Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Oh joy....Gainesville sounds like they have no idea of what they are doing!

When it's time for my cruise, that's where I have to go and like you, it's a two and a half hours.

Okay, some places don't require the USDA certification, just the form filled out by an USDA accredited vet. The Bahamas do not seem to require the USDA office certification.

From what I can see the Turks and Caicos do require a titer test, plus a tick and tapeworm certificate.

I know titer tests are expensive, but $500?!!!!

Auntie Roz? Do you know?

Sorry, I didn't see this before. These islands that request various tests be done before you can bring your dog onto them are, in my opinion, ridiculous and far reaching in their demands. These tests are totally unnecessary and I won't subject my dog to them.

I go to my USDA accredited Vet within one week of my cruise. The ship accepts all of this paperwork for my dog [however, some of the ports request something further], some even ask for money when they inspect the dog onboard. I, again, DO NOT DO ANY FURTHER TESTING ON MY DOG and I NEVER give the officials any money. I simply tell them I wasn't prepared to give any extra money and don't have it. I get a dirty look, they walk away and it's over.

I leave my dog onboard with someone if I MUST go into this port. Or, I show the complete paperwork I have to the Immigration authorities and hope they'll accept them, if not, I don't give anyone any further money, I show them how upsetting their further demands are and I simply walk away.

I know that some of you will NOT like my answer. I'm NOT subjecting my extremely important and well taken care of dog to any further testing, unnecessary injections and, I'm certainly NEVER going to give any official who asks any further bribe money.

My dog and I got onboard the cruise ship just fine, with the paperwork that I had. Taking my dog into the various foreign ports is NOT that important to me. If I really want to go into the port, I will go without my dog. If I'm traveling alone sometimes I have to miss a port in order to prove my point.

My Service Dog will not be held hostage by a foreign port. Sorry, if I'm ranting. My Vet does not believe in over immunizing dogs just so they can travel and he doesn't think that these testings are necessary for Service Dogs who are watched very closely by training orgs. and are immunized regularly.

You know that I travel a lot with my dogs and for very long periods of time. I see my Vet at least twice a year because I take at least two cruises a year and I see him one week before the cruise. My paperwork is complete, even including the spay/neuter report that CCI gives us when we graduate.

I truly believe that the reason that I'm not questioned any further by Immigration is because I'm so thorough with all the paperwork, it makes them dizzy!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Henri survived her first trip to the vet, of course she had an ear infection. A friend of mine from high school is a vet, it never worked out for us to take our animals to her for various reasons. She is now working in the city where we live and an added bonus is that she is USDA accredited and familiar with international travel procedures. While we were there, Henri got her 15-digit international microchip so she is ready to go on our next adventure (which won't be until 2016).

Dianne

Henri survived her first trip to the vet, of course she had an ear infection. A friend of mine from high school is a vet, it never worked out for us to take our animals to her for various reasons. She is now working in the city where we live and an added bonus is that she is USDA accredited and familiar with international travel procedures. While we were there, Henri got her 15-digit international microchip so she is ready to go on our next adventure (which won't be until 2016).

Dianne

Dianne good for you. I love, love my Vet but how wonderful it would be if a family member or friend were a Vet. Sure can't hurt!

The microchip is great. Now, go plan that cruise.

It really sounds like you're doing very well with Henri and the two of you are settling in perfectly. I'm so glad. You're a natural. And, I'm sure she's loving how easy you're making it for her!

Ear infections are so common with our Labs. Horton has a rash in one ear that has not gone into the canal yet. I'm sure the meds will keep it on the outside and then just clear it up. Poor doggies with those big, flappy ears!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

My admiration for puppy raisers/puppy walkers has gone up even more.

Although I know I'm getting him back, it was so hard dropping Jagger off today after class. I can't believe how much I miss him already.

They said I can visit him all I want. I wish I could go every day! I'm going to go on Tuesday just to play with him.

I shouldn't be sad, but I am. Intellectually I know it's what's needed and good for him. Emotionally....I just miss my dog!

Well tomorrow Jagger goes off to college. I'm going to miss him so much. Hopefully he can come home for an overnight soon. I'm sure it'll be a little while before they allow it so they get acclimatized.

I hope my big boy does well. I miss him already!

Holly

Isn't it weird! I know I'd be a blubbering mess if Horty wasn't by my side 24/7! I just love our dogs ♥ ♥ ♥

Although I know I'm getting him back, it was so hard dropping Jagger off today after class. I can't believe how much I miss him already.

They said I can visit him all I want. I wish I could go every day! I'm going to go on Tuesday just to play with him.

I shouldn't be sad, but I am. Intellectually I know it's what's needed and good for him. Emotionally....I just miss my dog!

Awwww! Of course you do. We all understand! It won't be long, he'll be home with his Mommy soon!

Gonna need a bigger pooper scooper!!

Would need a bucket loader - LOL!

I got to see Jagger today! He was SO happy to see me. I feel better cause I know he's going to do well in training. The trainer showed me some things they'd work with, and she had him doing it within minutes.

And, he's coming home for a visit this weekend! I pick him up at class on Saturday and he'll stay until Monday.

I have dog hair all over me, and I like it!

Holly

Would need a bucket loader - LOL!

I got to see Jagger today! He was SO happy to see me. I feel better cause I know he's going to do well in training. The trainer showed me some things they'd work with, and she had him doing it within minutes.

And, he's coming home for a visit this weekend! I pick him up at class on Saturday and he'll stay until Monday.

I have dog hair all over me, and I like it!

Holly

Holly, you're hooked! When we start missing and loving the dog hair........there's nothing more to say!

I second that Holly! Puppy raisers are truly special people. I am glad that you got to see Jagger today. I have only been matched with Henri a month and I can't imagine what it would be like to be separated from her. Congratulations on winning the photo contest.

Dianne

Hi everyone - well here we are waiting to disembark our cruise ship In Stockholm, Sweden. Home of IKEA! and meatballs! LOL! It's a beautiful sunny day, bit chilly but we have had glorious weather for most of the cruise, sunny days and perfect temperatures for sightseeing.

Wonderful cruise, a wee report will follow with photos when we get home. ,but we have missed our doggies and our pussycats. ,hopefully they will not be too cross with us when we pick them up from their holiday hotels on Saturday.

Congratulations Holly and Jagger! :D I love the photo of him with the pony.

Yes, it's very hard giving the pups back, but we know that they will continue to be loved and be adored by their new mummies and daddies and doing a great job for them at the same time. I'm excited to be going home and hopefully seeing Miss Aruba next week at the Guide Dogs fun day. I do wonder if she will recognise us right away. She will, I'm sure. We haven't heard anything, so no news is good news and she's doing ok.

Anyway, we are waiting to hear now about a new pup - so more excitement to come! :eek::D

Hope you are all well. :)

Photo: following another cruise ship into Stockholm through the beautiful archipelago at around 6am this morning.

image.jpg.b4517a62f5a94946d287561814e5e5fd.jpg

Hi everyone - well here we are waiting to disembark our cruise ship In Stockholm, Sweden. Home of IKEA! and meatballs! LOL! It's a beautiful sunny day, bit chilly but we have had glorious weather for most of the cruise, sunny days and perfect temperatures for sightseeing.

Wonderful cruise, a wee report will follow with photos when we get home. ,but we have missed our doggies and our pussycats. ,hopefully they will not be too cross with us when we pick them up from their holiday hotels on Saturday.

Yes, it's very hard giving the pups back, but we know that they will continue to be loved and be adored by their new mummies and daddies and doing a great job for them at the same time. I'm excited to be going home and hopefully seeing Miss Aruba next week at the Guide Dogs fun day. I do wonder if she will recognise us right away. She will, I'm sure. We haven't heard anything, so no news is good news and she's doing ok.

Anyway, we are waiting to hear now about a new pup - so more excitement to come! :eek::D

Photo: following another cruise ship into Stockholm through the beautiful archipelago at around 6am this morning.

So glad your having a great cruise. Can't wait to hear all about it!

I'm so glad that your cruise was a good one [that was a well-earned vacation!] Is there ever a bad one?

I can't wait to hear all about Aruba and how she's doing. It's a great relief to know that if she doesn't do well.....she can always come home to Mum! It's the only way we can send our kids off to college and not worry so much about them! :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see pictures!

I have a question that I thought someone here could answer. Our neighbor has started (on her second dog) taking in young black labs (one at a time) and keeping them for a few months (not sure, but it seems like 6 months). These are supposedly being raised to be a service dog. The question is that she puts them in an outside fenced kennel on the back patio where they sit and bark all day long. First this seems a little cruel to me and it's very irritating to neighbors (us:o). I've never said anything because I believe that you should always do everything possible to get along with neighbors. After all, unless you want to move, you have to live with them:rolleyes: So, does this sound normal to you? I really have no idea what goes into the raising of a service dog.