QE2 "Souvenir"

3rdGenCunarder

First, let me say that I am NOT condoning theft.

But if you could take home just ONE thing from QE2, what would you want as your souvenir?

I've always said I would want the aerial photograph of her launch, which is located at the top of the curved stairs that extend stairway G.

But if you could take home just ONE thing from QE2, what would you want as your souvenir?

I've always said I would want the aerial photograph of her launch, which is located at the top of the curved stairs that extend stairway G.

The final captain's log

I have a list of five things I'd want to take (if I ran the world and could have everything I wanted):

1. The large portrait of the Queen Mother as a young woman (in D stairs IIRC).

2. The Crossing map from behind the bar in the Chart Room.

3. The weapons console from the bridge. I did a double take when I saw it on the tour. I'm assuming it is a remnant from her time in the Falklands and no longer connected to anything ;) though the Captain's Ejection Seat button seemed very worn!:)

4. A set of chairs from the Princess Grill Bar (that place holds many fond memories for me)

and more reasonably,

5. A full tea service from the Queen's Grill lounge.

As none of these items will fit in my suitcase, I think they're safe. Hopefully they will all end up where they can be appreciated.

Julia

Well, I'll reserve judgment until I've been on board,

But I am thinking the actual ship's wheel or the telegraph (the thing which says full ahed, reverse, stop, etc) if they stillhave one, even if it's only decorative.

Or perhaps one of her whistles.

A real porthole might make a nice thing to hang your QE2 portrait on the wall behind!

But if they still have them I WILL get a QE2 teddybear. Ihave a Teddy Bear from Crown Jewel before she was solf off to Star Leo or whatever it was.

I also have some cocktail glasses with the Cunard Crown Logo that we bought that I cherish!

Anyone think they will seriously up the price of the actual souvenirs? Or mark them down so they don't get stuck with any? Or stop ordering and things will become scarce as hen's teeth?

Karie,

waiting to find out what I will cherish!

P.S. I wonder if they will sell some of the used dishes for a price, so they can use up the new stuff sitting on shelves? One line I was on (that was about to go bankrupt) did this!

3. The weapons console from the bridge. I did a double take when I saw it on the tour. I'm assuming it is a remnant from her time in the Falklands and no longer connected to anything ;) though the Captain's Ejection Seat button seemed very worn!:)

Apparently the buttons relate to engine equipment now now used.

It's "room service" I liked......

Having said that my eyes would be on the sterling silver model in the Midships lobby............

Matthew

The statue "The Spirit of the (North?) Atlantic", and a deck chair. And perhaps a humidor full of Cuban cigars from the Crystal Bar.

Richard

:rolleyes: Well, there's a really cute waiter who works...

.........ooops sorry, wrong thread. Come to think of it, wrong website!

I'll shut up now.

Cheers.

Tim - who's been up since 4 .30 this morning and is taking a quick break from looking after BBC2 today where I'm being driven mad by endless children's programmes! Scooby Doo was much better back in the 70s....

5. A full tea service from the Queen's Grill lounge.

I do gather somebody actually has a full 12 piece dinner service!

l have a few tea pots of the old Cunard style in the 80s white bone china, as well as an incabin telephone, but my pride and joy is pictured below, Bought and paid for and legally obtained i promise!

I did witness in Malaga last year being thrown into the skip a large number of the deluxe incabin folders, by the time l got down to the quayside they were all covered in rubbish.

But l do think Matthew and l would fight it out for the silver model... The fact that we are both on the same cruise later this year, and l will have an empty suitcase....;)

QE2.jpg.cae714a9ccad9d270b684c2bcddc24fd.jpg

The model of the Mauretania -- how long is it, ten feet?? -- outside the Caronia restaurant. Failing that, the silver model of QE2 herself, created by the very fine silversmiths at Asprey's. At two and half feet, much more practical.

I'm not greedy. I just want the whole ship!;)

Would they notice me not getting off at Southampton and the ship moving to Canada?

I guess I'll just have to settle for the dining room assignment card, the menus and silly stuff like that as my souvenir.

David

I did witness in Malaga last year being thrown into the skip a large number of the deluxe incabin folders, by the time l got down to the quayside they were all covered in rubbish.

This is heartbreaking, on our first cruise I really wanted one of these, it said in the cabin copy that you could buy one, and to ask your steward. I did so, but she came back and said it wasn't possible (maybe they didn't have any, I don't know?) :( :mad:

I want the silver plaque of the telegram The Queen Mother sent to her ship's ship welcoming her back after the Faulklands. That August was my first time on QE2.

(Actually, also NOT condoning theft, I imagine many people who post here already HAVE their souvenir/s. ;) )

QE2 is full of treasures.

I hope most of them will make the transfer to QM2 and QV.

A few of my favorites have already been mentioned.

So, I'll start with the bell and telegraph from the Aquitania,

A couple of the Le Corbusier chairs from the wardroom that used to be in the Queens Room and a pair of Mies Van der Rohe Brno chairs from the Princess Grill

the large painting of the Mauretania that hangs next to the jigsaw-puzzle table,

and a collection of Stephen Card paintings.

My needs are simple.

A pair of Mies Van der Rohe Brno chairs from the Princess Grill

If those chairs were of a size that would sit at our dining table (it's a big if - I think they'd be too low:( ) can I put my name down for a dozen of them?:)

If those chairs were of a size that would sit at our dining table (it's a big if - I think they'd be too low:( ) can I put my name down for a dozen of them?:)

A dozen to Malcolm...noted. :)

Though these chairs were first designed by Mies Van der Rohe in the 1920's, they are a timeless design that looks modern even today. They have been in production ever since.

I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that those on QE2 are original to the ship.

I agree that they don't make the best dining chairs, but they sure look great!

The Le Corbusier chairs, I think, showed up in the Queens Room in the 1980's. Also a timeless design from the early part of the 20th century.

Having said that my eyes would be on the sterling silver model in the Midships lobby............

Matthew

Oh, my DH would be willing to fight you for that one!

Nobody wants the Queen Mary piano?

I don't have service for 12, but I do have a few plates courtesy of my mother's quick fingers.

Archived