Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

This new cruiseline is really different. We have not been asked for any paperwork for John or for the dog. Very strange. We usually get bombarded with stuff. We have no idea what the paperwork will include.

Anyone cruised on NCL with their dog?

You have to have a sense of humor about these things! Look on the bright side, with the walker you may not get so many questions about Horton. So far I have not had any problems (except for people wanting to pet Henri all of the time - I don't blame them since she is so darn cute). I filled out the CCI survey, but I have not encountered any fake service dogs yet.

Dianne

Dianne, you are so right! When I use the walker people don't ask any questions about Horton. They just give me that........"poor thing" look!!!:(

Civilians just love our dogs. There are not a lot of them out in the world and when they actually get to see one in-person, they either get so excited they can't contain themselves or they completely ignore us and try so hard not to get eye contact with him.

Because our dogs are the epitome of perfection in public, it's always a pleasure to answer any of their many questions and let them touch him.

We want to see a photo of the cupholders on the walker!

Chris, if you know me, you know that I'm photographically challenged. I'll describe it: The cup holder is square when it's in a closed position and is attached to the right side of back rest. When it's opened it has a solid bottom and on the top are two expandable "jaws" that can hug a small can or expand to hold a larger cup or glass. I've used it many times and it works really well. Love it!!!!

I bought it on Amazon and installed it myself.

Chris I think what you meant to say is - We want to see what is in the cupholders on the walker - and does that mean it is double cupholdered? you can carry two drinks at a time?

maybe one for you and one for Horty?

Hey, hey, hey!!!! You should see what I look like when I've got something in the cup holder and I'm wheeling around over not so level ground!!!!!

I love you guys - sleep deprived Mrs F is so cheered up after reading all the fun stuff. I loved that thread AlexsPepa, it really appealed to my Scottish sense of humour, but what was even funnier was that some on there believed every word! Hilarious.

Chris - you are priceless! :D

Ah Aunty Roz - i can't believe its two years since that awful time! Just think you can happily carry your bottle of champagne around now (isn't that what those holders are really for???) and fill up to your hearts delight - that Chris will be so jealous! ;):p:D

So we had a tiny breakthrough a couple of nights ago when little teeny slept through from 1030 till 5am when the DH gets up for work. Brilliant, then she went back to sleep till 7 when I got up. It was a flash in the pan, back to broken sleep. I can't wait till she's on 3 feeds and getting out and about.

In saying all of this she's a little star. We decided to have a bit of fun and fundraise at the DH's work place. I thought we could maybe raise a few £ if we did a competition where people could guess Bonnie's name - £1 a guess. I made a big spreadsheet with 50 girls names and included all the names of those we cherish dearly - Brenda, Henri, Raylene, Misty to name but a few - current puppies being puppy walked in this area, you get the idea, and hidden in amongst them was Bonnie.

The prize was a Guide Dogs T shirt. And I promised I would bring Bonnie in for the prize giving and lots of cuddles!

We were starting to worry as no-one had chosen Bonnie and we were down to the last 7 names! By then most folk had picked a name. Anyway, the DH just happened to be walking past where they had the poster up and a couple of young ladies were deliberating on the few names left and one said "oh we've left it a bit late, there's not much choice now, och, I'll just have Bonnie". Thank dawgness, I don't know what we would have done if Bonnie's name hadn't been picked!

Yesterday was the prize giving - "Puppies and Pancakes" -and off we went, Bonnie, me and my friend who is a puppy boarder came to help. I made pancakes* for everyone (as a wee thank you from me), delicious with butter and Scottish home-made strawberry jam and of course a cup of tea! We timed it so we were there for their mid-morning tea break.

The girl who chose Bonnie's name was thrilled to bits that she won!

And I was even more thrilled when they handed me an envelope with £250 in it for Guide Dogs! Can you imagine - of course, I was a big blubb! ! I was going to be happy if we "sold" all 50 names and maybe got £50! People had generously donated much more than the £1 a name.

It was great fun and Bonnie behaved impeccably in the office, quite happily giving out cuddles. She slept for hours when she got home - exhausted- but what a star she is! They all know Aruba as well as she was a frequent visitor to the office, so I have to take her in to visit sometime as they all want to see her as well. My DH is lucky to work with such nice folk.

*The pancakes I make are slightly different from American pancakes - some call them Scottish drop scones. But right now I never want to see a pancake again, well at least for a week or so! LOL!

So Aunty Roz, when you come to visit oor wee hoosie, you will be having pancakes for your afternoon tea! :D

What a great way to raise money for your Org........so wonderful!!!! She looks like a Bonnie...it's such a perfect name for her.

I love pancakes.....please promise to make me some when I come to your wee hoosie. I would love to visit and play outside with your brood. What would poor hubby do with the two of us? I know I'd be ALL SMILES!!!

And, don't you dare leave us to open a blog. We all would miss you too much!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Uh Oh People of LA watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Seriously, I'm a crazy woman when I'm on two feet.....put 4 wheels [with handlebars] in front of that and you are so right about "watch out!!!" You should see Horton along side me....we're a real force to be reckoned with!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi! All:

Just cruisin' through. We are in the process of slowly remodeling house. I have been using my ole faithful, dinosaur, desktop computer. If I have to move it one more time, one more time, I said........I am just glad I got my own puter back, I should stop complaining, but what good would that do?

Antie Roz, I have been trying to get my hubby to get one of those snazzy walkers and he keeps balking. He cannot walk very far before he needs to sit down and rest his legs. I just know he would be much more comfortable and want to go out more. I will have to find a picture of one like yours with a cup holder on it. That just may do the trick. Where did you get yours?

Fairbourne: I also love reading your stories. Well, everyones. The things we have been through, we can't make this stuff up!

Everyone have a great, end of week. :D

Nancy, I'm not exaggerating, it's amazing! I bought it from Amazon it's called; Comodita Prima Heavy-Duty Rolling walker with a nylon seat and a back rest. I bought the cup holder separate. It's square with adjusting "claw-like" holders on the top and a square base. It folds up flat to the side of the back rest when not in use. I installed it on the walker myself [so easy!]

I can't recommend this walker enough. It has large wheels on the back and swivel type wheels on the front. I lift it in and out of my car myself [it's very light.] It has a storage compartment under the seat and hand breaks [which I could not understand why] until you use the walker and let got of it, it seems to have a mind of it's own so you need to lock it in place so it doesn't move.

It's really a nice device!!!

This new cruiseline is really different. We have not been asked for any paperwork for John or for the dog. Very strange. We usually get bombarded with stuff. We have no idea what the paperwork will include.

Anyone cruised on NCL with their dog?

Cindy, we were on the NCL Star to the Mexican Riviera. They treated Brenda very well. They're the one's who invented "Anytime Dining."

When we lined up for dinner, the Matre d' would see us with Brenda and he came and got us out of line and took us into a side door. He treated us so well that we decided to eat in the same dining room, at the same time every night [i know it defeated the purpose of the Anytime thing, but it worked so well with the dog and all!]

We loved the food, service and they had the best potty box we had ever seen. It was a large box, lined with plastic and filled with the most amazing mulch. They put it in a crew closet right next to our cabin.

Morey didn't like the furnishings in our cabin so he asked them to move a couch from one of the lounges into our cabin......no kidding.....and, they did it. It made our HC cabin much more comfortable.

They're very accommodating and friendly.

The paperwork is the same that I've used on every single cruise we've taken: The Aphis 7001, filled out by our Vet, one week before the cruise, copy of Microchip info. and Vet exam. I had a copy of our CCI permit with it and presented a copy of all of it at registration.

NCL didn't bug us about any of the paperwork until we were boarding, no pre registering or paperwork to sign.

The ships are decorated very differently than we were used to......kind of a cross between Carnival and RCCL.

Marcia, Barbara, CJ Borne, Peter, Quam, Colleen, Kathi, Barbara, Trudy, Diana, Sandy and Cari.......We haven't heard from you in a while and hope that your lives are good.

I hope you're staying in touch with the thread and just don't feel like writing. When you do please let us know how you're doing.

There's a lot going on and we'd love to hear from you ♥ ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I love you guys - sleep deprived Mrs F is so cheered up after reading all the fun stuff. I loved that thread AlexsPepa, it really appealed to my Scottish sense of humour, but what was even funnier was that some on there believed every word! Hilarious.

Chris - you are priceless! :D

Ah Aunty Roz - i can't believe its two years since that awful time! Just think you can happily carry your bottle of champagne around now (isn't that what those holders are really for???) and fill up to your hearts delight - that Chris will be so jealous! ;):p:D

So we had a tiny breakthrough a couple of nights ago when little teeny slept through from 1030 till 5am when the DH gets up for work. Brilliant, then she went back to sleep till 7 when I got up. It was a flash in the pan, back to broken sleep. I can't wait till she's on 3 feeds and getting out and about.

In saying all of this she's a little star. We decided to have a bit of fun and fundraise at the DH's work place. I thought we could maybe raise a few £ if we did a competition where people could guess Bonnie's name - £1 a guess. I made a big spreadsheet with 50 girls names and included all the names of those we cherish dearly - Brenda, Henri, Raylene, Misty to name but a few - current puppies being puppy walked in this area, you get the idea, and hidden in amongst them was Bonnie.

The prize was a Guide Dogs T shirt. And I promised I would bring Bonnie in for the prize giving and lots of cuddles!

We were starting to worry as no-one had chosen Bonnie and we were down to the last 7 names! By then most folk had picked a name. Anyway, the DH just happened to be walking past where they had the poster up and a couple of young ladies were deliberating on the few names left and one said "oh we've left it a bit late, there's not much choice now, och, I'll just have Bonnie". Thank dawgness, I don't know what we would have done if Bonnie's name hadn't been picked!

Yesterday was the prize giving - "Puppies and Pancakes" -and off we went, Bonnie, me and my friend who is a puppy boarder came to help. I made pancakes* for everyone (as a wee thank you from me), delicious with butter and Scottish home-made strawberry jam and of course a cup of tea! We timed it so we were there for their mid-morning tea break.

The girl who chose Bonnie's name was thrilled to bits that she won!

And I was even more thrilled when they handed me an envelope with £250 in it for Guide Dogs! Can you imagine - of course, I was a big blubb! ! I was going to be happy if we "sold" all 50 names and maybe got £50! People had generously donated much more than the £1 a name.

It was great fun and Bonnie behaved impeccably in the office, quite happily giving out cuddles. She slept for hours when she got home - exhausted- but what a star she is! They all know Aruba as well as she was a frequent visitor to the office, so I have to take her in to visit sometime as they all want to see her as well. My DH is lucky to work with such nice folk.

*The pancakes I make are slightly different from American pancakes - some call them Scottish drop scones. But right now I never want to see a pancake again, well at least for a week or so! LOL!

So Aunty Roz, when you come to visit oor wee hoosie, you will be having pancakes for your afternoon tea! :D

What a great idea for a fundraiser! Love the Bonnie stories.

Dianne

Found it and the cup holder too! Now I just have to find the right time to approach hubby about the "convenience" of having one might be! Heck I might even get one! Dualing Rolling Walkers, OUTTA the way, comin' through!

Mine is blue and it's amazing. I got the 15" seat and it's really comfy. There's also an extra-wide seat if needed.

I do my food shopping by holding onto the shopping cart. I use my walker to hold all my groceries as I go from the car to house. I'm going to use it on my next cruise. If I have good days that I don't need it it can stay in the cabin.

I'll use it when I'm boarding, when my back is hurting and walking from the ship to the car. It folds really easily but I put it fully open into the back of my SUV.

OK...with any luck you will be able to see and read the article about my daughter and her service dog Orson.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/ocean-county/2015/10/19/amazing-dogs-changing-lives/73807954/

GREAT article and video! You guys really are ambassadors for CCI. I loved that story about Orson and the wheelchair wheel. Way to go Orson! Interesting to see him demonstrate some of his skills. I love the way his tail is wagging - they really do enjoy the"game" of service, don't they? Kim made great points in the interview about not limiting yourself, and it is so gratifying to see how Orson can assist in removing some of the obstacles.

It was also good to see Sutter getting into the act there, too - getting very big, I noticed.

I've filled out the paperwork to be an Ambassador for Dogs for the Deaf - have already done a couple of talks at public events. They do a background check on their ambassadors because part of the job is going into people's homes to do recipient candidate interviews. Haven't heard from them for a while... hmm. Maybe they found out about that heist. (Just kidding.)

Thanks SO MUCH for posting this, DKD.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Cuteness overload coming!

We're having puppies! The service dog agency I volunteer with (and got Jagger from) is having puppies next week!!!

https://www.facebook.com/MyAngelWithPaws

They did the cutest photos of Mama Bella and Daddy Ice. The link is their FB page, and the first two photos (as of right now) are what I'm talking about. Love the second photo as it's a composite of a bunch of the cutest ever photos of Mom and Dad. :)

Mama Bella is the more golden dog, and Ice is the whiter dog. (we call him the Iceman and they've decided they are having little icicles)

Edited by thephantomsgirl

OK...with any luck you will be able to see and read the article about my daughter and her service dog Orson.

http://http://www.app.com/story/news/local/ocean-county/2015/10/19/amazing-dogs-changing-lives/73807954/

I loved it!!!!! We are so lucky to have a CCI dog. Please give your daughter my best regards and kiss that "big boy" Orson for me!

How much longer do you think he'll work? He looks so good for a nine year old.

Brenda worked with me until she could no longer go up the ramp into my car easily and she preferred sleeping to working. She was 10 1/2 when she got to stay home with Morey. I let her go with me because she loved to "go to work" but honestly it would make me get teary eyed to watch her. Horton steps up into the back seat so easily.

Thanks so much for sharing your lovely family with us!

Cuteness overload coming!

We're having puppies! The service dog agency I volunteer with (and got Jagger from) is having puppies next week!!!

https://www.facebook.com/MyAngelWithPaws

They did the cutest photos of Mama Bella and Daddy Ice. The link is their FB page, and the first two photos (as of right now) are what I'm talking about. Love the second photo as it's a composite of a bunch of the cutest ever photos of Mom and Dad. :)

Mama Bella is the more golden dog, and Ice is the whiter dog. (we call him the Iceman and they've decided they are having little icicles)

Oh! My! They're so in love ♥ When I got my first CCI dog [a purebred English Lab], I thought I wouldn't ever want any other kind of Lab. Then they matched me with a Successor Lab/Golden cross and I adore the look of this big boy!

It's so hard not to love the face of a Golden Retriever greeting you every morning and kissing you good night! ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I loved it!!!!! We are so lucky to have a CCI dog. Please give your daughter my best regards and kiss that "big boy" Orson for me!

How much longer do you think he'll work? He looks so good for a nine year old.

Brenda worked with me until she could no longer go up the ramp into my car easily and she preferred sleeping to working. She was 10 1/2 when she got to stay home with Morey. I let her go with me because she loved to "go to work" but honestly it would make me get teary eyed to watch her. Horton steps up into the back seat so easily.

Thanks so much for sharing your lovely family with us![/b]

We are thinking that he will go to Alaska with us in August and then we will most likely put in the paperwork for a successor. He still wants to go everywhere but is lagging behind while we are walking and starting to refuse some commands. Like they say...the mind is willing but the body say no. I know the feeling well. :(