Princess ships trivia

sailorJo

For all of you who are curious about the Princess ships and its crews, here's some trivia I picked up during a tour of the bridge on the Grand:

1) did you know that the 1100 members of the Grand crew are of 45 different nationalities?

2) crew members spend 4 months at sea and 2 at home;

3) crew members of each professional category train in specialized training schools of their sector all aver the world. The navigational crew, for example, trains in London one month each year;

4) the engine rooms take up the entire decks 1, 2 and 3;

5) only 8 feet of this humungous ship lie below water (incredible, isn’t it?)

6) when running in autopilot, which is most of the time, the ship can run its entire course independently without human intervention, though normally two officers are on constant watch (I should think so!);

7) the Grand produces enough energy to supply the whole island of Cozumel if it were necessary;

8) in the engine room there is a very sophisticated desalination plant that draws water from the sea, desalts and purifies it for drinking and everything else (having drank would you have believed it?)

2) crew members spend 4 months at sea and 2 at home;

5) only 8 feet of this humungous ship lie below water (incredible, isn’t it?)

Actually, it depends on the crew members. Some have 6-mo contracts, some have 9-mo contracts. I'm not quite sure why there's a difference or who has what kind of contract. As for the 8' below water, makes me kind of shudder to think how much is ABOVE the waterline on a Grand-class ship. I know it's stable but this is one reason why Grand-class ships don't ride in the water as well as the older, smaller ships which are designed more like liners.

Actually, it depends on the crew members. Some have 6-mo contracts, some have 9-mo contracts. I'm not quite sure why there's a difference or who has what kind of contract.

Hi Pam,

How was the move? All settled in?

The country of origin dictates the length of contract. For instance the Philippines allows for 10 months, Romania 9, South Africa and most other European country 6. With each getting about 2 months off before their next contract. Of course they can extend the contract or shorten the break which they often do to get the ships or itineraries they prefer.

The "featured" entertainment staff is completely randonized.

Also, the new Captain's schedules are 3 months on 2 months off. ;)

It is definitely "incredible", because it's wrong.

It's actually more like 8 metres: the Wikipedia article about the ship quotes 26 feet, which is close enough to 8 metres.

I'm pretty sure the officer I spoke to said 8 feet, but of course he could have made a mistake, being himself European and used to thinking in metres:( . Thanks for specifying.

It is definitely "incredible", because it's wrong.

It's actually more like 8 metres: the Wikipedia article about the ship quotes 26 feet, which is close enough to 8 metres.

Globaliser is correct. Next time you go ashore notice the markings on the bow at the waterline that indicate the displacement in feet, usually over 20+ feet of the ship under water.

Mike:)

He was most likely taking of metres. A ship like Grand Princess would have about 28 feet in the water.

Some crew do four month tours but not many, mostly bridge crew. Other officers do 6 months and 2 off and the lower end Filipinos do usually 10 months on 2 months off.

Also the engine room takes up a lot of space but not all of those decks as there are cabins on those decks (I've been there as I am crew.)

Officers presumably are upper end.

I should imagine the term lower end might be analagous to Enlisted Men in the military services.

We must maintain the separation of superiors/managers and workers!!

Magandang hapon,

Sorry that should have read lower end and Filipinos, the reason I said that is because lower end crew members meaning cabin stewards, garbage workers waiters etc. work longer contracts because it's cheaper to fly one person in than three over a shorter period. Also the Filipinos generally have 10 month contracts even if they are officers because the agency they work for makes them all work 10 months. No derogatory comment was intended, I have many friends who are from the Philippines.

Maraming salamat po!

Hi Pam,

How was the move? All settled in?

Flying with four cats across the country was stressful, to say the least. I've been "camping out" for a week until my "stuff" arrives tomorrow. Other than that, everything's great; no problems that throwing money at won't solve. Sheessh! Can't wait for my own bed, though.

Flying with four cats across the country was stressful, to say the least. I've been "camping out" for a week until my "stuff" arrives tomorrow. Other than that, everything's great; no problems that throwing money at won't solve. Sheessh! Can't wait for my own bed, though.

Oh man. Hang in there girl. ;)

Archived