Crocs in the Dining Room?

LoriLinay--I'm guessing you live in a place where they might not be very popular. I see them a lot in coastal towns, Disney, cruises, or when I go to the Jersey Shore. They're very popular amongst little kids, too...so it's definitely not only overweight people.

You should definitely try a pair...not all colors they sell are "loud", and they have a huge range of different styles (if you don't like the "beach"). Since you said you have various foot/ankle/knee problems, I think you would love them!

Once you try Crocs, the saying in your signature will still hold true! :D

[quote name='LoriLinay']dak,

I've never met a croc on my foot. So I can't say I love them, yet.;) And I know people that some might say are ugly, but I love them. he-he....

I'm in the midwest and they just seem to be appearing now. From this thread it sure sounds like they've been all the rage for some time. The only ones I've seen have been colors that weren't really appealing to me personally. But I've never really looked into them. Sounds like the ones that we are seeing here, aren't the only ones out there. (Maybe only the ugly ones have arrived!!!!)

Thanks for the comfort info![/quote]

Love your byline- "Never met a shoe I didn't love." That really is my motto!

Try [url]www.crocs.com[/url] to see the different styles.

I love my "ugly shoes".

My mom came over my house today and I was wearing my old ratty BEACH crocs while I was doing outdoor work. She heard of them but never tried them and her podiatrist has them advertised in his office.

Long story short, she slipped mine on and the next thing was that I was ordering her a pair!!

I've been watching this post for some time and I couldn't stand it any longer. I just have to put my 2 cents in.

First of all, I own 2 pair of Crocs. No, I would not wear them in the dining room. In fact, I wear them around the house or in the yard.

I have thought all along that someone is probably laughing all the way to the bank on this shoe concept!!! Even the name "Crocs" is just a little bit suspect to me. LOL

Ten years from now I think we will look back and say "what were we thinking". However, in the mean time, If you think you look cute/great in them wear them whereever and whenever you want to.

I think half of how you think you look is attitude.;)

[quote name='ute_fan']

My point is, WHO CARES???? I honestly don't notice what people wear on their feet. [/quote]

People that come here care. :) People that don't care, don't bother and often don't know that this board exists.

Point is, people come here to get opinions because they DO care. Saying you don't care about fashion yet posting on a fashion board filled with people who do, is contrary to its purpose. Sort of like a non-drinker going onto a wine forum and questioning the importance of a discussion of why it matters if a chianti or a sauvignon blanc is served with a steak.

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't mean this in any mean-spirited way. You're most welcome here. But in general, when someone posts a fashion question, an answer which says, "It doesn't matter. Who cares about Fashion?" really doesn't add much to a fashion discussion.

If you read though enough posts here, you'll see that MANY of the members here proudly state that they are "shoe freaks" or "shoe-aholics" who sometimes bring over 10 pairs of shoes on a 7 day cruise and own dozens of pairs. So, you might not look at anyone else's shoes, but trust me, thousands of others on your cruise will be looking at and judging your footwear choices. :)

[quote name='ute_fan'] As long as their clothing is clean and neat, I honestly don't notice what other people have on. [/quote]

M'dear, that sentence contradicts itself. Either you notice or you don't.

[quote name='ute_fan'] To me, revealing clothing is more offensive than Crocs, but to each their own.[/quote]

Ahhh...then you do indeed have an opinion if some clothing choices are offensive to you. :)

I really don't notice what others wear on their feet. I don't normally walk around looking at the floor, so shoes just don't happen to be something that I'd ordinarily be looking at. I would notice if their clothing wasn't clean and neat, as that part of the anatomy tends to be more at my eye level. That's also the reason that what I consider unnecessarily revealing clothing bothers me more than shoe choices do. It's up in my natural line of vision, where it's a little harder to ignore.

I will admit that fashion, in general, doesn't interest me. It's the reason that I don't come to this particular board very often, except when I happen to see something on the front page of the message boards that strikes my fancy. It's also why I plan on sticking with NCL as long as I can find itineraries that interest me. I don't want to have to plan my wardrobe around what the "fashion police" consider appropriate attire.

[quote name='Jane110']People that come here care. :) People that don't care, don't bother and often don't know that this board exists.

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't mean this in any mean-spirited way. You're most welcome here. But in general, when someone posts a fashion question, an answer which says, "It doesn't matter. Who cares about Fashion?" really doesn't add much to a fashion discussion.

If you read though enough posts here, you'll see that MANY of the members here proudly state that they are "shoe freaks" or "shoe-aholics" who sometimes bring over 10 pairs of shoes on a 7 day cruise and own dozens of pairs. So, you might not look at anyone else's shoes, but trust me, thousands of others on your cruise will be looking at and judging your footwear choices. :)
[/QUOTE]

I have been reading posts on this board and other boards on this site for a long time. I started because I was going on my first cruise and was interested in learning all the ins and outs. Lately I have been reading to find out what types of clothes I might need in Alaska since I have no cold weather clothing at all.

However, I really don't notice what shoes someone has on or what type of pants someone wears. It just doesn't matter to me. So sometimes I post to offer a different point of view from the one offered by people who do care and pay attention to those things.

Take the croc discussion for example. I honestly don't see how most people (unless they are working really hard at it) notice other people's footwear. Several people are already seated so you don't see their feet. The tables are close together in the dining room so you don't see people's feet walking up to the table. Plus when I sit down I am busy reading the menu, talking to the people already at the table and ordering my food. No time to check out feet then.

first of all, I think we all need to acknowledge that Crocs is now a brand, not a style. The Beach style is no longer their sole representation and hasn't been for some time. They are constantly designing and producing shoes for all walks of life. As far as it being "a joke on us", that is as untrue a statement as the one saying that only obese people wear them.

To the person who said that they're just appearing in the Midwest, that is SO not the case. I'm a midwesterner and they've been in our market for four years. They were sold in specialty stores until some of the moderate and high end department stores in our area started carrying them.

The Wall Street Journal did a story on the company a few weeks ago and included pictures of a new line of boots they are coming out with for the fall/winter. Crocs Inc. purchased an Italian shoe company last year and is coming out with a line of fashion boots made of leather uppers with crocs footbeds and wedge heels. You can google the story and see the pictures--they are very attractive and stylish.

[quote=Shining C's;10759831]How does the width run on the Primas? I've been looking at them online, but I have a fairly wide forefoot and wondered about the fit.
What color did you get?[/quote]

I purchased the black Primas. My fashion-conscious sister told me to always select shoe color based upon the color of the bottom HEM of your clothing. This seems like good advice to me. For example, if you have a black and white flowered skirt but the hem edge is predominantly black, wearing black shoes will be less jarring to observers' eyes than wearing white ones.

As for the size, like most Crocs, the Primas are medium width but would very likely stretch to accommodate a wider foot. I'm not sure, however, you'd like the fact that such a stretch would then emphasize a wide expanse of the top of your foot. If you can, do a google search for stores in your area that carry Prima Crocs so you can try on a pair. Unfortunately, I was not able to do this because my store didn't carry more than two sizes of Primas. I usually have to order my Crocs from crocs.com, Amazon or shoebuy.

Hope this helps.
dakwriter

[quote name='ute_fan']

I will admit that fashion, in general, doesn't interest me. It's the reason that I don't come to this particular board very often, except when I happen to see something on the front page of the message boards that strikes my fancy. It's also why I plan on sticking with NCL as long as I can find itineraries that interest me. I don't want to have to plan my wardrobe around what the "fashion police" consider appropriate attire.[/quote]

I've never been on NCL but know that they have a casual attire policy. I personally prefer a casual attire policy and would do away with formal nights and I don't appreciate having to schlep formal wear on a cruise. That said, I [I]always[/I] follow the dress code when there's a formal night because I feel it's rude to the other pax not to do so.
My favorite line is Oceania which has NO formal nights.

That said, I always look at what shoes others wear whether casual or dressy. I'm not a shoe-a-holic and don't own hundreds of pair. I spend too much money on each pair and so can't afford for any to live in my closet like a lost orphan. I love my shoes and select every pair with a lot of care in terms of looks, quality and comfort. (I walk miles a day living in NYC!)

The shoes people wear, probably more than any other item, speak volumes and tell others who we are, and it's interesting "reading" people. I learn so much about people by the shoes they wear.

[quote name='Desdemona01']

first of all, I think we all need to acknowledge that Crocs is now a brand, not a style.

[/quote]

You're 100% right..... HOWEVER....

You're going to run into the same issue's as we have here about pashmina fabric.... with people thinking - and then choosing to ignore the fact, that the word "pashmina" does NOT mean "shawl".

It's a fabric, not an item! Saying "I'll wear a pashmina" means that the same thing as I'll wear a cashmere" or "I'll wear a cotton".

Good luck with this! It's a hard road! :D

Jane --

Isn't it amusing how different our interests can be? My DS, who's now almost 25, used to almost always notice the kind of shoes that the other teenage boys were wearing, and could tell you at a quick glance if they were Jordan's, or Shaq's shoes, or Kobe's. I never could figure out what the fascination was - and I still don't know, but I can see where you're coming from. I'd be the same way with "fashion" shoes for women. If I did happen to notice a pair, I'd have no idea if they were a $500 pair of Italian designer shoes or a $5 pair from Payless :D .

I do have a humerous story about the last time I noticed a pair of shoes, however. We were at a wedding here in Salt Lake for a family member. The bride who was married at the same location in a previous ceremony, came down a flight of stairs. She lifted up her very expensive looking, very frilly wedding dress, and on her feet, (which were at about my eye level) was a bright pink pair of flip-flops. I will admit to noticing those, as they seemed totally out-of place with her dress! Now, if they'd been a pair of nice, white Crocs where the color matched, I probably wouldn't have noticed.....

[quote name='Keksie']I have been reading posts on this board and other boards on this site for a long time. I started because I was going on my first cruise and was interested in learning all the ins and outs. Lately I have been reading to find out what types of clothes I might need in Alaska since I have no cold weather clothing at all.

However, I really don't notice what shoes someone has on or what type of pants someone wears. It just doesn't matter to me. So sometimes I post to offer a different point of view from the one offered by people who do care and pay attention to those things.

Take the croc discussion for example. I honestly don't see how most people (unless they are working really hard at it) notice other people's footwear. Several people are already seated so you don't see their feet. The tables are close together in the dining room so you don't see people's feet walking up to the table. Plus when I sit down I am busy reading the menu, talking to the people already at the table and ordering my food. No time to check out feet then.[/quote]

I'm not sure I get your point.

I can certainly understand coming onto this board and asking about what to wear in an unfamiliar climate. You're looking for very practical advice and tips about what to pack and what not to pack. Makes perfect sense to me.

But your other issue doesn't make sense to me. It's not about posting a different point of view, it's about posting no point of view via an "it doesn't matter" response. That was the basis of my post. i.e. if I'm wearing a blue and red dress and come on here and ask "should I wear blue or red shoes?" getting a "it doesn't matter, I don't look at anyone's feet" or "It doesn't matter, just be comfortable" is not a reply that's helpful and doesn't add to the discussion. If it didn't matter to me, I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. So if obviously does matter!

The original question here is about wearing the traditional Croc shoes to the dining room at dinner. Saying they look dressy, pretty or nice enough for dinner is an opinion (it's one that I disagree with, but at least it's a point of view). Saying that it doesn't matter because feet are under the table, or that no one looks at other shoes (yeah, right) doesn't contribute to the discussion.

By the way, as an aside, it's absolutely proven that people act different ways based on what they're wearing.
Even when my feet are hidden under the table, I feel prettier and project more confidence if I'm wearing my sexy high heel strappy sandals than if I'm in my gym shoes. Besides, DH loves when I play footsies w/ him under the dining table and it just wouldn't have the same effect in a pair of clunky, rubber garden shoes. ;)

[quote name='ute_fan']Jane --

Isn't it amusing how different our interests can be? My DS, who's now almost 25, used to almost always notice the kind of shoes that the other teenage boys were wearing, and could tell you at a quick glance if they were Jordan's, or Shaq's shoes, or Kobe's. I never could figure out what the fascination was - and I still don't know, but I can see where you're coming from. I'd be the same way with "fashion" shoes for women. If I did happen to notice a pair, I'd have no idea if they were a $500 pair of Italian designer shoes or a $5 pair from Payless :D . [/quote]

I hear ya'. The gym shoe fascintion clearly speaks to the kids status. For me, I don't "get it" at all 'cause they're all ugly! LOL!

I'll take you at your word, however, I kind of have a hard time believing that if you saw two pairs of shoes......

one pair from high quality soft buttery leather with tiny/fine stitching, a perfectly proportioned shaped heel, beautifully curved lines that hugged the foot in all the right places, with a leather sole and some nice little padding on the inner sole.
And then saw a Payless shoe of a similar style which were glued together, had a plastic sole, and cheap leather upper (or maybe not even leather)......you couldn't tell the difference?
I'll believe ya'. And it goes right back to what I originally said, people shoes speak volumes about them.
To your teenage son and his cronies, I'm not cool and I'm clueless. Of course, I really don't care what teenage boys think of me, so I won't lose any sleep over it! LOL!

[quote name='ute_fan'] I do have a humerous story about the last time I noticed a pair of shoes, however. We were at a wedding here in Salt Lake for a family member. The bride who was married at the same location in a previous ceremony, came down a flight of stairs. She lifted up her very expensive looking, very frilly wedding dress, and on her feet, (which were at about my eye level) was a bright pink pair of flip-flops. I will admit to noticing those, as they seemed totally out-of place with her dress! Now, if they'd been a pair of nice, white Crocs where the color matched, I probably wouldn't have noticed.....[/quote]

Yup, speaks volumes about the bride! Should be amusing in years down the road when she looks back at her wedding album and asks her mother how could she have let her do this on her wedding day! LOL!

My point was in response to the question as to why someone would come to this board and bother to post if they didn't care. I was trying to explain why.

I have never responded to someone asking which particular item to wear. I leave that to you and others who I am sure will give great advice. But, I do think that sometimes it is helpful to remind everyone that not everyone cares and not everyone is watching and looking. Sometimes people make it sound like the dining room is a big fashion parade. It really isn't like that at all, at least not to everyone.

I have always felt pretty and confident when dining since I know what works for me and what I feel comfortable wearing. If I am playing footsie with my husband I would slip my shoe off first, whether it is a heel or gym shoe so as not to mar his clothes or snag them.

[QUOTE]I'll take you at your word, however, I kind of have a hard time believing that if you saw two pairs of shoes......

one pair from high quality soft buttery leather with tiny/fine stitching, a perfectly proportioned shaped heel, beautifully curved lines that hugged the foot in all the right places, with a leather sole and some nice little padding on the inner sole.
And then saw a Payless shoe of a similar style which were glued together, had a plastic sole, and cheap leather upper (or maybe not even leather)......you couldn't tell the difference?
[/QUOTE]

Honestly, on someone else's foot? I'd have no clue! Maybe my eyesight isn't that great -- I did finally have to give in and get glasses -- but as long as they're in their proper place on a foot, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you took them off the feet, and set them in front of me (on the dining room table, perhaps :eek: ), then I'm sure I'd be able to. :D

[quote name='ute_fan']Honestly, on someone else's foot? I'd have no clue! Maybe my eyesight isn't that great -- I did finally have to give in and get glasses -- but as long as they're in their proper place on a foot, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If you took them off the feet, and set them in front of me (on the dining room table, perhaps :eek: ), then I'm sure I'd be able to. :D[/quote]

My husband says I can tell polyester from silk from five miles away. LOL!!! Cheap shoes are even easier for me to spot!

I love Crocs and wear them in the garden, grocery shopping and at the beach. Would I wear them in the dining room on a cruise? Probably not. Do I care if you do? Heck no! I love to wear sexy heels on formal nights, somtimes even on casual nights (with my capris, which many on these fashion threads think should not be worn in the DR).
I don't check out peoples feet in the DR, it's much more fun to look at all of the laughing, smiling faces of people just having a good time. If Crocs make you happy for whatever reason I say wear 'em. And have a ball!

Susan

[quote name='gadaboutgal']Just wondering what your thoughts are regarding wearing crocs in the dining room for casual night dinner-maybe with a cute pair of capris or a sundress?[/quote]

Go for it, just wear a cute pair of socks.

Crocs 'n' socks rocks! :p

Well, I'M certainly going to wear Crocs to the dining room with Capris. And I'm going to make sure that DH takes a picture of me.

Why? Because my granddaughters ,aged 5 & 7 gave, me a pair of silver ones for Mother's Day. They think that Crocs are absolutely the best thing going. For Father's Day, they gave their granddad , my DH, (who is 75), a pair of navy blue Crocs. They were so pleased with this gift.

Our daughter told us that they had insisted on Crocs when she took them to the store to get something for us. They chose the cololours. Apparently when she suggested that we might not like them, they told her we would LOVE them because they are so BEAUTIFUL and that grandma & pappa loved nice things..

So we definitely will be wearing them to show them how we aprreciate their love. And be happy doing so!

BTW, I'm not sure though that I'm going to go as far as my 7 year old DGD suggested.. She asked me why I didn't look like a "real grandma"; she said that all the grandmas in her story books had grey hair and that I dyed mine. She said it would be nice if I looked like a "real grandma". (Real grandmas weare Crocs from what I gather, but then one must admit that the shoes they do wear in some kiddies' lit do look a lot like Crocs)

Well, well, girls. Should I go grey orrather lobby children's books' artists to allow real grandmas to have coloured hair even if one has ,somehow or other, helped nature? Such a dilemma.....

I ten towards the second solution.

Cruise on..

Saw this article on msn today. [URL]http://www.slate.com/id/2170301/?GT1=10238[/URL]

It's all about crocs. I thought it was pretty interesting. Turns out they might not be so good for your feet after all.

Also found a website called [URL="http://www.ihatecrocs.com"]www.ihatecrocs.com[/URL] . Kind of funny.

[quote name='jhsieh']Saw this article on msn today. [URL]http://www.slate.com/id/2170301/?GT1=10238[/URL]

It's all about crocs. I thought it was pretty interesting. Turns out they might not be so good for your feet after all.

Also found a website called [URL="http://www.ihatecrocs.com"]www.ihatecrocs.com[/URL] . Kind of funny.[/quote]

There are more podiatrists and chiropractors who recommend them than those who don't. For that matter, put a group of any type of doctors in a room and see if they all agree on ANYTHING! The writer clearly had a bias and it showed throughout the article.

Good for all of you who don't like them--DON'T WEAR THEM!! The other website you posted is just a bunch of self-serving nobodies who can get their names out there by attacking something. There are too many people with personal experiences who will continue to wear their crocs, despite how much you'd like to influence them to do otherwise.

[quote name='Desdemona01']There are more podiatrists and chiropractors who recommend them than those who don't. For that matter, put a group of any type of doctors in a room and see if they all agree on ANYTHING! The writer clearly had a bias and it showed throughout the article.

Good for all of you who don't like them--DON'T WEAR THEM!! The other website you posted is just a bunch of self-serving nobodies who can get their names out there by attacking something. There are too many people with personal experiences who will continue to wear their crocs, despite how much you'd like to influence them to do otherwise.[/quote]

For the record, I am not trying to influence anyone to wear or not wear anything. You can walk around in flippers for all I care.:rolleyes: I just came across an article I found interesting, relevant to a thread on this board, and thought I'd share it. I will never understand why some people are soooo senstive about a stupid shoe?:eek:

[quote name='jhsieh']For the record, I am not trying to influence anyone to wear or not wear anything. You can walk around in flippers for all I care.:rolleyes: I just came across an article I found interesting, relevant to a thread on this board, and thought I'd share it. I will never understand why some people are soooo senstive about a stupid shoe?:eek:[/quote]

And I will never understand why some people just won't *let it go*! The haters just won't be happy until everyone is in lockstep with them, and that's never going to happen;) If you truly didn't care you wouldn't even bother yourself with your negative posts on this thread (and that's all that they've been). When I see a thread that I have no interest in, I just don't go there, instead of trying to convince people that they are wrong.
I will never understand why some people are so full of hate about a "stupid shoe".

I have worn Crocs [Cayman style] in the dining room on casual night on many a cruise.
I will continue to do so.
I find them appropriate for the venue. [I sail HAL only.]
I find them comfortable, and I actually like the way they look.

I have worn various styles of Crocs all over the Caribbean -- never had a blister or pinched toes or tired feet.
I wear them all the time at home.
I sometimes wear them to the office.

I particularly love my Disney Crocs, which are pink and white, with the little holes shaped like Mickey. I have worn Crocs all over Disney World, walking miles and miles in them, and have never had sore feet at the end of the day.

I also love my Ohio State Crocs -- go Buckeyes!

Crocs may not be everyone's choice, but so what. Wear what makes you happy. But within the dress code, of course! :eek:
Somehow I don't think we'll see cruise lines forbidding Crocs in the dining room.

Archived