Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

It's so great hearing all about your latest cruise - welcome back, Roz! More stories are welcome! I wonder if anyone has ever had a service dog that got seasick?!

Did you take Horton ashore this time? Any issues with local authorities?

Yes! Some dogs get car, air and seasick. When you apply for a dog from Canine Companions, the application asks you about your lifestyle. I requested to have a dog that "traveled" well!

Brenda loved car travel, flew on airplanes well and she loved cruising, just like me! So does Horty. When CCI is training the dogs they try to subject them to every life experience to observe their reactions.

I did take Horton ashore in Mexico, saw lots of stray dogs & cats and hurried back to the ship.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Beckie, that's the thing, it did say my registration was complete and the password would be sent via email. But after the first time and I didn't get the email, I tried to register (again) in case I missed something and it told me my email was already used. So, the email info went thru correctely or it wouldn't have caught me trying to register again, but the email from them with a password never came thru. I will work on it here, hopefully this weekend. Of course I come home from school today and my right eye is killing me. I thought maybe some blowing dirt got in it. Unfortunately I think it is the dreaded P-I-N-K eye. Just say the words and I get it. Working with elementary school children is not an ideal situation to avoid it. I hope it feels better tomorrow.

Nancy, I hope your eye is better soon!

Here is the trivia question answer for today from Diana and Gibson. Thanks for your support! Beckie

Good Morning!

Today's question is: What type of hand control is most similar to a slot machine?

Answer: Push/Rock

We need all those extra votes!

Thank you,

Diana Stocksdale & Gibson

http://www.mobilityawarenessmonth.com/entrant/diana-stocksdale-blue-springs-mo/

Edited by Insuregal
Forgot the website link. Oops!

Hey Guys. Rich and I are back from our 15 day cruise on the Island Princess. We had such a wonderful and relaxing time. Rich's strength improved each day and by the last 4 days of the cruise he was not even using his cane. Was able to snorkel and even walked the promenade deck. Forget the hospital I should have taken him on a cruise a year ago!!

On another note I found my self doing bystander CPR on the last cruise day. Wrote about it on the main Princess board. Needless to say what I saw and reported or being refuted by people who were not on board. What a can of worms I opened.:eek:

Ok, I logged in via Facebook and got in! I voted! :D

Thank you for working so hard to vote for Diana! The last day to vote is May 9th, I think. Every last one is important. Diana really appreciates your efforts in her behalf.

Thanks again!

Beckie

Hey Guys. Rich and I are back from our 15 day cruise on the Island Princess. We had such a wonderful and relaxing time. Rich's strength improved each day and by the last 4 days of the cruise he was not even using his cane. Was able to snorkel and even walked the promenade deck. Forget the hospital I should have taken him on a cruise a year ago!!

On another note I found my self doing bystander CPR on the last cruise day. Wrote about it on the main Princess board. Needless to say what I saw and reported or being refuted by people who were not on board. What a can of worms I opened.:eek:

Sunshine426, I went over to the Princess board to read your thread. It is amazing how folks who are not present can have such authoritative opinions about what happened to you. Even if an AED is supposed to be posted in multiple locations throughout the ship does not mean that they are there.

Just because staff members are CPR certified does not mean they are allowed to get involved in an emergency situation per company instructions. Perhaps Princess is concerned about their liability after such an event if a "non-medical" staff member gave "medical" care to a guest. Or maybe the staff members don't understand what their real responsibility is to passengers. Whatever the real situation is everyone should have a moral obligation to help. I am sure the family and friends of the person you assisted are very grateful to you for stepping in.

Beckie

I'm glad you're cruise with Rich was a good one. I can't wait to read more about your CPR excursion.

So glad it went well for you both! you deserve it!

Sunshine, glad you and Rich had a relaxing and well deserved cruise. Well up until the last day! Good thing you were at the right place at the right time. I went over to the Princess board and all I can say is that people can be such JackWagons! It is funny how all of a sudden they are know it alls about everything. Face it, some situations do not happen the way "you" (them) think it did, especially since they weren't there.

Sunday May 4, 2014

Today's question is: What type of lift feature assists with automatic lift operations?

Answer: Standard hand-held control, on-lift controls and remote controls

Thanks for voting again! (Just a few more days and I won't bug you with these daily answers.) :)

Beckie

Sunday May 4, 2014

Today's question is: What type of lift feature assists with automatic lift operations?

Thanks for voting again! (Just a few more days and I won't bug you with these daily answers.) :)

Beckie

Please let us know the outcome!

Sunday May 4, 2014

Beckie

Hi Beckie - thank goodness you told us the answer, I would have had no idea!

It's no trouble at all to vote, and I too, like Diana, wonder how much the total will have gone up from day to day, it's incredible! :)

Monday's trivia message from Diana and Gibson:

Buenos Dias!

Today's question is...

True or False: The three main types of wheelchair tie-downs are non-retractable tie-downs, retractable tie-downs and electric/automatic docking systems.

Answer: True

Thank you,

DKD, Did you see another Orson on the graduation card we got???? Why is that?? Orson is a young dog, not close to retirement. Why, Why, Why??

There is no Orson on the NER graduation card we got. It's the same one that is on the CCI web site. We do know that there is another Orson working somewhere out there. What region is the card you are looking at? Maybe you got the wrong one for the May 16 graduation.

Tuesday's message from Diana. Thanks!

Good Morning!

Today's question is...

True or False: The Quality Assurance Program (QAP) is the only program in the adaptive mobility industry that promotes quality, safety, and reliability.

Answer: True

Thank you,

P.S. This Friday, May 9, 2014, marks the end of the voting period for this contest. I appreciate all of your time and effort on this truly collective effort. Thank You!

"Wearing purple will brighten your day!"

Beckie

Oh yes, we need the follow up!

Hi Roz, how are you doing Mrs??? ;):)

I'm home today. I didn't feel well this morning. I'm feeling better now and thought I'd check-in on you guys.

I find myself missing my Brenny these days but looking at the wonderful picture that Trudy made for me gives me great comfort!

I don't know what I would have done without having Horty in my life, he's such a love!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz - here's some more bug hugs! ;):D. Glad you're feeling better - and big hugs to Mr H too for looking after his mama.

An update on my puppy walking - we have a home visit and interview next week, so it's starting to get real now! From the sounds of it, we may have a puppy sooner rather than later if all goes well....... :D:D

Message for Diana -

Hola de Escocia Diana. I can't believe how many votes you and Gibson have accumulated .... Its fabulous .... Buena suerte y haganos saber como le va!

(My schoolgirl Spanish at its best! Ha ha ha!)

Roz - here's some more bug hugs! ;):D. Glad you're feeling better - and big hugs to Mr H too for looking after his mama.

An update on my puppy walking - we have a home visit and interview next week, so it's starting to get real now! From the sounds of it, we may have a puppy sooner rather than later if all goes well....... :D:D

Message for Diana -

Hola de Escocia Diana. I can't believe how many votes you and Gibson have accumulated .... Its fabulous .... Buena suerte y haganos saber como le va!

(My schoolgirl Spanish at its best! Ha ha ha!)

We are anxiously awaiting your new puppy news. Please keep us all in the loop as you work through the process.

She will love your message! Thank you for all your help in voting! Here is her message for Wednesday.

Good Morning!

Today's question is...

What type of hand control requires the most arm strength?

Answer: Push/Pull

Thank you,

"Wearing purple will brighten your day!"