that safe. When the tour stopped at the shopping complex we only browsed through 2 shops because a group of men started following us. Needless to say Jamaica is the last destination I now pick as a vacation spot and I try to stay away from cruises that stop there. I feel very sorry for the 17 people that were robbed - I can't imagine how you get over something like that. I know that we are not safe anywhere but a place like Jamaica that is notorious for it's crime should not be promoted by the cruise industry and should be dropped as a port of call.

Lucy and jcanino, I can't believe how naive and childlike you are in your thinking. If people who LIVED there all their life are afraid to go back, what does that say? It doesn't matter what one person said, or the family next door went and it was fine, or your friends went and stayed in a resort and didn't have any trouble. The whole place is a cesspool, there IS no law and order there, drugs rule the whole island, and anyone who goes there needs to have their head examined. End of story. You want to go there? Please, be my guest!

I give up on this thread. All the do-gooders who want to pray over the poor Jamaicans just go ahead. They won't have me in their face in the future.

Wait, why did you pick us two out? Out of over 500 people on the POLL, 40% said they didn't think Carnival should pull out and they enjoyed Jamaica.... I don't listen to ANYONE... I've been to Jamaica MANY times, I listen to MYSELF :rolleyes: You don't have to go... but the fact remains that the chances of this happening are small, and there is the same chance at most western ports!! I've also stayed for 10 days in Jamaica, no problems... sure, i could have had problems, but I could have been hit by a car this morning too.. thank goodness I didn't. I've been robbed in the States... YOU don't have to go, I can if I want to... why does that piss you off so bad???????? Geez, mind your own business and I'll mind mine. You have no right to call me naive and childlike... I've frequented Jamaica without incident... I can only hope I will always be lucky, but I can't guarantee that... You are so angry because I haven't had a problem there???? I'm supposed to give up places now when there is an incident? Should I never go to Belize, or Costa Rica, or Nassau now??? DOminican Republic??? Honolulu??

If it was as bad as YOU say it is, the Dept of State would have Jamaica on it's warning list, do not travel list, or caution list... so please, enough with the dramatics. What happened to these people is horrible, I can't even imagine... but it doesn't mean it happens to everyone... or even close to the millions that travel there each year. Similar things have happened in Belize and Costa Rica... and other ports. It's a tragedy, but don't tell people they are stupid for enjoying it there...

I was born in Frayser in Memphis. I'm sure there are still some pretty good soul food places to eat there. Actually, there are still some lovely homes there that have been there for many years. Rent is cheap, houses are abundant, and I am sure there are some good places to shop. HOWEVER, I don't go to Frayser anymore. No one goes there unless they are stuck with a home which they can not sell or they are very brave. There are very good reasons why most people don't visit Frayser, as anyone who lives in Memphis will tell you.:D That being said I have gone back there to pick up a friend, and no I was not shot. BUT I guarantee you my odds of getting shot there are MUCH higher than other parts of Memphis I choose to go to. So cuz I kinda like living, I don't go there unless I have to. For me, it is not worth the risk. I think this is how to op might feel, sorta.

I can't stand the "crime can happen anywhere" logic. Using that logic, you obviously would be all up for a trip to Iraq, Iran, and Mogadishu.

Yes, actually I would. But then, we survived three years as civilians in Viet Nam during the war, had two kids and worked in refugee camps. There was plenty of crime, lots of danger. Went to Turkey last summer even though there were bombings.....and probably will go to Palestine as an observer sometime in the next couple of years. ...and back to Jamaica as well.

Everything is a risk. Life is a risk. You have to be careful to some extent, of course. - but you can't eliminate the risk.

Fran in Toronto

Wait, why did you pick us two out? Out of over 500 people on the POLL, 40% said they didn't think Carnival should pull out and they enjoyed Jamaica.... I don't listen to ANYONE... I've been to Jamaica MANY times, I listen to MYSELF :rolleyes: You don't have to go... but the fact remains that the chances of this happening are small, and there is the same chance at most western ports!!

I wasn't going to respond but I agree with all you said. I happen to know personally several people locally with family in Jamaica, including Kingston, who travel back home every year. They know the so called bad areas and avoid them just like we avoid the bad areas in our own communities. Not everyone who used to live in Jamaica is afraid to go back home.

Wait, why did you pick us two out? Out of over 500 people on the POLL, 40% said they didn't think Carnival should pull out and they enjoyed Jamaica.... I don't listen to ANYONE... I've been to Jamaica MANY times, I listen to MYSELF :rolleyes: You don't have to go... but ...

Okay everyone... this is a forum where everyone has their opinion...no need to get testy... AGAIN, this link was started by Bluebonnet to express her tragic experience in Jamaica and it WAS tragic. Enough said about EVERY place in America and elsewhere that has crime... WE KNOW THAT! What most are saying that as a whole, Jamaica is known to be crime infested... NOT ALL citizens of Jamaica... (no need to get upset over that statement... there are fine Jamaicans too!) but overall, the island is considered a risk. Especially compared to ALL of the other places cruise ships dock. YES, there is crime at other ports, but not like Jamaica. This is not new news! It has been going on for YEARS.

As for the 40% who said they didn't think Carnival should pull out and loved Jamaica... i was one who said they shouldn't pull out (unrealistic and money talks) but I did NOT like it and will NEVER go back there again. They may just have to figure that out on their own when peopel refuse to pay for cruises that go there. Of course there always will be people who seek out Jamaica for a port to visit, but the numbers WILL drop! Yes, we had a great time at Dunn's River but that's it for me. Too many other places I want to return to or see for the first time.

I had no real complaints about Jamaica when we went in May, we did not get attacked, my son was offered drugs, that happened in his high school for crying out loud, but i did find it undesirable to vacation there.

For all those who want to go back... GREAT! I think most people here aren't arguing that fact. Although some are I guess...;) Since we had a decent experience, you would think we would go back too...

So enough about the risks everywhere else. It's a given... and we aren't in Heaven yet...;) (that was a great quote by the way, whoever posted that)

Go to Jamaica, don't go to Jamaica... just thank Bluebonnet and Kenneth for telling it like it is to convince me more why I didn't like the place!

Justified or not--who ultimately pays for this healthy sum?:rolleyes:

We do.

If someone should pay-it should be the tour operator in Jamaica.

Regardless who ultimately pays it, if Carnival did somehow imply a guarantee of safety on their excursions, then they have created a liability for themselves. There's no way the tour operator in Jamaica will pay directly, because it's Jamaica. They will likely pay in the form of Carnival dumping them as a contractor.

Been there 3 times. Have never been offered drugs - have never been robbed at gun point. Beautiful place but the fact remains that a ship sponsored excursion was robbed at gun point. Have a cruise there scheduled in Dec and we are seriously considering cancelling that particular cruise. Why? Not sure I am willing to place my DW in harms way so I can go swinging thru the canopy. All the comments about "this could happen anywhere" are true but you know what? I stay out of places right here in my own city where I know the crime rate is high. Very simple. Why would I purposely go to a place knowing I could get robbed at gun point or worse - at a rate higher than normal? Don't do it here, why do it there? We love cruising and love the idea of being able to see new and exciting places. The last time we were there we did the Martha Ray Raft trip. Absolutely gorgeous but thinking back - we were out in the middle of no where and totally vulnerable to what ever the bad guys might have wanted to do. Nothing happened except we had a marvelous raft ride down a beautiful river with a super guide. Never once felt uncomfortable. But now I am not so sure I could do that and not have the potential of something similar happening to us that happened last Weds. It is a personal choice - not trying to convince anyone to go or not go. Point is "could it happen in say St Thomas or St Martin??" Of course - but the big difference, as I see it, based on the information I have, is that the likelihood is significantly less. When we go to Vegas we don't cruise the back streets Why - thats obvious I think - same principal. I am convinced there will be a surge of people staying on the boat, a number of cruises cancelled by folks that know about this incident and then it will blow over and everything will get back to normal. The cruise lines are not going to stop going there until the cruising public indicates by there wallets that they are not interested in going to Jamaica. And I don't see that happening any time soon.

:rolleyes: I can definately think of a few other ways to get FREE cruise/excursion compensation than to conjure up a "story" such as this. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT Doubting whether it happened or not...I'm just saying that I find it a little hard to swallow that things happened the way that the OP stated that it happened.

BTW...I'm Glad Nothing Happened to US when we went to Jamaica.

If that isn't dumbest thing I have ever read, I don't know what is...

Several years ago we went to Ochios Rios on the Imagination with a large group of our family... Our kids were grabbed & accosted by the local natives (& yes they acted like natives!) when we were leaving Dunn River Falls park with our tour guide. My brother in law & I about gave 4 Jamacian losers the butt whopping of thier lives... They smartened up & got out of our way when we placed ourselves between our families & these wanna be thugs... You can come & talk to me & my family but do not put your hands on my kids, my nephews, my wife, sister, etc unless you wanna get hurt... Luckily, these guys were not armed but they had some serious dreadlocks goin' on!... It scared my youngest nephew who was 8 or 9 at the time the most... We had trouble with a local taxi driver as well... They tried to charge us double the going rate...

I'm sure there are more honest, god/rastafaran lovin' people then there are bad people but I hear more & more about people who leave the resort areas or get off the cruise ships who are robbed, beaten, raped, etc. then any other carribean country... I have 2 friends who are from jamaica & they even acknowledge how bad things have gotten over the last 5 - 7 yrs... This was our 2nd trip... Our 1st trip about 10 yrs ago was ok... No problem mon! This last time was a horror story... Needless to say, our family will never go back... If we do, we probably will not get off the ship... I mean come on... When the only way you can go shopping is to ride a van provided by the cruise ship & they have armed guards on each entrance to the shopping center, that ought to give you a clue that you are not in a safe place!!!!

Jamaica is a poor country & they see the cruise passengers as easy pickings!!! :rolleyes:

Bob Marley had it goin' on when he was talking about everyone getting together & feel alright, one love, etc. I have about 20 Bob Marley CD's & love his music & his mindset... Don't come back sayin' I'm racist or whatever... I love everybody until you give me a reason not to... The people we met that day in Jamaica gave me good reason not to love them so therefore my family will not be going back! Why should I reward a country that doesn't protect their vistors? Yes I know the good ole U.S. has it's problems with Crime but if we didn't have so many illegal aliens committing a good portion of these crimes, our country would be much better place to live... Our country can't be all that bad considering the amount of people who break the law to just get into our country!

We are heading to Bahamas (great people there!), St. Thomas, St. John & St. Maarten... Never had or heard of anyone having issues on these islands & I have been reading these boards since 2005!

I'm off my soapbox now... Everyone have an awesome cruise as I know my family & I will! :)

Okay everyone... this is a forum where everyone has their opinion...no need to get testy... AGAIN, this link was started by Bluebonnet to express her tragic experience in Jamaica and it WAS tragic. Enough said about EVERY place in America and elsewhere that has crime... WE KNOW THAT! What most are saying that as a whole, Jamaica is known to be crime infested... NOT ALL citizens of Jamaica... (no need to get upset over that statement... there are fine Jamaicans too!) but overall, the island is considered a risk. Especially compared to ALL of the other places cruise ships dock. YES, there is crime at other ports, but not like Jamaica. This is not new news! It has been going on for YEARS.

As for the 40% who said they didn't think Carnival should pull out and loved Jamaica... i was one who said they shouldn't pull out (unrealistic and money talks) but I did NOT like it and will NEVER go back there again. They may just have to figure that out on their own when peopel refuse to pay for cruises that go there. Of course there always will be people who seek out Jamaica for a port to visit, but the numbers WILL drop! Yes, we had a great time at Dunn's River but that's it for me. Too many other places I want to return to or see for the first time.

I had no real complaints about Jamaica when we went in May, we did not get attacked, my son was offered drugs, that happened in his high school for crying out loud, but i did find it undesirable to vacation there.

For all those who want to go back... GREAT! I think most people here aren't arguing that fact. Although some are I guess...;) Since we had a decent experience, you would think we would go back too...

So enough about the risks everywhere else. It's a given... and we aren't in Heaven yet...;) (that was a great quote by the way, whoever posted that)

Go to Jamaica, don't go to Jamaica... just thank Bluebonnet and Kenneth for telling it like it is to convince me more why I didn't like the place!

Well said!

A.

I would hope most people would do this before traveling abroad... but I know many don't... but here are some consular reports from the dept of state for several port areas... you can get any of this info from the Dept of State website... I would recommend that everyone check this site when traveling, just so you have an idea of areas to avoid, or the basic crime "climate" at the time... It wouldn't hurt to print out the info found here also http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1748.html

Hope some of this helps... no need to be paranoid, but you should always be aware. Wishing you all safe travels!

BAHAMAS:

CRIME: While the Bahamas has a relatively low crime rate, visitors should exercise caution and good judgment. Although most criminal incidents take place in a part of Nassau not usually frequented by tourists (the "over-the-hill" area south of downtown), crime and violence has moved into more upscale tourist and residential areas. Criminals also target restaurants and nightclubs frequented by tourists. The most common approach for criminals is to offer victims a ride, either as a “personal favor” or by claiming to be a taxi, and then robbing and/or assaulting the passenger once they are in the car. Visitors should take care to ride only in licensed taxis, identifiable by their yellow license plates.

In the last year the U.S. Embassy has received several reports of sexual assaults, including assaults against teen-age girls. Most assaults have been perpetrated against intoxicated young women, some of whom were reportedly drugged. To minimize the potential for sexual assault, the Embassy recommends that young women stay in groups, consume alcohol in moderation or not at all, ride only in licensed taxis, and not accept rides or drinks from strangers.

Travelers should avoid walking alone after dark or in isolated areas, and avoid placing themselves in situations where they are alone with strangers. Be cautious on deserted areas of beaches at all hours. Hotel guests should always lock their doors and should never leave valuables unattended, especially on beaches. Visitors should store passport/identity documents, airline tickets, credit cards, and extra cash in hotel safes. Avoid wearing expensive jewelry, particularly Rolex, or other high-end watches, which criminals have specifically targeted. Use only clearly marked taxis with yellow license plates and make a note of the license plate number for your records.

The legal age in the Bahamas for consumption of alcoholic beverages is 18. Parents should be aware, however, that enforcement of the drinking age is weak. It is easy for teenagers to obtain alcoholic beverages and underage drinking is prevalent. Many of the arrests, accidents and violent crimes suffered by U.S. citizens in the Bahamas involve alcohol.

In many countries around the world, counterfeit and pirated goods are widely available. Transactions involving such products may be illegal under local law. In addition, bringing them back to the United States may result in forfeitures and/or fines. More information on this serious problem is available at http://www.cybercrime.gov/18usc2320.htm .

BELIZE:

CRIME: The incidence of crime, including violent crimes such as armed robbery, shooting, stabbing, murder, and rape, is on the rise. The Embassy has noted an increase in recent years in reports of crimes against tourists at resorts and on the roadways and river ways. The incidence of crimes such as theft, burglary, purse snatching and pick-pocketing rises around the winter holidays and spring break. Several victims who resisted when confronted by criminals have received serious personal injuries, including gunshot wounds. Although the majority of reported incidents are in Belize City, crime occurs in all districts including tourist spots such as San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Placencia.

Sexual harassment and/or assault of females traveling alone or in small groups have occurred this past year. Several American travelers have been the victims of sexual assaults in recent years. One of these occurred after the victim accepted a lift from an acquaintance, while another occurred during an armed robbery at an isolated resort. One of these assaults has resulted in the death of the victim.

The Embassy recommends that visitors travel in groups and only in daylight hours, stay off the streets after dark, in urban and rural areas, and avoid wearing jewelry, or carrying valuable or expensive items. As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women’s handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

If traveling by taxi, use only vehicles with green license plates, do not get in a taxi that is occupied by more than the driver, and do not let the driver pick up additional fares.

Armed robberies of American tourist groups occurred during the summer of 2006 in the Mountain Pine Ridge and Caracol regions of the western district of Belize. Due to increased police patrols, coordinated tours among resort security managers, and the arrest of two of the "highway bandits," there have not been any additional robberies since June, 2006. In the past, criminals have targeted popular Mayan archeological sites in that region. Visitors should travel in groups and should stick to the main plazas and tourist sites. Although there are armed guards posted at some of the archeological sites, armed criminals have been known to prey on persons walking from one site to another. Victims who resist when confronted by these armed assailants frequently suffer personal injury.

Travel on rural roads, especially at night, increases the risk of encountering criminal activities. Widespread narcotics and alien smuggling activities can make remote areas especially dangerous. Though there is no evidence that Americans in particular are targeted, criminals look for every opportunity to attack, so all travelers should be vigilant.

Rather than traveling alone, use a reputable tour organization. It is best to stay in groups, travel in a caravan consisting of two or more vehicles, and stay on the main roads. Ensure that someone not traveling with you is aware of your itinerary. Travelers should resist the temptation to stay in budget hotels, which are generally more susceptible to crime, and stay in the main tourist destinations. Do not explore back roads or isolated paths near tourist sites. And remember always to pay close attention to your surroundings.

Americans visiting the Belize-Guatemala border area should consider carefully their security situation and should travel only during daylight hours. Vehicles should be in good operating condition, adequately fueled, and carry communications equipment. Persons traveling into Guatemala from Belize should check the Consular Information Sheet for Guatemala and the U.S. Embassy web site at http://usembassy.state.gov/guatemala for the latest information about crime and security in Guatemala.

A lack of resources and training impedes the ability of the police to investigate crimes effectively and to apprehend serious offenders. As a result, a number of crimes against Americans in Belize remain unresolved. Nonetheless, victims of crime should report immediately to the police all incidents of assault, robbery, theft or other crimes. Tourists may contact the Belizean tourist police unit as well as the main police office for assistance.

In addition to reporting crimes to local police, American citizens should report all criminal incidents to the U.S. Embassy in Belmopan, telephone 822-4011. The embassy staff can assist an American with finding appropriate medical care, contacting family members or friends, and having funds transferred, as well as in determining whether any assistance is available from the victim’s home state. Although the investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help explain the local criminal justice process and assist in finding an attorney if needed.

Drug use is common in some tourist areas. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. Penalties for possession of drugs or drug paraphernalia are generally more severe than in the U.S. .

CAYMAN ISLANDS:

CRIME: The crime threat in Cayman Islands is generally considered low although travelers should always take normal precautions when in unfamiliar surroundings. Petty theft, pick pocketing and purse snatchings occur. A few cases involving sexual assault have been reported to the Embassy. Police in the Cayman Islands have alluded to increased availability of drugs and several persons have been arrested for possession with intent to distribute Ecstasy, among other drugs. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances.

ANTIGUA:

CRIME: Petty street crime does occur, and valuables left unattended on beaches or in hotel rooms are vulnerable to theft. Violent crime takes place, but tends not to be directed towards tourists. As everywhere, visitors to Antigua and Barbuda are advised to be alert and maintain the same level of personal security used when visiting major U.S. cities.

BERMUDA:

CRIME: Bermuda has a moderate but growing crime rate. Examples of common crimes include theft of unattended baggage and items from rental motorbikes, purse snatching (often perpetrated against pedestrians by thieves riding motorbikes), mugging, and theft from hotel rooms. Valuables left in hotel rooms (occupied and unoccupied) or left unattended in public areas are vulnerable to theft. The Consulate regularly receives reports of thefts of money, valuables, and passports and advises that travelers keep their hotel windows and doors locked at all times. Criminals often target transportation systems and popular tourist attractions.

Travelers should exercise caution when walking after dark or visiting out-of-the-way places on the island, as they can be vulnerable to theft and sexual assault, and because narrow and dark roadways can contribute to accidents. There have been incidents of sexual assault and acquaintance rape, and the use of "date rape" drugs such as Rohypnol has been reported in the media and confirmed by local authorities; one local advocacy group reports an increase in reporting the use of these drugs and accompanying sexual assault. Travelers should also note an increase in gang presence in Bermuda and should take regular precautions to avoid confrontation. The back streets of Hamilton are often the setting for nighttime assaults, particularly after the bars close.

COSTA RICA:

CRIME: Costa Rica attracts over a million foreign tourists annually, all of whom are targets for criminals. Theft is common. Visitors should pay particular attention while using public transportation, and not leave personal belongings in rental cars. U.S. citizens are encouraged to exercise the same level of caution they would in major cities or tourist areas throughout the world. Local law enforcement agencies have limited capabilities and do not act according to U.S. standards. Travelers should minimize driving at night, especially outside urban areas.

From December 2005 to April 2006, the U.S. Embassy in San Jose received over twenty reports of robberies on the Inter-American Highway west of town. In a typical incident, four attackers, masked and armed with pistols, would force the vehicle of the victim off the road by pulling alongside and in front. In some instances, shots were fired at the tires. Most of the victims were tourists in rental cars coming from the Juan Santamaria International Airport between 10:00 PM and midnight, and were robbed of luggage and other valuables. While there have been few reports of similar robberies since April, the perpetrators have not been apprehended. Residents and visitors should take appropriate precautions if traveling late at night on dark or isolated streets in San Jose.

Americans should avoid areas with high concentrations of bars and nightclubs, especially at night, and steer clear of deserted properties or undeveloped land. For safety reasons, the Embassy does not place its official visitors in hotels in the San Jose city center, but instead puts them at the larger hotels in the outlying suburbs. Americans should walk or exercise with a companion, bearing in mind that crowded tourist attractions and resort areas popular with foreign tourists are common venues for criminal activities. Travelers should ignore any verbal harassment, and avoid carrying passports, large amounts of cash, jewelry or expensive photographic equipment. Tourists are encouraged to carry photocopies of the passport data page and Costa Rican entry stamp on their persons, and leave the original passport in a hotel safe or other secure place.

Travelers should purchase an adequate level of locally valid theft insurance when renting vehicles, park in secured lots whenever possible, and never leave valuables in the vehicle. The U.S. Embassy receives reports daily of valuables, identity documents, and other items stolen from locked vehicles. Thefts from parked cars occur in downtown San Jose, at beaches, in the airport and bus station parking lots, and at national parks and other tourist attractions.

Travelers should use licensed taxis, which are red with medallions (yellow triangles containing numbers) painted on the side. Licensed taxis at the airport are painted orange. All licensed taxis have working door handles, locks, seatbelts and meters (called "marias"); passengers are required to use seatbelts. When traveling by bus, avoid putting bags or other personal belongings in the storage bins. At all times have your belongings in your line of sight or in your possession.

A common scam involves the surreptitious puncturing of tires of rental cars, often near restaurants, tourist attractions, airports, or close to the car rental agencies themselves. When the travelers pull over, "good Samaritans" quickly appear to change the tire - and just as quickly remove valuables from the car, sometimes brandishing weapons. Drivers with flat tires are advised to drive, if at all possible, to the nearest service station or other public area, and change the tire themselves, watching valuables at all times.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC:

CRIME: Crime continues to be a problem throughout the Dominican Republic. Street crime and petty theft involving U.S. tourists does occur, and precautions should be taken to avoid becoming a target. While pick pocketing and mugging are the most common crimes against tourists, reports of violence against both foreigners and locals are growing. Criminals can be dangerous and visitors walking the streets should always be aware of their surroundings. Valuables left unattended in parked automobiles, on beaches and in other public places are vulnerable to theft, and reports of car theft have increased. Cellular telephones should be carried in a pocket rather than on a belt or in a purse. One common method of street robbery is for at least one person on a moped (often coasting with the engine turned off so as not to draw attention) to approach a pedestrian, grab his or her cell phone, purse or backpack, and then speed away. This type of robbery is particularly dangerous because the motorcyclist reaches the intended victim at 15–20 miles per hour and often knocks the victim to the ground.

Many criminals have weapons and are likely to use them if they meet resistance. Be wary of strangers, especially those who seek you out at celebrations or nightspots. Traveling and moving about in a group is advisable. The dangers present in the Dominican Republic, even in resort areas, are similar to those of many major U.S. cities. Expensive jewelry attracts attention and could prompt a robbery attempt. Limiting the cash and credit cards carried on your person and storing valuables, wallet items, and passports in a safe place is recommended.

Burglaries of private residences continue to be reported as well as crimes of violence. Criminals may also misrepresent themselves in an effort to gain access to your residence or hotel room. In one 2005 homicide, a U.S. citizen was murdered by two men who posed as repairmen to gain access to the apartment. In another, the Dominican police arrested the building’s actual maintenance man and an accomplice for the crime. The U.S. Embassy is also aware of three cases since June 2003 in which American citizens were kidnapped and held for ransom.

Since early 2004, the U.S. Embassy has received a growing number of reports from Americans who have been stopped while driving and asked for “donations” by someone who may appear to be a police officer before they would be allowed to continue on their way. Usually, the person(s) stopping the American drivers had approached from behind on a motorcycle; several of these motorcyclists pulled up alongside the driver's window and indicated that they were carrying a firearm. In some cases, the perpetrators were dressed in the light green uniform of “AMET,” the Dominican traffic police; however, they often seemed too young to be police officers or wore ill-fitting uniforms that might have been stolen. In another incident, individuals dressed in military fatigues told the victim they were police and requested the victim to follow them to the police station prior to robbing him. Such incidents should be reported to the police and the Consular Section. If Dominican police stop an American driver for a traffic violation, the driver should request a traffic ticket rather than paying an on-the-spot fine. The driver also has the right to ask police for identification. New regulations require police to wear a nametag with their last name. While everyone driving in the Dominican Republic should abide by traffic laws and the instructions of legitimate authorities, Americans finding themselves in the aforementioned scenarios should exercise caution. In general, drivers should keep their doors locked and windows closed at all times and leave themselves an escape route when stopping in traffic in the event of an accident or other threat.

In 2006, the U.S. Embassy received reports of Americans and others who were victims of vehicular-armed robberies in the northern provinces of the Dominican Republic. At least three of the reports indicate the victims were intercepted during the morning hours, when there was little other traffic, while driving on rural highways connecting Santiago and Puerto Plata. Drivers should exercise extreme caution when driving at night and use major highways when possible.

Many public transportation vehicles are unsafe, especially the route taxis or “carros publicos” in urban areas. These are privately owned vehicles that run along certain routes, can take up to six or more passengers, and are inexpensive. Passengers in “carros publicos” are frequently the victims of pick pocketing, and passengers have on occasion been robbed by “carro publico” drivers. Urban buses (“guaguas”) are only marginally better. The U.S. Embassy is also aware of at least one incident in which the driver of a “motoconcho” (motorcycle taxi) robbed an American passenger. The U.S. Embassy cautions its staff not to use these modes of transportation. As an alternative, some scheduled interurban bus services use modern buses and run on reliable timetables. These are generally the safest means of intercity travel. With respect to taxis, visitors to the Dominican Republic are strongly advised to take only hotel taxis or taxis operated by services whose cabs are arranged in advance by phone and can subsequently be identified and tracked.

Credit card fraud is common and recent reports indicate that its incidence has increased significantly. The U.S. Embassy strongly advises Americans to restrict severely the use of credit/debit cards in the Dominican Republic. The increase in credit card fraud is particularly pronounced in the eastern resort areas of the Dominican Republic. According to reports, store workers, restaurant service staff and hotel employees may conceal devices that can instantly record the credit card information. Often, this device appears to be a normal card reader used by businesses. Credit or debit cards should be carefully protected and never allowed out of the owner’s sight. Stolen cards are often used to the maximum amount before the victims are able to contact the bank. Victims of credit card fraud should contact the bank that issued the credit card immediately. It is advisable to pay close attention to credit card bills following time spent in the Dominican Republic. There have been reports of fraudulent charges appearing months after card usage in the Dominican Republic.

Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) are present throughout Santo Domingo and other major cities. However, as with credit cards, the use of ATMs should be minimized as a means of avoiding theft or misuse. One local ATM fraud scheme involves sticking photographic film or pieces of paper in the card feeder of the ATM so that an inserted card becomes jammed. Once the card owner has concluded the card is irretrievable, the thieves extract both the jamming material and the card, which they then use. There are other ATM scams as well. Exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings when using an ATM card.

The overall level of crime tends to rise during the Christmas season, and visitors to the Dominican Republic should take extra precautions when visiting the country between November and January.

In many countries around the world, counterfeit and pirated goods are widely available. Transactions involving such products may be illegal under local law. In addition, bringing them back to the United States may result in forfeitures and/or fines. More information on this serious problem is available at http://www.cybercrime.gov/18usc2320.htm .

Beaches: The Embassy occasionally receives reports of individuals who have become victims of crime, and particularly sexual assault, while at the beach. Vigilance is recommended. The numerous “all-inclusive” resorts serve abundant quantities of alcohol, a practice that encourages inattention and may be a factor in crime or sexual assault.

Tourist Police: The Dominican Republic does have police that are specially trained to assist tourists who require assistance. This public institution is called Politur and represents a cooperative effort between the National Police, Secretary of the Armed Forces, and the Secretary of Tourism. Politur typically has personnel in tourist areas to provide first responder type assistance to tourists. If you are the victim of a crime, Politur can help you get to a police station so that you may file a police report and seek further assistance. For more information on Politur and contact information, use the following link: http://www.politur.gov.do/. Politur is located at the corner of 30 de Marzo and Mexico, Bloque D, Governmental Building, Santo Domingo. The general phone number is 809-686-8639.

HONDURAS:

CRIME: Crime is endemic in Honduras and requires a high degree of caution by U.S. visitors and residents alike. U.S. citizens have been the victims of a wide range of crimes, including murder, kidnapping, rape, assault, and property crimes. Fifty-three U.S. citizens have been murdered in Honduras since 1995, with a very significant recent increase, and most cases remain unresolved. Kidnapping of U.S. citizens has occurred in Honduras, including two incidents in 2006. Poverty, gangs, and low apprehension and conviction rates of criminals contribute to a high crime rate, including horrific acts of mass murder.

U.S. citizens are encouraged to follow local news reports and seek additional information in the resources listed above. Criminals and pickpockets also target visitors as they enter and depart airports and hotels, so visitors should consider carrying their passports and valuables in a concealed pouch. Two-man teams on medium-sized motorcycles often target pedestrians for robbery. There have also been reports of armed robbers traveling in private cars targeting pedestrians on isolated streets. The Honduran government has occasionally joint police /military patrols in major cities in an effort to reduce crime. Problems with the judicial process include corruption and an acute shortage of trained personnel, equipment, staff, and financial resources. The Honduran law enforcement authorities' ability to prevent, respond to, and investigate criminal incidents and prosecute criminals remains limited. Honduran police generally do not speak English. The government has established a special tourist police in the resort town of Tela and other popular tourist destinations, including Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula, La Ceiba, and Roatan, but the number deployed is small and coverage is limited. The San Pedro Sula area has seen occasional armed robberies against tourist vans, minibuses, and cars traveling from the airport to area hotels, even sometimes targeting the road to Copan. Armed men have forced vehicles transporting tourists off the road and robbed the victims, occasionally assaulting the driver or passengers. Several U.S. citizens have recently been murdered in San Pedro Sula and the vicinity shortly after arriving in the country. Assaults in this area may be based on tips from sources at airport arrival areas, so visitors are strongly urged to exercise caution in discussing travel plans in public.

Copan, the Bay Islands, and other tourist destinations have a lower crime rate than other parts of the country, but thefts, break-ins, assaults, and murders do occur. During a wave of home invasion robberies in Roatan in late 2005, assailants shot two foreign residents, killing one U.S. citizen. Exercise particular caution walking on isolated beaches, especially at night. Seven U.S. citizens have been murdered in Roatan since 1998, most recently in late 2005. Coxen Hole should be avoided after dark.

The Government of Honduras has a very limited presence in Northern Olancho, Colon and Gracias a Dios Departments, which are well known for lumber and narcotics smuggling and violence. Travelers in those areas should use extra caution. See the description of highways/areas to be avoided in the Traffic Safety and Road Conditions section below for details.

Incidents of crime, including carjacking and kidnapping , along roads in Honduras are common. There have been frequent incidents of highway robbery on a number of roads including Limones to La Union, Olancho (route 41) via Salama and northward to Esquipulas Del Norte. For more information, please see the section below on Traffic Safety and Road Conditions.

Travelers should always drive with their doors locked and windows rolled up to avoid potential robberies at traffic lights and other places, such as congested downtown streets. Avoid driving at night. All bus travel should be during daylight hours and on first-class conveyances, not on economy buses. Please pick taxis carefully, and note the driver's name and license number. Instruct the driver not to pick up other passengers, agree on the fare before you depart, and have small bills available for payment, as taxi drivers often do not make change.

Do not resist a robbery attempt. Most criminals have weapons, and most injuries and deaths have resulted when victims have resisted. Two foreign tourists were murdered in July 2002 while resisting an armed robbery on a public bus in which they were traveling. In 2004, an American citizen was murdered while attempting to flee an armed robbery in progress and another American was shot while resisting a carjacking. Two American citizens were murdered while resisting armed robberies in 2005.

Do not hitchhike or go home with strangers, particularly from nightspots. Whenever possible, travel in groups of two or more persons. Use the same common sense while traveling in Honduras that you would in any high crime area in the U.S.: do not wear excessive jewelry; do not carry large sums of money, nor display cash, ATM/credit cards, or other valuables you do not need.

Avoid walking at night in most areas of Honduras. Do not hike alone in backcountry areas, or walk alone on beaches, historic ruins, or trails.

JAMAICA:

CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, the violence is not confined. The primary criminal concern of a tourist is being a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of Americans have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables. Crime is exacerbated by the fact that police are understaffed and ineffective. Therefore, tourists should take their own precautions and always pay extra attention to their surroundings when traveling, exercise care when walking outside after dark, and should always avoid areas known for high crime rates. As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to avoid inner-city areas of Kingston and other urban centers, such as those listed in the section on Safety and Security, whenever possible. Particular caution is advised after dark in downtown Kingston. The U.S. Embassy also cautions its staff not to use public buses, which are often overcrowded and are a frequent venue for crime.

To enhance security in the principal resort areas, the Government of Jamaica has taken a number of steps, including assignment of special police foot and bicycle patrols. Particular care is still called for, however, when staying at isolated villas and smaller establishments that may have fewer security arrangements. Some street vendors and taxi drivers in tourist areas are known to confront and harass tourists to buy their wares or employ their services. If a firm "No, thank you" does not solve the problem, visitors may wish to seek the assistance of a tourist police officer.

Drug use is prevalent in some tourist areas. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. There is anecdotal evidence that the use of so-called date rape drugs, such as Ruhypnol, has become more common at clubs and private parties. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other illegal narcotics are especially potent in Jamaica, and their use may lead to severe or even disastrous health consequences.

Relatives of U.S. citizens visiting Jamaica and U.S. citizens who are prisoners in Jamaica have received telephone calls from people claiming to be Jamaican police officers, other public officials, or medical professionals. The callers usually state that the visitor or prisoner has had trouble and needs financial help. In almost every case these claims are untrue. The caller insists that money should be sent to either themselves or a third party who will assist the visitor or prisoner, but when money is sent, it fails to reach the U.S. citizens in alleged need. U.S. citizens who receive calls such as these should never send money. They should contact the American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy's Consular Section at telephone (876) 935-6044 for assistance in confirming the validity of the call.

ST KITTS:

CRIME: Petty street crime occurs in St. Kitts and Nevis, as well as the occasional burglary; visitors and residents should take common-sense precautions. Travelers should avoid carrying large amounts of cash and use hotel safety deposit facilities to safeguard valuables and travel documents. Travelers should not leave valuables unattended on the beach or in cars and should exercise caution when walking alone at night.

MEXICO:

CRIME: Crime in Mexico continues at high levels, and it is often violent, especially in Mexico City, Tijuana, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey, Acapulco, and the state of Sinaloa. Other metropolitan areas have lower, but still serious, levels of crime. Low apprehension and conviction rates of criminals contribute to the high crime rate. U.S. citizen victims of crime in Mexico are encouraged to report the incident to the nearest police headquarters and to the nearest U.S. consular office.

Personal Property: Travelers should always leave valuables and irreplaceable items in a safe place, or not bring them at all. All visitors are encouraged to make use of hotel safes when available, avoid wearing obviously expensive jewelry or designer clothing, and carry only the cash or credit cards that will be needed on each outing. There are a significant number of pickpocket, purse snatching, and hotel-room theft incidents. Public transportation is a particularly popular place for pickpockets. When renting a vehicle, ensure that advertisements or labels for the rental agency are not prominently displayed on the vehicle. Avoid leaving valuables such as identification, passport and irreplaceable property in rental vehicles, even when locked.

A number of Americans have been arrested for passing on counterfeit currency they had earlier received in change. If you receive what you believe to be a counterfeit bank note, bring it to the attention of Mexican law enforcement.

Personal Safety: Visitors should be aware of their surroundings at all times, even when in areas generally considered safe. Women traveling alone are especially vulnerable and should exercise caution, particularly at night. Victims, who are almost always unaccompanied, have been raped, robbed of personal property, or abducted and then held while their credit cards were used at various businesses and Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs). U.S. citizens should be very cautious in general when using ATMs in Mexico. If an ATM must be used, it should be accessed only during the business day at large protected facilities (preferably inside commercial establishments, rather than at glass-enclosed, highly visible ATMs on streets). U.S. and Mexican citizens are sometimes accosted on the street and forced to withdraw money from their accounts using their ATM cards.

Kidnapping, including the kidnapping of non-Mexicans, continues at alarming rates. So-called express kidnappings, an attempt to get quick cash in exchange for the release of an individual, have occurred in almost all the large cities in Mexico and appear to target not only the wealthy, but also the middle class. U.S. businesses with offices in Mexico or concerned U.S. citizens may contact the U.S. Embassy or any U.S. consulate to discuss precautions they should take.

Criminal assaults occur on highways throughout Mexico; travelers should exercise extreme caution at all times, avoid traveling at night, and may wish to use toll (“cuota”) roads rather than the less secure “free” (“libre”) roads whenever possible. Always keep your car doors locked and your windows up while driving, whether on the highway or in town. When in heavy traffic or when stopped in traffic, leave enough room between vehicles to maneuver and escape, if necessary. In addition, U.S. citizens should not hitchhike with, accept rides from or offer rides to, strangers anywhere in Mexico. Tourists should not hike alone in backcountry areas, nor walk alone on lightly-frequented beaches, ruins or trails.

Street Crime: Armed street crime is a serious problem in all of the major cities. Some bars and nightclubs, especially in resort cities such as Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Acapulco, and Tijuana, can be havens for drug dealers and petty criminals. Some establishments may contaminate or drug drinks to gain control over the patron.

All bus travel should be during daylight hours and on first-class conveyances. Although there have been several reports of bus hijackings and robberies on toll roads, buses on toll roads have a markedly lower rate of incidents than buses (second- and third-class) that travel the less secure "free" highways. The Embassy advises caution when traveling by bus from Acapulco toward Ixtapa or Huatulco. Although the police have made some progress in bringing this problem under control, armed robberies of entire busloads of passengers still occur.

Harassment/Extortion: In some instances, Americans have become victims of harassment, mistreatment and extortion by Mexican law enforcement and other officials. Mexican authorities have cooperated in investigating such cases, but one must have the officer's name, badge number, and patrol car number to pursue a complaint effectively. Please note this information if you ever have a problem with police or other officials. In addition, tourists should be wary of persons representing themselves as police officers or other officials. When in doubt, ask for identification. Be aware that offering a bribe to a public official to avoid a ticket or other penalty is a crime in Mexico.

It is increasingly common for extortionists to call prospective victims on the telephone, often posing as law enforcement or other officials, and demand payments in return for the release of an arrested family member, or to forestall a kidnapping. Prison inmates using smuggled cellular phones often place these calls. Persons receiving such calls should be extremely skeptical since most such demands or threats are baseless, and should contact the U.S. Embassy or closest U.S. consulate, or the Department of State for assistance. Mexico announcement: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

I would hope most people would do this before traveling abroad... but I know many don't... but here are some consular reports from the dept of state for several port areas... you can get any of this info from the Dept of State website... I would recommend that everyone check this site when traveling, just so you have an idea of areas to avoid, or the basic crime "climate" at the time... It wouldn't hurt to print out the info found here also http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/emergencies_1748.html

Hope some of this helps... no need to be paranoid, but you should always be aware. Wishing you all safe travels!

JAMAICA:

CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, the violence is not confined. The primary criminal concern of a tourist is being a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of Americans have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables. Crime is exacerbated by the fact that police are understaffed and ineffective. Therefore, tourists should take their own precautions and always pay extra attention to their surroundings when traveling, exercise care when walking outside after dark, and should always avoid areas known for high crime rates. As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to avoid inner-city areas of Kingston and other urban centers, such as those listed in the section on Safety and Security, whenever possible. Particular caution is advised after dark in downtown Kingston. The U.S. Embassy also cautions its staff not to use public buses, which are often overcrowded and are a frequent venue for crime.

To enhance security in the principal resort areas, the Government of Jamaica has taken a number of steps, including assignment of special police foot and bicycle patrols. Particular care is still called for, however, when staying at isolated villas and smaller establishments that may have fewer security arrangements. Some street vendors and taxi drivers in tourist areas are known to confront and harass tourists to buy their wares or employ their services. If a firm "No, thank you" does not solve the problem, visitors may wish to seek the assistance of a tourist police officer.

Drug use is prevalent in some tourist areas. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. There is anecdotal evidence that the use of so-called date rape drugs, such as Ruhypnol, has become more common at clubs and private parties. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other illegal narcotics are especially potent in Jamaica, and their use may lead to severe or even disastrous health consequences.

Relatives of U.S. citizens visiting Jamaica and U.S. citizens who are prisoners in Jamaica have received telephone calls from people claiming to be Jamaican police officers, other public officials, or medical professionals. The callers usually state that the visitor or prisoner has had trouble and needs financial help. In almost every case these claims are untrue. The caller insists that money should be sent to either themselves or a third party who will assist the visitor or prisoner, but when money is sent, it fails to reach the U.S. citizens in alleged need. U.S. citizens who receive calls such as these should never send money. They should contact the American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy's Consular Section at telephone (876) 935-6044 for assistance in confirming the validity of the call.

Okay, this says it all... and they are warning us about the "RISKY" areas in Kingston, NOT a private banana plantation tour you should feel somewhat safe at to bring your elderly parents and young children along...it's gotten worse, and obviously grown outside the areas we all have tried to avoid... And what gets me is not the word CRIME, but the adjective preceeding it... VIOLENT!

thanks for posting this. I did notice some of the other areas DID say there is crime, but low... again, all in comparison to Jamaica... after reading this, it sounds like a wonderful spot to vacation! :eek: (my opinion of course...:cool: )

Oh, and thanks A! :)

Really scary.

We are cruising Conquest July 1. Jamaica is our first port of call. After 2 days of cruising, I will probably be ready to get off the boat!! After having just endured this on your cruise, what suggestions would you have for the port of Jamaica?

Any excursions you recommend that may be safer than others?

Were the people reimbursed for the excursion, at least?

Any other suggestions for cruising? I am a first time cruiser, so any tips about things to do in the other ports or must -see on the ship would be helpful.

What did you do in Grand Cayman and Cozamel? (we've already done the Stingray City, what else?)

icon6.gif

Thanks.

Really scary.

We are cruising Conquest July 1. Jamaica is our first port of call. After 2 days of cruising, I will probably be ready to get off the boat!! After having just endured this on your cruise, what suggestions would you have for the port of Jamaica?

Any excursions you recommend that may be safer than others?

Were the people reimbursed for the excursion, at least?

Any other suggestions for cruising? I am a first time cruiser, so any tips about things to do in the other ports or must -see on the ship would be helpful.

What did you do in Grand Cayman and Cozamel? (we've already done the Stingray City, what else?)

icon6.gif

Thanks.

If you want to just do a beach day... go to Sunset Beach. You can find out a lot of info over on the Jamaica boards here on CC... Sunset Beach is $40 for an adult day pass... all inclusive. Great beach, great pools... really good food and drinks. We had a wonderful day there... much of the ships staff walk from the ship to SB... we opted for a taxi bus... we had A LOT of people in our party, so we got 2 busses. That IS the worst part of Jamaica to me is the taxi system... jump over to the ports of call forums and you will get other opinions on what to do... this will be my preferred destination in Jamaica from now on...

As for Grand Cayman... I always dread going here now... after you go once, it seems you have done and seen it all. So now, we just go over to Margaritaville and Senor Frogs... If you Scuba, this is a good place for it.

We do Paradise Beach in Cozumel... love, love, love it! Followed by Carlos and Charlies :D Good luck and have fun!!

Though I have been law enforcement for years, I still trust someone that is in charge, like the cruise director.

Lesson learned: Trust no one. The only person you can trust is yourself, followed by certain family and friends.

Archived