Seasickness Question

Scotts73

My family is planning an Alaska Cruise for summer of 2008. One of us has an inner ear disorder that can cause motion sickness. Curious, we want to do the Inside Passage Cruise, and we figure that part of the cruise will be very smooth...BUT how is the cruise from Seattle up to Alaska typically? I posted on another board and almost everyone said it's pretty smooth, one woman had a very rough day headed north...anyone on here had any problems with an Alaska Cruise and VERY rough seas? Thanks! :)

the 1st night, after we left the protected area of the sound, it got mildly bouncy. a couple of the folks from the roll calls didn't make it to the meet and greet the next morning. after 11am it smoothed out. next rough water was on the whale watching, water caps in auke bay. then the night we left glacier bay, heading south to ketchikan, it got rocking and rolling, again. coming back, around vancouver island, it was smooth. just can't tell what the weather will do.

the inside passage is a very large body of water, it's capable of getting rough any time. take your meds and keep some ginger in your pocket.

Cruise from Seattle to vancouver is the open ocean so it could be a little rough, inside passage should be smooth. If you suffer from inner ear problems I would suggest taking like Dimetapp or something to keep your head clear so the pressure does not go into your ears. My husband uses these ear plugs called AirFlight Plugs, they are not just ear plugs they are meant for flying to avoid cabin pressure. He uses them whether we are flying, driving in high altitudes or cruising. You can find them in most drug stores, Target & Walmart. Hope this helps

Three Alaskan cruises, and I have been ill a couple of different times on two. There are definitely areas that can be rough. Go prepared... often your naturalist or one of the crew members can give you head-up regarding upcoming 'rough areas'.

Last month after leaving Vancouver we hit the open ocean and it was indeed rocky for six hours or so. Quite a few people were sick that first morning, however, by lunch things smoothed out and that was the last of the roughter seas. My wife was sick for about 6 hours, had some ginger ale, took some Dramamine, and was fine the rest of the trip. Inside passage was like sailing on glass!

Anytime you take a cruise, you are on the water and the seas can be rough. What may seem rough to some, isn't so rough to others.

My first cruise Southbound from Seward, we hit what I thought were rough seas. We were on the lowest deck of the "old" Noordam, but well above the waterline in calm seas. When I looked out the window, the waves were crashing over our window. I have no idea how big they were, but we were rocking and rolling for one night.

After we actually entered the Inside Passage, the sea was like glass. My husband is prone to seasickness but didn't have a problem at all, even the rough night. Bothered me more than him, but mine was fear, not seasickness.

I would go to your Doctor and get a perscription for Transderm. It is a patch that is placed behind the ear. It has the least effects of any remedys for sea sickness and is the best working out there.

For anyone who’s struggled with motion sickness, whether in a car, a plane, or a boat, solving it can seem like a puzzle. You may try different medications or change your diet, but still motion sickness can hold you back. Luckily, there is Transderm Scop®.

• The only prescription patch that helps prevent motion sickness
  • In clinical trials, 5 out of 6 Transderm Scop® patients reported no drowsiness
  • Transderm Scop® helps prevent motion sickness for up to 72 hours
  • The Transderm Scop® Travel Patch is easy to use—just apply the dime-sized patch to the skin behind your ear at least 4 hours before you leave

:)

We use meclizine, which is also marketed as Bonine in the US, when needed. Since I dislike taking medicine, I usually rely on ginger from the Yum Yum man at dining room exit - so far so good.

If rough water is expected, I'd probably take a chewable meclizine tablet BEFORE hitting the rough water.

A physician warned me that some users of the "patch" have serious reactions - I'd never use it.

We'll be in Alaska later this month with a family group and ordered 100 chewable meclizine tablets at our pharmacy - cost about $10. You can also get a few free at front desk of most ships.

Have a great cruise and stay well!

Seattle has the roughest sailing of the Alaska cruise ships, next are the one ways, last is Vancouver. HOWEVER, it is not "smooth" sailing Inside Passage. I've been on plenty of ships that had boatloads of sick passengers. :) And I've seen sick passengers on every ship, no way to predict who will get ill nor the sea conditions, or the particular conditions that will tip you over the edge. :)

Bottom line- prevention- consult your health care professional for the best options for you.

Archived