Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Here is the link that explains what is needed for your service dog to enter The Bahamas. A SD is considered a pet when it comes to the proper paperwork - remember that The Bahamas are not the United States.

This link is from the Government of The Bahamas:

Thank you so much for this information.

Remember: Although these foreign countries do NOT recognize the ADA, therefore NOT recognizing our Service Dogs, you are on a ship that has accepted you and your dog. If the Immigration officials asks you to give them money to enter their port......DON'T GIVE THEM MONEY.....DON'T LEAVE THE SHIP WITH YOUR DOG. You may have to take turns with someone you are with and have them dog-sit for you while you visit the port or just skip it all together.

Some of these officials look at this as a way to make revenue. You DO NOT have to give them anything more than your dogs paperwork that got you onboard the ship in the first place.

Don't bother arguing with them or creating a scene. Just tell them, "no thank you" and you're done!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I am still investigating on requirements, so far there IS a different form the SD's vet has to complete and there is a $10.00 fee that has to be sent in to the Government of The Bahamas with this form that one person said will be refunded back, but I have not confirmed the refund.

As to pet sitting - I would not be safe going anywhere without my Medical Alert Service Dog, without way too much effort and risk, therefore I would have to stay on the ship with my SD. That would work great for someone who does not use their SD to warn them of levels in their body that could become emergent without warning, but for me - if she stays, I stay.

I am still investigating on requirements, so far there IS a different form the SD's vet has to complete and there is a $10.00 fee that has to be sent in to the Government of The Bahamas with this form that one person said will be refunded back, but I have not confirmed the refund.

As to pet sitting - I would not be safe going anywhere without my Medical Alert Service Dog, without way too much effort and risk, therefore I would have to stay on the ship with my SD. That would work great for someone who does not use their SD to warn them of levels in their body that could become emergent without warning, but for me - if she stays, I stay.

I'm sorry about your health issues. I feel exactly the same way. I didn't get a Service Dog in my life to leave them behind. I NEVER have and I hope I NEVER have to!

I just wanted to give you an option. If my dog can't go somewhere either do I.

Still a lot of reading to do in this topic, great!

Just to be sure: service dogs are allowed in the MDR, aren't they?

Definitely, Joy will be allowed all of the public venues, and you will be sent a form to sign agreeing that the dog will not be allowed to eat from the table or sit on furniture in the main dining room, get into the pool or hot tubs, bark excessively, bite anyone, etc.

The ship's dining rooms work out well for us. The carpets under the tables are kept clean (more so than some restaurants ashore), so Raylene settles quickly with nothing of interest to sniff! I always ask for a table against a wall or partition to avoid the center of the room where her tail might get stepped on by a passenger or waiter.

Holland America's staff on the Ryndam always greeted us with smiles and provided perfect tables at main dining room meals. Our assigned evening location was a table for four, provided to the two of us + canine, against a waiter station partition near the entrance - which was ideal.

It's so helpful to avoid a long spell of weaving through the length of the dining room between tables where waiters are juggling heavy trays, passengers want to ask questions, lean over and pet the dog, and so on. I know you can relate to this!

Definitely, Joy will be allowed all of the public venues, and you will be sent a form to sign agreeing that the dog will not be allowed to eat from the table or sit on furniture in the main dining room, get into the pool or hot tubs, bark excessively, bite anyone, etc.

The ship's dining rooms work out well for us. The carpets under the tables are kept clean (more so than some restaurants ashore), so Raylene settles quickly with nothing of interest to sniff! I always ask for a table against a wall or partition to avoid the center of the room where her tail might get stepped on by a passenger or waiter.

Holland America's staff on the Ryndam always greeted us with smiles and provided perfect tables at main dining room meals. Our assigned evening location was a table for four, provided to the two of us + canine, against a waiter station partition near the entrance - which was ideal.

It's so helpful to avoid a long spell of weaving through the length of the dining room between tables where waiters are juggling heavy trays, passengers want to ask questions, lean over and pet the dog, and so on. I know you can relate to this!

Chris, you forgot to mention the white table cloths. If Horton just stands near a white table cloth he leaves remnants of himself all over the place. He's a huge boy, with a huge tail and he doesn't wag it side to side, he wags it in a circular motion, which leaves flying stuff everywhere.

When we walk through a dining room I try to get him through it as quickly as possible, with as little debri as possible.

Once you have made it onto a cruise ship with your Service Dog you are treated just like you're treated on land. Where YOU are welcome your dog is welcome! This won't always be true in every port you visit so you must be on guard for the unexpected i.e. stray dogs/shops or restaurants that don't allow dogs/locals who are terrified of dogs, etc., etc. They don't have Federal laws to protect you and your dog and they'll see him/her as an intruder. Be careful to always have your dogs safety first.

So true (and funny) about the dog hair! Lab fur must be magnetic and all the pre-cruise brushing in the world barely puts a dent in the flying stuff, alas.

I've said this before.......If I had any idea of how much Labs shed, I don't think I would have gone to CCI [since that's all they train.] I probably would have gone to an Org. that trains the Labradoodle, Poodle....anything that doesn't leave enough hair to build another dog on a daily basis. Why isn't Horton bald? After all the brushing and the hair in his brush.....he should be hairless by now!!! :eek:

Goldens aren't much better. I brush Jagger at least twice a day, with enough hair in the brush to make a sweater. But he still leaves clumps on the rugs and floors. And the not-so-occasional bunch of longer hair swirls all over.

He needs to learn to vacuum. (one of the dogs from the organization does each night before she goes to bed. Albeit it's a Rumba...but still!)

Holly

There is no different form for service dogs than for pets entering the Bahamas. Just write "Service Dog" at the top of the import permit application form (you fill this out, not your vet) so they know why you are not including the fee, which is waived for service dogs. Do a search of this thread for "Bahamas" to find the link to the form to send to obtain an import permit - I posted the newer form within the last year. Be advised that you need to give them up to three months to mail the permit back to you because they are on island time - if you need it faster, fax the application and have them fax the permit to you. The permit does include a second sheet that your vet signs in regards to your dog's microchip number - just have the vet fill it out when you get your health certificate done a day or two prior to your trip.

If you are going on a cruise to the Bahamas, you don't need to comply with the requirement to take your dog and paperwork to a vet in the Bahamas within two days of arrival, as you will only be there for several hours. Not that many land trip people follow through on this requirement ... I always do, though, and have formed a good relationship with our vet there over the years (I spend up to a month there every year), which has definitely been of advantage when my late service dog got sick (one year suddenly got an idiopathic facial paralysis on one side, earlier this year she was able to get her chemo there [likely a first for the country], etc.).

Do be aware that there are a number of stray dogs, called Potcakes, in the Bahamas. I have never had any issues with them, but of course purposely stay away from them just in case. (They do tend to be very cute, though!)

I tearfully want to inform you all that my girl passed away today. :( Heartbreaking isn't even the word for it. A couple of you here, like Roz, understand, unfortunately. I wish dogs lived for as long as we do!!! :(

A sign over my desk reads:

If ever there comes a day

When we can't be together

Keep me in your heart

I'll stay there forever

Love, Shadow

Our deepest sympathy to you.

Edited by Host Walt

I tearfully want to inform you all that my girl passed away today. :( Heartbreaking isn't even the word for it. A couple of you here, like Roz, understand, unfortunately. I wish dogs lived for as long as we do!!! :(

Oh, I am so sad for you right now. Hugs. There really aren't adequate words.

Hi, Quam. I was thinking of you on our morning walk and I know you will never forget your girl. Raylene and I took a different route for the first time and walked past a home in my neighborhood with a small stone statue of a dog by the sidewalk. Next to it, a marker stone read, "Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts."

Thank you all for your kind words and condolences! Sorry for not replying individually, but I do appreciate everyone's posts!

It has been tough for sure. The house is way too quiet without the noise her tags made when she shook (even though they had the rubber noise stoppers on them), the sound of her paws walking across the floor, the sound of her breathing, etc. I even miss the barking habit she started after retirement, like she was an old lady who must have her way (usually in regards to food)! I have caught myself several times about to call out her name, like when I came out of the half-bathroom and was just about to do my normal thing of calling her name and expecting to see her lying on the sofa and hear her wag her tail after I say her name. I miss seeing her dog bowls on the floor. I miss giving her rubbies and cuddles and telling her how I love her - and getting kisses in return. I miss singing to her, especially our song, "You Are My Sunshine", which I always followed with a short song I made up for her saying I love her. Alas, my sunshine has been taken away.

I do not regret a thing about her life, as she lived a full and wonderful life and did more than many humans don't get to do in their (longer) lifetimes. I cherish the memories I have of her and I will never forget her nor ever stop loving her. She is my heart dog and always will be. She cannot be replaced - each dog is their own - and I told her so.

I have had tons of kind words from family and friends, some who have also cried, yet you know none of them truly understand the magnitude of this grief because it isn't the same as losing a pet. Thankfully, there was only one person who said they understand, and they are not a friend but just someone on Instagram. I finally brought myself to read the article about losing your service dog that I bookmarked a long time ago - I never wanted to read it until I had to go through it. It was helpful and now I want to get the book it mentions ("Working Like Dogs") that has a section on losing your service dog. This is the article: http://www.newmobility.com/2014/11/grieving-service-dog/

I am glad that I got my next pup (who is still at the trainer's) while my late girl was still around (and working) because I could never think to do it anytime soon right now!! I am glad that bringing her home is still a month or two off, as I need this time to grieve.

I am certain that I have many more tears to shed, especially during the burial (not sure yet when that will be, but the cemetery is supposed to call tomorrow), but also in the weeks to come. I hate the tears, but I guess they show how much I loved my amazing girl - well, not really, or I would never stop crying until the end of time! But amazing she truly was. ❤️

Quam - I can feel your devastating heartbreak in your words and how much you love your girl. Your grief is raw and words will never be enough to comfort you right now but words are all we can send you. Know also that we do understand this great loss of your partner as that is what she truly was. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has shed a tear or two this morning. Please let us know when the buriel service is as I would like to light a candle for her.

I am so sorry to hear your news Quam. I am sure that your heart is broken. Wishing you peace and comfort.

Danne

Hi All from CCI team training.

I have been matched with a dog and have been working with her since Wednesday. I am not allowed to say anything else about her or post pictures until final placement. There is so much to learn. There are ups and downs and all the information can get a little overwhelming at times. The dog is a jewel, when there is a problem it is my error. I hope she sticks with me!

DKD - I said hi to Flora and she send her regards.

Dianne

Hi All from CCI team training.

I have been matched with a dog and have been working with her since Wednesday. I am not allowed to say anything else about her or post pictures until final placement. There is so much to learn. There are ups and downs and all the information can get a little overwhelming at times. The dog is a jewel, when there is a problem it is my error. I hope she sticks with me!

DKD - I said hi to Flora and she send her regards.

Dianne

Hi Dianne

Well this is great news - I look forward to reading more about your new girl and of course to seeing her photo! When I first had Aruba, it was quite a challenge at times, but after a wee while it all fell into place - you will be the same! I hope you're having fun learning too! These dogs have inbuilt patience but I can imagine you may be getting a doggy look or two, which of course are priceless! ;):D