Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hey Chris - isn't it true that Hearing Dogs need to have a somewhat different personality than other Service Dogs - that they need to be more independent thinkers?

Hope you guys are doing well in Florida!

They need to be very alert and ready to "alert" and "release" at a moments notice!

A sleepy, lazy "could care less" dog would NOT be a very good Hearing Dog!

If you are cruising primarily for the port visits, you may be right, and there are great places in the U.S. to visit with your dog. But we do enjoy cruising with my dog.

Remember even if you comply with complicated import requirements for the dog, the ADA law permitting public access for service dogs does not apply ashore unless you are in American ports like Key West, the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico. (If you go to rabies-free Hawaii, as you may know, special advance blood testing is mandatory to enter whether you arrive by plane or ship with a dog.)

So you can't assume a non-U.S. tour operator, taxi or restaurant will allow your dog access. We were denied entry to a famous bar (half empty at the time) on St. Barth last December - their loss. Some people make private tour arrangements ashore in advance that are confirmed to include the dog. Another thing to be aware of is the need to keep an eye out for wild dogs and other critters roaming free on some islands.

I agree with Roz 100% - I will not over-inoculate my dog beyond what my vet recommends and I won't pay a fee to go ashore. Glad to say that on our two cruises in the past year to the Caribbean and Central American ports, we never were asked to appear before local authorities, pay a fee, provide anything other than Form 7001, or have any unusual inoculations to go ashore despite advance bureaucratic info to the contrary. It was much simpler than I expected.

My dog gets three-year rabies, and even though some countries say the vaccination needs to be less than a year old, the three-year expiration date was never questioned.

My theory is that a key to minimal hassle is to give the ship a very complete set of official "papers" - Besides the 7001, I bring copies of rabies and other inoculation records, microchip documentation, copies of the dog's photo ID from the training organization, and a sheet I prepare detailing the dog's training and services she performs, recent flea & tick control record, name and address of vet(s), my name, contact info and passport number, etc.etc. The ship provides a copy of the "papers" to each port, and all involved officials perceive the truth - the dog is a valid service dog with all bases covered - so their bureaucratic minds are at ease when the ship is cleared into port. Just my theory.

I also theorize that most of the islands' policies were really created for and aimed at people importing a pet animal for permanent residence or longer vacations than a few hours ashore.

I would certainly prepare carefully and comply with all requirements for a transatlantic flight or crossing for a European vacation, but a Caribbean cruise is a different scenario. If I ever run into a problem, I will either take turns with my spouse going ashore or just stay on board with my dog because for me, the ship is the destination.

BRILLIANTLY SAID! You, went to the ROZ'S SCHOOL of "Travels With a Service Dog!!!!!

Simply said and perfect! Thank you Chris! Having ALL the paperwork in order, with a copy already to hand the cruise ship and one for yourself, along with the originals, will make traveling so much easier with your dog!!!

We did travel, with Brenda, to Switzerland, Germany, Italy and France. We rented a car in Zurich and drove through all of the above countries it was amazingly wonderful. I never told the rental car company that I had a dog and NEVER pre-warned the hotels about her. We NEVER had a problem and only once in Italy did a restaurant owner have a problem with her eating inside. Once they witnessed how well behaved she was they backed right down.

We had more problems in Canada than any other place in all of our travel with Brenda.

News from the Fairbourne household is, as always, so delightful to read. A new chapter for the book I've been suggesting that you write!

Little Bonnie is capturing my heart already, at such a tender age, even if she does keep Mum and Dad up all night. Her photos curled up with "our" Aruba are especially cute.

Wow, Host Walt + Roz + Horton on the same cruise!

Darn, if we weren't booked on a canal cruise out of Florida in April 2016, I'd sure be looking into joining the fun.

We'd love that too!

It's so much fun to meet people who read our thread everyday but don't write. They'll come up to me and introduce themselves as a "lurker" and will tell me how much they love reading about and seeing pictures of our dogs.

On my last cruise in June, people were asking me about Aruba. Imagine that; Fairbourne lives in Scotland, this family was from Arizona, they run into Horton and me and ask about Fairbourne. Our world is made so much smaller by our writings. It's incredible!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

My family and I were supposed to drive down to visit friends in South Carolina today. They live about 20 minutes from Savannah, GA. We got an e-mail from them yesterday that a big stretch of I95 is still closed. We decided not to go. Today I saw that over 500 bridges and roads are still damaged and 90 miles of I95 is still closed. All in South Carolina. :(

It's so heartbreaking!

We're concerned about our drought and will have triple digit weather again, here in L.A., when some of our states are literally drowning.

I always worry about our Service Dogs and the various Orgs. that are located in these flooding areas. Stay safe everyone!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Raylene sounds amazing, they got it right when they figured out that she should be a hearing dog. My heart goes out to all of those affected by the floods in South Carolina.

Here is a picture of Henri at CCI's Dog Fest Walk N' Roll this weekend.

Dianne

B4926EBC-88B0-4D15-87BE-9D376B56224E_zpsx42lv3bk.jpg

She is such a gorgeous girl. And a "Dogtor"......I'd go to her in a second!

Fairbourne, your story of "Bonnie" and her sleeping problems [or, should I say Mum and Dad's sleeping problems] is absolutely priceless. This is the specialness that folks like you and DKD have to withstand in order to raise these amazing future heroes. THANK YOU ♥ ♥ ♥

She certainly has a sparkling personality. Aruba has adopted her and it's so, so cute to see them laying with each other!

Aruba, I'm not a bit surprised at your warmth and love being shown to this new little imp in your families life! You totally understand what the future holds for this little girl. Hopefully, her tenacious attitude will hold good as she grows and fulfills what hopefully will be her bright new future.

Please keep sharing your lives with all of us, we love seeing the pictures and the progress being made!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Yes indeed, I am a proud alumni of ROZ's SCHOOL of Service Dog Travel! Could not have done it without you!

P.S. I LOVE seeing the animated yellow lab back on your signature in honor of Little Miss Bonnie!

Thanks, me too! It's Bonnie, just a little bit bigger!

Of course, it would be a Yellow Lab because we'd never be able to see the Black Lab's face!!! They're always a black blob in pictures!

Love the photos of Bonnie and Aruba. I have such admiration for the puppy raisers. It is a tough job - I don't do well at all without enough sleep!

Dianne

When we go to workshops at CCI and I see the Puppy Raisers come into the play yard with their pups, I want to give every one of the them a big hug. Without them the program couldn't be as successful as it is. I just love them!!!

Although neither of my Puppy Raisers took many pictures of my miracle workers Brenda and Horton, and neither of them had an album of any of their watershed moments as they were growing up with them......they are still my heroes. The work that they put into Brenda & Horton and the love that they gave were so instrumental in the Service Dogs that they became.

I'm forever grateful to both of my Puppy Raiser families.

Good morning all ...... yawn, yawn, yaaaaawn ......

We had a good day yesterday and then it went all belly up at 2.30 AM this morning! but at least it was just straight out, did what she had to, then back to bed ..... For about 20 minutes ..... Dragged myself out of bed again, ran Madame out and then she did what she had to again (I'm beginning to identify the difference between yelling for "I need to go out to potty" and yelling "because I don't want to be in here without my big pal Aruba."

So after two excursions, everyone slept till about 5 when the DH took everyone out and Madame did her potty and she went back to bed when he left and would have then slept for at least an hour or two. But no sooner had he left and it's been a battle of wills - out - chase a few leaves, nothing happens so back in, wait a while, starts girning so out again, chase a few more leaves, nothing happens - ok so it's hunger, so I give her half her breakfast (an hour early) and a cuddle during which she falls back to sleep, so I pop her back in her bed while I plod on back to mine!

No chance, just as I pull the covers up thinking that was a good sneaky move Mrs F giving her a spot of brekky, the bed is still warm as I was smart enough to pull the quilt up as I got out, I'm going to get an hour here at least I'm thinking, oh I'm so cosy, all is quiet, wonderful! It lasted for about 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

The yelling starts again - I try and ignore it for a wee while but that's hard to do when a cat comes and stands on your head and looks at me as if to say "hey "The Mum One" can't you hear that racket downstairs!"

I figured all the bases have been covered and I'm starting to fear I'm doing the respond thing we are not supposed to do - it was hopeless, so I drag myself out of bed again - cats drag themselves back to their beds to resume their 24 hour long catnaps!

Out we go back again - finally success! I swear this pup can squeeze a poo out just to spite me! ;):eek:) So now it's light and the other dogs want out -again - they've not long been out with their Dad who has now escaped to work! So we all land up having a wander around the garden with little one being carried nice and cosy snuggled into me! By the time Poppy has covered every square inch of the garden, as who knows what's happened since she was last out less than an hour ago - it's back into the warm house and it's everyone's breakfast time - except me of course!

Madame has now had her second breakfast and a worming tablet, so we will see how that goes today. She's lying with her head on my slippers as I type this, looking so cute, so calm, so gorgeous - dreaming of, well who knows but I hope she's having lovely dreams - I'm think I'm falling in love! :D. Would I manage a quick forty winks ........ Yawn, yawn, yaaaawn ..... If only ......

We had a good day yesterday and then it went all belly up at 2.30 AM this morning! but at least it was just straight out, did what she had to, then back to bed ..... For about 20 minutes ..... Dragged myself out of bed again, ran Madame out and then she did what she had to again (I'm beginning to identify the difference between yelling for "I need to go out to potty" and yelling "because I don't want to be in here without my big pal Aruba."

So after two excursions, everyone slept till about 5 when the DH took everyone out and Madame did her potty and she went back to bed when he left and would have then slept for at least an hour or two. But no sooner had he left and it's been a battle of wills - out - chase a few leaves, nothing happens so back in, wait a while, starts girning so out again, chase a few more leaves, nothing happens - ok so it's hunger, so I give her half her breakfast (an hour early) and a cuddle during which she falls back to sleep, so I pop her back in her bed while I plod on back to mine!

No chance, just as I pull the covers up thinking that was a good sneaky move Mrs F giving her a spot of brekky, the bed is still warm as I was smart enough to pull the quilt up as I got out, I'm going to get an hour here at least I'm thinking, oh I'm so cosy, all is quiet, wonderful! It lasted for about 5 minutes. :rolleyes:

The yelling starts again - I try and ignore it for a wee while but that's hard to do when a cat comes and stands on your head and looks at me as if to say "hey "The Mum One" can't you hear that racket downstairs!"

I figured all the bases have been covered and I'm starting to fear I'm doing the respond thing we are not supposed to do - it was hopeless, so I drag myself out of bed again - cats drag themselves back to their beds to resume their 24 hour long catnaps!

Out we go back again - finally success! I swear this pup can squeeze a poo out just to spite me! ;):eek:) So now it's light and the other dogs want out -again - they've not long been out with their Dad who has now escaped to work! So we all land up having a wander around the garden with little one being carried nice and cosy snuggled into me! By the time Poppy has covered every square inch of the garden, as who knows what's happened since she was last out less than an hour ago - it's back into the warm house and it's everyone's breakfast time - except me of course!

Madame has now had her second breakfast and a worming tablet, so we will see how that goes today. She's lying with her head on my slippers as I type this, looking so cute, so calm, so gorgeous - dreaming of, well who knows but I hope she's having lovely dreams - I'm think I'm falling in love! :D. Would I manage a quick forty winks ........ Yawn, yawn, yaaaawn ..... If only ......

fairborne,

It sounds like you have Bonnie sleeping by herself downstairs. Maybe you should try bringing the crate in the bedroom with you. She may just need to know that you are in the same room with her.

Don't forget, her whole young life has been spent with her litter mates. Just my humble opinion. :rolleyes:

DKD - we are not allowed to take the pups into the bedroom. I know daft, as you can guarantee when they go to "work", they will be in their owners bedroom! (Our own dogs don't come to our bedroom.) They also don't want the puppy sleeping in a pile with the other dogs, so putting her and Aruba together wouldn't work either. This separation makes no sense to me as when they go to school, they are bunked up with at least two other dogs! I was also thinking how much easier it would be for us, if we had a bungalow with no stairs, or as one old lady we know calls them "a flat house"! But that would be a bit drastic to move house to be a puppy walker! ;):p

The other dogs and their beds are in the same area as her night-time crate (she also has a time out crate in the living room so that's she's kept in the body of the kirk as it were during the day and evenings if she needs some quiet time, but most of the day she's with me and the other dogs in the kitchen running around and then dropping off the edge - she's particularly fond of that grey fleece covered mattress with or without Aruba, so not much time at all in her crate. I've put a big dog mattress next to her crate for the others to be even nearer at nighttime, but still that doesn't work. Yes I'm making allowances with lots of night time cuddles - but it's a fine line with doing that and not responding to cries because she knows a cuddle will come, if you know what I mean. Don't worry she has lots of cuddles all day from me and Aruba. (Right now she's cuddled up asleep on my lap) Thank goodness my favourite armchair is comfy for a cuddle and a nap in the wee small hours!

Ah well, this phase won't last forever.:eek:

Alexspepa - this video isn't allowed for viewing in the UK, but thanks,,sounds like it would be hilarious.

To be honest my writings earlier were supposed to be a self-deprecating tail of woe - I thought you might all laugh at the thought of this auld Scottish wifie running around her hoosie in her goonie in the wee small hours at the behest of a teeny wee puppy called Bonnie!! ;):D

Bonnie's a delight, it's just young puppy time and all that goes with it. We were so spoilt with Aruba arriving a bit older and sleeping right through the night, right away.

Bonnie has just had a great time playing out in the garden, she's flat out, so I can catch up with a few chores (who am I kidding, I'm sitting right by her with my feet up writing this!:D)

DKD - we are not allowed to take the pups into the bedroom. I know daft, as you can guarantee when they go to "work", they will be in their owners bedroom! (Our own dogs don't come to our bedroom.) They also don't want the puppy sleeping in a pile with the other dogs, so putting her and Aruba together wouldn't work either. This separation makes no sense to me as when they go to school, they are bunked up with at least two other dogs! I was also thinking how much easier it would be for us, if we had a bungalow with no stairs, or as one old lady we know calls them "a flat house"! But that would be a bit drastic to move house to be a puppy walker! ;):p

The other dogs and their beds are in the same area as her night-time crate (she also has a time out crate in the living room so that's she's kept in the body of the kirk as it were during the day and evenings if she needs some quiet time, but most of the day she's with me and the other dogs in the kitchen running around and then dropping off the edge - she's particularly fond of that grey fleece covered mattress with or without Aruba, so not much time at all in her crate. I've put a big dog mattress next to her crate for the others to be even nearer at nighttime, but still that doesn't work. Yes I'm making allowances with lots of night time cuddles - but it's a fine line with doing that and not responding to cries because she knows a cuddle will come, if you know what I mean. Don't worry she has lots of cuddles all day from me and Aruba. (Right now she's cuddled up asleep on my lap) Thank goodness my favourite armchair is comfy for a cuddle and a nap in the wee small hours!

Ah well, this phase won't last forever.:eek:

American translation please. :D

Alexspepa - this video isn't allowed for viewing in the UK, but thanks,,sounds like it would be hilarious.

To be honest my writings earlier were supposed to be a self-deprecating tail of woe - I thought you might all laugh at the thought of this auld Scottish wifie running around her hoosie in her goonie in the wee small hours at the behest of a teeny wee puppy called Bonnie!! ;):D

Bonnie's a delight, it's just young puppy time and all that goes with it. We were so spoilt with Aruba arriving a bit older and sleeping right through the night, right away.

Bonnie has just had a great time playing out in the garden, she's flat out, so I can catch up with a few chores (who am I kidding, I'm sitting right by her with my feet up writing this!:D)

It does sound like she has truly won you over already and I did laugh at your descriptions of Bonnie already ruling the roost as it were...

Dear Bonnie, "good girl!" You're keeping these folks on their toes [slippers!]

Life with Bonnie.......so much fun to read.....so glad it's you and not me!!!!

Every time I entertain the thought of bringing a puppy into Horty's and my life, I will remember the potential bags under my eyes!!!!!

American translation please. :D

DKD I found this on google:

'Come in tae the body o' the kirk', translated, means come and join us; we want you to be one of us. In Scotland, the word 'kirk' means church. The saying no doubt dates back to a time when the kirk was all-encompassing, and is no doubt rooted in the maxim that a truly Christian society excludes no one

I am sure Fairbourne will come tell us if that is close as soon as Sweet Bonnie lets her.:)