Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

My employer tells me that the two employees will be moved to the entire opposite side of the floor. Since we all work in the "campaign" department of the agency we are stuck on the same floor with one women's restroom......although there are bathrooms on all floors from the first to the 12th and they certainly could go up or down to use them, there is one kitchen on each floor and a staff lounge on the 7th floor. In the lounge are candy, coffee machines, pastries, recliners, couches and T.V.'s. Folks go there on their lunch hours or breaks to schmooze and snack.

I was asked if I could go into all of the above areas WITHOUT Horton? I stupidly answered, yes, I could. I said, "I feel badly that these folks are being put "out" because of me." The HR Director thanked me and hung up.

Apparently, the woman who has the fear and the allergies threatened to file a complaint with the EEOC if the dog was in the same area as her!

It sounds like you need to have a meeting with the HR Director - you should not be made to feel that people are being put out because you need your Service Dog! At a minimum, your employer should have to accomodate both disabilities (if the allergies are significant enough to meet the definition of a disability). Perhaps you can be asked if your are willing to not use the lounge at the same time as the other employee, but to exclude you and Horton entirely is not a creative solution.

Dianne

My employer tells me that the two employees will be moved to the entire opposite side of the floor. Since we all work in the "campaign" department of the agency we are stuck on the same floor with one women's restroom......although there are bathrooms on all floors from the first to the 12th and they certainly could go up or down to use them, there is one kitchen on each floor and a staff lounge on the 7th floor. In the lounge are candy, coffee machines, pastries, recliners, couches and T.V.'s. Folks go there on their lunch hours or breaks to schmooze and snack.

I was asked if I could go into all of the above areas WITHOUT Horton? I stupidly answered, yes, I could. I said, "I feel badly that these folks are being put "out" because of me." The HR Director thanked me and hung up.

Apparently, the woman who has the fear and the allergies threatened to file a complaint with the EEOC if the dog was in the same area as her!

Roz, this is so wrong on so many levels. You and Brenda,then Horton were there first. Sounds like the other employees need their issues dealt with around you and Horton. 😿

Let her file a complaint. You have the ADA on your side. Maybe that is what it will take to get your employer to actually follow the law. What's next, no wheelchair accessible bathrooms?

As most of you know, I work for a HUGE non-profit agency that has been around for over 100 years and has offices all around the world.

Our main office is located on Wilshire Blvd, in Los Angeles right on the border of Beverly Hills. A really lovely location. I've been working in one of our smaller offices, about 26 miles from there, because it's closer to where I live. The CEO has decided to close the smaller office and has asked me to come to work in the main office. I accepted and Horton and I are packing up 20 years worth of "Rozzie stuff!" and moving to the big city........Got to pay for traveling with the kids!

Well, two people in the main office went to HR because one states that she is deathly afraid and allergic to dogs and the other says she's just very allergic. The HR Rep. called me and asked if I could go to the ladies room, kitchen and employee lounge without Horton. So, without thinking I answered "yes!" Also, they are going to try and move these two people as far away from Horton as possible.

I brought this up in a CCI Forum and they said this is a classic case of discrimination [against me and Horton] and I should be the one complaining, after all, they can take a pill for their allergies, I can't for my disability. They also mentioned that if a poll was taken as to how many of the 650 people who work in the building, have pets at home it would probably be close to 90%. Those folks are bringing in more dander and pet hair on their clothes and in their hair than Horton could ever expose them to. And, unless everyone is bald and naked, they should re-think their complaints.

I don't like going where I'm NOT welcomed. Geezzz! The folks here are ALL madly in love with my boy.......I'm going to have to walk around, with armor on both of us. Doesn't feel good. And, unless they put a gate on our cubicle or put me behind closed doors Horton will come looking for me if I take too long in the bathroom, or in a meeting where the two "allergies" might be. And, what if I decide I might like to visit the staff lounge.......and, by mistake I take Horton with me? I should be able to take Horton wherever I go, that's why he's called a "Service Dog!" Otherwise, I might as well get a pet to keep under lock and key at my desk!!!!!

My having a Service Dog with me was cleared in 2000 with more paperwork from CCI, my doctors and me than the U.S. Government needs for me to join the Army or the CIA.

What's your thoughts?

When John had Rangeley he went for a mri. The woman there said someone in the office was allergic to dogs and he could not be there. Of course John explained everything but the woman wouldn't budge. So he went home and call the org where he got the dog. The next day he not only got an appointment but an apology letter.

From what I understand, most people that are allergic are fine as long as they don't touch the dog.

Roz, email me your new address plz

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

It sounds like you need to have a meeting with the HR Director - you should not be made to feel that people are being put out because you need your Service Dog! At a minimum, your employer should have to accomodate both disabilities (if the allergies are significant enough to meet the definition of a disability). Perhaps you can be asked if your are willing to not use the lounge at the same time as the other employee, but to exclude you and Horton entirely is not a creative solution.

Dianne

Thanks Dianne, I so agree with you. There is enough "hypervigilance"(sp) that goes on with my particular disability, which by the way, completely disappears with the presence and assistance of my Service Dog. I could barely go through life, let alone work a full-time job before I graduated from CCI and received Brenda in 2002. Horton is now my armor, strength and my ability to keep moving forward. He truly allows me to not worry about the "small" stuff. I watch him, ask him for an "alert" and he does all the hard work. I'm not alone, fearful or doubtful with him around!

I can't allow myself to worry about people around me or whether or not I'm in the right area or is the person standing or sitting next to me going to go into a full panic or allergy attack with the presence of Horton. I've got to stay on my "game" and get past this.

Roz, this is so wrong on so many levels. You and Brenda,then Horton were there first. Sounds like the other employees need their issues dealt with around you and Horton. 😿

Nancy, I'm not asking to be treated any differently than anyone else except that my partner needs to have some accommodations. I go into meetings like everyone else I just go in with a 4 legged friend as opposed to 2 legged one. He lays down and you wouldn't even know he was in the room until I get up to leave. I don't allow him to scratch or sniff, he MUST lay and not make a sound for at least one hour, while the meeting is going on.

If something were to happen during the meeting Horton would immediately come to "alert" mode, I would look at him, give him a directive and he would go to "work" for me! He's MY safety net.

HR will have to handle the other employee's complaints, they're NOT MY problem.

See, the more I hear from you guys and CCI, the stronger I am.

Let her file a complaint. You have the ADA on your side. Maybe that is what it will take to get your employer to actually follow the law. What's next, no wheelchair accessible bathrooms?

Honestly! My employer would like it if I made it as easy as I could for them. Although I've ALWAYS been a team player and will get my hands dirty to get the job done......I feel I'm making too many concessions this time.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to walk out of the women's bathroom with Horton because the only stalls available were too small for Horton and I to go into because my colleagues love the spaciousness of the HC stall. I go back to my desk, leave Horton there, and then re-enter the bathroom. Once, a young woman was walking ahead of me into the HC stall, while there were two other stalls available and I asked her if she would mind using a regular stall so that Horton and I could use the HC one. She actually rolled her eyes at me and said disgustedly, "well, okay!" Very interesting world we're living in these days!

Although, I must say, there are many more thoughtful and caring people than there are selfish and non-caring ones! Thank goodness!

I'm with you, Roz. The workplace needs to fully make the same reasonable accommodations per the ADA that they have made for you in the past. The other people can use other parts of the building if they are unable to cope with a dog. Do those complaining people assume they are within their rights to force their apartment buildings to refuse dogs? Tell airlines to remove service dogs on board any of their flights? Instruct restaurants they'll have to first remove any Guide Dogs so they can enter and eat? Of course not.

UPDATE: Apparantly the Bahamian government has changed their address for the Import Certificate - but have NOT updated it on the website main page!!!

The new address is:

Director of Agriculture

Department of Agriculture

Darvilles Business Complex

Gladstone & Munnings Road

PO Box N 3028

Nassau, N.P., Bahamas

FAX # 242-325-3960

I sent for one in August to the old address but never received it. Tried again late September. Still no luck. So just sent an International Money Order for them to fax it to me (eFax). Also sent a fax to them for snail mail. Hopefully ONE of them will come by January....

Thanks, Holly. How were you able to unearth this, by calling them? I think this is different than on the APHIS website, which is also a different address than what I used a couple of years ago. Who can keep up???

I'm with you, Roz. The workplace needs to fully make the same reasonable accommodations per the ADA that they have made for you in the past. The other people can use other parts of the building if they are unable to cope with a dog. Do those complaining people assume they are within their rights to force their apartment buildings to refuse dogs? Tell airlines to remove service dogs on board any of their flights? Instruct restaurants they'll have to first remove any Guide Dogs so they can enter and eat? Of course not.

Thanks Chris, excellent interjections!

I have to tell you, sometimes it just gets so tiresome to have to worry about my Service Dog, his health, his moods, his behavior, his work ethic, his Vet care, his grooming, his training and his bodily functions.....But, then I have to worry about the public and how they perceive all of the above!

Lord, give me the strength!

Thanks, Holly. How were you able to unearth this, by calling them? I think this is different than on the APHIS website, which is also a different address than what I used a couple of years ago. Who can keep up???

Thanks Holly, after I'm back from Hawaii, I'm going to only travel on the "Mainland" until next year. I don't have any energy left for more......except for picking up a "Foo-Foo" drink, with an umbrella in it, while sitting on my veranda! ;p

So Roz, old addy for this year's card?

Yes, that would be good. I'll be coming back from the cruise on Sat., Dec. 17th and I'll return to my old office on Tues. December 19th to pack up the rest of my stuff and move to the new address on December 21st. I sent the new address to John's email address.

Cindy, I packed Horton's tux that you sent him when I first got him. It's still like brand new. He's so handsome in it.

Roz - maybe some lawyer folks can jump in...but perhaps this is the person you should be talking to/:

The CEO has decided to close the smaller office and has asked me to come to work in the main office. I accepted and Horton and I are packing up 20 years worth of "Rozzie stuff!" and moving to the big city..

He/She has extended you an offer - HR has to make it work now...I wonder if the CEO even knows what is going on?

Keith

I was reading through a thread on the Celebrity Board ranting about fake Service dogs and read the following quote:

"I have been on 2 Celebrity cruises where someone had a true service animal. They could be in close proximity and you wouldn’t even know they were there. Wonderful animals!"

We were on one of the sailings she is referring to and Henri was the only Service Dog on board - its nice to see someone post something complimentary about her!

Dianne

As most of you know, I work for a HUGE non-profit agency that has been around for over 100 years and has offices all around the world.

Our main office is located on Wilshire Blvd, in Los Angeles right on the border of Beverly Hills. A really lovely location. I've been working in one of our smaller offices, about 26 miles from there, because it's closer to where I live. The CEO has decided to close the smaller office and has asked me to come to work in the main office. I accepted and Horton and I are packing up 20 years worth of "Rozzie stuff!" and moving to the big city........Got to pay for traveling with the kids!

Well, two people in the main office went to HR because one states that she is deathly afraid and allergic to dogs and the other says she's just very allergic. The HR Rep. called me and asked if I could go to the ladies room, kitchen and employee lounge without Horton. So, without thinking I answered "yes!" Also, they are going to try and move these two people as far away from Horton as possible.

I brought this up in a CCI Forum and they said this is a classic case of discrimination [against me and Horton] and I should be the one complaining, after all, they can take a pill for their allergies, I can't for my disability. They also mentioned that if a poll was taken as to how many of the 650 people who work in the building, have pets at home it would probably be close to 90%. Those folks are bringing in more dander and pet hair on their clothes and in their hair than Horton could ever expose them to. And, unless everyone is bald and naked, they should re-think their complaints.

I don't like going where I'm NOT welcomed. Geezzz! The folks here are ALL madly in love with my boy.......I'm going to have to walk around, with armor on both of us. Doesn't feel good. And, unless they put a gate on our cubicle or put me behind closed doors Horton will come looking for me if I take too long in the bathroom, or in a meeting where the two "allergies" might be. And, what if I decide I might like to visit the staff lounge.......and, by mistake I take Horton with me? I should be able to take Horton wherever I go, that's why he's called a "Service Dog!" Otherwise, I might as well get a pet to keep under lock and key at my desk!!!!!

My having a Service Dog with me was cleared in 2000 with more paperwork from CCI, my doctors and me than the U.S. Government needs for me to join the Army or the CIA.

What's your thoughts?

Roz,

I am shocked and appalled that any HR person would ask a disabled person to leave their durable medical equipment at their desk while using the restroom, public meeting rooms, and break rooms! Horton is durable medical equipment, and both of you are protected under the ADA guidelines. Was this approach by the HR person to you off the record? Seems to me that it needs to be put on the record. Totally unprofessional and unacceptable to bring this to you at all! They are more concerned about an EEOC complaint from someone who is afraid of or allergic to dogs? What about your option for an EEOC complaint? Would it be the same response if the complainers were afraid of power wheelchairs or scooters? Same issue.

What happens to you and to Horton if there is an earthquake, fire, or armed intruder event while he is at your desk, and you are in one of those "off-limits" places alone? And you cannot get back to him? He is your ears to the world! You are a team and should never be separated except under extreme circumstances!

Sorry for the rant, but this is not a precedent that should be allowed to go on without objection.

Thanks for listening! (Have a wonderful cruise to Hawaii!)

Beckie

Note to all planning to take their service dogs to the Bahamas: We called the Bahamas Dept of Agriculture people today, and they said the OLD address (Box N-3704) as it appears on the current import permit application is STILL valid. They added, however, that it now takes EIGHT WEEKS to process applications. No idea why.

Yes, that would be good. I'll be coming back from the cruise on Sat., Dec. 17th and I'll return to my old office on Tues. December 19th to pack up the rest of my stuff and move to the new address on December 21st. I sent the new address to John's email address.

Cindy, I packed Horton's tux that you sent him when I first got him. It's still like brand new. He's so handsome in it.

Awesome Roz! Hope to see a pic with him wearing it.

Roz,

I am shocked and appalled that any HR person would ask a disabled person to leave their durable medical equipment at their desk while using the restroom, public meeting rooms, and break rooms! Horton is durable medical equipment, and both of you are protected under the ADA guidelines. Was this approach by the HR person to you off the record? Seems to me that it needs to be put on the record. Totally unprofessional and unacceptable to bring this to you at all! They are more concerned about an EEOC complaint from someone who is afraid of or allergic to dogs? What about your option for an EEOC complaint? Would it be the same response if the complainers were afraid of power wheelchairs or scooters? Same issue.

What happens to you and to Horton if there is an earthquake, fire, or armed intruder event while he is at your desk, and you are in one of those "off-limits" places alone? And you cannot get back to him? He is your ears to the world! You are a team and should never be separated except under extreme circumstances!

Sorry for the rant, but this is not a precedent that should be allowed to go on without objection.

Thanks for listening! (Have a wonderful cruise to Hawaii!)

Beckie

Beckie, goosebumps galore for me. You said it all and so eloquently. Did everybody read Beckie's words? They're very, very important for ALL of us who have a Service Dog.

The person who asked if I could leave Horton behind in these various areas is actually an attorney and in charge of the HR Department. What she said was definitely in an "informal" setting and on the phone! I have nothing in writing as to her words to me but it's all very true. I did respond to our phone conversation with an email as to how upsetting her requests were to me.

I'm not a whiner or complainer but lines were definitely crossed. She did NOT respond to my email and, I've decided to include Horton in all that I do and where I go. If someone is unhappy about his presence that's their problem, not mine! THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU!

Note to all planning to take their service dogs to the Bahamas: We called the Bahamas Dept of Agriculture people today, and they said the OLD address (Box N-3704) as it appears on the current import permit application is STILL valid. They added, however, that it now takes EIGHT WEEKS to process applications. No idea why.

Henry, thank you for this information. It's very helpful.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for 15 days on the ocean and in Hawaii with my Horton and my beautiful daughter Lisa. Honestly, I don't think I've ever needed a cruise more than this one.

I will be a mermaid on the sea and let the winds and waves and carefree days TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!

I love you all and will talk to you again on the 19th. Take care of each other please ♥ :*

...I will be a mermaid on the sea and let the winds and waves and carefree days TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!

I love you all and will talk to you again on the 19th. Take care of each other please ♥ :*

Roz, you and Horton will have a wonderful sailing and will enjoy Hawaii.