How Can You Be Selected to Dine at the Captain's Table?

We have been lucky enought to dine with the Captain a couple of times. It has been pleasant but I have to say the best times we have had was firstly dining on the Chief Engineers table for a whole cruise, great :D conversation and great fun:D . We didn't have to worry about formality and the booze certainly flowed. The other time was when we had one of the ents staff on the table. I struggle to remeber most evenings as they seemed to go to 4 am with way too much booze being imbibed. :D

Shipshape Sam,

speaking of lobster night, we came off the Radiance in May and on lobster night I have always ordered an extra lobster, but I was politly told that they could no longer bring out an extra lobster and only if something was wrong with my first one could we get another. Has anyone had this experience before?? The food service has really changed in the last 10 years we have been cruising with RCCL.

Based on our RCCL cruise last year, you needed to be very female, very young and extraordinarily beautiful to dine at the officer's table. The captain didn't host a dinner while we were on board but one of the other officers did. All of the women at the table that evening were gorgeous. And, at one point, the officer nearly tripped over the crippled Make-A-Wish child dining at the next table in his hurry to greet one of the beautiful women. It was all rather distasteful to watch.

Interesting. On our last cruise after one of the formal nights, we had gone back to our room after dinner, changed back into something more comfy, and then met our friends to sit outside the Pub on the Promenade for a drink. The Capt. and another of his officers, came walking down the promenade in full dress uniform with 2 beautiful women in evening gowns; they were younger, I would say late 20's to no later than mid-30's. Everyone was oooohing and ahhhhhing.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting this older thread... anyone have any suggestions for the Oasis for this one? My wife will be celebrating her 30th b-day on the new years eve cruise and I would love for us to be able to dine with the Capt.

We went on our first river cruise this summer. We were given a letter from the Captain inviting us to join him, the hotel manager and cruise manager at their table on our farewell dinner. At first we were not sure we were happy about this but it turned out to be a real highlight of our cruise. Since river cruise ships are so much smaller we had had the chance to visit with all of them to some extent before this and they were such a fun and easy bunch to talk to. It was a great night. There were three couples and we all asked how or why we had been chosen. All the captain said was "we have our ways".

Shipshape Sam,

speaking of lobster night, we came off the Radiance in May and on lobster night I have always ordered an extra lobster, but I was politly told that they could no longer bring out an extra lobster and only if something was wrong with my first one could we get another. Has anyone had this experience before?? The food service has really changed in the last 10 years we have been cruising with RCCL.

You could tell them that the first one was too small...:D

You could tell them that the first one was too small...:D

Jean.......you always seem to come up with great answers!

An interesting thread (there are many "How do I get invited to the Captains table), and was interesting reading of some that would not be honored to be invited.

We just got off of the Mariner of the Seas, and had someone that had over 50 cruises with RCCL, that actually lodged a complaint, because, at one time, any C&A D+ member with over 49 cruises had, as an amenity, a chance to dine "with an officer."

That offer has not been available for some time, but it was interesting to note why anyone would want to force an officer to dine with them.

BTW, the best way to be considered, and I must tell you that sometimes it's just not possible to dine with the captain on certain voyages, is to let the Maitre d' know that for whatever reason.....you have a desire to be at the captains table.

Then just leave it to that, and sometimes you will find an invite card in your cabin, or a call from the Maitre d', requesting your presents at the captains table.

As others have said..........it's left to fate!!;)

Rick

My 21 year old son and his girlfriend cruised on Grandeur last May and were invited to dine with the Captain on formal night. They had requested a table for two on their cruise and when they checked right after boarding they were seated at a table for ten. They spoke to the head waiter and were told that there were no tables for two available. He spoke to the Loyalty Ambassador about the problem. She not only had them assigned to a table for two, but was able to have them invited to the Captain’s table. It is an experience he will never forget and has clinched his loyalty to RCCL.

We have been invited three times and we know how it happened the first two...a very good cruise friend of ours had become friends with an officer on a ship who had been promoted to an even higher position on the ship my DH were on (you know this friend, Wolfie ;)). Both times were with the captain and another officer. The last time was on our last cruise and we were personally invited by our head waiter. I think it was just because we were good passengers and made him, and a head waiter from before, and the dining room manager smile. We dined with the hotel director that time, it was amazing...food from Chops and Portofino's.

Wine was free and free-flowing all three times. Twice was main dining (with the captains) and this last time it was second seating. Each time there was a wide varieity of guests there...no supermodels. I was once told that the most attractive woman is always seating to the right of the captain...no sure if it's true or who determines that. :rolleyes:

I was once told that the most attractive woman is always seating to the right of the captain...no sure if it's true or who determines that. :rolleyes:

Terri......we keep missing on cruising together.

Your statement about the lady being seated to the right of the Captain, the position of honor as some have come to know it.....mostly belongs to either the Captain wife, someone he has known for many cruises.

It is a wives tale, about the captain sitting with the most attractive lady.:D

Except in a few cases, and I won't discuss those!!

Jean.......you always seem to come up with great answers!

An interesting thread (there are many "How do I get invited to the Captains table), and was interesting reading of some that would not be honored to be invited.

We just got off of the Mariner of the Seas, and had someone that had over 50 cruises with RCCL, that actually lodged a complaint, because, at one time, any C&A D+ member with over 49 cruises had, as an amenity, a chance to dine "with an officer."

That offer has not been available for some time, but it was interesting to note why anyone would want to force an officer to dine with them.

BTW, the best way to be considered, and I must tell you that sometimes it's just not possible to dine with the captain on certain voyages, is to let the Maitre d' know that for whatever reason.....you have a desire to be at the captains table.

Then just leave it to that, and sometimes you will find an invite card in your cabin, or a call from the Maitre d', requesting your presents at the captains table.

As others have said..........it's left to fate!!;)

Rick

Hi Rick,

You do realize that on the most recent version of benefits this is stated - "Meal with an officer on cruises 7-nights or longer for members with 49 or more cruise credits" It's listed directly before "Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 49 or more cruise credits" which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. Yes, this offer IS still currently available according to the latest benefits.

This is a continued benefit on Radiance of the Seas and I know a couple who had it offered to them every time they were on the ship. They would eat with an officer in Chops. I can see though how it's not always possible though on ships with an unusually large number of cruisers who have 49 or more cruise credits as this past cruise had.

Gina

Hi Rick,

You do realize that on the most recent version of benefits this is stated - "Meal with an officer on cruises 7-nights or longer for members with 49 or more cruise credits" It's listed directly before "Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 49 or more cruise credits" which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. Yes, this offer IS still currently available according to the latest benefits.

This is a continued benefit on Radiance of the Seas and I know a couple who had it offered to them every time they were on the ship. They would eat with an officer in Chops. I can see though how it's not always possible though on ships with an unusually large number of cruisers who have 49 or more cruise credits as this past cruise had.

Gina

Hi Gina............and thanks for the correction.

I looked for the amenity on RCCL and could not find it.

Great finally meeting you!! I'm sorry that we could not spend a bit more time together.

Rick

Terri......we keep missing on cruising together.

Your statement about the lady being seated to the right of the Captain, the position of honor as some have come to know it.....mostly belongs to either the Captain wife, someone he has known for many cruises.

It is a wives tale, about the captain sitting with the most attractive lady.:D

Except in a few cases, and I won't discuss those!!

Aw, come on, Rick! You're bursting my bubble here! After three times there I've come to know that as "my" seat! ;) Of course, each time their wife was not aboard.

Yes, we keep missing cruising together! I guess we need to get serious planning a local meet up, IF we can find a time when one or another of us are NOT on a cruise, lol! :D

I can't help but wonder how many of the invitees are professionals such as Doctors or Lawyers. Maybe I should check off that little "Commodore" box in my profile and see what happens. :D

DH is a farmer and I am a preschool teacher. We were staying in the lowest, cheapest stateroom on the boat so the mystery continues. Maybe they felt sorry for us??

We didn't dine with the captain but in 1998 on a European cruise on the Vision, the Chief Engineer and his wife were at our table. He was Danish and as Seinfeld would say, "a low talker". His wife spoke no English at all. Yes, we had free wine and we all got a free photo but my sister said it took all of her charm to keep the conversation flowing. A few days later there were 2 extra places at the table and we thought, oh no, they are going to be back. My sister said I had to sit next to him this time. Fortunately, they didn't show.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were invited to dine at the Captain's Table last week on the Monarch. It was our first cruise with RCCL, and I really don't know why we were asked, but it was lovely evening - we were lucky enough to help celebrate one of the senior engineering officers wives birthday at the dinner. The captain wasn't in attendance, but we had three other senior officers, and they were charming company!

KC

Archived