Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Holly, what the heck! I know what sore ribs and muscles feel like, I'm still recuperating from my fall [or, should I say push] almost 2 years ago! I have learned how to get up and down [very, very slowly] without killing my back and hip. It hasn't stopped me and I know it won't stop you. Gotta keep going!!!! :D

How did Jagger handle the assault from your brothers dog? Not cool at all! We know he was protecting his territory but NO DOG should be allowed to lunge at other dogs or people in their home. The people are the pack leaders, NOT the dog!!!!! His dog has way too much control!!!! JMHO!

Beckie, YOU are one of our official "lurkers", highly thought of and dutifully appointed! ;)

Cindy, by the time John gets his Van he'll never want to get out of it!

Hey everyone - we had an awful experience this weekend. Our best friends were flying to Phoenix and had just left the ground when their son called us in tears. He was at the vet with their boxer Chloe when she went into cardiac arrest in the waiting room and passed away despite the best efforts of her vet. We rushed over to the vet office and found him huddled over her sobbing his eyes out. I sent my friend a text to call me when he landed and then we waited with Logan until his Dad called. They were terribly upset as you can imagine.

Then I went home and hugged Lucy. Pretty messed up day for sure.

...Then I went home and hugged Lucy...

We just hugged our two pooches too. Every day with them is a gift we are grateful for, especially because they both are older; one is 12 and the other is 14.

The good thing is that your friends' dog Chloe passed while a loved one was there to provide comfort and care. That's worth a lot.

Edited by Host Walt

Hey everyone - we had an awful experience this weekend. Our best friends were flying to Phoenix and had just left the ground when their son called us in tears. He was at the vet with their boxer Chloe when she went into cardiac arrest in the waiting room and passed away despite the best efforts of her vet. We rushed over to the vet office and found him huddled over her sobbing his eyes out. I sent my friend a text to call me when he landed and then we waited with Logan until his Dad called. They were terribly upset as you can imagine.

Oh! No! So, so sad-! I'm so sorry. Sudden death is such a heart breaker.

I'm so grateful that my wonderful Brenda gave Horton and I a chance to say goodbye to her at home before she passed. I can't believe that I handled that all alone with just Horty, me and the Hospice Doctor.

It's amazing what we can do if we really have to. I'm so sorry about your friends experience. Our dogs are so important in our lives. We never want them to suffer. Please let your friends know that your friends on Cruise Critic wish them peaceful days ahead!

We just hugged our two pooches too. Every day with them is a gift we are grateful for, especially because they both are older; one is 12 and the other is 14.

The good thing is that your friends' dog Chloe passed while a loved one was there to provide comfort and care. That's worth a lot.

Yeah that is what I told Logan...he was only home from school because of the flooding in Columbia otherwise she would have been alone (they use a pet sitter when traveling).

My Husband and I have booked our first cruise for December. We will be taking my service dog Buddy. I am beginning the hoop jumping to gather all the paperwork. I am all set with the airlines. I have contacted NCL and I am getting what they need.....but I am confused about what I need for our ports: Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Cozumel, Mexico; Costa Maya, Mexico;

Any advice and direction would be greatly appreciated. I have already contacted Buddy's vet. They stated they would fill out the forms, but it was up to me to gather everything I needed and wouldn't provide anymore advice.

I have been trying to read through the posts to glean information, but that I would just post instead. Buddy is a 4 pound toy poodle, who will have a ride in a specially design back/front pack for when we are in ports of call. This will help me to keep him safe and it will also keep him close to me and keep me calm and in control of myself. :-)

Thank you in advance. I look forward to learning from you

CruisingLynn!

My Husband and I have booked our first cruise for December. We will be taking my service dog Buddy. I am beginning the hoop jumping to gather all the paperwork. I am all set with the airlines. I have contacted NCL and I am getting what they need.....but I am confused about what I need for our ports: Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Cozumel, Mexico; Costa Maya, Mexico;

Any advice and direction would be greatly appreciated. I have already contacted Buddy's vet. They stated they would fill out the forms, but it was up to me to gather everything I needed and wouldn't provide anymore advice.

I have been trying to read through the posts to glean information, but that I would just post instead. Buddy is a 4 pound toy poodle, who will have a ride in a specially design back/front pack for when we are in ports of call. This will help me to keep him safe and it will also keep him close to me and keep me calm and in control of myself. :-)

Thank you in advance. I look forward to learning from you

CruisingLynn!

Lynn, welcome. The paperwork is gotten from a USDA Vet. He/she must completely fill out the Certificate. The name of the cert. is an Aphis 7001 form. And is valid for 30 days after the Vet fills it out and signs it. It's a US Dept. of Agriculture Animal and Plan Health Inspection Service - U.S. Interstate and International Cert. of Health Examination for Small Animals. Ask your Vet if he has such a form......if he's a USDA Vet he will most definitely have the form you need.

It has ALL the information that the various ports/Immigration officials will need to know about your dog.

The officials mainly want to see that your dog is micro chipped and, has had all necessary immunizations including but not limited to Distemper/Parvo. The dates of the above are very important and the Vet will sign the form.

You should have copies of all paperwork from the training org.,Permit card [if given], copy of Buddy's last Vet visit, city license, Microchip form, neuter cert., heartworm antigen test [if done.]

Make 3 complete packets of everything: One to give to the ship upon registration, one to give to Immigration, one to keep with you along with the originals. It's a good idea to hand a complete packet to anyone who asks. When the officials see how organized and prepared you are to travel with Buddy they won't question you. Your travels will be easier for all of you.

Be prepared to answer lots of questions from your fellow passengers. Remember, they had to leave their pets at home and are very curious to know how you got your dog onboard. You know that Buddy is a Service Dog, they do not! You don't have to answer uncomfortable questions, and they will ask them! Just say that he's your Service Dog........You're not required to go into detail with anyone about what service he performs. Allow yourself lots of time to get from one venue to another because people will stop you to pat him. Do allow for some patting.......people who love dogs just can't help themselves. But you do have the right to say, "enough!"

Make sure that Buddy is not barking, licking, sniffing or eating in any public area and is acting with respect and professionalism when in the public. When he's in your cabin, he can be as silly as he wants to be.

Bring his favorite toys and don't forget his water and food bowls. You'll want to check with the Purser's desk as to where they've placed his potty box and if possible have it moved to a convenient spot for you. They can move it to a crew closet, stairwell or even on your veranda.

Have fun! You're lucky that Buddy is small enough to be carried. You won't have to worry about strays and fear that he'll be stepped on!

The Carnival board is having a minor explosion over service dogs. Also on John Heald's FBK page.

As I understand it a cruise this week had three service dogs. Two were typical well mannered service dogs. There were issues with the third one not acting like a well behaved service dog.

Now there's a thread wondering about service dogs on a galley tour.

Thoughts?

Edited by SadieN

Yeah that is what I told Logan...he was only home from school because of the flooding in Columbia otherwise she would have been alone (they use a pet sitter when traveling).

Such a blessing for Chloe that he was there...and especially a blessing for Logan and his parents that you could come right away.

The Carnival board is having a minor explosion over service dogs. Also on John Heald's FBK page.

As I understand it a cruise this week had three service dogs. Two were typical well mannered service dogs. There were issues with the third one not acting like a well behaved service dog.

Thoughts?

Well, Auntie Roz will be visiting that group tomorrow and I'll see what I can add to the fray. Now, I'm going home and resting my back!!!!

Honestly, we all know how easy it is to spot a dog whose not been well trained and you know if I see it.......they got some big splaining to do!!!!!!

Lynn, welcome. The paperwork is gotten from a USDA Vet. He/she must completely fill out the Certificate. The name of the cert. is an Aphis 7001 form. And is valid for 30 days after the Vet fills it out and signs it. It's a US Dept. of Agriculture Animal and Plan Health Inspection Service - U.S. Interstate and International Cert. of Health Examination for Small Animals. Ask your Vet if he has such a form......if he's a USDA Vet he will most definitely have the form you need.

It has ALL the information that the various ports/Immigration officials will need to know about your dog.

The officials mainly want to see that your dog is micro chipped and, has had all necessary immunizations including but not limited to Distemper/Parvo. The dates of the above are very important and the Vet will sign the form.

You should have copies of all paperwork from the training org.,Permit card [if given], copy of Buddy's last Vet visit, city license, Microchip form, neuter cert., heartworm antigen test [if done.]

Make 3 complete packets of everything: One to give to the ship upon registration, one to give to Immigration, one to keep with you along with the originals. It's a good idea to hand a complete packet to anyone who asks. When the officials see how organized and prepared you are to travel with Buddy they won't question you. Your travels will be easier for all of you.

Be prepared to answer lots of questions from your fellow passengers. Remember, they had to leave their pets at home and are very curious to know how you got your dog onboard. You know that Buddy is a Service Dog, they do not! You don't have to answer uncomfortable questions, and they will ask them! Just say that he's your Service Dog........You're not required to go into detail with anyone about what service he performs. Allow yourself lots of time to get from one venue to another because people will stop you to pat him. Do allow for some patting.......people who love dogs just can't help themselves. But you do have the right to say, "enough!"

Make sure that Buddy is not barking, licking, sniffing or eating in any public area and is acting with respect and professionalism when in the public. When he's in your cabin, he can be as silly as he wants to be.

Bring his favorite toys and don't forget his water and food bowls. You'll want to check with the Purser's desk as to where they've placed his potty box and if possible have it moved to a convenient spot for you. They can move it to a crew closet, stairwell or even on your veranda.

Have fun! You're lucky that Buddy is small enough to be carried. You won't have to worry about strays and fear that he'll be stepped on!

Thank you Roz, This is exactly the type of info I was looking for!

Buddy is a very well-behaved little guy. I have had him just over a year and have just recently begun to take him with me everywhere. So far the only one who has given me any grief was the nurse at my drs office. I explained that he is a service dog and she said - "I don't care." I told her I would discuss it with the dr.

Other than that, no issues. Restaurants have been very good about it...I had expected more issues from them. :-)

I know that I will be able to enjoy my trip more with him with me.

Lynn

So sorry to hear that - I am sure that we are all giving our dogs an extra hug today.

Dianne

Hello everyone!

I just love the photos of Henri and Bonnie. Adorable. I need to make an appointment with the dogtor!

I have been quiet lately. There has been so much going on and to deal with. As you know I was recovering from a six day hospital stay from food poisoning. Then last weekend I had a bad fall and got rib contusions and a sprained back. They say the contusions are more painful than a break, and I believe them. :eek:

On top of that, we tried to introduce my brother's dog to Jagger. The CEO of the organization came out to work with them. All went fine until I took Jagger outside. When I came back in, my brother's dog would not let Jagger back into the house. He charged him.

So, it's not going to work out between the two of them. But I need a service dog. So I am making arrangements to find housing. In a way that will be a good thing as I can move nearer the organization as that is where all my friends are.

Definitely will put a crimp in my future cruising, but I knew that would happen someday. I changed my Panama Canal cruise to a 4 day out of Port Canaveral in January. With what I had down for the PC cruise it is paid in full. (hence why my question about the Bahamas)

Probably better to expose Jagger to a short cruise than immediately take him on a 14 day cruise anyway. :D

So sorry to hear your news Holly. Sending you good thoughts and prayers for fast healing and I hope that you find the housing arrangements that you need.

That's too bad that you had to cancel your Panama cruise, but happy to hear that you can at least take a shorter cruise.

Dianne

Thank you Roz, This is exactly the type of info I was looking for!

Buddy is a very well-behaved little guy. I have had him just over a year and have just recently begun to take him with me everywhere. So far the only one who has given me any grief was the nurse at my drs office. I explained that he is a service dog and she said - "I don't care." I told her I would discuss it with the dr.

Other than that, no issues. Restaurants have been very good about it...I had expected more issues from them. :-)

I know that I will be able to enjoy my trip more with him with me.

Lynn

Lynn, some folks [like the nurse] are very skeptical of the small Service Dog. They have no idea what the dog does and think of it as ONE BIG ALLERGEN!

Stay calm, again make sure that Buddy is acting appropriately and wait to see the Doctor. I once actually called 911 when Brenda and I were refused service at a Souplantation restaurant. I stayed calm waited for the officers, explained my predicament and they spoke with the manager, on my behalf and we promptly took a seat. Of course, by the time I got seated, I had no appetite but I wasn't going to leave without making my point.

Don't be tempted when you're in a restaurant and Buddy is lying on the floor or on the seat next to you, to feed him. DON'T START IT! Buddy will get used to the GOOD HABIT of staying where you tell him until you're done, without a treat. And, the public will love you for it!

Lots of folks don't like dogs, are afraid of them or are allergic and really don't like the idea of a dog being in a place where food is being served. Sorry to say this; TOO BAD!!!! My Service Dog has as much right to be with me as another person's cane, walker or wheelchair has a right to be with them!!!!!

Hold your head high, have fun and go about your life!

Thoughts?

I tried to find the thread on Service Dog issues [on the Carnival boards], I couldn't find anything. What's the name of the thread?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I'm so sorry to read this sad news, thank goodness for dear friends like you, your friends must be devastated - I'm typing this with one hand as I cuddle Bonnie under my arm with the 3 biggies at my feet.