Question Re:Post Cruise Hotel FLL 10/10/04

Annies Porch

Hello! Thanks to this board, I have done some research and I got the Sheraton Airport pre-cruise for a great price through Priceline and that location works fine for us. But, we have decided we would like downtown area post-cruise due to shopping, restaurants, etc.

Have tried $75 for 3* for the last week or so with no luck. From everything I have read on here that does not seem unreasonably low for that location and category. Just wondered if there is some big event going on that weekend that makes it more difficult to book a room. Or am I just being cheap?...:) Don't have a problem with paying more, but wanted to get some input before I go any further. Thanks so much for your help.

Caribbean Princess 10/2/04

Bid Ft. Lauderdale Beach Area, then click on Resorts Only, then bid between $85.00 and $100.00, you will get the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, the reason being it's the only Resort that Priceline uses for that area. It's one ofthe surest bets on priceline for booking a hotel in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

Once booked call and ask for a Pool View room, there you will also be able to see the Atlantic Ocean, the pool, and also the cruise ships from your balcony.Have a great time, it's a wonderful resort.

http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage/FLLSB

Don't forget When bidding for the Marriott on the Beach...........Do not bid on any stars....just click where it says RESORT !!! Nothing else!!!:)

Good Luck, lets us know how you make out

P.S.......You are aware that the Sheraton hotel you got is not cancellable right, so if you pick another hotel through Priceline you will still be paying for 2 hotels right? Just want you to know that before you start bidding again.

Jimbo:)

Hi:) I was thinking the same thing as Jim posted....when you use Priceline, you cannot cancel.......when you said you wanted to stay somewhere else. Did you actually bid and have your bid accepted on the Sheraton?

You don't want to have to owe for 2 hotels....and only stay at one of them!:eek:

Good Morning All, I have been trying Priceline for awhile, different dates. Nothing due to boat show. I don't know about 10/10, but 75 for 3* sounds fine. Checkyor other boards for what people are getting. Also check biddingfortravel.c. They have a forum that will help with what is being accepted. Good Luck Beej

Hi:) I was thinking the same thing as Jim posted....when you use Priceline, you cannot cancel.......when you said you wanted to stay somewhere else. Did you actually bid and have your bid accepted on the Sheraton?

You don't want to have to owe for 2 hotels....and only stay at one of them!:eek:

Hi! No, I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. We have NO problem with the Sheraton - that is PRE crusie and we don't want to cancel it! Our problem is POST cruise - Sat 10/9. I have checked other threads as well as biddingfortravel and it seems people have had no problem getting downtown 3* for $75 or under, even in Ocotber, but that particular weekend has not been mentioned. - mostly a general statement about booking in October. That's why I wondered if something is going on the weekend of 10/9. Thanks again....Carol

Thanks! I actually tried the beach zone first, including the resort that has been mentioned, and no luck there either. I have actually decided that we would really prefer downtown. The resort that has been mentioned sounds awesome but I think being able to walk around easily (or water taxi) would be better for us on Saturday afternoon and evening. My husband is REALLY going to be depressed about flying back to his work situation and I think that just relaxing and being more secluded on a beautiful beach looking at the ocean would make it worse.

I realize that may not make sense to most, but having been married 35 years, I know my husband and I don't think the relaxing beach/pool scene would be good for him on that Saturday and he is such a wonderful man I want to make the transition as smooth as possible...:). We also don't really want to rent a car or have to take a taxi to a mall, etc. Have never been to FLL, but sounds like the downtown area would give us more variety as far as moving around and keeping him busy. Total "newbies" here, so maybe I am wrong about the area.

Still haven't located any posts on these boards about anyone staying POST cruise on that particular weekend...:(

Also Annie, The FLL Beach, 3* Doubltree Galleria suites is in a good spot for shopping (Mall next door) and the water taxi stops at it's back door. It is just a 2 block walk to the beach. Their suites are huge too. That weekend is Columbus Day holiday weekend. Did you check out the convention bureau web page to see if there is a major convention or attraction going on? I know its too early for the boat show. As a back up, you could check out valuetrips.com, for the Amerisuites. Although only a 2.5 star transfers to the hotel and airport as well as continental breakfast are included. It is about a 4 block walk to the Marriott Marina and the water taxi. It is OK for a one night's stay and may be canceled if you don't have to give a credit card number.

Bon Voyage

Well, I'm starting to get discouraged. Even tried Travelocity and Expedia and checked availability on a couple of the nicer hotels and they are have no available rooms for that Saturday. All of my options on Priceline are up for the next 72 hours but I will try again. Attempted to make a reservation with Amerisuites through valuetrips.com as Nana suggested for a backup and they have not sent me a confirmation (said they would send it within 24 hrs- it has been almost 3 days) - so I'm assuming they have no rooms. Maybe we can sleep on the beach...:)

If worse comes to worse, I have stayed at the Comfort Inn on Sterling Road, in Hollywood, Florida. They have a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the pier and a free breakfast buffet. This is not a lavish hotel, but its clean, has a pool and is perfect for a pre or post cruise stay. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, doone! I will put that on my list. Just really wanted something close to the Water Taxi and downtown (or beach) since the last day in Ft Lauderdale is our actual anniversary date and we wanted to end our trip with a nice beach or waterway location. Not a huge deal and will not affect the fact that we are extremely excited about the cruise itself and I know it will be awesome, just hoping to end out trip with more than just a place to sleep. I assume the problem is Columbus Day weekend and I should have tried much earlier, although I have been trying for 3 or 4 weeks now.

I don't blame you, keep trying priceline, you never know, but if all else fails, then this place isn't that bad, its clean, but its just that, a place to sleep. I do hope you get something better, though. Good luck, please keep us posted as to what you get.

Hello again!Well, I have used up my bid and rebid allowance for another 72 hours. Still no luck with beach or downtown area. Haven't gone higher than $90 - will try higher next time. Everything I have read on these boards indicates that people have gotten 3* for both areas for under $90 with PL, so not sure what the problem is.

The good news is , thanks to Nanatravel, we did finally get a confirmation on a room at Amerisuites that can be cancelled (and I think it may be in walking distance of the Water Taxi), so we won't have to sleep on the beach.....:)

You know, it must be that something else is going on that particular weekend because I just bid $75 thru Priceline hoping to get the 3* Marriott or Embassy but was upgraded to the 4* Renaissnace instead. This is for a pre-cruise stay on Oct 24th.

Well, I did a little searching on events in FLL that weekend and it seems 10/9 and 10/10 are the final days of the Broward Carnival and events include two parades that sound pretty big. I saw one estimate of 50,000 people expected. Will not even attempt to explain what this event is all about, not sure I understand it completely, but I will just say that my search brought up some interesting websites. Could this be the reason I can't find a good price on a hotel that weekend?

Annies Porch - I have been trying Priceline for 2 months to get a *3 downtown, bid up to $75 for 10/12 & 10/13 with no luck and this is mid week :confused: . I too have the Amerisuites as a back up or should I say may be the one, if priceline doesn't cooperate. I keep trying.

Best of luck to you ;)

Don't know if this will help or not but last night we bid $48.00 for a 3 *** and were accepted and upgraded to a 4**** in Plantation, FL, which is about 15.0 miles from Ft. Lauderdale.

The hotel is Renaissance Ft. Lauderdale Plantation, looked on tripadvisor and the reviews look good. We also rented a car so distance we not that big of a deal to us.

I know that the weeked you are looking at is a week before, but still thought the above in might help.

Archived