17 People robbed on Conquest Jamaica excursion

oakbend

It would be interesting to know what response the Jamaican Department of Tourism would give this thread? Is it against the rules of this site to send a link to them and ask for a response, or will the thread be around long enough?:confused:

I sent a link to Fred's thread the other day to Carnival and many agencies in Jamaica... I wouldn't ask them to respond here, I think that opens up too much and I highly doubt they would anyway (they would have to walk on eggshells)

I am a 17 year veteran police officer and my family and I were with the 17 that were robbed in Jamaica.

It was my little 10 year old daughter that had an 8" revovler placed in her face as she pleaded hysterically for her life. I was helpless.

I have heard people say that this can happen anywhere, but I disagree. I don't see it happening at the Blue Bell Ice Cream Tour, or a tour of a potato farm in Idaho. I wouldn't see it happening in Grand Caymon or Cozumel. As a matter of fact, I would bet the rest of my paychecks that it will not happen there. I can see you being mugged in certain areas that are known to be high crime areas, but not 17 tourist on a tour trolley.

I NOW know that the entire Island of Jamaica is a high crime area. I wonder that if the 5th ward in Houston had a pretty beach front, would Carnival travel there and allow passengers to exit the ship after they "guaranteed the excursion safe"?

After the incident, the ship crewmembers told us that they don't get off in Jamaica because it is not safe. If the crew knows, why doesn't the Cruise Directory, who sat in the excursion program pushing the Carnival Shore Excursions as a "guaranteed safe" way to see Jamaica.

Also, if you have some unfortunate event while cruisng on a Carnival ship, REMEMBER...you are on your own. Make sure your insurance covers you outside the states. Carnival has no liability...according to them. The Crisis intervention Therapist that was sent to the ship recommended further counseling for my children and us. The carnivals Rep's only concern was " Well, how many sessions and how much will it cost?" I told her that I didn't know and she said it would be 3-4 days before she could say if they could pay for the counseling.

Before you cruise again, you need to check into the industry. It is alot more dangerous then I thought and the Cruise ships have set measures in place in order to relieve them from liability.

I do not wish to hear any "bashing comments" from anyone, unless they have witnessed there 10 year old daughter plead for their life with a gun in their face. This was something that I could never wrap my mind around until it happened.

I am thankfull that everyone returned physically safe, but my family and I will never be the same.

Thanks for listening, it does help to vent.

Kenneth

It would be interesting to know what response the Jamaican Department of Tourism would give this thread? Is it against the rules of this site to send a link to them and ask for a response, or will the thread be around long enough?:confused:

I actually have the Jamaica Tourist Board Regional Directors card, Clive Taffe and Margaret Jones the Visitor Relations Manager. They came to the site after this happened to us. They assured us they would continue to find them (at least one has been killed). They have all my contact info and oddly enough no one has given me any updates since I have been back home. Which is what I figured.

I am a 17 year veteran police officer and my family and I were with the 17 that were robbed in Jamaica.

It was my little 10 year old daughter that had an 8" revovler placed in her face as she pleaded hysterically for her life. I was helpless.

I have heard people say that this can happen anywhere, but I disagree. I don't see it happening at the Blue Bell Ice Cream Tour, or a tour of a potato farm in Idaho. I wouldn't see it happening in Grand Caymon or Cozumel. As a matter of fact, I would bet the rest of my paychecks that it will not happen there. I can see you being mugged in certain areas that are known to be high crime areas, but not 17 tourist on a tour trolley.

I NOW know that the entire Island of Jamaica is a high crime area. I wonder that if the 5th ward in Houston had a pretty beach front, would Carnival travel there and allow passengers to exit the ship after they "guaranteed the excursion safe"?

After the incident, the ship crewmembers told us that they don't get off in Jamaica because it is not safe. If the crew knows, why doesn't the Cruise Directory, who sat in the excursion program pushing the Carnival Shore Excursions as a "guaranteed safe" way to see Jamaica.

Also, if you have some unfortunate event while cruisng on a Carnival ship, REMEMBER...you are on your own. Make sure your insurance covers you outside the states. Carnival has no liability...according to them. The Crisis intervention Therapist that was sent to the ship recommended further counseling for my children and us. The carnivals Rep's only concern was " Well, how many sessions and how much will it cost?" I told her that I didn't know and she said it would be 3-4 days before she could say if they could pay for the counseling.

Before you cruise again, you need to check into the industry. It is alot more dangerous then I thought and the Cruise ships have set measures in place in order to relieve them from liability.

I do not wish to hear any "bashing comments" from anyone, unless they have witnessed there 10 year old daughter plead for their life with a gun in their face. This was something that I could never wrap my mind around until it happened.

I am thankfull that everyone returned physically safe, but my family and I will never be the same.

Kenneth

Kenneth,

I thank you for coming here to tell your story. I'm sorry that you can not do so without being "bashed" or flamed. I can't imagine the terror the 17 of you felt especially the children. I wish the best.

A.

I got it ????:rolleyes: Yes, I know there is crime everywhere...I do read the newspaper daily... but, Jamaica is a terrible place for a cruise ship to stop.

We all have choices on where we cruise. Just because some people are unhappy with certain ports doesn't mean it should be removed from itenerary's. It is very simple...If you don't want to go to JA don't book a cruise that does. Same for any other destination. If we removed every world destination from iteneraries that have experienced crime there would be no where to go.

I agree that JA does have a high percentage of crime for it's size but for most part it is not directed against tourist. The JA gov and it's citizens know how important tourism is to the country and do thier best to make sure that the 1 million plus yearly visitors keep coming back.

It is sad what these 17 people experienced but unfortunately crimes like this against citizens or tourist will continue to occur on a daily basis all over the world...Including your own "backyard".

Welcome to Cruise Critic Ken, Sorry it was under these circumstances. Feel free to vent all you like. Just don't take anything too personal since you were actually involved. Some folks do come across a bit strong sometimes.

Glad the family is safe and that your home!

Kenneth

Sorry this has happened to you. I have 10 yo sons and I cannot even imagine how I would feel to see the horror you must have seen on your daughter's face. God bless you for keeping your cool. The mother bear in me would have lashed out at the gunman and probably gotten someone hurt. As parents we do everything in our power to keep our kids safe and sometimes we have to rely on what others tell us. And sometimes that isnt enough. Glad you are all safe and I hope you get the counseling because even if some think you dont need it.....yall do. Good luck!

BTW......You wont catch me anywhere near the 3rd, 4th, OR 5th Wards in Houston!!:eek:

Kenneth

Kenneth, I am sorry for what you and your family went through...

I will say that this sort of thing has happened in other places... Mexico, and it recently happened in Costa Rica (the passenger actually killed the perpetrator) But sadly, this type of thing has happened in other ports. And even sometimes it isn't about being robbed... there was an excursion bus driver that fell asleep and went off a cliff, killing a busload of people... I am not trying to minimize what happened to you, I just don't want anyone to think that the ports are "safe"... and anyone that hears that an excursion is "guaranteed" safe, needs to think again. If they find out that the director stated that the tours were "guaranteed safe", he will probably lose his job. Carnival states plainly that you are "on your own" basically... and that you as the passenger assume all risk. That THEY aren't responsible... they cover themselves, and this CD should never have said that... it's simply not true :(

Best of luck to you and your family during the recovery from this... I know it will be a long road :(

Kenneth

Kenneth so sorry for your family and the others for the terror that they ensued.. but just because you were a police office makes it no different than any other regular person on this excursion.. you were not in uniform or ready to handle such a situation.. YES this does happen to everybody.. police officers or not..

I am the daughter of a 30 yr retired police officer and I know how much being a police officer means.. but you can't be one all of the time :) Atleast you are all safe.. seek the counselling you need to move on.I hope all works out good for everyone involved.:)

For once, we are in 100% complete agreement. The Carnival employee should not have guaranteed safety, and the guests should not have believed it.

And if this presentation has been given in the past, as one poster states that he had heard the same presentation in the past.

And especially if the talks are indeed taped,

Then Carnival was, or should have been, aware of the content of the talk;

and therefore, apparently responsible for the content of the presentation.

We all have choices on where we cruise. Just because some people are unhappy with certain ports doesn't mean it should be removed from itenerary's. It is very simple...If you don't want to go to JA don't book a cruise that does. Same for any other destination. If we removed every world destination from iteneraries that have experienced crime there would be no where to go.

I agree that JA does have a high percentage of crime for it's size but for most part it is not directed against tourist. The JA gov and it's citizens know how important tourism is to the country and do thier best to make sure that the 1 million plus yearly visitors keep coming back.

It is sad what these 17 people experienced but unfortunately crimes like this against citizens or tourist will continue to occur on a daily basis all over the world...Including your own "backyard".

I don't know about you all, but MY "backyard" looks nothing like what I saw in Jamaica thank you very much. I cannot even imagine what those people went through... Kenneth, you have every ounce of my sympathy... I will NEVER preach how "there is crime everywhere"... YES, that's a given.... this forum is a warning to all about a very horrible experience. I honestly haven't read anything like this about other places. And yes, we can go on and on about other places... Aruba... Natalie Holloway?? We honeymooned there 28 years ago, would we go back? yes... it doesn't have the amount of crime etc that Jamaica does. And I'm sure there could be stories about Aruba and everywhere else... When we cruised the Mediterranean, we were "warned" about the "gypsies"...This news about Jamaica is not new... it's been going on for years... and what about every incident that wasn't reported BEFORE the internet and these boards??? Again, all of you Jamaica lovers, go for it... I think I'll stay in my nice, comfy, SAFE SC backyard! :) No guns and machettes there... just snakes and alligators! :eek:

(And, no I do not stay locked up in my backyard... i LOVE to travel... just in places i feel safe... and of course that's not a given...)

Kenneth

Hey Kenneth, its Karla. I told my story a couple days ago on here and I had also edited part of the email you sent my dad just in case you had not heard of this site before and posted it. I am appalled by some of the feelings on this board, but over all its been positive. Hope you are doing as well as expected. I still have so much anger and sorrow!!! Take Care!!

Just so people are warned... this is some info on Belize (it goes On and on and on... I know some have said that Belize is safe, but these things happen there too... if you look at the number of tourists vs violent crimes in most of these ports, the stats are very low actually, which is why you don't hear reports about this stuff):

Crimes travelers will need to watch out for include: violent crimes - armed robbery, shootings, stabbings, murder, and rape; petty crimes - theft, burglary, purse snatching, and pick-pocketing; and drug-related crimes. Stories have also come up of women who have been raped via the use of the drug Rohypnol, or, "roofies."

Travelers will encounter the most crime in Belize City, and the tourist centers, such as San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Placencia. It is also best to be careful in less populated areas and especially along the Guatemalan border.

Be especially careful during the times of year associated with high levels of tourism, the U.S.'s spring break, and the winter season, specifically around the holidays. Of course, extra caution should be taken after dark as well. Cities and rural areas are equally as problematic after dark.

With safety in mind, most travelers will avoid any problems in Belize.

http://www.belize.gov.bz/pm_speeches_june12_2006.html

http://www.belizemagazine.com/edition10/english/e10_10crime.htm

Kenneth, it's the story of your daughter that makes me so upset about this whole situation. No father should have to go through that.

I wish you and your family the best.

That really is the most heartbreaking part of this... kids should never have to experience anything like that, and for parents to have to watch their kids in that fear... truly frightening :(

If I want to see these "beautiful" places, a simple internet search will show me them. For me, beautiful is beautiful. It doesn't matter if it is Jamaica or Glacier National Park. Using your logic, I should quickly take a loan out to go and see as many specifically "beautiful" sites all over the world.

I don't need someone to tell me to be afraid. True life stories and working the street for 10 years have given me plenty.

You are not "seeing" those beautiful place. You are looking at pictures of the things that others saw. I never said anything about you rushing out to see the world just that you are denying yourself the beauty of wonderful places.

Whose true life stories are you talking about? Other people's? If so, someone has told you to be afraid.

I thought that travel agents were not to advertise here... yours has the name of your agency as well as your certifications. I can't take advice about my safety from someone who stands to make $$ from my business.

Before you make comments like that in BOLD RED, you need to read the rules. I am allowed to sign my messages with my credentials and the name of my agency. When you get on a plane and take advice from the flight attendants about your safety, the company they work for is making $$ from your business.

When the US Government tells people to avoid the island of Jamaica, then I will stop sending people there. Right now, I tell people to be cautious just like they would be in any unfamiliar place whether it is in our backyard or halfway around the world.

Of course I know that tourists get robbed everywhere, BUT, in Jamaica, there are only so many tourists on any given day taking certain excursions. Our chances of something happening, in a country which targets tourists and has a horrible crime record against tourists is MUCH greater than our chances of being a victim in a place like NYC or Miami, where there are hundreds of thousands more people for them to "choose" from.

I've been to Jamaica twice, didn't love it, didn't hate it, would go again (booked for next Nov, as a matter of fact). Still, because of this crime, and researching, I'm not going to feel as comfortable as I have in the past. I'm glad that many people here feel perfectly safe there, I respect that, just as I'd hope others would respect those of us who are a bit on edge about going there.

You are only thinking about the tourists that are there visiting from cruise ships. On days that there are no ships in port, there are still thousands of tourists staying in the hundreds of resorts. They are all taking the same tours that the ships offer.

I'm glad that you will be going back to Jamaica and I can understand you being more cautious. Being cautious is something that I stress to my clients whether it is Jamaica, St. Thomas, Rome, Skagway, etc.

It is good to see you using the word RESPECT. That is what Jamaican culture is all about. I can't tell you the number of times I have been approached by vendors of all kinds in Jamaica. I don't ignore their advances and I don't get defensive with them either. I simple tell them No Thanks Mon. I usually get a fist straight out for me to hit and get a response of "RESPECT". That is all most citizens are looking for.

Kenneth, I am really sorry that something like that happened to you and your family and that your daughter had to endure what was done to her. Please don't take my comment the wrong way. You say that you don't see this happening on a tour of the Blue Bell Ice Cream facility or a potato farm in Idaho. The truth may be that you didn't see it happening in Jamaica when you went on that tour either, but it did. Did you ever think that a gunman would kill students at Columbine or Virginia Tech? Could this happen at an ice cream factory tour? Unfortunately, yes it can.

Kenneth

My heart goes out to you and your family. What an awful experience. Try not to pay attention to those who try to make it out to be your fault .That is insane and counseling is a good thing for all victims of violent crime, young and old. Perhaps those who post with great arrogance have never heard of ptsd (post traumatic stress disorder) or don't have any idea what effect such a situation can have on someone. Try to ignore those posters and continue doing what you need to do for yourself and your family. I am sure that when you are home, you will have many friends who will be there to support you.

:rolleyes: I can definately think of a few other ways to get FREE cruise/excursion compensation than to conjure up a "story" such as this. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT Doubting whether it happened or not...I'm just saying that I find it a little hard to swallow that things happened the way that the OP stated that it happened.

BTW...I'm Glad Nothing Happened to US when we went to Jamaica.

Why do people doubt what happened? I believe that it happened the way that it is said it happened.

I found this editorial in Friday's Jamaican Observer.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/html/20070614t230000-0500_124351_obs_lessons_from_lethe_.asp

Apologies if it has been posted before

BigD

Very interesting.

And to the posters who were the victims of this crime,

What do you think of this:

As such, it seems that if - God forbid - the victims were minded to take legal action for the recovery of their assets or for the trauma that the incident engendered, they might well have a credible case for an action in negligence against those with responsibility for the tour.

It sounds like y'all might need to have a talk with a good attorney.

If only to seek compensation for the therapy the children might need...

First of all let me thank everyone with the kind comments and the ones that I do not agree with.

In my 40 years of life, I have encounter several traumatic incidents during my military and law enforcement carrees. I truly believe that knowing the effects of PTSD, has caused me to feel so terrible about my wife and kids being placed in this traumatic situation.

I am a firm believer that if a person wants to visit Jamaica, US, Iraq, Isreal, or any other place, they should be allowed to. I however, have spent my adult life in protecting citizens and preserving life.

Now that I have my own reality of Jamaica and know the possibility of crime there, I feel it is my obligation to get my story out.

I would not recommend anyone to visit any high crime area, whether it is Miami, Houston, LA, New York, or wherever.

The Cruise director made the statement that was aired over and over aboard the Carnival Conquest " our Carnival Shore Excursions are the only ones that are guaranteed safe". The Cheif Purser stated that they were now changing up his presentation to remove that statement.

There are several witnesses to this statement.

Though I have been law enforcement for years, I still trust someone that is in charge, like the cruise director.

I don't care about anything but getting the word out about what happened to the 17 people that day.

We consisted of 4 children, some older tourist, and two disabled tourist. They ambushed the most vunerable group.

I have to go for now, but I will be back to answer any other questions.

Thanks again

Archived