NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but have just got done (maybe) with a great run around on redeeming Compass Rewards points. Have had the card for only a few months, so just got to 500 points this past statement. So a few minutes ago I called in to redeem for the $500 certificate. This what it took to complete the transaction:

A) Called number on card: 800-421-2110, after the statement balance info I am given only 3 options "1" to complete a balance transfer, "#" to complete this call, or "please hang up if you are done". Select "0" to see where it will take me and am sent to do a balance transfer. The rep transfers me to WorldPoints where there is no options for Compass Rewards redemption's.

B) Called number on statement: 800-900-6651, get 3 same options and select "1". The rep asks about doing a balance transfer and I request a Compass Rewards certificate. The rep knows nothing about the program, so I thank her and say I will try to complete this online.

C) Go to my current statement on the Bank of America site where there is a Compass Rewards symbol and link in the bottom left corner. Select this and it brings up a NCL site and NCL number.

D) Re-call 800-421-2110 and now select "#", message says thank you and hangs up the call.

E) Try for the third time 800-421-2110 and finally select "1". This rep still wants me to do a balance transfer, but at least she does not transfer me to WorldPoints and does know about Compass Rewards. Asks if I want an upgrade or $500. She completes the $500 certificate and says it is in the mail. We will see if it arrives in a few weeks.

So if you are trying to get a Compass Rewards certificate from Bank America be persistent and keep calling until you get a rep that has a clue about the program. Also either 800 number gets you to the same voice mail options, just select "1" for balance transfers and explain that you want a Compass Rewards certificate and do not want to be transferred to WorldPoints. :eek:

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but have just got done (maybe) with a great run around on redeeming Compass Rewards points. Have had the card for only a few months, so just got to 500 points this past statement. So a few minutes ago I called in to redeem for the $500 certificate. This what it took to complete the transaction:

A) Called number on card: 800-421-2110, after the statement balance info I am given only 3 options "1" to complete a balance transfer, "#" to complete this call, or "please hang up if you are done". Select "0" to see where it will take me and am sent to do a balance transfer. The rep transfers me to WorldPoints where there is no options for Compass Rewards redemption's.

B) Called number on statement: 800-900-6651, get 3 same options and select "1". The rep asks about doing a balance transfer and I request a Compass Rewards certificate. The rep knows nothing about the program, so I thank her and say I will try to complete this online.

C) Go to my current statement on the Bank of America site where there is a Compass Rewards symbol and link in the bottom left corner. Select this and it brings up a NCL site and NCL number.

D) Re-call 800-421-2110 and now select "#", message says thank you and hangs up the call.

E) Try for the third time 800-421-2110 and finally select "1". This rep still wants me to do a balance transfer, but at least she does not transfer me to WorldPoints and does know about Compass Rewards. Asks if I want an upgrade or $500. She completes the $500 certificate and says it is in the mail. We will see if it arrives in a few weeks.

So if you are trying to get a Compass Rewards certificate from Bank America be persistent and keep calling until you get a rep that has a clue about the program. Also either 800 number gets you to the same voice mail options, just select "1" for balance transfers and explain that you want a Compass Rewards certificate and do not want to be transferred to WorldPoints. :eek:

Oh, my gosh.......... I am glad we don't need our certificates right away. Last time (April) we had no problem. I will just wait and let them mail out the certificate(s) in January.

Oh, my gosh.......... I am glad we don't need our certificates right away. Last time (April) we had no problem. I will just wait and let them mail out the certificate(s) in January.

Our final payment is due in mid-January; so wanted to get the certificate before everyone's accounts are being closed. Besides today American Express deposited in my Hilton Honors account 10,000 points for signing up and about 4,000 points for a month of activity. With our Miami hotel charging about $240 or 25,000 points for the night we are well on the way to getting our pre-cruise hotel stay for free! :) No WorldPoints for us.

Anyone? Buehler? Buehler?

Seriously, just trying to make a decision: The CruiseOne MasterCard or the CapitalOne for Professionals.

Love the Feris Buehler reference! Can't find a rating for the Cruise One MasterCard. Also, you may have to redeem the points at Cruise One online. I think Capital One may give you more flexibility. I am looking into that one now, too.

Can someone advise me about using points for a cabin upgrade in this situation?

I currently have 830 points and thought (oh no) that I could get a $750 cruise credit. I checked the thread and it looks like $500 is the max increment (no way I can make a $1000 credit by the time I sail, I do try though).

Anyway, with the other 300 points, does anyone know if it is possible to apply for a category upgrade? Looks like 200 points upgrades both individuals in the stateroom, I currently have an AF mini-suite.

So I definitely will take the $500 cruise credit, but I hate to leave those other points floating out there with the changes to the NCL reward points happening at the end of December.

Thanks very much

Can someone advise me about using points for a cabin upgrade in this situation?

I currently have 830 points and thought (oh no) that I could get a $750 cruise credit. I checked the thread and it looks like $500 is the max increment (no way I can make a $1000 credit by the time I sail, I do try though).

Anyway, with the other 300 points, does anyone know if it is possible to apply for a category upgrade? Looks like 200 points upgrades both individuals in the stateroom, I currently have an AF mini-suite.

So I definitely will take the $500 cruise credit, but I hate to leave those other points floating out there with the changes to the NCL reward points happening at the end of December.

Thanks very much

As far as I know, the upgrade certificats aren't much good if you have a mini suite. They only work for inside, OV and balcony staterooms.

The best replacement credit card I've found is American Express Blue Cash Business Card which pays 2.5% cash reward on all purchases.

Does anyone have any experience with this card?

We've gotten ours recently.. I won't be using it till Jan. 1st though.;) I agree, it's a good one, except for the fact that amex is not as widely accepted.

The best replacement credit card I've found is American Express Blue Cash Business Card which pays 2.5% cash reward on all purchases.

Does anyone have any experience with this card?

Blue Cash Business is tiered. You only earn 2.5% on purchases $7500-$15,000. Then it drops to 1% after $15,000 spent. Good card if you regularly purchase from an Open Savings Participant.

Earn 1% on OPEN Savings Participants or 0.5% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is $0–$7,500

Earn 5% on OPEN Savings Participants or 2.5% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is $7,500.01–$15,000

Earn 2% on OPEN Savings Participants or 1% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is more than $15,000

For high spenders the Blue Cash Personal looks better to me.

Earn 1% on gas/grocery/drug store and 0.5% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is $0–$6,500

Earn 5% on gas/grocery/drug store or 1.5% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is $6,500.01–unlimited

I am starting to think that cash back is the way to go, especially in this economy. Amex personal Blue Cash and Capital One No Hassel Cash Rewards........... or the travel rewards version of one of these and the cash back version of the other, since you have to use the credit card for the travel, in order to get the rebate. I already have a cash back Discover, which I have used when we reach are max Compass Rewards for the year.

First...I want to thank the people on these Cruise Critic Boards for alerting me to this "change" in the B.O.A. Compass Reward Program with NCL.

Secondly...am I the only one that never received "official" notification from B.O.A. about this change in the program???

Debjo

My 2 cents is it looked like normal junk mail and if I would not have read about it here, I probably would not have bothered.

Blue Cash Business is tiered. You only earn 2.5% on purchases $7500-$15,000. Then it drops to 1% after $15,000 spent. Good card if you regularly purchase from an Open Savings Participant.

Earn 1% on OPEN Savings Participants or 0.5% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is $0–$7,500

Earn 5% on OPEN Savings Participants or 2.5% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is $7,500.01–$15,000

Earn 2% on OPEN Savings Participants or 1% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is more than $15,000

For high spenders the Blue Cash Personal looks better to me.

Earn 1% on gas/grocery/drug store and 0.5% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is $0–$6,500

Earn 5% on gas/grocery/drug store or 1.5% on all other purchases

when your year–to–date spend is $6,500.01–unlimited

Wow!!! That low-spending tier restriction was SO buried!!! It took a lot of time & digging to find that on the Amex website even knowing it was there from your posting!!

What a restriction -- not many businesses spend less than $15M a year!

Thanks for letting me know BEFORE I ordered the card! You're right that the Amex Blue personal card is so far the best cash back.

I guess all good things must come to an end - just so very sad. We've really been treated well by NCL and love freestyle. I don't think we'll make it to $500 as we're at 201 now and no sense in buying to get those points because if ya can't pay it off you'll spend what credits you get in finance charges - so that's no savings. Although purchasing the coins sounds interesting. Now I'll just watch closely for really good deals and possible cruise closer to home. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone finds a really good point card. Thanks everyone for the great info!

The world points system that Celebrity uses usually gets me at least $50 on board credit just when I pay for the cruise. I think it is going to be the same for NCL, right? Double points for anything spent on NCL. So if your cruise costs $1500 you have 3000 points. Then book your airfare and hotel and your usual automatic charges (like utilities etc) have the 5000 points for an OBC. Comes in increments of $50, so you can do $100, 150, 200 etc.

I wish the couple hundred points I'll have at the end of the year could be used that way, since an upgrade ONE category isn't very good use of $100 credit. I'd rather have OBC.

Just received two 500 point certificates from two of our four BOA cards, and closed the accounts. No point in charging any more to them if we're going to loose the points at the end of the year.

It took twenty minutes on hold to speak to the rep who closes accounts. She must be busy. The loss of the rewards program will definitely reduce the frequency of our cruises. We'll also be looking at other cruise lines since we won't have rewards points to discount the booking.

As said before on this thread, all good things must come to an end.

when they bounced us from our RT Hawaii flight booked 11 months earlier after 15 years with AMEX Delta Skymiles card. 70k miles was 2 RT tickets CLE-OGG til we were told we got tickets from Skymiles & not cash. So a call to AMEX NYC & the CEO was ticked with the lack of respect for a company that gave $46mil for them. So he got us on he flight FC RT & took care of our rental car which was cancelled by Delta. Then he closes our Skymiles & makes us BLUE. Great card with great rewards from their MALL with triple miles. Good for any airline including Virgin Atlants,tic. Good for car rental, gift cards to restaurants. Plus they cover warranties up to 5 years with the 6th on them.

Hilton Honors Signatue Visa is next with great rewards. Earn 3 points for gas, drug stores & groceries, 5 for Hilton Hotel stays icluding meals & purchases at the hotel. Long term HH members get double. Great point deductions for stays since you are automatically SILVER status.

Wow!!! That low-spending tier restriction was SO buried!!! It took a lot of time & digging to find that on the Amex website even knowing it was there from your posting!!

What a restriction -- not many businesses spend less than $15M a year!

Thanks for letting me know BEFORE I ordered the card! You're right that the Amex Blue personal card is so far the best cash back.

when they bounced us from our RT Hawaii flight booked 11 months earlier after 15 years with AMEX Delta Skymiles card. 70k miles was 2 RT tickets CLE-OGG til we were told we got tickets from Skymiles & not cash. So a call to AMEX NYC & the CEO was ticked with the lack of respect for a company that gave $46mil for them. So he got us on he flight FC RT & took care of our rental car which was cancelled by Delta. Then he closes our Skymiles & makes us BLUE. Great card with great rewards from their MALL with triple miles. Good for any airline including Virgin Atlants,tic. Good for car rental, gift cards to restaurants. Plus they cover warranties up to 5 years with the 6th on them.

Hilton Honors Signatue Visa is next with great rewards. Earn 3 points for gas, drug stores & groceries, 5 for Hilton Hotel stays icluding meals & purchases at the hotel. Long term HH members get double. Great point deductions for stays since you are automatically SILVER status.

Could you explain that again please? Had trouble following the message.

Dianne

To maintain a great credit rating it is better to keep the credit card accounts open. As our various cards become less rewarding we just file them away. With fewer major companies offering credit cards you can continue your association with those companies, and that can make getting a different rewards credit card from them easier. We already had credit cards from Citibank and American Express that had different rewards programs and we had not used for most of 2008. So approval went smoothly with both companies when we opened Hilton Honors rewards credit cards in the last few weeks. The total opening bonus points, 10,000 - American Express and 15,000 points - Citibank, will cover our pre-cruise night in Miami. :cool:

Just received two 500 point certificates from two of our four BOA cards, and closed the accounts. No point in charging any more to them if we're going to loose the points at the end of the year.

It took twenty minutes on hold to speak to the rep who closes accounts. She must be busy. The loss of the rewards program will definitely reduce the frequency of our cruises. We'll also be looking at other cruise lines since we won't have rewards points to discount the booking.

As said before on this thread, all good things must come to an end.

Great deal, I heard these types of things might eventually discontinue with the credit crunch.

So approval went smoothly with both companies when we opened Hilton Honors rewards credit cards in the last few weeks. The total opening bonus points, 10,000 - American Express and 15,000 points - Citibank, will cover our pre-cruise night in Miami. :cool:

Don't know if this has been mentioned as I have not read thru the entire thread ...

I called in to cash out some Compass Rewards for a $500 certificate yesterday. The FIRST call the gal transferred me over to NCL (have cashed in a lot of points and never had THAT happen).

The SECOND call, the gal put me on hold FOREVER and finally came back and said my certificate would be mailed to me. I asked her what the problem was as I've never had such a problem in the past cashing in my Compass Rewards. She started in on the "speel" about the program ending ... yadda yadda yadda ... I just told her to send my certificate. whatEVER!

Anyone else having probs redeeming the Compass Rewards? Sheeessshhh .... Maybe it was because a lot of folks took yesterday off so the newbies were the only ones working BoA ccard phones.

~d

This has most likely been adressed but here it is .

I just spoke with BOA about transfering points from one card to another to make my 500 cert . Its a no go , the point transfer minimum is 2500 on all programs( I know a crazy amount ). What ever balance you have left will be made good in some form. :(

since they can bump you from flights you booked with Skymiles. So hat credit card is a joke. So get BLUE from Amex. This way you can get air, car rentals, hotels, cruise rewards, even gift cards to restaurants. Triple points when you buy throught their MALL.

Cashbacks are a joke. They state 1% but that after you have charged $1000-$3000. Even Discover's Gas card has a $100 ceiling for 5% which gets me 7 blockbuster movies every 4 months. SO FORGET THEM!

Then Citi HiltonHHonor Signature Visa which is so much better than B of A's which is WORLDPOINT REWARDS. You get 3 points per $1 for groceries & gasoline. 5 for Hilton hotels, 2 for everything else. Now if we can get them to get NCL with Carnial or instead of arnival. We are HH members for over 20 years so we get double that points. W are SILVER MEMBERS too for more perks at the hotel.

Could you explain that again please? Had trouble following the message.

Dianne