QE2 "Souvenir"

3rdGenCunarder

These tapestries which a couple of years ago almost dissapeared in the sea because some crewmember had to get rid of their frustrations

The Mauretania model and the silver QE2 midships lobby model will do well in my living room. Some of the wonderful nautical books from the library.

I am wondering how much will end up in people's suitcases during these last voyages. I can remember seeing a documentary about Rotterdam V, the crew stripped the ship of everything loose way before the final voyage. because they were afraid otherwise the passengers might do it. They even took off the plate from the shipyard:D

I want the statue of the woman with the gulls (is that "The Spirit of the Atlantic"?) and the leather wall hanging from the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse. I like the Mauretania painting, too, but I don't have room.

Been there got the t shirt. They had a charity auction on the last leg of the World cruise (even sold the big "welcome back" sign) and I bagged a QE2 crew t shirt and a set of plates, one of which I was assured by the auctioneer had been used by Princess Di (lying sod)

So I will leave the illegal stuff to you lot.

But if I could get a hack saw aboard though.......

David.

It's this sort of item that those on the final voyages may start finding in short supply.

Plus, how many of these http://*****.com/3crwfh will find their way off the ship?

At that price it wouldn't take too many to make up the cost of the trip.

This may be the first time a ship has exrayed all of the baggage as it leaves the ship. Might make for some interesting extras on the credit card when one reaches home and gets the monthly statement.

I was on the very last ferry boat belonging to the Erie Lackawanna railroad from Manhattan to Hoboken, NJ many years ago. people were taking anything that was not nailed down but if it had screws it was fair game. Best photo op.was the gentleman in full business suit with a life preserver around his neck, a briefcase in one hand and a life boat oar in the other.

Thomas tells a story (perhaps apocraphal knowing Thomas) of a World Cruise where passengers disembarking in LA were given extra scrutiny by Customs due to a port call in Columbia. They hand searched all luggage coming off the ship, and ended up returning to the ship several large bins each of flatware, dishes and linens. This was after they discontinued the use of the Cunard logo demitasse spoons due to the loss of several hundred during a single Crossing! I have one of these spoons, though I bought it on ebay (probably from someone who stole it onboard).

Julia

First, let me say that I am NOT condoning theft.

But if you could take home just ONE thing from QE2, what would you want as your souvenir?

I've always said I would want the aerial photograph of her launch, which is located at the top of the curved stairs that extend stairway G.

The most precious items which i will take from her are my Memories of sailing on the most beautiful Liner in the World, all the wonderful times i have enjoyed onboard, all the wonderful people i have met including the staff,crew and passengers.

Regards,

Gavin

My Parents did the Norway's farewell, back in 2001 and they reported several things disappering around the ship, including the floor plan on their deck! Which they had noticed was loose!

to travel on the go you did the crown jewel which is the star gemini i think. i was on the crown dynasty in 94 which is of course the BRAEMAR for fred olsen. i'd like the model of the mauritania as well. and a stephen card painting which ones has he got on the qe2?

dave

and a stephen card painting which ones has he got on the qe2?

Many of QE2, plus portraits of many of Cunard's earlier liners.

Perhaps Mr. Card will see this thread and answer definitively.

It would be nice if the printed copies on QM2 are replaced with the beautiful originals, including the cut-off print copy of the portrait of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (which is from the original Queen Elizabeth) if it doesn't end up in Julie's home.

to travel on the go you did the crown jewel which is the star gemini i think. i was on the crown dynasty in 94 which is of course the BRAEMAR for fred olsen. i'd like the model of the mauritania as well. and a stephen card painting which ones has he got on the qe2?

dave

Seabourndt,

We did the Dynasty in 97, I think it was- Panama canal. It was the year the whole Crown Cruise line was sold, I believe, and the relationship with Commodore Cruise Lines (and their staffing- they did the staffing on the Crown Lines) was ended.

The Crown Jewel is still our favorite. The crew could not be beat, and the service and food quality were impeccable. Caviar was grand, everything was fabulous.

We even stayed friends with some crew members for a while. And were remembered on subsequent cruises!

I think our worst Cunard (and still a fabulous cruise, partly due to the people on board) was the Countess. She was an old dog. More things wrong with her than I could count, but we soldiered on- Kind of like primitive camping! you deal with it and get on with it! But we still had a great time, and crew did everything they could on problems. Couldn't do anything about the thin walls but did their best to fix the toilets, the soot bubbling up from the shower drain, etc. She was just way past her prime, and had issues to begin with. But again. We had a marvelous time. food was fab as always and service superb. Although I think that was also the one where they did not send anyone to pick us up in San Juan to get us to the airport and found our paid for air fare was booked stand by on the second portion. But that could have been TWA's fault. We had specifically booked air that time through Cunard as I had had problems the previous year in the Ft Laud airport handling everything myself. I figured to let them handle luggage and all, and I would next see it in my stateroom!

We did write a very nice letter of complaint detailing the problems, especially concerning the air mess-up (they had to leave some of our luggage behind NYC to Bradley, due to weight and move passengers around, plus take one passenger off- The plane was overweight, once we actually got on it after hours sitting around JFK, and leaving San Juan, we didn't bring much cash since we were going home and knew our transfers were paid for) they gave us money off another cruise, so we took the Dynasty Canal trip, and we were invited to sit at the engineer's table for the trip. That was loads of fun and we met some fine people there.

Here's to many more! I wish they would bring the small ships back!

Karie,

looking forward to her next Cunard trips!

But l do think Matthew and l would fight it out for the silver model... The fact that we are both on the same cruise later this year, and l will have an empty suitcase....;)

I get my wife to do any fighting required.

She fights dirty, and will cheat to win.

I don't fancy your chances........

Matthew

But if you could take home just ONE thing from QE2, what would you want as your souvenir?

Of course not..... But..... It might be interesting to review this topic after she has sailed for Dubai:eek:

Its one thing to keep a towel.... However......;)

Side note: I was on the SS Norway (ex- SS France) 's "Final Voyage" in Sept 2001 (a crossing) and folks were stealing everything... My cabin was on Viking Deck; one by one the removable (as to be cleaned) wall ashtrays in the companionway were vanishing. Finally, the crew took the remaining ones away to prevent more theft!

I really wanted to steal a coathook from my cabin (as well as the entire vanity table/mirror set!) but I refrained.... sigh.

-Michael

Does QE2 still have the classic Blue & Red "Cunard Line" steamer blankets onboard? She did in 2000, when I made a crossing. I'd grab a few of them.

I was going to grab one when I was on board, but didn't feel right about it. Then when I got home, I was looking at eBay, and some guy was selling one HE stole off the QE2! So I bought it! And somehow that doesn't seem as bad as if I'd taken it myself, y'know what I mean?

Also, I'd pull all the signs off the walls that I could find that are colored Red for port side, and Green for starboard. They don't seem to do that on ships these days, do they?

Steve - SSL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the 22nd October 2008 when l disembark in Southampton after 3 farewell trips, Should l be stopped for whatever reason, I rather think its best if l look heavenly:rolleyes: and then just pass out completely, it might save me no end of explanation and l will be out of it while the cases are opened and contents displayed for all to see:eek:

On the 22nd October 2008 when l disembark in Southampton after 3 farewell trips, Should l be stopped for whatever reason, I rather think its best if l look heavenly:rolleyes: and then just pass out completely, it might save me no end of explanation and l will be out of it while the cases are opened and contents displayed for all to see:eek:

Hey Myles

I'd be careful if I were you - one of the men from Dubai might think you are a QE2 souvenir :eek:

Ken ;)

I was going to grab one when I was on board, but didn't feel right about it. Then when I got home, I was looking at eBay, and some guy was selling one HE stole off the QE2! So I bought it! And somehow that doesn't seem as bad as if I'd taken it myself, y'know what I mean?

Did he say that he stole it off QE2?

The first Queens, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth, had thousands of these exact same blankets.

The Queen Mary auctions, where the City of Long Beach sold off almost everything, are well known. Likewise, much of the service items from Queen Elizabeth were sold.

I have one of these blankets, draped across the back of my Queen Mary deck chair in my living room. I bought from a very well-known and respected dealer of ocean liner memorabilia in New York.

Unless the person you bought your 'steamer rug' from told you it was pinched from QE2, there is a good chance that it is actually off one of the original Queens.

Unfortunately as of last January, the inventory on QE2 was down to just a few.

There would be no pride of ownership in anything I have knowing that it was stolen.

Archived