NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

On 3/4/2023 at 2:33 PM, Smitheroo said:

Still confused.  I suspected you wouldnt get any bonus sign up points but can one person have two cards that earn points?  One person posted that once he reached the maximum allowed number of points he started using his other one. One person said he had 3.  I dont have another traveling person in the household so it would be just me.   

I have six BOA NCL Mastercards.   It started when the old program only allowed you to earn x number of points per year.  I would earn that in two months through my business, so I opened additional accounts so I never lost points..  the current program has no such limit so a while back I merged several of my cards so I only had two, then when they would run the 25,000 point special I would apply for a new card.

it goes without saying that for the points to be worth anything you must pravctice good financial stewardship.

BTW, if you don’t know, you can transfer points between accounts at no cost (unlike some airline programs).  When I am ready to use points for an upgrade I transfer points to my main (self designated) card so that the WP agent is having to pull points from multiple places.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 12:12 PM, alwalaska said:

Do you know if there is a way to transfer points online or do we both need to be available to talk to someone to do the points transfer?

Yes, I do it on the BOA app all the time.  Sorry for the delayed answer, but we’ve been cruising! 🤩

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

the current program has no such limit so a while back I merged several of my cards so I only had two, then when they would run the 25,000 point special I would apply for a new card.

Now I'm confused again.  I thought that it was the old program that had no limits and the current one does have a limit (the reason for needing more than 1 card)  Also, someone said that you dont get the bonus points with subsequent cards.

12 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Now I'm confused again.  I thought that it was the old program that had no limits and the current one does have a limit (the reason for needing more than 1 card)  Also, someone said that you dont get the bonus points with subsequent cards.

I said you don't get additional bonus points with more than one card. My business card had an EIN as it's primary identifier but it was still attached to my SS number. I did get bonus on it.  That is how I got away with it. Now you can't keep opening new cards for the bonus points otherwise that would be a great way to amass points.

The old card points never expired, now it's 5 years unless they cancelled a cruise then it's longer.

41 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I you don't get additional bonus points with more than one card. My business card had an EIN as it's primary identifier but it was still attached to my SS number. I did get bonus on it.  That is how I got away with it. Now you can't keep opening new cards for the bonus points otherwise that would be a great way to amass points.

The old card points never expired, now it's 5 years unless they cancelled a cruise then it's longer.

thanks for clarifying. The first step for me is to see how fast I accumulate points. I may not need a second card.

14 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

The old card computed points differently and you were limited to 1,000 points per card.  But it is gone, so forget about it.

the new program (which has been around for a very long time now) has no annual limit, so there is no need for multiple cards except for the bonus points, unless you use the cards for specific purposes.

yes, you receive bonus points on any new card, but it is per account,  not per user.  
say you open a brand new account for one user.  You get 20k points (or whatever the current promo is).  If you add another user to that same card you still get 29k points.  However, if that secondary user or applies for and receives a card of their own,the you both receive bonus points.

is that clearer?

BTW, if you are applying for multiple cards, you probably can’t apply for additional cards right away, I’ve always waited close to a year or so.  But I’ve never paid much attention to when I added the cards.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

23 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Yes, I do it on the BOA app all the time.  Sorry for the delayed answer, but we’ve been cruising! 🤩

Thank you for all of your help.  I hope you had fun cruising.

I just transferred the points this morning and did our double meta upgrade to a balcony.  It was super easy after all of the great things I learned here on this thread.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

The old card computed points differently and you were limited to 1,000 points per card.  But it is gone, so forget about it.

the new program (which has been around for a very long time now) has no annual limit, so there is no need for multiple cards except for the bonus points, unless you use the cards for specific purposes.

yes, you receive bonus points on any new card, but it is per account,  not per user.  
say you open a brand new account for one user.  You get 20k points (or whatever the current promo is).  If you add another user to that same card you still get 29k points.  However, if that secondary user or applies for and receives a card of their own,the you both receive bonus points.

is that clearer?

BTW, if you are applying for multiple cards, you probably can’t apply for additional cards right away, I’ve always waited close to a year or so.  But I’ve never paid much attention to when I added the cards.

Thank you, makes much more sense now. I must have been looking at very old posts

My NCL World Mastercard arrived today in the mail.  I've been reading through all the rules and fine print. My question is "What can you use the points on this card to pay for?"  For example, what does the following refer to:  

"Unless specifically authorized by Us , points and rewards may not be combined

wiith other discounts, special rates, promotions or other reward programs offered by Us."

One specific question I have is can you use your points to pay for the service charge for the beverage package when the package is a "Free at Sea Deal" since that is a "promotion".   

Another one- can you use both a CruiseFirst certificate and points on the cruise fare (even when the cruise is advertised "50% off")

Thank you. 

10 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

My NCL World Mastercard arrived today in the mail.  I've been reading through all the rules and fine print. My question is "What can you use the points on this card to pay for?"  For example, what does the following refer to:  

wiith other discounts, special rates, promotions or other reward programs offered by Us."

One specific question I have is can you use your points to pay for the service charge for the beverage package when the package is a "Free at Sea Deal" since that is a "promotion".   

Another one- can you use both a CruiseFirst certificate and points on the cruise fare (even when the cruise is advertised "50% off")

Thank you. 

Go to the rewards tab on your BOA account and you will see what is available.   The best use, IMHO, is for cabin upgrade, you can also get OBC or statement credit.  

yes you can use it with a CN certificate.

7 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Go to the rewards tab on your BOA account and you will see what is available.   The best use, IMHO, is for cabin upgrade, you can also get OBC or statement credit.  

yes you can use it with a CN certificate.

Some people on here say that a cabin upgrade isnt the best use of the points.  I have no idea yet.  I will check the BOA account. I had a heck of a time getting that straightened out. Turns out I already had a BOA online account from 2006 lol. 

21 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Thank you. 

I used my points for an upgrade.  What I do with most cards is look at the value of the different options.  As MagnoliaBlossom (who has helped me out a ton on this thread) said, you can look at all of the options on the Rewards tab, but what wasn't clear to me was that once you click on the Rewards tab, you then click on Redeem Rewards Points. 

image.png.223df3b3281149d5e1672deea5b78510.png

Once you do that, what wasn't clear to me was the next step is to click the colorful Learn More on the Reward Yourself Box rather than the other options.  

image.png.b01c09dc262c76076a4bedebfe9285d4.png

So for me, the double meta upgrade saved me just over $4,000 and cost me 60,000 points.  In contrast to that, 60,000 points equal $600 in Amazon or similar gift cards or $600 worth of cruise discounts or OBC. I'm not sure how the free cruise thing works, but it looks like you need 80,000 points for a 3 or 4-day Bahamas cruise interior cabin and those really aren't that expensive right now.

I'd be curious to know what 7-day Mexican Riviera or Caribbean cruise options work, but those look like they are around 180k, so again, for me, not as good of a deal as my upgrade, but every situation will be different for people.

Good luck and have fun picking something fun to work towards.

2 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Some people on here say that a cabin upgrade isnt the best use of the points.  I have no idea yet.  I will check the BOA account. I had a heck of a time getting that straightened out. Turns out I already had a BOA online account from 2006 lol. 

Where you see value, others may not and only you can decide.  For us, we are balcony cruisers so I look at the cost of an inside and ocean view.me if the difference is small then I will book the OV and use 30,000 points to upgrade to a balcony.  The cost difference is usually much more than value of OBC or statement credit.

OBC is an unsound way to use your points because it leaves money on the table.  Instead, use your NCL MC to pay your onboard account.  You will get triple points as it is an NCL charge.  Then get home and cash in points to pay off that amount.

if you get OBC, you get zero points, by using the above scenario you get triple points and still get the benefit of paying your onboard expenses.

• Like 2

Newbie question.  I noticed I have 30,000 points on my MC and I'm looking at booking a 19 day Egypt cruise on Dawn for November this year.  I was going to book an inside and just deal with it, but with the points and the possibility of a balcony, I'm looking at booking an OV to upgrade.

Do I have to book the best available OV which is the Family OV in order to get an Aft Facing Balcony which is the best available - or do I have no chance of getting an aft balcony? I honestly think there is only 1 left. If I can't get a really good balcony, I'd rather just stay in my inside and save the money.  This will be a month long trip for us and I'd splurge for the aft balcony but I'm not really interested in paying extra for the OV.  

What should my strategy be for this and should I do the upgrade online or call?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I haven’t used an upgrade in years BUT unless they have changed the rules, the most you can upgrade to is a BA balcony. When I booked my double meta upgrade (Inside to Balcony) I called the reward folks,  told them what I wanted to end up in (I had a specific stateroom on Norwegian Sun I wanted, they found the lowest price inside that I could book that they could then use the points to upgrade me into.  

Good Luck!

9 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

they found the lowest price inside that I could book that they could then use the points to upgrade me into.  

I've not actually booked it yet, so perhaps I should call Rewards and do as you did.  "What do I have to book to get xyz."  The price differences in these categories are quite a bit at this point.   

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, kismetique said:

I've not actually booked it yet, so perhaps I should call Rewards and do as you did.  "What do I have to book to get xyz."  The price differences in these categories are quite a bit at this point.   

Thanks!

Most welcome-just paying it forward. 

20 hours ago, kismetique said:

Newbie question.  I noticed I have 30,000 points on my MC and I'm looking at booking a 19 day Egypt cruise on Dawn for November this year.  I was going to book an inside and just deal with it, but with the points and the possibility of a balcony, I'm looking at booking an OV to upgrade.

Do I have to book the best available OV which is the Family OV in order to get an Aft Facing Balcony which is the best available - or do I have no chance of getting an aft balcony? I honestly think there is only 1 left. If I can't get a really good balcony, I'd rather just stay in my inside and save the money.  This will be a month long trip for us and I'd splurge for the aft balcony but I'm not really interested in paying extra for the OV.  

I'm a semi-newie too, but here are some ideas.  I think Clay was correct when he said BA is probably the highest that you can upgrade to, but you can call the number on the redemption page and ask them.  Depending on the itinerary would help me decide whether or not a balcony would be worth the points and possibly extra cost.  

I had hubbie get the NCL card as well which gave us another 25k sign-up bonus and then we put charges from our previous cruise on it to get us the rest of the way to 60k to upgrade from interior to balcony. We booked an IA on the Spirit and were told we were eligible to upgrade to BB.  Not sure what would have happened if we had booked an I3 or I4. 

You can definitely go from an oceanview to a balcony, but maybe not an aft balcony.  

One thing to be aware of, if you do the upgrade and prices decrease, you will be, according to everything I have read, locked into the price and NCL will not even give a future cruise credit for any price decreases.

22 hours ago, kismetique said:

Highest balcony on an upgrade is a BA.

21 hours ago, kismetique said:

Thanks!

When in doubt always call the WP people.

1 hour ago, alwalaska said:

I'm a semi-newie too, but here are some ideas.  I think Clay was correct when he said BA is probably the highest that you can upgrade to, but you can call the number on the redemption page and ask them.  Depending on the itinerary would help me decide whether or not a balcony would be worth the points and possibly extra cost.  

I had hubbie get the NCL card as well which gave us another 25k sign-up bonus and then we put charges from our previous cruise on it to get us the rest of the way to 60k to upgrade from interior to balcony. We booked an IA on the Spirit and were told we were eligible to upgrade to BB.  Not sure what would have happened if we had booked an I3 or I4. 

You can definitely go from an oceanview to a balcony, but maybe not an aft balcony.  

One thing to be aware of, if you do the upgrade and prices decrease, you will be, according to everything I have read, locked into the price and NCL will not even give a future cruise credit for any price decreases.

Welcome to the wonderful world of World Points!  A few things I know a CN for what it’s worth I’ll throw in some history as it may help you understand why you get some differing answers to questions.

upgrading to a balcony- now a days you can book a lower level interior or ocean view to upgrade to a lower level balcony.   If you do not have to have a BA for location reasons then see what level on your particular ship is acceptable to you.  If you’re okay walking off your cheesecake then a BD may be fine for you, especially if you like a little more motion of the ocean.  Save some money and ask what you have to do to get a level you’re happy with.  In the ancient of days, you had to book the highest cabin in your lesser category to upgrade to the next level.  No longer true but be aware of that when booking.

Price drops -  this is really stinky but it is what it is.   When I was a pup, you could book at say $500, do your upgrade and life was good.  Then there’s a sale (outside of final payment) and the rate you booked is now $400.  Yea!  They would give you a price adjustment towards your final payment.   Along comes the shut down,everyone loses their hiney and the cruise lines are looking to hang on to every cent they have.  (I understand I owned a small business and it was scary). Sooo, the first time I called my fabulous PCC of 14 years who has never done me dirty, she says the price hasn’t gone down.  But,  Name, I’m looking at your website and it shows an I4 at less than $500.  Yes, but that’s not how it’s computed any longer.  The rate reduction is based on the cabin I am in now, say a BA, not what I paid for.  Very sneaky, as closer to sailing, prices of balconies do not usually drop, but inside and/or ocean views do.   

refundable points - points used to be returned to your account if you cancelled your cruise.  Have done it a few times.   Now your WP agent when he’s confirming your upgrade will tell you something like “WP redemptions are non-refundable”.  First time I heard that was what!  When did that happen?   He said that is the policy but there are exceptions and it is reviewed by a supervisor.   I’ve not heard anyone hear report that they lost their points, but it could happen. Just be aware.

if you are considering a second card and time is not of the essence, watch the offer closely.  It varies from 20,000 to 25,000.   

if you and your husband have oddball amounts of points you can transfer points from one another’s accounts free of charge.  Easy to do online.  And a piece of old timer advice, don’t book your upgrade online.   There are a few catches to online booking (it’s relatively new) and I advise speaking to an agent for the most assured situation regarding your redemption.

23 hours ago, kismetique said:

You cannot get an aft. Not no more.

2 hours ago, alwalaska said:

A few months ago I got FCC for.price drops a few weeks prior to sailing.  They just treated my inside as an inside even though I used points to a balcony. I got almost $3k.

To top that, I also won my bid into Haven 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At the time I called, I had not booked the cruise yet (I have now based on the employees suggestions). 

Here's what he told me... He was very nice and helpful. He said to book the lowest level OV...I said, even the Obstructed OV? Yes, absolutely he said. He said to call back after I booked and see if they could "slip" me in to an Aft Balcony, but definitely not the Club Balcony Suite. 

I had the cruise on hold, but needed to make changes to the cabin and take off air, so I called to book it. He assigned the cabin and said, you don't care right, since you plan to upgrade? Correct. He then said there are plenty of balconies left, so you might wait to upgrade to see if the OOV drops in price. Get your drop, then upgrade. I like to have things settled, but I have an elderly mother in very bad health and don't want to lose my 30k points if I have to cancel.

These suggestions are just what I was told... Who knows if it's the same when I call back. I was just surprised when the first guy said he could try and slip me into the Aft Balcony from a OOV!!! He sounded very sincere. Not sure if he can see what other cruises I have booked or if it even matters, but I have a suite and 2 mini-suites booked next month for a Jewel cruise. 

Thanks to everyone for your input!