QE Transatlantic Dec 2004: tips/ thoughts

Gary B

I was just thinking about the great time I had on the Zenith
with the high seas we had. Sure, it's kinda 'uncomfortable' for a few, but I'm like a few of the other members here.
We LIVE for big waves, and stormy seas!

The Zenith was bounced around like a little toy boat in a toddlers bathtub. I'm wondering how the QE2 will behave in 20-30 ft swells. I've seen that discussed many times here, but never experienced it for myself.

Ahh, the life of an old salt!

:-D

Apparently the materials for the Dec crossing have arrived! A courier delivered them at home today... signed for by Mark. I can't wait to get home... He has amazing self discipline, saying he will not be opening them until I get home from work... I couldn't have done that...... Gary

The materials are quite nifty I thought. All bound in a little booklet. Very smart!

I am sure that we never sent in a registration form, I found one on the USA Cunard site but there was not one on the UK site and we definately never sent one in... so not sure what that means. But sure if they need somethign they will come chasing!

Gary

Hi gang

Since there will be quite a number of us in London before the crossing, I was thinking on having all of us get together for a casual pre-crossing gathering at a local pub.

Nothing fancy ... no name tags, or what have you, but a festive gathering of all 'Cunardites'. Everyone who sailed on the QE2, or QM is invited to come along, and share thier stories and experiences on the 'Most Famous Liners In The World'

I'll be scouting for a convenient locale, and a hub that'll be easy to find. So far, I can think of 1 place that has good eats, and good imbibements. The Albert on Victoria St in Westminster.

Ask a few people, and they'll tell you I've spent many hours there enjoying thier fare! (But don't get too personal....)

I'm thinking of the night before we set sail, but the night before before (13Dec) would work as well.

We'll get to know everyone, as well as taking up half of the room with fellow CC'rs to enjoy each others company.
I'm sure the pub manager won't mind a hearty group of Cruise Critic members hogging up part of the room!

Cast your votes here, so I can get a head count of those attending. I'll be looking forward to meeting you all!

cheers!

vic

Vic, is the Albert at the corner of Victoria Street and Budkingham Gate Road, surrounded by modern buildings? I ask because I was once supposed to meet someone at the Red Lion in SW1, only to find there are three Red Lions in SW1, not a chain, just three pubs with the same name in the same postal code, and I never didn't find the right one in time.... I love London, and always find myself in the most fascinating places, but have to admit they are not always the places I set out to find.

Have theatre tickets on the 13th, but currently free the evening of the 14th!

[quote name='signman']Richard, I think there is a copy of "Grand Saloon" in the QE2 library. Sometime during the crossing I'd like to show you the passage that always brings tears to my eyes, although the words are actually those of Frank Braynard, but quoted by Brinnin.[/QUOTE]
I'd be interested to see which passage you are referring to, Signman. See you aboard.

yes see you all there, i live in london. seems all of you are actually going on the qe2 you lucky people. unlike me have a few things to say about them. as i should be onboard her right now. but was treated badly by them. 1 day before i leave was told she was overbooked and my cruise was cancelled. will get a full refund, when i wonder as 2 weeks now???
a free cruise on qe2 next year. but i'm just so sad at the moment. have written again tio my t/a who don't seem to care?? every time i see that sjhip i have bad feelings i'm very sorry? i hope by our meet that i will be over it and looking forward to the free cruise hopegfully in july 30th. going on costa victoria 24th nov for 6nights and black watch dec 17th, so looking forward to them.
david

ps after a delayed qm2 trip in april i have a cruise cert what am i supposed to use that for. would'nt have hurt them to lewt me use it as onboard credit or an upgrade. but no they want me to book another cruise????

[QUOTE]

ps after a delayed qm2 trip in april i have a cruise cert what am i supposed to use that for. would'nt have hurt them to lewt me use it as onboard credit or an upgrade. but no they want me to book another cruise????[/QUOTE]

Hi Dave

You never mentioned what the cert is good for.
I'm sure there are certian stipulations as to how it can be used. Should be some info on the back, or somewhere in the fine print. If not sure, i'd call Cunard or ask your TA.

Let me know how you make out.

vic

yes here it is.its worth £374 off a future cruise. originally was for cunard and seabourn. but as the free cruise i can't use it as its already free. was hoping cunard would let me use it as an onboard credit on the ship. or as an upgrade. but as usual cunard would not.
lookijng forward to meeting up on 14th. i really do envy you. are you just goimng to new york on the qe2 what sort of cabin do you have?
when does it actuially lve?
david

[quote name='Vic The Parrot']Hi Ken

That's right, it's on the corner of Victoria and Buckingham Gate.

So far, the 14th works for a few of us.
It'll be a pleasure meeting you as well!

vic

:-D[/QUOTE]
How convenient! My hotel is on Buckingham Gate, so I'll just stroll down the road and see y'all there.

Kyle
waiting not so patiently for my final docs...

[quote name='Gary B']I hope to join you all for a drink, but looks like I am going to be in belgium on the monday and get back on Tuesday evening before we head off so may not.. Gary[/QUOTE]

Gary! My goodness, Belgium?
Well, I guess you'll just have to have us all up to 8 deck for cocktail hour one evening...
Say, do you realize that the bathroom in your QG suite is about the same size as my entire 'lil MI cabin? [img]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon11.gif[/img]
If we don't see you in London, we'll see you on board!

Kyle

[quote name='Vic The Parrot']Hi Kyle

you wouldn't happen to be staying at the St James by any chance?

That's where I'm booked. I'm arriving that Sunday morning.[/QUOTE]

How about that? I'm arriving Monday, so leave a message for me at the desk!
[img]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif[/img]
I made a mistake by scheduling a Monday arrival, I wish it was Saturday or Sunday, as it seems now that there is not enough time to do everything I need to, such as seeing local friends, raising a little Yankee heck in Soho [img]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif[/img]
Well, it'll be a busy couple of days!

I like the St. James very much, I stayed there May '03 for a week prior to a crossing.

See you at the St. James then, Vic!

Kyle

Archived