17 People robbed on Conquest Jamaica excursion

oakbend

WOW!! This person has just been through a traumatic event... do you think you could cut the claws down a little bit???? :rolleyes:

The counseling was stressed for the CHILDREN!!!! Anyone that thinks a 10 year old (or an adult for that matter) isn't going to need some counseling after being held up and robbed by people with machetes and guns, is out of their minds!!!!!

Perhaps we can all agree that "Ravekid" is nothing but a "troll". His post proves he is NOT and never has been a real Law Enforcement Officer.

Lucy, I can't agree with some of what you have said here, but thank you for this comment!

I found this editorial in Friday's Jamaican Observer.ul

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/html/20070614t230000-0500_124351_obs_lessons_from_lethe_.asp

Apologies if it has been posted before

BigD

According to this article, this tour was one of several tours scheleduled to "benefit" from extra security patrols. Well, somebody knew this tour could be dangerous and it certainly wasn't the cruise ship passengers.:mad: :mad: :mad: . Disgusting.

Perhaps we can all agree that "Ravekid" is nothing but a "troll". His post proves he is NOT and never has been a real Law Enforcement Officer.

Lucy, I can't agree with some of what you have said here, but thank you for this comment!

Re ravekid...the name says it all.

Kenneth, it's the story of your daughter that makes me so upset about this whole situation. No father should have to go through that.

I wish you and your family the best.

Me too, completely. I have 4 daughters, and I can't imagine having to deal with that situation.

Worse things have happened to people in the comfort of their own home. Safety cannot be guaranteed by anyone anywhere.

A girl from my high school was a Ted Bundy victim, their family would gladly trade places with anyone on that bus to have their daughter back. Stuff happens, I am truly sorry for those it happens to, but there are always incidents that are worse and incidents that are better.

First of all let me thank everyone with the kind comments and the ones that I do not agree with.

In my 40 years of life, I have encounter several traumatic incidents during my military and law enforcement carrees. I truly believe that knowing the effects of PTSD, has caused me to feel so terrible about my wife and kids being placed in this traumatic situation.

I am a firm believer that if a person wants to visit Jamaica, US, Iraq, Isreal, or any other place, they should be allowed to. I however, have spent my adult life in protecting citizens and preserving life.

Now that I have my own reality of Jamaica and know the possibility of crime there, I feel it is my obligation to get my story out.

I would not recommend anyone to visit any high crime area, whether it is Miami, Houston, LA, New York, or wherever.

The Cruise director made the statement that was aired over and over aboard the Carnival Conquest " our Carnival Shore Excursions are the only ones that are guaranteed safe". The Cheif Purser stated that they were now changing up his presentation to remove that statement.

There are several witnesses to this statement.

Though I have been law enforcement for years, I still trust someone that is in charge, like the cruise director.

I don't care about anything but getting the word out about what happened to the 17 people that day.

We consisted of 4 children, some older tourist, and two disabled tourist. They ambushed the most vunerable group.

I have to go for now, but I will be back to answer any other questions.

Thanks again

Thanks for sharing this with us, and give the wife and kids an extra hug for me. Take care man.

I am a 17 year veteran police officer and my family and I were with the 17 that were robbed in Jamaica.

It was my little 10 year old daughter that had an 8" revovler placed in her face as she pleaded hysterically for her life. I was helpless.

I have heard people say that this can happen anywhere, but I disagree. I don't see it happening at the Blue Bell Ice Cream Tour, or a tour of a potato farm in Idaho. I wouldn't see it happening in Grand Caymon or Cozumel. As a matter of fact, I would bet the rest of my paychecks that it will not happen there. I can see you being mugged in certain areas that are known to be high crime areas, but not 17 tourist on a tour trolley.

I NOW know that the entire Island of Jamaica is a high crime area. I wonder that if the 5th ward in Houston had a pretty beach front, would Carnival travel there and allow passengers to exit the ship after they "guaranteed the excursion safe"?

After the incident, the ship crewmembers told us that they don't get off in Jamaica because it is not safe. If the crew knows, why doesn't the Cruise Directory, who sat in the excursion program pushing the Carnival Shore Excursions as a "guaranteed safe" way to see Jamaica.

Also, if you have some unfortunate event while cruisng on a Carnival ship, REMEMBER...you are on your own. Make sure your insurance covers you outside the states. Carnival has no liability...according to them. The Crisis intervention Therapist that was sent to the ship recommended further counseling for my children and us. The carnivals Rep's only concern was " Well, how many sessions and how much will it cost?" I told her that I didn't know and she said it would be 3-4 days before she could say if they could pay for the counseling.

Before you cruise again, you need to check into the industry. It is alot more dangerous then I thought and the Cruise ships have set measures in place in order to relieve them from liability.

I do not wish to hear any "bashing comments" from anyone, unless they have witnessed there 10 year old daughter plead for their life with a gun in their face. This was something that I could never wrap my mind around until it happened.

I am thankfull that everyone returned physically safe, but my family and I will never be the same.

Thanks for listening, it does help to vent.

Kenneth

I am so sorry that this happen to you guys. I saw you all on Channel 11 earlier this week. I hope your kids are doing better and you and your wife as well:)

I agree about Houston's 5th Ward, there would be no way they would stop there. My parents are both police officers so we're definitely safety conscious.

I think the guy that was talking about a Ted bundy victim has got my point wrong. I am not saying that this incident was better or worse than another. It is obvious that anyone who has lost a love one would change places. I am grateful to still have my love ones.

My intentions are to notify any person that is not aware of the harm that can be done to them in Jamaica.

I am just sharing my experience.

Thanks

I think the guy that was talking about a Ted bundy victim has got my point wrong. I am not saying that this incident was better or worse than another. It is obvious that anyone who has lost a love one would change places. I am grateful to still have my love ones.

My intentions are to notify any person that is not aware of the harm that can be done to them in Jamaica.

I am just sharing my experience.

Thanks

And thank you for sharing your experience as horrible as it was.

I understood your point. Not even sure why some are even comparing this event to others in the first place. Trying to justify their arguement I suppose. By coming on here and sharing your experience will make some think twice now. We had been to Jamaica and had already made up our mind that we would not be going back before this incident happened. I couldn't even imagine being in your situation.....

Who knows maybe this is what it takes (sadly) for them to step up to the plate and make the tourist area more secure....

God bless you and your family...

This particular port excursion talk was taped and available in the cabins for viewing. I happened to be listening to this while getting ready for dinner and while I may not recall the talk verbatim, the CD did heavily imply if not outright guarantee the safety of the Carnival tours...I remember this because my DH and I both stopped what we were doing and looked at each other like, huh? Then, RIGHT....sure it will.

It definitely came across as a Carnival tour was the only way to ensure your safety, have no doubt! Like I said, the comment took both my husband and myself by surprise. It followed on the heels of a comment about not wanting to hear grumblings of taking Jamaica off the stops...go out there and enjoy this beautiful country and people etc. and the only way to do that safely was by booking a Carnival excursion.

Whether this is relevant or not and any legal implications aside, it was just one of those things that struck us as a very "used car salesman" type of thing to say...apologies to and no offense intended towards any salespersons out there.

I'm guessing that someone will be issuing a subpoena for the video of that port talk. I bet carnival settles with everyone on that excursion if the employee did in fact imply a safety guarantee. None of us will ever hear about it though, as those kin do fsettlements generally come with a confidentiality agreement.

When we went to Montego Bay a couple of years ago it was horrible. They were so agressive and did not leave us alone. What was very bothersome to me was the way the big cruise ship arrives in port and all of the tourists file off of the luxury liner. The amount of poverty and dispair in the natives was really sad. Then as the ship is getting ready to leave, tourists were pitching coins off the ship that the children gathered and took over the the adult males off to the side. I've never felt that way at any other port that I have ever been to. This is a very impoverished country and the people are desperate. That being said is does not excuse what happened to those on the Conquest. Me personally, even before this happened I would never go back to Jamaica. I also think as consumers that for those inclined, cancel your excursions in Jamaica and stay on the ship. That will send a message very loud and clear to Jamaica and Carnival. Does anyone know if the cruise ships get any kind of compensation from the tourism/govt. of the ports they choose?

This particular port excursion talk was taped and available in the cabins for viewing. I happened to be listening to this while getting ready for dinner and while I may not recall the talk verbatim, the CD did heavily imply if not outright guarantee the safety of the Carnival tours...I remember this because my DH and I both stopped what we were doing and looked at each other like, huh? Then, RIGHT....sure it will.

It definitely came across as a Carnival tour was the only way to ensure your safety, have no doubt! Like I said, the comment took both my husband and myself by surprise. It followed on the heels of a comment about not wanting to hear grumblings of taking Jamaica off the stops...go out there and enjoy this beautiful country and people etc. and the only way to do that safely was by booking a Carnival excursion.

Whether this is relevant or not and any legal implications aside, it was just one of those things that struck us as a very "used car salesman" type of thing to say...apologies to and no offense intended towards any salespersons out there.

Thank you for standing up to what was said on the tape that is shown in the cabins. Some have said that it was not true that he says these statements but he did over and over each day on the TV.

Thank you for standing up to what was said on the tape that is shown in the cabins. Some have said that it was not true that he says these statements but he did over and over each day on the TV.

Who has said it's not true? People have said said where CARNIVAL stands in their contract... and that if the CD said that he needs to be reprimanded or fired... and that if he said it, it'll be on the tape and they can discipline him and probably settle with the passengers... but who said it wasn't true??????????

Now, I saw a show on Carnival tonight... and they do elude to the safety because of having the licenses checked, background check, etc. But it would be interesting to see how this CD spun it.

Who was the CD by the way??

Canadian Foreign Affairs issued the following travel advisory for Jamaica:

Tensions related to the general elections expected to take place between July and October 2007 may lead to civil unrest. Political demonstrations, protests, marches, and strikes may occur at any time in the capital and throughout the country. Violent incidents, sometimes involving the use of arms, have caused casualties since the beginning of the electoral campaign. Roadblocks may occur on main roads and cause travel disruptions. Canadians should not attempt to cross blockades, even if they appear unattended. They should also avoid large gatherings and demonstrations, and monitor local news reports. Curfews may also be in effect.

Who has said it's not true? People have said said where CARNIVAL stands in their contract... and that if the CD said that he needs to be reprimanded or fired... and that if he said it, it'll be on the tape and they can discipline him and probably settle with the passengers... but who said it wasn't true??????????

Now, I saw a show on Carnival tonight... and they do elude to the safety because of having the licenses checked, background check, etc. But it would be interesting to see how this CD spun it.

Who was the CD by the way??

Well maybe you are correct that it is in there contract. Sorry I have read so much negative towards us trying to get the word out that Jamaica is unsafe and I have done so much reading on many forums.

I would love to get my hands on that tape. Carnival said they were rewording what was to be said on the streaming tape in the rooms. Mark Price was the CD.

I asked Carnival yesterday if I could obtain what the new wording was that was told to new group getting on on Sunday regarding safety and Jamaica, but she told me she did not have that information. Nor could she give me any updates as to the investigation. Basically she could tell me nothing.

First of all let me express my condolences to all of the people and their families that were traumatized by this brutal attack. I cannot even fathom standing by while my child was screaming for their life.

What I do find interesting is the lack of information about this in the press. I live in Northern California and there was a snipet about this on the 5pm news and that was the first and last I heard about it. Nothing in any other news broadcast on any other channel. I searched online to find out more information. Seems as though someone does not want this information publicized. I posted it in the carnival cruise line message board as well as the carribean message board. I have not read any responses from Carnival which is unacceptable.

I had read that supposedly Carnival was cancelling any excursions to the banana plantation. If this is true, my opinion is that this is not enough. ALL stops in Jamaica should be cancelled. The fact that none of the money was returned does not surprise me. This is a country where obviously there is a lot of corruption. How big is Jamaica? I don't imagine there are too many places where the jewelry can be fenced. It all sounds a little sketchy to me.

If Carnival does not do anything, as consumers we can send a message loud and clear - cancel your excursions in Jamaica and stay on the ship. This will get someone's attention.

I believe that Carnival has some culpability as does the tour company and possibly the plantation. Just because Carnival says that they don't have any legal responsibility does not mean that a case can't be made. Carnival is always touting how safe their sponsored excursions are. Even with signed waivers, contracts, you really can't sign away "liability". For all involved but especially the children, this will probably affect them for a very long time, if not the rest of their lives. Who will pay for the counseling? What about side effects from a traumatic incident like this. People deal with stress and trauma in very different ways, this could actually affect ones health and quality of life. Who will pay for that? I would not hesitate to contact an attorney to see what type of legal recourse there was.

Again, I hope all of the 17 passengers and their families are able to recover from this atrocity.

Bluebonnet, As we discussed at breakfast the morning after the attack, PLEASE seek legal counsel. No one can take away your right to seek what is due to you in the courts. You have a great case and imagine what this will look like to a jury!!!!

First of all let me express my condolences to all of the people and their families that were traumatized by this brutal attack. I cannot even fathom standing by while my child was screaming for their life.

What I do find interesting is the lack of information about this in the press. I live in Northern California and there was a snipet about this on the 5pm news and that was the first and last I heard about it. Nothing in any other news broadcast on any other channel. I searched online to find out more information. Seems as though someone does not want this information publicized. I posted it in the carnival cruise line message board as well as the carribean message board. I have not read any responses from Carnival which is unacceptable.

I had read that supposedly Carnival was cancelling any excursions to the banana plantation. If this is true, my opinion is that this is not enough. ALL stops in Jamaica should be cancelled. The fact that none of the money was returned does not surprise me. This is a country where obviously there is a lot of corruption. How big is Jamaica? I don't imagine there are too many places where the jewelry can be fenced. It all sounds a little sketchy to me.

If Carnival does not do anything, as consumers we can send a message loud and clear - cancel your excursions in Jamaica and stay on the ship. This will get someone's attention.

I believe that Carnival has some culpability as does the tour company and possibly the plantation. Just because Carnival says that they don't have any legal responsibility does not mean that a case can't be made. Carnival is always touting how safe their sponsored excursions are. Even with signed waivers, contracts, you really can't sign away "liability". For all involved but especially the children, this will probably affect them for a very long time, if not the rest of their lives. Who will pay for the counseling? What about side effects from a traumatic incident like this. People deal with stress and trauma in very different ways, this could actually affect ones health and quality of life. Who will pay for that? I would not hesitate to contact an attorney to see what type of legal recourse there was.

Again, I hope all of the 17 passengers and their families are able to recover from this atrocity.

Kacruiser.............thank you for your condolences. As one of the 17 I can tell you I came home from a vacation thinking I would be rested and ready to face reality again. But instead I came home with hate, anger, sorrow, and headaches of the crap I have had to deal with. Can you just say pretty much a vacation from Hell!! Dont get me wrong I had a wonderful time on the ship and at Grand Cayman and Cozumel.........but the horrific memories of Jamaica over ride any of that.

Bluebonnet, As we discussed at breakfast the morning after the attack, PLEASE seek legal counsel. No one can take away your right to seek what is due to you in the courts. You have a great case and imagine what this will look like to a jury!!!!

Hey, thanks for getting the word out so fast regarding this. I think you might have been the one to start the first thread. Just getting the word out about the dangers of Jamaica and encouraging others to cancel there excursions and stay on the ship have been most of our focus. Many things are in discussion as to what to do. All would make me happy if Carnival would pull out even for a while to send a message. But Jamaica is such a mess right now. Of course as you probably its been dead ends trying to get any updated info at least for me. My Guest Relations contact will tell me nothing at this point. We really enjoy our breakfast that morning with you and the other family!!

Yes. Definitely seek legal counsel. If your attorney can prove that the Carnival employee implied guaranteed safety, then Carnival will settle with you for a healthy sum. It doesn't undo the incident, but it may help you get past it.

I haven't read all this thread but read a few pages the other day and read the last couple tonight. My heart goes out to all of you who endured this terrible situation. I can't imagine dealing with the effects on children.

Jamaica is not one of our favorite stops. We've encountered a lot of what other posters have written about like drugs, had a pickpocket situation etc. We may be on a cruise that goes there again but may or may not get off the ship. I don't think I knew about the crime there the first time we went but I sure did by the second/third/fourth time just from reading and researching. I don't do ship tours but would have thought that if the cruise director said it was safe, I would have interpreted that to mean "safer" than being on your own. I'm too suspicious to think it would mean I was 100% safe because of what I know of the country.

We're heading to Turkey in 3 months on Carnvial Freedom. Some in the group were concerned about safety in Instanbul and Izmir who have both had their share of terrorist activity and the country borders both Iraq and Iran. I've read any and all travel advisories and while reading, I found a comment on a safe travel website that put it in perspective for me. It said, "There is no crime free place except Heaven."

This post is like the "I think I was drugged in Mexico" post for me. It brings it all to the front of the brain so we can be more aware and cognizant of the fact that we are in a foreign country and there is no crime free place except Heaven!

Well maybe you are correct that it is in there contract. Sorry I have read so much negative towards us trying to get the word out that Jamaica is unsafe and I have done so much reading on many forums.

I would love to get my hands on that tape. Carnival said they were rewording what was to be said on the streaming tape in the rooms. Mark Price was the CD.

I asked Carnival yesterday if I could obtain what the new wording was that was told to new group getting on on Sunday regarding safety and Jamaica, but she told me she did not have that information. Nor could she give me any updates as to the investigation. Basically she could tell me nothing.

Other than the one idiot poster... what negative has been posted about you?? I think you might be reading too much into things... if people still want to go to Jamaica, that has nothing to do with you.... it doesn't reflect on how they feel about you and this situation. I haven't seen where people are talking bad about you... at least not on this forum. Don't take things personally... surely everyone is sickened that this happened to you guys... except for that idiot of a kid, don't pay him any mind!!!

Mark Price generally doesn't give out bad info. I truly hope that it was more of a "way" he worded it, and a misunderstanding... but even so, if he is saying this, he needs to definitely reword how it is said.

You will probably never see the tape... unless you guys pursue this legally. But Carnival surely is reviewing things and will make sure Mark never says anything like that again :( I would imagine you probably aren't going to get the answers from Carnival that you want... they have to tiptoe because they are a huge corporation and any admittance of fault could hurt them (not saying it's right, that is just how it is)...your group may want to seek legal counsel...

I wish you luck in getting resolution, and moving on. God Bless you all!!

Archived