No Jeans - Summer Palace Pearl

kb996

After responses to a different thread I've decided to start this one.

We were on the July 1st sailing of the Pearl and the Summer Palace restaurant was designated "No Jeans" for dinner.

The first 2 days of the cruise the daily said "after 5:30 no shorts, tank tops or jogging suits". On the 3rd day the daily changed to say "after 5:00 presentable jeans are permitted in all restaurants except Summer Palace."

Yes, they were turning people away. We had got back late from our shore excursion and didn't feel like changing for dinner. We were told Summer Palace would not serve us with jeans on. We went to Indigo instead and it was CRAZY! I was a little confused and noticed a sign at Indigo that said "... No Jeans at Summer Palace" Later I read the daily carefully and saw the small print.

We changed for dinner the rest of the week and enjoyed very quiet, excellent service at Summer Palace.

The OP's point is that, during his cruise, the policy was changed. When we cruised on the Pearl in May, jeans WERE allowed in the main dining rooms --- both of them. As he stated, for the first couple of days of the cruise, the only "banned" apparel items were shorts, tank tops, and jogging suits -- which is exactly how it's phrased in my freestyle daily. On the 3rd day, the policy was changed to disallowed jeans in the Summer Palace. They were still allowed in Indigo, which is the other main restaurant.

Now the question becomes, is this a fleet-wide change??

The OP's point is that, during his cruise, the policy was changed. When we cruised on the Pearl in May, jeans WERE allowed in the main dining rooms --- both of them. As he stated, for the first couple of days of the cruise, the only "banned" apparel items were shorts, tank tops, and jogging suits -- which is exactly how it's phrased in my freestyle daily. On the 3rd day, the policy was changed to disallowed jeans in the Summer Palace. They were still allowed in Indigo, which is the other main restaurant.

Now the question becomes, is this a fleet-wide change??

We were on the Majesty this past week. My understanding was that jeans were okay in the Seven Seas dining room but not in the Four Seasons. I honestly didn't pay close ehough attention to know if it was enforced, and since this was our first NCL cruise I don't know if it was a new policy.

And just in case anyone was wondering... denim skirts are considered "jeans." (It was a nice knee-length skirt, not faded, ripped, etc.) It didn't cross my mind that my skirt would be unacceptable in Summer Palace, but I wasn't offended that I was sent to change. The maitre d' discreetly requested, "I'm sorry, but after you're seated would you please go change your skirt? Some people will find it objectionable." My husband didn't know that anything was wrong until after we were seated and I told him I had to leave.:o

And just in case anyone was wondering... denim skirts are considered "jeans." (It was a nice knee-length skirt, not faded, ripped, etc.) It didn't cross my mind that my skirt would be unacceptable in Summer Palace, but I wasn't offended that I was sent to change. The maitre d' discreetly requested, "I'm sorry, but after you're seated would you please go change your skirt? Some people will find it objectionable." My husband didn't know that anything was wrong until after we were seated and I told him I had to leave.:o

Denim skirts have long been an "is it or isn't it the same as jeans" question. I guess now we know (at least in this case). Perhaps they should change it to read: "No denim attire" rather than "no jeans" just to be clear and cover everything.

I don't imagine it would have crossed my mind either. Sounds like you and the maitre d' both handled it graciously.

beachchick

As per NCL:

You can now wear presentable jeans in all dining venues for Breakfast, Lunch and at the designated restaurants for dinner. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips, and in good condition.

As per NCL:

You can now wear presentable jeans in all dining venues for Breakfast, Lunch and at the designated restaurants for dinner. Presentable jeans are clean, without holes and tears, not overly faded, worn at the waist or hips, and in good condition.

My husband hates to have to change for dinner and will be absolutely thrilled that he can wear his jeans! Did you get this information on the NCL website? I'd love to be able to show it to my hubby because he probably wouldn't believe me!

My husband hates to have to change for dinner and will be absolutely thrilled that he can wear his jeans! Did you get this information on the NCL website? I'd love to be able to show it to my hubby because he probably wouldn't believe me!

I asked. We were on the Sun in May and they were allowing jeans. We are on the Star next April and was curious if the policy was on all ships.

I was on the Pearl in May and jeans were permitted in all restaurants. I guess by not permitting them in Summer Palace, but in other venues... both sides can now be accommodated and happy?!?!?!?!?!!?

yes, The website has been updated:

How should I dress for dinner?

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please – morning, noon and night.

Casual attire is perfect for all restaurants during the day -- Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts or whatever. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant.

For dinner, collared shirts and pants or nice jeans work for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. But if you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, that’s OK too – we’ve reserved one restaurant each night just for that.

For kids 12 and under, nice shorts are appropriate in all restaurants at all times.

I don't understand... khakis can be every bit as comfortable as jeans. Why do people insist on wearing jeans???

I wonder that every time I read one of these threads. What's the big deal with jeans? Sure I have jeans too, but I just don't get the idea that people just about refuse to be parted from their jeans for any reason.:confused:

I applaud NCL for finally taking a stand on this policy instead of flip-flopping as they have been. If one restaurant is designated "no jeans," and presentable jeans are allowed in the others, AND they are clear on what's what, they are accommodating everyone and ending the confusion that's been rampant in recent months.

Good job, NCL. (Now can we have one restaurant free of tacky ball caps?)

Flip-flopping? Sounds like that is what they are doing. On the Pearl in May and June you could wear jeans anywhere anytime and now in July you can't?

Sounds like a flip-flop to me and a very confusing one at that. Just when you think you've got it right they change it the week you go! Many pack according to current changes as read here and then be the ones they changed the dress code policy on is not right. First off they send you a pre-phamplet which spells out how you can pack and what to expect for dress on your cruise. You pack accordingly only to find you packed wrong? That's just not right. That's flip-flopping with a capital "F"! Not everyone reads these boards so this news will not affect the other 98% that pack by the guidelines sent by NCL for your pre-packing. I guess this is no worse than NCL sending you coupons with your tickets that state good for a 2 for 1 price at any of their fine speciality resturants only to find when you get on board they refuse to honor those coupons in "some" resturants. Or this is not worse then to post when dining hours are open only to find when you go to eat they closed it 30 minutes early. I've found the only constant on NCL is their ability to change anything at anytime without any notice!

Flip-flopping? Sounds like that is what they are doing. On the Pearl in May and June you could wear jeans anywhere anytime and now in July you can't?

Sounds like a flip-flop to me and a very confusing one at that. Just when you think you've got it right they change it the week you go! Many pack according to current changes as read here and then be the ones they changed the dress code policy on is not right. First off they send you a pre-phamplet which spells out how you can pack and what to expect for dress on your cruise. You pack accordingly only to find you packed wrong? That's just not right. That's flip-flopping with a capital "F"! Not everyone reads these boards so this news will not affect the other 98% that pack by the guidelines sent by NCL for your pre-packing. I guess this is no worse than NCL sending you coupons with your tickets that state good for a 2 for 1 price at any of their fine speciality resturants only to find when you get on board they refuse to honor those coupons in "some" resturants. Or this is not worse then to post when dining hours are open only to find when you go to eat they closed it 30 minutes early. I've found the only constant on NCL is their ability to change anything at anytime without any notice!

Sounds like a flip-flop to me and a very confusing one at that. Just when you think you've got it right they change it the week you go! Many pack according to current changes as read here and then be the ones they changed the dress code policy on is not right.

I've found the only constant on NCL is their ability to change anything at anytime without any notice!

I think the problem is not the flip flopping, it is NCL's lack of giving "lead time" before they implement a change. The same is true of the new smoking policy.

Right or wrong on these policies, there should have been a longer lead time and notification sent out to people that these changes are coming. That way if people don't want to sail because they are smokers, they have a chance to get out and not be stuck. People who only want to wear/pack jeans and shorts, would have had time to know of the change and pack something else. What if someone on one of the ships this week had read that jeans were ok and all they packed were jeans and shorts? Now that person wouldn't be able to go to one of the restaurants.

BUT, if they had got notification ahead or if this new policy was announced a few weeks in advance, then they could have packed a pair of kahkis or dockers.

The issue is not flip flopping, the issue is failure to give enough time before implementing a new policy. Of course, its NCLs standard way of doing things...don't tell people anything that might make them cancel, just stick them with it when they get on board and there is nothing they can do about it.

Sounds like a flip-flop to me and a very confusing one at that. Just when you think you've got it right they change it the week you go! Many pack according to current changes as read here and then be the ones they changed the dress code policy on is not right. First off they send you a pre-phamplet which spells out how you can pack and what to expect for dress on your cruise. You pack accordingly only to find you packed wrong? That's just not right. That's flip-flopping with a capital "F"!

By "flip-flopping," I meant that NCL has been in the habit these last months or perhaps years of allowing jeans even though most (not all) of their official materials prohibited them except on Texas-originating cruises. Some maitre d's allowed them and some did not, some ships did and some did not. You never knew what you were going to get. Obviously, NCL was trying to straddle the fence by having a policy but being careful about enforcement so as not to get touchy guests up in arms.

That didn't work. The inconsistency and lack of clarity just confused and annoyed people.

Now at last NCL has clearly spelled out its policy, and I applaud them for it.

Am I the only person who thinks its kinda nuts to cancel a cruise because

they only allow jeans in one restaurant and have changed the smoking policy to be more in line with the majority?

I can understand folks being a bit upset because they apparently changed policy mid-cruise about the Jeans but are people really considering cancelling cruises because NCL is doing their best to accomodate everyone?

Am I the only person who thinks its kinda nuts to cancel a cruise because

they only allow jeans in one restaurant and have changed the smoking policy to be more in line with the majority?

I can understand folks being a bit upset because they apparently changed policy mid-cruise about the Jeans but are people really considering cancelling cruises because NCL is doing their best to accomodate everyone?

Yah - it amazes me to that some people are making such a fuss over relatively trivial changes. All we have ever cared about 'dress wise' is not having to wear formal wear ever and NCL has been quite consistent about that. I certainly can't imagine cancelling a cruise because ONE restaurant won't allow jeans at night.

Yah - it amazes me to that some people are making such a fuss over relatively trivial changes. All we have ever cared about 'dress wise' is not having to wear formal wear ever and NCL has been quite consistent about that. I certainly can't imagine cancelling a cruise because ONE restaurant won't allow jeans at night.

Evidently those who may have been planning to eat every single meal in that one restaurant require long-term notice of such a sweeping change. ;)

Archived