QE2 "Souvenir"

3rdGenCunarder

On the 22nd October 2008 when l disembark in Southampton after 3 farewell trips, Should l be stopped for whatever reason, I rather think its best if l look heavenly:rolleyes: and then just pass out completely, it might save me no end of explanation and l will be out of it while the cases are opened and contents displayed for all to see:eek:

Myles, perhaps you should wear a clerical collar.

No- Better not, In some circles you might be considered one of the worst thieves around! <G>

Did he say that he stole it off QE2?

There would be no pride of ownership in anything I have knowing that it was stolen.

Actually, despite the joking, I feel the same way.

I would feel too guilty.

I once went home with a book that was under my purse when I checked out, and the store was closed when I realized it. That books (ironically a travel paperback) sat in my trunk forever. I could not in good conscience use it. Of course, the longer you wait to return it, the harder it is to walk in that door. And I have had some really strange looks when I have. Last time this happens (I have a big floppy purse) I "snuck " it back into the store, not wanting any hassle from people asking me why I would bring back something that did not rightfully belong to me. I don't get that attitude. and these are the store's employees. I can't be the only honest person left! Is it that rare that people look at you as if you had three heads?

Karie,

who wonders where we are heading if honesty is that rare

Although I don't do much buying anymore, I still take a look on ebay from time to time to see if any interesting liner items have been listed.

My main interest is the Queen Mary.

A while a go there was a small piece of cabin furnishing listed that the seller said his father had "smuggled" off the Queen Mary "when nobody was looking", way back in the '40s in New York.

Ebay is pretty strict :eek:

I "watch" the more interesting items, and a couple of days later the listing had been removed. And a couple of days after that it was back, with the listing being re-worded. :rolleyes:

It sold for a pretty good price.

It will be interesting to watch the QE2 listings! :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I would never steal anything, and don't approve of anyone stealing anything from the ships. I saw plenty of people grabbing those blankets when I was onboard the QE2. But, it's just once it's done, what are you gonna do? Someone's gonna buy it, it might as well be me, someone who'll treasure it and take care of it. I guess I could always 'give it back' next time I'm on board, but I guess that doesn't matter now. Speaking of which, what'll Cunard do with the few left on board? Dubai certainly doesn't need heavy steamer rugs!!

My favorite ship is the Queen Mary, too. The other Cunard blanket I have came from her. eBay, Long Beach seller, so most definitely from the sales back in the late '60's, early '70's.

I, too, have a Cunard rug that I bought in Ebay. (I think there's one on there now, asking price around $175, which is more than I paid). I bought mine from someone in England, don't know how he got it. (Didn't ask) I just remember it cost as much to ship the thing to the US as it did to buy it.

I am so glad I bought it, because now they're gone. After Cunard redid Sundeck and stopped having reserved chairs:mad: , there were no lovely lap rugs (and nobody assigned to tuck you in, either).

I too think any type of stealing is just plain nasty and selfish.

I really wanted to take the coathook from my closet on SS Norway but I didn't - I was thinking about the few cruises she had left (cross-channel with French people) and how I'd feel as a "ship fan" if any original things were gone from my cabin... or the ship... after I boarded. Sad!

And those horrible people who stole the high-style original ashtrays off the wall! Thanks to them ALL OF US could not enjoy any of them for the rest of the voyage... and later a friend of mine bought one off a dealer who admitted "pinching it" while on the voyage. (Ain't that classy?)

I think stealing things off a great liner that's has not been abandoned in a scrapyard is worse than....... well, hmmmmmm....... oh yes.... Diet Coke at breakfast! :-)

Sorry to be so "preach-y"

-Michael

There would be no pride of ownership in anything I have knowing that it was stolen.

Here here.

This thread is straying from the hypothetical to the practical. Can we return it whence it came please?

Matthew

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunardqueen

On the 22nd October 2008 when l disembark in Southampton after 3 farewell trips, Should l be stopped for whatever reason, I rather think its best if l look heavenly and then just pass out completely, it might save me no end of explanation and l will be out of it while the cases are opened and contents displayed for all to see

Hey Myles

I'd be careful if I were you - one of the men from Dubai might think you are a QE2 souvenir

Ken

Ken , Nice to hear from you!, Perhaps after all l should leave my cabin trunk at home.....

Here here.

This thread is straying from the hypothetical to the practical. Can we return it whence it came please?

Matthew

Yes, you are right! Let's stick to fantasy....

I would love to have those four statues from the Princess Grill!

-Michael

Yay! Can one still get broth ondeck at 1100, or is that only on a crossing?

PS: RE fantasy souvenir=a tender. ;)

Angela my dear - if the regulars are up there in the Pantry, you can have what you want. On your balcony at least.

They'll have been warned about you.......;)

Matthew

Angela my dear - if the regulars are up there in the Pantry, you can have what you want. On your balcony at least.

They'll have been warned about you.......;)

Matthew

Oh goody! More help getting it off and into the water. We can use it to chug up the Hudson when on our way home. ;)

You understand I am going to try my hardest to live every moment onboard to the fullest and to even try to remember how gracious things used to be? And how lucky I feel to have the opportunity to do so?

I wwant a wooden deck chair! (So I can play rearraging the deck chairs on the Titanic)

I almsot bought one the other day. they had been on sale for $100.00, but I had missed the sale. It's at a place called Mill Stores. All wooden pieces, some you finish yourself, some pre-finished. the NON sale prices was $120.00. They told me it was made of a"teak-like" wood. I forget the name. From Malaysia. They didn't look as well made as I thought they should be. And I thought it was silly spending that kind of money. I didn't really NEED one!

Then I got home and googled Teak Deck Chairs

|Mama Mia!

Anywhere form about $349 to around a thousand! Holy Cow! I should have gotten two!

So I'll put in for two of those. Not sure about the pads though. QM2's were green. not my color. And they're probably a little the worse for the wear, exposed to salt and weather and all.

Just make sure I get a couple in good shape!

With Lap Blankets

and a Steward to serve me bouillon!

Karie,

who will think of more momentarily

Some have said that patio.com has good prices on things like teak deck chairs, if you can't get the ones from the ship. No idea what is meant by "good prices" though. $349+ sounds rather bad!

With Lap Blankets

Karie,

Oh yes, the deck chair is not complete without chairside service!

A lot of the teak and teak-like furniture is expensive because it's [supposedly] harvested in a sustainable manner, as opposed to just felling every tree in sight. If you want to invest in wooden outdoor furniture, do some research about the kinds of wood being used. The reason teak was used to much is that it's close-grained and resists rot. Many of the "teak-like" woods are also rot-resistant. If you found a "teak-like" deck chair for $100 or even $120, chances are it isn't the best wood. Or, as you said, not made very well, with hardware that will rust.

I've thought about getting deck chairs, but every time I sit in one at a garden center, it feels out of place among plants and trees. Just not the same without a sea view. And then there is the issue of price...

Kathy (who settled for fake wicker instead of teak for the patio)

With Lap Blankets

Karie,

Karie,

I would skip the blanket and Boullion;)

Myles

who thinks it would be a scream to sail with Karie :D

No - you need the blanket to protect you both from the cold Atlantic winds.

As lm from Orkney, lm pretty tough. Its where Men are Men and all that...As for the boullion.. Im sure something hot ' warm inside me will be good on the Atlantic:rolleyes:

But anyway isnt this off topic... and not for this boards:eek:

As lm from Orkney, lm pretty tough. Its where Men are Men and all that...As for the boullion.. Im sure something hot ' warm inside me will be good on the Atlantic:rolleyes:

But anyway isnt this off topic... and not for this boards:eek:

Myles,

There are ladies present. Behave!

Matthew

:)

I'm quite sure that "ladies" don't come into it:)

Ladies may not come into the question, but a Gentleman, even if he was a Gentleman's Gentleman, wouldn't want to behave poorly in the presence of Ladies.

Or are you suggesting that Gentlemanly behaviour is essentially lecherousness in disguise?

Matthew

Karie,

I would skip the blanket and Boullion;)

Myles

who thinks it would be a scream to sail with Karie :D

Only if I pinch you you dear boy! And trust me, I will!

And I'll make you scream like a girl! <G>

(I know, you're thinking if it were only XXXXX saying that to me instead of "her"!)

Myles, I would be honored to sail with you! And I expect you would show me all of the insider goodies and all of the right people!

I'd say we could use the blanket to snuggle under, but I suppose we could just take turns with it under the circumstances! And no pinching my gentleman with the bouillon either!

Karie,

who thinks you are a LOVE

Ladies may not come into the question, but a Gentleman, even if he was a Gentleman's Gentleman, wouldn't want to behave poorly in the presence of Ladies.

Matthew,

I can assure you l am a gentleman, There was no hint of anything other than the boullion be suggested about:rolleyes: And if people wish to read other than that, then surely l cannot be blamed:)

Ask Karie!! she will back me up:D

Cheers

Myles

who thinks Karie and I could get off with almost anything on the high seas :eek:

guernseyguy Quote:

Originally Posted by cunardqueen

who thinks Karie and I could get off with almost anything on the high seas

Or anyone......?

Guernseyguy:eek: What kind of person do you think both Karie and myself are? May we possibly try and get this back to the original thread, Before it sinks even lower and messages start getting removed. Not that lm complaining you understand, but im already having to leave my cabin trunk behind;) whatever next will have l have to succumb to, Wearing underwear with my kilt:rolleyes: Im not even allowed to get my dirk out anymore,you might wish to re read that bit again?

Myles

who now feels taking a few napkins and hiding them in my sporran will land me in the brig (l might just be in good company )

Archived