Going Solo

earl_m

My 8a on the Conquest was exactly the same as for a double occupancy.

No matter, this will be my first cruise solo and I'm really looking forward to it. No need to cater to someone else's whims, indulge myself, and just chill in general.

It's worth it.

on CCL for 1A g't..what I pay...cuz i do it verry often...this is the guideline. online TA rate..5 day..ie: $299..less port tx..$119, less fed tx $39.10..leave cost of cabin..$141..50% of that amt is $70..add back port tand fed tx..$369. it isnt all charges x 2....just on room amt...My cruises are paarox...$308..low as $289 last yr, and as high as $329..up coming..I drive, so no air..but I do stay at a Holiday Inn the night b4:D ..hope this guides you....I have been upgraded often as much as 6 cats. 3 cats on next one. Not a window snob tho....lucky

Hi,

I always cruise with my daughters or my sister..But lately I can tell I want to cruise alot more than they do...Now everytime I call and say hey what are you doing on such or such date..they say no this is to soon to the last one..

I pay for my daughters to go...but that does mean I use up lots of their vacation time...

but I' not sure I'm brave enough to go alone..I have thought about doing the west coast because the flight is short..But I'm pretty quite and not sure if I would be able to have anyone to vist with..I don't think I would have the nerve to walk in to the main dining room alone..Damit I hate being such a chicken..I know I could do the buffet but then I would be alone...

How do you meet people with out feeling like your intruding on their cruise?

have a great day,

Carla

ps. I'm 58 years old so It's not like I'm going to have lots of eyes on me!!!

I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat:p I got an email from a TA that advertised a 40+Singles on HAL. They have a room mate program you sign up for. If they can't find you a room mate, you pay the double occupancy rate. They have "get together's" so you get to meet people. You also dine with the over 40 + group....sooooo you're not dining alone & you're meeting new people & making new friends:D . I've put my fear behind me and I 'll be sailing on the Westerdam Feb 2008!

What is the going rate for cruising solo.

Earl: as you read above there are differences in what is available when it comes to computing solo suplement. Without a doubt, CCL has proven to be the best choice financially when cruising alone -- but it takes some time with online research, and an ability to travel off-season to get the ultimate bargains. I have rarely paid the 150% that is routinely quoted, but I do realize that even that is better than some other lines that easily charge 175-200%

An example of a bargain I found and just couldn't pass on (calling within two minutes of seeing the price and thinking it was a goof they would later correct) was a 6-day sailing on Carnival Freedom that quoted a per person rate of $319 double occ. A steal! When I changed the parameters to solo cruiser, the rate barely went up at all - $369 including solo suplement ($439 after taxes, etc.). Cruising for seventy-three bucks a day was something I couldn't resist.

Good luck with your cruise research. There are definitely some great bargains to grab with the right timing.

I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat:p I got an email from a TA that advertised a 40+Singles on HAL. They have a room mate program you sign up for. If they can't find you a room mate, you pay the double occupancy rate. They have "get together's" so you get to meet people. You also dine with the over 40 + group....sooooo you're not dining alone & you're meeting new people & making new friends:D . I've put my fear behind me and I 'll be sailing on the Westerdam Feb 2008!

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I'm married and my husband will not cruise at all......So a single meet would not work for me..

have a great day,

Carla

Hi,

I always cruise with my daughters or my sister..But lately I can tell I want to cruise alot more than they do...Now everytime I call and say hey what are you doing on such or such date..they say no this is to soon to the last one..

I pay for my daughters to go...but that does mean I use up lots of their vacation time...

but I' not sure I'm brave enough to go alone..I have thought about doing the west coast because the flight is short..But I'm pretty quite and not sure if I would be able to have anyone to vist with..I don't think I would have the nerve to walk in to the main dining room alone..Damit I hate being such a chicken..I know I could do the buffet but then I would be alone...

How do you meet people with out feeling like your intruding on their cruise?

have a great day,

Carla

ps. I'm 58 years old so It's not like I'm going to have lots of eyes on me!!!

Carla

i've just done my 3rd solo cruise - 4th already booked.

The dining rooms one of the parts I look forward to- I always book a large table on a traditional fixed sitting - I just walk in with the crowd and sit.

This last cruise I actually managed to meet up with a cruise critic member (& a couple from another board) & that helped.

If you aren't already aware of it, you should visit the solo cruisers board on CC - you are sure to get loads of encouragement there

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Karen

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I'm married and my husband will not cruise at all......So a single meet would not work for me..

have a great day,

Carla

You sound like me

My boyfriend wont cruise either so I take his daughter a lot.

You should be able to "come out of your shell".

You can make friends for life on a cruise.

I have a TA that has solo info but cant give out that info as it is not allowed, but yet to have used it as I get someone to go with me

Go for it Carla going solo does have its perks

Karen

Hi,

have a great day,

Carla

Carla,

I think you misunderstood what I meant about the 40+singles...they are people that travel by themselves and happen to be over 40. About a year ago, I became a widow....I lost my partner and like you my children or friends don't want to cruise as much as I do.

What is the going rate for cruising solo.

My 8 nights September cruise solo 5A cabin comes to $1699 including prepaid tips, taxes, fees, etc. :( But, I need this trip, I'm going to have fun. The price of airfare, hotels, meals, entertainment for a non-cruise vacation would be at much more. My cruise stops in San Juan. Airfare and hotel to San Juan for the dates I am free averages $1600 per travel web sites. Add to that food, entertainment, etc, and the cost would be exorbitant. A solo cruise is actually a good value. Had I chosen a less expensive room, obviously the value would increase. Plus, I love to cruise, excellent service, everything is right there, no cabs, no reservations.... Just get on board and the vacation begins. Can you beat it?

Hi,

have a great day,

Carla

I cruise solo all the time, older than you, not looking, don't do the single thing, but do meet up w/ CC-ers on here/rollCall..my dates..I go to most of the stuff on board, chat up table mates..always same table and chair..that's always a conversation starter, I'm a semi fluffy female but tidy and well groomed. I usually end up the tour/info/ person. I get a swee-t in the lido, sit down/ask first..and start a chat. Find someone interesting looking, ask where they are from..voi la..new onboard friends. I dont count on hangin w/anyone, but last cruise 2 gals were so nice to invite me..we had a terrific time.As for dining, the MD can be a great help at assigning the kind of table mates of your choice. Try it..you won't be wearing the scarlett letter!!!

You sound like me

My boyfriend wont cruise either so I take his daughter a lot.

You should be able to "come out of your shell".

You can make friends for life on a cruise.

I have a TA that has solo info but cant give out that info as it is not allowed, but yet to have used it as I get someone to go with me

Go for it Carla going solo does have its perks

Karen

Hey, Karen! I started reading your post and thought, "gee, that sounds familiar", then I looked up at the name! You didn't see my post up a little higher on this thread? :D

Hey, Karen! I started reading your post and thought, "gee, that sounds familiar", then I looked up at the name! You didn't see my post up a little higher on this thread? :D

Yes I saw you and started reminiscing(sp) of our Grand cruise.What fun:D .

I see you have another one booked and some of the old gang is joing you. Now thats great.

Want to do a cruise from that side of the country

Have the Conquest booked again for January though.

Hope( I know you will) you all have lots of fun as I did with the Grand cruise.

Karen

Well for my 7 day on conquest, the rate was $549 pp, went solo and it came out to be $750 total.

Thats about right, we booked our MIL as she will be Solo in her Cabin, the price was something like 469.00 and the single rate was around 700.00

Fred

Well for my 7 day on conquest, the rate was $549 pp, went solo and it came out to be $750 total.

For a rate of $449 on Conquest the 1A came out to be $639.

You only pay the single supplement on the cruise portion, not the port charges. Someone above said you would pay exactly the same on a regular, non 1A cabin as 2 people which is not correct, you subtract out the port charges which are included in the price and the add on taxes for the 2nd person.

For a 5 day on Ecstasy rate of $269, the single rate on the 1A came to $419.

Hi, what is the date of this Westerdam cruise? Thanks.

Archived