Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

We're doing our second Alaska cruise, but it'll be our first time cruising with a guide dog. So far, all of the excursions we've called and tried to schedule have said they can't take us along for liability reasons. Has anyone had any luck doing any excursion in Alaska (other than something like a bus tour) with their SD?

They were both placed dogs.

My heart goes out to anyone who loses their furbabies. I've lost my share, and some you just never get over. It dulls a little, but you just don't get over it.

Hugs to all of you that have suffered losses.

Holly

This is my first Service Dog loss and I have to say, I've lost pets during my lifetime but the loss of a dog who is by your side night and day and lives each day to assist and be "there" for you to help you, is overwhelmingly sad.

Honestly, I don't think I will ever be able to think or talk about Brenda without tearing-up. She was the most amazingly, wonderful being!

Quam, I understand totally how you feel. That said, I'm so grateful that I got Horton before Morey or Brenny passed. He was a wonderful source of strength and love for me. Talk about a quiet house. I can't even imagine how I would have been able to cope with both of them gone and, if Horton weren't here it would have been scary quiet for me.

So glad you had Horton to help you through your losses! Both for comfort and for security (he'll react if he hears a Who! ;) ).

I have NEVER been alone since I moved from my parents home [with 5 siblings and a Grandfather] at the age of 19 into my husband's and my home. Then 9 month's later we had our first baby. By the time I was 25 years old I had 3 children, a home and a husband to care for. I was a very busy young woman and it seemed it never quite stopped.

So, the quietness of my home without children, animals and a wonderful husband would have been deafening for me!

I can't even imagine NEVER being alone like that, but everyone is different - my late grandmother was nineteen when she and my late grandfather (who was a few years older) married and they were together for seventy-two years until my grandfather passed (my grandmother took several more years to pass). I don't want to be alone now, but am speaking about when I was in my twenties.

Horton filled the void and puts a smile on my face everyday. He's a goofball from the get-go!

I hope that the time you spend looking through the pictures of your girl and making your album of her will give you a quiet sense of peace. You took wonderful care of her, she knew and felt that love. Of that I'm sure you're so grateful for.

I had Brenny cremated and she comforts me when I look at her beautiful box, her brass plate & picture [while she was on a cruise, of course] and the plaster imprint of her paws sitting on top of her box. I run my hand over the imprint every day, with a tear and thank her for her service, devotion and unending love for all of us!

I know you felt the same about your girl and I send my love to you during this time of remembering her ♥.

I have a photo from our first cruise - it is the boarding photo Royal Caribbean did - in an awesome boat-shaped frame and it sits on a shelf next to my bedroom door. I have had it for a long time, but like looking at it even more now!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't a real thing. It was just a made up thing for a commercial they did. Great, cute commercial, though!

Quam, you just couldn't let this go! You had to bring us down to earth! You couldn't let us enjoy the moment.........You just gotta love Quam, you just gotta!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

We're doing our second Alaska cruise, but it'll be our first time cruising with a guide dog. So far, all of the excursions we've called and tried to schedule have said they can't take us along for liability reasons. Has anyone had any luck doing any excursion in Alaska (other than something like a bus tour) with their SD?

Alaska is a state, so under the ADA - your access rights there are the same as anywhere else in the States. Show them the laws and educate them! (You also don't have to tell them about the service dog in advance, just like everywhere else you go, restaurants, stores, hotels, etc. Telling them just gives them a chance to make up an excuse not to take you, like they're full or liability reasons, which is bull [with very few exceptions, like the dog sledding excursions, though some people have taken their service dogs on those].)

Quam, you just couldn't let this go! You had to bring us down to earth! You couldn't let us enjoy the moment.........You just gotta love Quam, you just gotta!

:p I didn't want anyone getting their hopes up or worrying about loose dogs in the airport around their service dogs (or kids). It was all over Facebook a while ago - and I admit I was disappointed to find it wasn't real!

BTW, some airports do have therapy dogs (on leashes with handlers) to help de-stress travellers. I don't know how well-trained they are/if they would try to distract a service dog, so just a heads up to all!

Speaking of airports, did you all hear about the new service dog relief (potty) area regulations? Basically, one area per terminal past security (unless the TSA deems it unsafe in an individual situation) and they must consult local service dog programs to help design it! WIN!!!

We've been to Alaska a few times with Brenda. We took the White Pass Railway Train tour. It was really worth the money and had absolutely no problem getting Brenda on. Also, we did the Aerial Tram Way to the Inuit presentation, also well worth the money and had no problem.

We couldn't take her on a whale watching trip or visit the dog sledding habitats. I totally understood why. We were offered to have friends stay with Brenda onboard the ship while my DH and I toured but I didn't want to be separated from her. My DH went on a helicopter tour and a whale watching tour without Brenda and me. We stayed onboard and enjoyed the ship.

I'm sorry I forgot to welcome you to our group.

Also, remember that the laws in Canada are not the same as ours. Although they are much better now than when we were there. We were not allowed to bring Brenda into the Gardens and into some restaurants. They are becoming much more Service Dog aware and friendly.

I hope to do an Alaska cruise with Horton next year. He's never been there.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

:p I didn't want anyone getting their hopes up or worrying about loose dogs in the airport around their service dogs (or kids). It was all over Facebook a while ago - and I admit I was disappointed to find it wasn't real!

BTW, some airports do have therapy dogs (on leashes with handlers) to help de-stress travellers. I don't know how well-trained they are/if they would try to distract a service dog, so just a heads up to all!

Speaking of airports, did you all hear about the new service dog relief (potty) area regulations? Basically, one area per terminal past security (unless the TSA deems it unsafe in an individual situation) and they must consult local service dog programs to help design it! WIN!!!

Yes, Quam, nice seque! I have seen the Therapy Dogs in the airport. It was on leash but there was also a drug sniffer who was off-leash and it didn't like Horton, it growled at him and scared me. Luckily, the handler was nearby and diverted his attention. Horton is a well-trained Service Dog. He ignores ALL other animals in lieu of watching and caring for me. He's brilliant and much better at this than Brenda was, I must say!

I had experience in Eugene, Oregon with a lovely airport security person who offered to take Horton to the "Airport Pottybox!"

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Two years ago we did the White Pass Railroad excursion with our daughters service dog in Skagway. There was no problem. Next year we are doing a whale watch with Orca Enterprises. I just spoke to them yesterday and they have no problem with the service dog. They are in Juneau. Hope this helps.

Two years ago we did the White Pass Railroad excursion with our daughters service dog in Skagway. There was no problem. Next year we are doing a whale watch with Orca Enterprises. I just spoke to them yesterday and they have no problem with the service dog. They are in Juneau. Hope this helps.

Brenda was so enticed by water that I feared she'd want to jump in from the tour boat. She also loved getting onboard a tender. Horton could care less about water and really doesn't much care for getting his feet wet and does not like entering a tender boat. I have to bribe him with food to get in.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Also, a friendly suggestion; get to know your dog. Get to know what his/her likes, fears and idiosyncrasies are. Brenda ALWAYS lunged at other dogs. Not in a way to harm but she insisted on smelling each and every dog/cat/bird/rabbit, etc. that she encountered on our many trips with her. She literally pulled my shoulder out of whack once trying to get to another dog. It was her ONLY bad habit and even CCI had a difficult time trying to train it out of her. They'd release her out of her crate and she insisted on greeting the other dogs before she'd pay attention to anyone in the training room. But, once she started working she couldn't be stopped. She was brilliant!

I would go to Workshops just to try and change her bad habit. She was the most amazing Service Dog in every other way except when other dogs were around. She had to introduce herself and could not resist sniffing. They let her graduate because of her work ethic and felt that because of the environment that she would be working with me in, her bad habit would NOT get in our way. Bribed with kibble in my pocket, she was a pure genius at work.

As she got older she became better at approaching other animals but it made me shy of getting another dog. When I first met Horton and started working with him I realized Brenda's bad habit was hers and is not in every dog. He was NOTHING like her. He could care less about the other dogs and NEVER has to be corrected on our walks. This was a wonderful change and has made my life so much easier.

Brenda was quicker at retrieving items, opening and closing doors [he doesn't like to open doors but he loves to close them]. Each dog has their own specialness and is better at one thing than another.

They can frustrate the heck out of you at times. If you're having a practice session and you're becoming frustrated; stop working, release the dog. Go get a cup of coffee and give both of you a break.

Remember to end your practice sessions on a HIGH!!!! Your dog will love you for it!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz you are always full of good advice and information! Thank you. :)

You are so welcome! I love our dogs and love you guys who travel/work/live with a Service Dog and I surly love you who have furbabies that fulfill your lives. They may not be certified to work but they do keep your hearts and souls warm and fuzzy.

And, it goes without saying how we feel about our PuppyRaiser's - YOU are the cream of our crop ♥ ♥ ♥

Happy National Dog Day to all our partners! Hearing Dog Raylene is getting a new back yard fence to celebrate. The work isn't quite finished, but by tomorrow, we can run around off-leash and play ball again!

IMG_0021_zps6tue1aap.jpg

Congratulations Raylene, you are one lucky dog!!!!

Happy National Dog Day to all our partners! Hearing Dog Raylene is getting a new back yard fence to celebrate. The work isn't quite finished, but by tomorrow, we can run around off-leash and play ball again!

IMG_0021_zps6tue1aap.jpg

Raylene will love that!