QE Transatlantic Dec 2004: tips/ thoughts

Gary B

My partner and I are off on our 1st proper cruise, the transatlantic crossing on 15 December from Southhampton to NYC. We are going on a short cruise over the holiday weekend end August (with P&O Aurora for 4 nights). I have always wanted to go on the QEII and am very excited. Can any people give us any thoughts and tips on what to expect, prepare etc. We are going Queens Grill level (although that is probably the wrong way of expressing it). I am 45 and my partner is 35.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I did the crossing last Dec, and thought I'd be bored out of my skull.

But there is always alot happening everywhere on the ship, and the toughest thing is choosing what to do.

It was even pretty calm last year, no big waves, no storms, nothing. Very mild in the mid 50's and sunny most of the time.

Hi Gary

After that crossing, you can say I'm hooked!

The best thing for me was spending all those days at sea doing nothing. It's a nice way to get aquainted with your fellow pax.

I'm kinda hoping to go again in Dec.

Just hope a miracle comes my way! LOL

Catch ya soon

:-D

Gary,

You will not be short of things to do...apart from the lectures and guest talks the other pax on a Transatlantic tend to be very interesting - many ship enthusiasts - and then there is the QE2 herself with all her quirks and idiosyncracies - see if you can work out which were the original Tourist, Cabin and First Class staircases and lobbies. Also why is there a wall across the middle of the D Staircase on Upper deck? Can you find the Princess Grill Bar (which all pax can use). And finally, sailing into New York....You'll have a great time!

Peter

Peter

Thanks for that posting... you do now have me intrigued. Defnately something I will look out for! I read your posting about the original design and how it was changed and I look forward to seeing it for myself!!!

Gary

Hi Gary,

My DH, Dennis, and I are also booked on the Dec. 4 crossing. This is the third time we have booked Dec transatlantic and have never been able to go. Let's hope we make it onboard this time. Really looking forward to this. Been on 7 other cruises, but the North Atlantic, in the winter, on the grande dame of ocean liners, has got to be the best. We booked cabin 2004, right in the bow. If the seas are calm, we will be very disappointed. We want to rock and roll all the way to NYC. Hoping we see a 90 ft. wave, even though the Captain may not be so happy about that.

We are flying into Amsterdam on the 9th. My DH went to Amsterdam last December and really liked it. Since I have never been there, we decided to make it a holiday. And then we will fly out of NYC to home (AZ) on the 23rd. Have to see NYC in all it finery (and I have an office there, so will make my monthly business trip coincide)

Maybe we can arrange a get together on board. Let me know

Gina

I was on that cruise with Vic the Parrot, here is my review:

FLAVOR:

I both love and hate the QE2 and Cunard at the same time. What they do well they do beautifully like no other. What they do badly the screw up royally.

CUNARD SCREW UPS:

Problems began with getting me my tickets only 6 days before my flight out, and this required 3 phone calls and a promise to post the idiocy on all the message boards. The service in the Mauritania restaurant was not fit for a Dairy Queen much less a Cunard Queen. It is the WORST I have had of any cruise. The dinner service had well meaning but incompetent waiters. On the first night I was asked to share a menu with a table mate. One waiter had BO on occasion. Lunch and breakfast service was abysmal and made NCL and Regal look really good. Orders would get screwed up, courses arrive out of sequence, and they would run out of basic items. I do have to say the food was tasty, especially the desserts. The cuisine however was not very imaginative.

Ships HVAC had 2 settings: 90^f and 30^ f with no in between.

THE SHIP:

She is a nautical Jaguar. QE2 is full of both wonderful and maddening quirks at the same time. Her exterior design is beautiful. The forms and surfaces are like the Loveboats and the RVL trio albeit enlarged. Her original interiors were done in 1966 London Mod. Over time, the mod got toned down to an interior theme which is a visual happy meal. Decor is neither innovative nor offensive. The only distinctive room is the Queens Lounge with the 1966 London Mod white fluted columns and coffered ceiling.

Going between decks is another story. She has 9 stairtowers of which 8 of them go to only some decks, skip over a few, change configuration to become a habitrail so when you exit you do not know if you are going forward or aft in a hallway. It has the complexity of the New York City subway system. With 6 sea days I could figure them out if not interested in other activities. Ship had space age décor with 1920’s space planning.

She really shines like no other with her incredibly stable ride. I0’ white caps and 20 knot winds gives the gentlest of motion that helps me sleep. For 2 days we had 20’ swells where the waves would crash over the bow [saw from bridge cam, forward observation deck closed off.] the ship would gently heave, but no sound was heard. The sensation is more of pitching than rolling, like a porpoise. Unsecured closet doors would swing open and shut. I walked holding the rails, by the next day I was used to the motion and walking regularly. From the dining room to the other side, I could see the ship rock, first all sea, moving horizon, then all sky and back again, but did not feel it. The SSNorway had the same ride motions, but with more amplitude and faster frequency.

Her connection to the sea is magnificent. Every public area has an ocean view. There is no traditional enclosed promenade, but I did not miss it since that space is opened to the rest of the ship and plenty of comfortable chairs next to the windows to look out of. Most of her public rooms are smallish hideaways unlike the SSNorway and Pacific Princess which are a succession of grand spaces.

The buffet area has a line that zigzag’s in the wrong direction. There is a fence to keep you in the cattle chute, and you cannot see what is ahead to skip over food you do not want to eat. Since the dining rooms have great picture windows I did not use the buffet area. On many ships where the dining room is a windowless cavern below decks, I use the buffet simply because I like to watch the ocean while eating.

QE2 has a great sense of intimacy that I did not think could be found on a big ship. The SSNorway only 10% bigger has little sense of intimacy. Intimacy to me is a function of passenger density, not size of the ship. Regal Empress is 1/3 the size and stuffed with 1100 passengers offers none at all.

PEOPLE AND CRUISE FORMAT:

This was the BEST group of passengers I ever have been with. Crossers and cruisers are different breeds. Winter time crossers tend to be eccentric and adventurous. To want to cross the North Atlantic in the winter you have to be [me included]. Not everybody on board was wealthy, however most were well educated. Many were QE2 repeat passengers which created a sense of camaraderie and an institutional memory. All knew how to have fun. There were lots of liner loonies too. Noted travel writer Ted Scull was on board, and Stephen Card: noted maritime artist.

Some complained the weather was too calm and wanted 50 knot gales and 50’ waves. We sailed between 2 storms. The outdoor temp was 50^f most of the time and people were using the outdoor pools. The gym was crowded every morning with many seniors doing serious work outs. This ship did not have the typical red-neck, blue hair, big butt, big gut, glutton gambler cruise passenger stereotype.

Everybody on board was very friendly. If tables at tea were near full, it was OK to ask to join, and if people ask to join me I always obliged. The result was great Left Bank conversation. Pomposity and standoffishness are looked down upon.

I had been recognized as Desirod by 2 people; not by what I look like, but by certain maritime clothing and ship conversation. Internet is a small place.

Passenger complement was

1000 Americans

400 British

90 German

40 French

30 Canadian

rest from all over.

The Pied Piper partial gay and lesbian charter was 25 people. I counted 100 gay people overall. We all seemed to find each other. Ages were 20-80. It was nice since we had our own section of the dining room guaranteeing good table mates. Overall it was a very low key atmosphere and everybody blended with all and not one inch of intolerance. If you told someone you were gay: "yea, there was a Tuesday last week" and continued conversation

Cunard had French and German social host/hostess's. Announcements were made in 3 languages. I found the French passengers a friendly delight and very interesting conversationally. I was told if was in France, my politics would be right of center LOL.

One was a businessman/philosopher my age. We ate breakfast every morning together and were the last to leave the dining room. British were reserved unless drunk. I ate lunch regularly with a spunky septuagenarian Glaswegian couple who were fascinating people.

The Germans traveling alone were friendly, but those in groups or couples tended to keep to themselves and not mingle. I did befriend a young lawyer. There were many singles and the age breakdown was about 75% over 60, and about 10 passengers under the age of 20. My group ran the age gamut.

A priest and a rabbi were on board. QE2 does have a synagogue. Church services were in the Theatre. One activity was a joint lecture by the priest and rabbi on people of different faiths coming together.

CAPTAIN’S PARTY AND FORMAL DRESS:

I though I would hate it, but I really don’t mind. On the QE2 there were several passengers in Scottish Kilts, one Napoleon uniform and several other vintage military outfits. If I realized I could have been creative Hmmmmmm;-) The Captains party was like a Fellini movie: taking place in the space age Queens Lounge, the bordello velour furniture, and the vintage costumes was a strange confluence.

ACTIVITIES:

The cruise format was made for me-SUPERLATIVE. Again what the QE2 does well is superlative and what it does badly is horrid. The library and book shop are second to none. It has many maritime books, and did not get a chance to finish all I wanted to read. Crossing had a Science Fiction theme which had several lectures on the Cosmic Watergate-coverups of aliens visiting Earth. Ted Scull gave two interesting lectures. Other speakers were Seth Stoshak, Max Arthur, Herbert Appleman, and Stanton Friedman. There was a classical music concert, and loved the afternoon teas with the harpist.

Overall I truly enjoyed myself. It is great to come home refreshed, showered, wearing clean clothes and not jetlagged and would definitely cross again. I can forgive the ship’s quirks, but not Cunard for simple shortcomings so easily rectified by other cruiselines.

Desirod

Wow! Thanks for the very detailed and thorough posting. It was very interesting to read and get all your tips and thoughts! I really appreciate you taking the time out to do that. It strikes me the more that I hear from and read the QE2 postings that the ship does bring out a passion and as you say a certain type of person as passengers - and I am really looking forward to going and meeting people. Everyone talks about how great the people are! My partner has gotten over any concerns about seasickness after everyones comments too -a nd showing them that video someone had posted of "the big wave" actually helped not put them off!

Thanks again,

Gary

Ditto to all Desirod said. A few more things:

- You'll love the beds and the duvets! Comfy and unique. They also have a pillow consierge.

- Passengers are as friendly as Desirod noted. The ship attracts very interesting well-traveled people, so take as many opportunities as you can to chat. I travel solo so I enjoy meeting interesting people.

- Check out a book from the library to buy one from the bookstore. Best activity on ship is a good book and a comfortable seat along the windows to watch the ocean. If the weather is decent, find a place out of the wind.

- About 3:30 pm, find yourself a prime seat along the windows next to the Queens Room for tea. Don't miss the scones. Wonderful!

- There are plates of candied ginger for seasickness as you exit the dining rooms after dinner. Stock up.

Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Gary, you and the person you constantly refer to as "my partner", does he have a name? will have a fabulous crossing. We first sailed on the QE2 in October 2000, from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton via Bermuda and Madeira (Funchal), in fact that was our first cruise ever. Believe it or not, we immediately upon returning home, booked a cruise from Honolulu to Auckland, New Zealand a couple of months later in January 2001. Then, we repeated that in January 2003 and we are off again next January. You are quite right that the QE2 becomes an addiction and you will find dozens of fellow passengers who are making their umpteenth voyage on her and will be delighted to talk about their previous experiences.

DON'T MISS the afternoon teas in the Queens Lounge. White gloved servers gliding about, usually to a musical accompaniment, pouring brewed tea into porcelain cups and offering thin sliced cucumber, cress, or tuna sandwiches and delicious cakes, not to mention the scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam....God I'm drooling as I type !!

Bryan

Hawaii.

Bryan - thanks for the tips! My partner is called Mark. The teas were probably the big selling point in getting him to get really excited about the QE2. We are already constantly looking at the 2005 brochure looking at where to next. We would love to do the Carribean and there looks to be a few QM2 options there.. Although for Xmas and New Year 05/06 there is a fantastic QE2 trip in Europe that sounds fantastic..... Gary

Make sure you are up on deck (preferably the Sun Deck) by about 5:15 am to make sure you don't miss the Verazanos bridge. The ship never comes in early, I discovered, because the port dock workers don't start work until 7:00 am. Any ship coming in earlier won't get its ropes caught if they were to try to throw them to dock workers. Last crossing I did, we were coming in early so the captain slowed us down to a crawl for several hours so as to waste some time.

I don't know what time the sun will rise that time of year, but watching it come up on your way into NY harbor is a great experience.

One experience not yet mentioned, and that's sailing under the Narrows Bridge and up the Hudson into the Port of New York at dawn. Dress warm, and be ready for a "lump in the throat" experience.

This cruise, at Christmas, with the "lump in the throat" feeling and NYC all decked out, will really mean Christmas to me.

This cruise is SOOOO special. NYC is my favorite city in the world at Christmas. And to be able to sail under the Verrazano Bridge, up the Hudson will be icing on the cake. The whole ambiance of this experience is palpable.

I can hardly wait. After we disembark, we are going to see the Rockettes at Radio City. Is that not the cliche NYC Xmas experience? Any one else interested? And before we leave NYC and head back to the desert, dinner at the Rainbow Room. Maybe Per Se, if we can get reservations.

Gina

Gina - what a fab idea. The Radio City Xmas Show with the Rockettes is fab. Just the right level of tackiness, schmultz and some great fun. I have seen it twice and the last was year before last and loved it. As you say NYC at Xmas will be a great end to the crossing. We are heading off to washington as neither of us have been there - although just the other day we were wondering if we should have stayed for a bit in NYC. I go there about every 6 weeks for work but still being there at Xmas (and with my partner instead of work) would be fun.... Gary

Hi Gary,

Great minds sure work alike. We are heading into Washington before we fly to Europe. I haven't been to Washington for almost 5 years. With the new WWII memorial and all the security stuff, it should be an interesting couple of days. I just hope it doesn't snow. Washington with snow is miserable. NY, at Christmas, with snow is perfect!!!

Our paths must cross at various times. I am in NYC once a month for business. We have an office in the Bronx. And I too, was at the Rocketts 2 years ago, Dec. 20. My DH hates that kind of stuff, loves Nascar, college football, and boxing. But he finally said he would go this year, if I didn't ask him to go shopping. One Christmas spent in Bloomie's was enough for him, although all he did was watch football with all the other neglected? husbands. So I guess a carriage ride through Central Park, Rocketts, and a nice dinner are enough for me to bug him about.

I can go Xmas shopping by myself. I do it every year. Schedule my NYC trip the week of Christmas, indulge myself for a couple of days after a couple days of work, ride the subways, watch the guys play streetball down in the Village, go to a club or two, send all the presents Fed EX, and usually fly home on the 23rd or 24th. So long as I am home by 7:00PM Xmas eve, I am on cloud nine. I love the hustle and bustle on the streets in NY, the hustle at the airport, and everyone is usually VERY cheery. This will be the BEST Christmas!!!

You'll have a great trip! My partner and I did the crossing last year for my birthday, and now will use that trip as a benchmark for all other cruising. In the grill restaurants, the service and the food were wonderful- the Maitre d' really outdid himself for my birthday-tableside prepared buckwheat blinis with smoked salmon and beluga caviar, and a HUGE Baked Alaska with fireworks shooting from the top for FIVE minutes- not sure what my partner had to do for that!;) It was so large that we shared it with the tables around us!

But we had a truly memorable cruise because of the people. We met great friends and we're still communicating regularly now, more than a year later. I agree with whoever posted that the person who chooses a Transatlantic crossing is a "different breed" than the regular cruiser, especially one in December- I'm very jealous of your trip. We just got back form a 13 day Transatlantic cruise on Celebrity, and it was wonderful, but not like our crossing last year!

We're looking into a QE2 Norwegian Fjord cruise next Spring/Summer, and wish that she was still doing the regular summer crossings. Someday, we'll give the QM2 a try, but the QE2 was the best.

On a hopefully helpful note, we were not informed that the grill restaurants had a more strict dress code than the Caronia and Mauritania Dining Rooms. We were actually told we didn't need a tie for the first and last nights by our travel agent, and again on board by the purser's office. We'd been hiking in Scotland before the crossing and decided that we would save packing room by not bringing ties , as we had our tuxedos and plenty of bow ties and shirts for the formal nights. Fortunately, we'd packed sportcoats for a nice dinner in Edinburgh (and, honestly, I never travel without a blue blazer, thus the screen name:D ), but had to buy $10 silk ties in the gift shop (not really ones to my taste, either) for the first and last nights in the grills. The Maitre d' was very insistant about this, and perhaps gave us the only unpleasant experience on the entire crossing- the purser's office and the chief purser were very apologetic, and sent wine, but did insist that ties be worn, even though it was the purser's office that gave us the bad information.

Archived