QE Transatlantic Dec 2004: tips/ thoughts

Gary B

Sorry, no, it was the Constellation, although the Fall '05 Gallaxy is also on our "possibilities" list. I wrote a two part review of the Constellation, which you could most easily access by going to my profile, and clicking on "Threads started by this poster" or whatever they say there.

Have fun

Thanks for the heads up on the ties. We noticed that when we were looking at the information in the emabraking/ disembarking booklet we got were it said there will be on transatlantics 4 formal and 2 informal - with informal meaning ties. Good excuse to buy new ties, as although I wear a suit to work everyday it is without a tie and altho have a pile....... Gary

i have done two crossings on the QE2 where first and last nites were informal (meaning jacket and tie) and all other nights formal. i am about to embark on the QM2 monday to do a round trip crossing (with time in paris in between) but the policy here is different. 2 formal, 2 informal, 2 casual. personally i prefer the policy on the QE2. it evokes the past and if i have to bring a tuxedo why not wear it as often as possible? plus it saves packing an extra suit.

to all of you going in Dec this year ....... GOOD LUCK!

Seen the weather here, and the meteorologist confirmed that our friend from the Pacific will be back creating chaos once again.

Heatwaves in SF (told ya that town was going to Hell), blizzards in the NY metro area, and a nice bumpy ride on the crossing!

Godspeed to those booked in the pre-fab apartment block on top of the ship. Bring earplugs........ or ask the steward to put foam rubber in the corners of the room.

I'll be on the QE2 (first time!) for the December crossing. Does anyone know if there will be any special lecturers/speakers for the crossing? Since she's not the flagship anymore, I wonder if they'll do that for infrequent crossings..

Howard - these sound GREAT! I have read some reviews on various sites by people commenting about the talks that people from your society have given on past crossings which gave rave reviews! So we are looking forward to that.

How long before we all get the embarking etc documents... Gary

Hi Gary,

I'm really enjoying your blog!

It reminds me of the months leading up to my first voyage on QE2, I was obsessed with finding every little morsel of information on her. I spent hour after hour searching the internet, I was buying books, brochures, videos, and I spent hours staring at the QE2 brochures and deckplans.

It was almost all I talked about at work, and luckely, the folks at work shared my excitement and endulged me. (At least they pretended to!) ;-)

I share your excitement for your first QE2 voyage, as I'm sure the rest of us do!

Although some of the old-timers may not want to show it, I think everyone is always excited about sailing on QE2 again. I've met people who have crossed/cruised QE2 dozens and dozens of times (there are many) and their enthusiasm never wanes. (This crossing will only be my 5th time aboard her)They always love to welcome a newcomer to the club.

Gary, welcome to the club!!

kj

Oh, another thought,

On my first crossing, last night out, melancholy took over as I packed my suitcase. I stayed up late, walking all over the ship trying to take it all in one last time. The ship is very quiet then as everyone has to be up early. My thoughts were "Well, this was a great one-time experience, I did it, I crossed the Atlantic on the QE2. Now I can always say that I've done it."

Of course the very next morning, very EARLY the next morning, the melancholy was erased and replaced by the amazement of the spectacular arrival in New York City. Truely something to behold.

(make sure your camera batteries are charged, this is not the time for them to die on you!)

Later that morning as I disembarked, I realized that I cannot walk away from this ship without knowing that I will be sailing on her again. I promptly (as soon as I could) booked another crossing for only six months later. And then another, and another still...and a couple of cruises...

Trust me, she's contagious.

kj

Lovely blog, Gary! While I don't generally comment on other people's emotional involvement, it's fairly predictable that on December 15th you will find yourself falling head over heels for QE2. Think of all your research and collecting as foreplay, and you get the idea.

The posts above are the first I have heard that the Ocean Liner Historical Society folk will be on board, and I'm very excited to hear it. Ted Scull, Bill Miller and others were speaking on the December 2002 crossing and it was a highlight of the trip.

Hey Gary

I was wondering if you found "The Only Way To Cross" by John
Maxtone-Graham. This book provides the true essence of a trans-At, with many detailed things of what to expect.

Many good tidbits in those pages, so I heartily recommend it!
You'll find that book in the library/bookshop on board the QE2.
I'll 'lend you a hand' in selecting other titles as well!

Not sure if I spend more time on deck, or in that shop.
Someone is going to have to keep tabs on me!

Be good!

vic

:-D

Gary, I second Vic's recommendation of The Only Way to Cross. The book's more about the history and experience of crossing rather than a particular ship, and it helps explain--at least a little--why so many of us are so excited.

Best,
Chris

Done!! Thanks for the reccomendation. Went onto [url="http://www.abebooks.com"]www.abebooks.com[/url] and ordered a copy... I think I may have tooooo many QE2 related books now. Mark groans as each day seems to bring something new...... Gary

I managed to get my hands on the "The Only Way to Cross" video. It is presented by John Maxtone-Graham and is partly shot on board SS-Norway. The video is badged by NCL, not sure when it was shot but it was before the Norway got her ugly hat, so probably early 1980s.

The camera work and production is sometimes less than perfect but the content is excellent. There are some great pictures of Normandie, such a great ship, and a good deal of info on Cunard and the Hamburg America Line. Much the same as in the book.

It is probably the best single video I have seen, and I have too many liner videos! Other classic video is "Floating Ocean Palaces", also worth getting if you get the opportunity.

Jon - thanks for those suggestions on videos. I looked them up online and they do sound great. Could not find them on amazon or other sites. I guess i need to keep an eye out on eBay. Where in the UK can you suggest that I may have overlooked? Gary

Archived