How Can You Be Selected to Dine at the Captain's Table?

We've been invites several times and don't know why. Declined a few times ( and have the invitations in the scrapbook ) because we liked our tablemates. (Funny aside: Waiter didn't think we were assigned to his table, because we were never there, but with the captain)

Once, on Princess, wore jeans as the bottoms to my tuxedo, because they didn't make it back from the laundry. Got some funny looks at the repeat cruisers party afterwards!

So I wore jeans in the dinning room! Too Funny:D

SOMETIMES it helps to mention to the Loyalty Ambassador that this is something you would enjoy. If there is a Concierge Lounge on your ship, talk to the Concierge, also. Other than that, it's karma. :)

I agree with Merion Mom. We were invited on our last two cruises. The Concierge arranged the first one and I am pretty sure the Loyalty Ambassador or the Hotel Director arranged the last one. Other than that it's karma.

We've done it twice. I think they were both linked to being Diamond or Elite members. The first time was on the Rhapsody during a summer family cruise so there weren't that many Diamond members on the ship for competition. When we were asked we said we would only accept if our two daughters and their husbands were also invited. No problem...one daughter is a Diamond level member so that probably helped too. The second time was on Celebrity through the Loyalty Ambassador.

We were spending some leisure time in the Concierge Lounge on Splendour of the Seas enjoying a few adult beverages when the Maitre d' walked in looking around for people to dine with the Captain the following evening. There happened to be four couples in the lounge just at that moment and we were all immediately chosen for the honor.

On our last cruise our table was next to the captain's table- he only dined at his table one evening. We where told by our server that there were RC execs on board and they also dined at the table with the captain that evening.

It was interesting to be at the next table and we had TERRIFIC table mates, so the captains table would have been boring in caparison. ;)

Hmm. Maybe we'll have to ask the LA about it onboard. I think my son would really get a kick out of dining with the Captain (or with one of his officers). Plus, we'll be traveling for his birthday. (OK, maybe that's really the reason for the cruise, but it will be around the time of his b'day. :D)

But we'll be just lowly Platinum members. :rolleyes:

Hmm. Maybe we'll have to ask the LA about it onboard. I think my son would really get a kick out of dining with the Captain (or with one of his officers). Plus, we'll be traveling for his birthday. (OK, maybe that's really the reason for the cruise, but it will be around the time of his b'day. )

We were only gold members at the time we dined with Capt. Oien, plus we were only in an inside cabin at that time. Best wishes to your son on his birthday! :)

Hmm. Maybe we'll have to ask the LA about it onboard. I think my son would really get a kick out of dining with the Captain (or with one of his officers). Plus, we'll be traveling for his birthday. (OK, maybe that's really the reason for the cruise, but it will be around the time of his b'day. :D)

I've never seen a child at the captains table. I think it's for adults only, similar to the solarium. ;)

I bet my wife and I are one of the few that don't want to be invited to the captain's table on our upcoming cruise. Right now, I am studying for the bar exam and thus have been relatively absent from my family. Thus, my wife and I are sneaking away for a long weekend on the Majestey and are very excited to have "us" time. Because we have two small children who will be left with grandma, a dinner alone is a dream come true!!!

I bet my wife and I are one of the few that don't want to be invited to the captain's table on our upcoming cruise. Right now, I am studying for the bar exam and thus have been relatively absent from my family. Thus, my wife and I are sneaking away for a long weekend on the Majestey and are very excited to have "us" time. Because we have two small children who will be left with grandma, a dinner alone is a dream come true!!!

We were on Majesty in October and getting a table for two at that time was nearly impossible as very few were available. Not sure if this has changed since the ship was refurbished.

I've never seen a child at the captains table. I think it's for adults only, similar to the solarium. ;)

I thought I saw someone mentioning having children at the Captain's table, but perhaps not. He's not a wee one; will have just turned 10, but perhaps you're right.

I thought I saw someone mentioning having children at the Captain's table, but perhaps not. He's not a wee one; will have just turned 10, but perhaps you're right.

I'm sure if someone noticed a child at the captains table in the past they'll be chiming in on this thread shortly. They usually pick couples.

From what I understand, it's luck of the draw and although we have have met a number of people who have dined with the Captain, the vast majority indicated that it was nice, pleasent, etc. but nothing to write home about. I guess you could show up with a chest full of medals and your Naval mess kit for the reception line and first dinner, but you might just come off as a weirdo. ;)

We were surprised to receive an invite to dine with the captain on the second week of our B2B on Splendour. It was our first RCCI cruise and we were delighted to accept. Don't know why we were chosen - maybe because my husband was wearing a kilt. The captain also invited us to the bridge the next day and came up to see us there.

We were on Majesty in October and getting a table for two at that time was nearly impossible as very few were available. Not sure if this has changed since the ship was refurbished.

How about a table for 4 then B will wear his captains cap.

I'm sure if someone noticed a child at the captains table in the past they'll be chiming in on this thread shortly. They usually pick couples.

Ho ho Kewl - guess who's chiming in - ding dong!:D

We were on the Voyager and Capt. Gerry's best friend (he was also his best man!) was on board with wife and 11 year old son. We were invited to Capt. Gerry's table on formal night - and there was the not-so-little boy. Very well behaved, by the way!! Only time I have ever seen this!!

I am always surprised by how many people actually refuse the invitation. Its very nice - but usually quite stuffy really. If I were a Captain it would drive me bonkers - but the thought of the paycheck at the end of the month, would go a long way towards me putting up with boredom!! But then seamen must be used to being bored anyway - working on the Bridge is really boring - most of the time:D :D!!:eek:

On Rhapsody back in 2004 I thought it would be fun to learn Swedish so I could say hello to the Captain at Captain's cocktail party. He laughed and corrected my accent, but no invite to dine.

This time on Liberty, with Captain Zini, I have a new strategy that I will not divulge unless it works. Wait for my report. I will post back in September if it works. The fun part for me is the challenge of getting invited. I'm sure it would be pleasant but no real big disappointment if we don't. I have an idea this latest strategy will be successful...hint...we are from San Antonio...home of the World Champion Spurs basketball team and Manu Ginobili, from Argentina;)

On our very first Royal Caribbean cruise, my husband and I was chosen to sit at the Captain's table to our surpirse. We had no idea why. Our other tablemates and us were nervous and excited about meeting the Captain but he never showed up at our table!

Why would anyone be nervous about meeting the captain? We went to a cocktail party hosted by ours, and he referred to himself as our "driver". :)

• 2 weeks later...

In 2006, we were on the Vision, it was my 50th B-day. My husband pulled out all the stops,called ahead of time to C&A, talking to the Maitre'd, head waiter, purser and LA. Two formal nights and no invite. We had a lovely cruise. On the last night of the cruise, the Staff Captain had a formal dinner and we were invited which was a great surprise.

This year on a TA cruise on the Navigator, we were invited to eat with Captain Bang. It was a wonderful dinner. I don't know how we got invited since there were so many other diamonds on board.

Ask the worst thing that can happen that you don't get invitied.

My wife and I have been on 16 cruises and have only been selected to dine at the Captain's table once. We are really unsure how we were selected. We would really like to be selected to dine with the captain one night on our upcoming cruise in July. Any suggestions on how to make this happen? Is there anything that we can do to increase our chances at being invited? BTW, we are Diamond Members.

Not trying to be insensitive to your quest, but some people have been on considerably more cruises than 16 and have never been invited. There are thousands of cruisers out there who would also liked to be invited so having been selected one time is an honor in and of itself.:)

Sitting with the captain may not always be such a treat, depending on the captain.

We were kidding with our waiter all week last week on Explorer that we wanted to sit at the captain's table. Then we met him at the question and answer session on the last sea day. We were glad we weren't chosen. He didn't seem to be a "people person". He should just sail the boat, I think.:rolleyes:

I did notice that the captain's table has a pretty flower arrangement on it and real silverware, not the beat up stainless the rest of us eat with.

Sitting with the captain may not always be such a treat, depending on the captain.

We were kidding with our waiter all week last week on Explorer that we wanted to sit at the captain's table. Then we met him at the question and answer session on the last sea day. We were glad we weren't chosen. He didn't seem to be a "people person". He should just sail the boat, I think.:rolleyes:

I did notice that the captain's table has a pretty flower arrangement on it and real silverware, not the beat up stainless the rest of us eat with.

Seems the OP considers it a treat since they're hoping to do it again.

Archived